Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Honestly, there's not really enough meat to a character in 5e that you really need digital help IMO, other than for spells. And there are numerous options for either printing those out or running a spell book app on your phone.

If you want to keep things neat, just grab a form-fillable sheet or type junk into OrcPub or something. None of the free/3rd party versions of the builders have anything other than the basic rules, and the D&D Beyond pricing model is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I think what I missed is the sentence that specifies that you can't have more sorcery points than the number listed for your level on the Sorcerer chart. In that case, it's not quite so bad; I sort of doubt the adventuring day is going to last long enough that you'd burn through all of your sorc slots and take more than one short rest beyond that. Sacrificing a 4th- or 5th-level pact slot as a 3 sorcerer is a little wasteful, but I think that's an okay trade. I'd certainly be willing to allow that while keeping that in mind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CeallaSo posted:

I think what I missed is the sentence that specifies that you can't have more sorcery points than the number listed for your level on the Sorcerer chart. In that case, it's not quite so bad; I sort of doubt the adventuring day is going to last long enough that you'd burn through all of your sorc slots and take more than one short rest beyond that. Sacrificing a 4th- or 5th-level pact slot as a 3 sorcerer is a little wasteful, but I think that's an okay trade. I'd certainly be willing to allow that while keeping that in mind.

I actually didn't notice that limitation either and it's a pretty significant one - I'd be somewhat tempted to ignore it even, lest my player go pick bard or wizard instead.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mendrian posted:

There's D&D Beyond which is the official-ish builder.

If you are like me, having modest income and being and old who likes dead-tree books though, their pricing model kinda sucks.

For me its less the income thing and more being routinely burned by WotC digital products after using MTGO and the 4e online character builder, I just don't trust WotC digital.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's kind of heavyweight but there is MorePurpleMoreBetter's character sheet. By default it only contains SRD material because of a WotC cease and desist but there are scripts to -re-import the non-SRD stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpmb/comments/7gkjkw/sheet_downloads_faq/

If you guys are using roll20 then you can also just do it on there - it's not automated or anything but it will save you from entering data twice.

This should be perfect....thanks a ton.

ImpactVector posted:

Honestly, there's not really enough meat to a character in 5e that you really need digital help IMO, other than for spells. And there are numerous options for either printing those out or running a spell book app on your phone.

If you want to keep things neat, just grab a form-fillable sheet or type junk into OrcPub or something. None of the free/3rd party versions of the builders have anything other than the basic rules, and the D&D Beyond pricing model is a joke.

I don't know why, but building a character with pnp is just far less satisfying, to me, than building it in some builder app, excel based or otherwise. No clue why, it just feels more "real" to me in a way I can't really define.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Turns out one of our student placement guys in work plays D&D and was having trouble with spells, so he was advised "Splicer looks like the kind of nerd who plays D&D"

(said by the kind of nerd with a hardback Warhammer short story collection on his desk)

Long story short, forest gnome druid with 13 wis :smithicide:

e: I also got to explain the relationship between levels vs spell levels and ability scores vs ability score modifiers. I hate this loving game so much. How does it pack so much newbie trapping bullshit into one sheet.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 22, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Splicer posted:

Turns out one of our student placement guys in work plays D&D and was having trouble with spells, so he was advised "Splicer looks like the kind of nerd who plays D&D"

(said by the kind of nerd with a hardback Warhammer short story collection on his desk)

Long story short, forest gnome druid with 13 wis :smithicide:

Now I'm not some kind of 5e expert but that seems less than ideal

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blockhouse posted:

Now I'm not some kind of 5e expert but that seems less than ideal
Forest gnome and forest land druid both live in forests so they're clearly a good match!

I'm not mocking him. That's honestly sound logic. In a game not made by idiot men.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Splicer posted:

e: I also got to explain the relationship between levels vs spell levels and ability scores vs ability score modifiers. I hate this loving game so much. How does it pack so much newbie trapping bullshit into one sheet.

I never got this. Those are incredibly simple concepts with simple math. How are those traps?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Reik posted:

I never got this. Those are incredibly simple concepts with simple math. How are those traps?

"I'm level three so does that mean I get level three spells?"

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Ability scores are a mess because the game gives you a choice to build a charismatic fighter or a buff hermit wizard but neither of those concepts work with the mechanics. It's a false choice because there's a correct answer (put the highest thing in what your class does, increase it until it's 20).

The game does tell you some about what scores are useful for what classes IIRC, but it doesn't emphasize it or tell you a minimum you should shoot for.

Ideally, the game would give you an automatic minimum value in the score you should care about, like Gamma World 7e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reik posted:

Why does your sheet contain 6 numbers that do nothing except derive another 6 numbers that are used everywhere?

Why is 11/11 worse than 10/12 in literally every possible way?

At what level can you cast a level 2 spell?

Serf
May 5, 2011

the score you put the highest number in should automatically be used for your main abilities. hit people with CHA or cast spells with STR who cares

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

Ability scores are a mess because the game gives you a choice to build a charismatic fighter or a buff hermit wizard but neither of those concepts work with the mechanics. It's a false choice because there's a correct answer (put the highest thing in what your class does, increase it until it's 20).

The game does tell you some about what scores are useful for what classes IIRC, but it doesn't emphasize it or tell you a minimum you should shoot for.

Ideally, the game would give you an automatic minimum value in the score you should care about, like Gamma World 7e.

It's not even that. A +2 to Strength and a +2 Strength modifier are two very different things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not even that. A +2 to Strength and a +2 Strength modifier are two very different things.
There was a good 5 minutes of confusion over this while I tried to explain why he couldn't just swap his 16 int and 13 wis because he actually had a 14 +2 in int. It was like an Abbott and Costello bit.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Splicer posted:

Why does your sheet contain 6 numbers that do nothing except derive another 6 numbers that are used everywhere?

Why is 11/11 worse than 10/12 in literally every possible way?

At what level can you cast a level 2 spell?

How else are you going to track a benefit that shouldn't be a full +1 modifier but should get you closer towards one. For example, taking two feats that both give +1 Strength.

If you take 1 point of ability damage with 11/11, your modifiers are still 0/0. If you take one point of ability damage with 10/12 your modifiers are now -1/0.

It depends on how you are obtaining those spells. Are you an Arcane Trickster, or a Wizard? Have you multi-classed? Are you suggesting people get a new level of spells every time they level up regardless of how they obtain those spells?

Cat Face Joe posted:

"I'm level three so does that mean I get level three spells?"

No, character level is not the same as spell level.

ImpactVector posted:

Taking away choice in an effort to idiot proof a system usually makes the system worse.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 22, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Splicer posted:

Forest gnome and forest land druid both live in forests so they're clearly a good match!

I'm not mocking him. That's honestly sound logic. In a game not made by idiot men.

Oh I just meant the 13 wis I will never begrudge anyone playing a "bad" race/class combo because that's basically all I do.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

maybe they should change the terminology for one of them

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Reik posted:

Thanks but did you read the poast I was responding to?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

Taking away choice in an effort to idiot proof a system usually makes the system worse.

loving wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reik posted:

A choice that isn’t actually a choice doesn’t benefit anybody

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It is arguably useful to have derived stats like ability score mods derived from ability scores, or spell levels derived from character levels (if nothing else it enables finer distinction in terms of determining ability scores or of character advancement), but the newbie trap in there is that the terminology is mad confusing and none of it is going to change because The Grogs Would Revolt Again. Frankly I'm just happy that we've reduced the number of obtuse tables keyed to the six stats by folding so much of what they used to do into the score modifiers.

I'm running a 5e game where half the players (and in fact myself: I've run 3e and 4e but not 5) are completely new to the system or have barely played D&D at all, and the ability score one in particular trips the newbies up all the time.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 22, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Reik posted:

I also love where instead of presenting me with two options that are both viable, the game presents me with 10, 2 of which are viable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
D&D presents you with a myriad of choices, most of them wrong.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elfgames posted:

loving wrong.

It sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree on this point?

Serf posted:

maybe they should change the terminology for one of them

Why? The word "level" is appropriate in both cases, and it takes all of 10 seconds to explain.

Andrast posted:

A choice that isn’t actually a choice doesn’t benefit anybody

That's true if you assume the choices that are being taken away are all false choices. I don't think that's the case when it comes to ability score distribution.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Thanks but did you read the poast I was responding to?

Weren't you responding to my post?

Glagha posted:

I also love where instead of presenting me with two options that are both viable, the game presents me with 10, 2 of which are viable.

D&D is a game of choice. What is viable in one gaming group may not be viable in another.

Splicer posted:

D&D presents you with a myriad of choices, most of them wrong.

So does life.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

Why? The word "level" is appropriate in both cases, and it takes all of 10 seconds to explain.

i dunno, clarity? re-using the same terms to mean different things is usually bad writing and design

Reik posted:

So does life.

the game is not life

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
see this just proves you should roll for scores and then roll which score goes to which stat and balance based on that

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

see this just proves you should roll for scores and then roll which score goes to which stat and balance based on that
You're right. We should all play Reign instead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah gently caress it dude, it's dnd, forget about game balance or sense and roll up 4-5 level 0 characters each with 3d6 down the line and see who lives.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah gently caress it dude, it's dnd, forget about game balance or sense and roll up 4-5 level 0 characters each with 3d6 down the line and see who lives.

what's wild is that this works beautifully for something like stars without number but would be a nightmare for d&d

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

i dunno, clarity? re-using the same terms to mean different things is usually bad writing and design

the game is not life

That's like saying they shouldn't call them "hit rolls" and "damage rolls" because they both use the term "roll". We should call them "hit rolls" and "damage probabilistic determinations" for clarity.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

That's like saying they shouldn't call them "hit rolls" and "damage rolls" because they both use the term "roll". We should call them "hit rolls" and "damage probabilistic determinations" for clarity.

exactly, thank you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Serf posted:

what's wild is that this works beautifully for something like stars without number but would be a nightmare for d&d
I think it'd work fine in basic dnd even, it's the later games that live in the unhappy medium where characters seem simplistic but are still a bear to create from nothing.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

What does an "Attack" action mean in the context of 5e?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

I dunno, man. What if you, like, kept choices and made sure they were good ones?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Reik posted:

I don't think it is exactly like that.

I run a massive newbie game once a month and get 2-3 brand new people every time. Explaining spells is the most time consuming part and probably half my players don't grasp it the first time. "At what level do I get 3rd level spells" is tied for, "what is a spell slot" in terms of explaining poo poo.

Just call them tiers. Or circles. I am glad you have never had this problem because it sure is annoying!

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think it'd work fine in basic dnd even, it's the later games that live in the unhappy medium where characters seem simplistic but are still a bear to create from nothing.

to be fair i've never read basic d&d

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

It's easy, though. You roll your hit dice to see if you hit, and then spend hit points to make up the difference. Once you hit, you make a hit roll to

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Allowing someone to make a blatantly worse choice in their character does not become viable at any table. It doesn't matter if the game isn't geared toward optimized characters, making challenges and events in your game well balanced toward characters that are just objectively worse at doing things than other characters is only shifting the burden of actually balancing your drat game on the GM to fix your game for you. It also makes it so that any player who makes even the barest of optimal choices like "putting ability scores in the right place" just... better than other people in the group, which sucks for both the player who now feels like they're upstaging everyone, and the rest of the group, who is being upstaged.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Starting Tomb of Horrors next week, working on my character. Thinking Fighter 8 Paladin 6, and going Brute for the fighter archetype as a halfling with the Lucky and Resilient (Dex) feat for maximum saving throw nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
make people who know how to optimize stats play martials, balance problem solved