Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.behance.net/gallery/65657739/Thom-Yorke-The-Last-Action-Hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The fellow who's having an overreaction to an art style in a children's cartoon does come off a little unhinged, but jumping at the opportunity to diagnose a dude for his opinion ain't making you look much better.

i think you're conflating the opinion with the unhinged way in which the opinion is expressed

like, i don't like the look of Thundercats Roar, but I'm not going on loving insane tweet-storms about how I had a screaming fit at the state of the animation industry. i'm just... quietly griping about it when it comes up and ignoring it otherwise.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Bottleneck Gallery released these earlier today to their "Bottlebux Members" as an exclusive.

Karl Fitzgerald's Metropolis poster:

I love love Fitgerald's style so it was an instant buy for me (this is the variant).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundercats looks like poo poo, but who actually cares? Did people actually watch it or He Man?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Did people actually watch it or He Man?

Of course?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It turns out those incredibly popular and successful cartoons shows were, in fact, popular and successful.

Both series ran for 130 episodes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think you're conflating the opinion with the unhinged way in which the opinion is expressed

like, i don't like the look of Thundercats Roar, but I'm not going on loving insane tweet-storms about how I had a screaming fit at the state of the animation industry. i'm just... quietly griping about it when it comes up and ignoring it otherwise.

I liked Polygon's writeup of the backlash against the new show because it points out that the entire complaint of "CalArts style" is effectively meaningless due to overuse while at the same time illustrating that a lot of the backlash is due to people being dissatisfied at the show's art style being uncreative and derivative rather than this gender identity culture war people on both sides are trying to spin it as.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So what? The original Thundercats was created in the standard style of its day too. It looks just like GI Joe which looked just like He-Man which looked just like the goddamn Superfriends.

People are so loving entitled.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Erotic Wakes posted:

I liked Polygon's writeup of the backlash against the new show because it points out that the entire complaint of "CalArts style" is effectively meaningless due to overuse while at the same time illustrating that a lot of the backlash is due to people being dissatisfied at the show's art style being uncreative and derivative rather than this gender identity culture war people on both sides are trying to spin it as.

That's a stupid rear end complaint considering the original Thundercats, He-Man, etc all looked exactly the fuckin same, 3 frames of animation and all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
While people complaining about the art style being overused and people complaining about it being a comedy for kids could be two theoretically different categories, as far as I can tell the two are a 100% overlap venn diagram of people

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Peanut President posted:

That's a stupid rear end complaint considering the original Thundercats, He-Man, etc all looked exactly the fuckin same, 3 frames of animation and all.

They looked so similar that the only way you could tell them apart was their intros, which were more often than not one-offs made by an entirely different studio.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

So what? The original Thundercats was created in the standard style of its day too. It looks just like GI Joe which looked just like He-Man which looked just like the goddamn Superfriends.

Similarly, the 2011 thundercats looked pretty much identical to Avatar or Young Justice. Thundercats has always been intensely derivative and terrible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I have no idea what thundercats or any of these other shows people are comparing about are, but...

This is almost minions levels of uninspired.
I'm sure context helps. But that's some ugly character design.

But hey if it makes losers mad, I'm all for it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 23, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who cares when at least two of those are genuinely well written kids cartoons. I'm pretty sure 90% of the cartoons I watched when I was young were way dumber than the shows kids have now.

Also, 2011 Thundercats was surprisingly well written.

The new Thundercats might suck, but if it makes kids happy that's fine with me

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

People are so loving entitled.

The original Thundercats was a deeply medicore show in a sea of other mediocre toy commercials, even the people who worked on it couldn't pretend it was good. The last Thundercats reboot was also just a shallow imitation of what was previously popular and it was subsequently panned and forgotten due to its mediocrity. In a better world this too would be allowed to pass instead of becoming the a battleground in the Nerd Culture Wars just because some bad people dislike the show for the wrong reasons.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I have no idea what thundercats or any of these other shows people are comparing about are, but...

This is almost minions levels of uninspired. What the hell is that one bottom left? Who approved that character model?

Steven Universe, it's a good show. In fact all of those are good shows and they looked unique and great when they premiered around the same time as the last Thundercats reboot was cancelled.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lizard Combatant posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried watching Steven Universe but it’s got nothin I dig in it. Animation looks smooth though.

Gravity Falls is the best.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Erotic Wakes posted:

The original Thundercats was a deeply medicore show in a sea of other mediocre toy commercials, even the people who worked on it couldn't pretend it was good. The last Thundercats reboot was also just a shallow imitation of what was previously popular and it was subsequently panned and forgotten due to its mediocrity. In a better world this too would be allowed to pass instead of becoming the a battleground in the Nerd Culture Wars just because some bad people dislike the show for the wrong reasons.

Steven Universe, it's a good show. In fact all of those are good shows and they looked unique and great when they premiered around the same time as the last Thundercats reboot was cancelled.

Yeah I realised as soon as I posted it that I should probably just look it up, but you caught my edit. Yeah the colours and many of the other character designs are quite nice, but it's odd to make your titular character so bland.

(I'm sure they're all very well written, wouldn't know)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Everything sucks, but especially cartoons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nothing will be as bad as anime

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It feels like everyone was much more willing to poo poo on an arbitrary shift in tone and art style when it was this thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of people were unhappy with the Legend of Galactic Hero redesigns too

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s just a bullshit meme someone made to push the “cartoons are derivative!” message, given how off the characters look. It’s particularly absurd that it’s trying to argue Gumball (bottom right) is an uncreative show; it’s one of the most visually inventive cartoons ever made.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 23, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
But, strangely enough, people were generally OK with the Captain Tsubasa cartoon taking big liberties with the character designs from the comic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can make stupid charts too

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I would like to retract all opinions on cartoons new or old.

e: for clarity it was the post two above that showed me the folly of my ways.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Man. It's like that I idea I had but was too lazy to execute on just manifested itself in front of my eyes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They looked so similar that the only way you could tell them apart was their intros, which were more often than not one-offs made by an entirely different studio.

As a kid I was an idiot because the intro to every show and episode promised amazing animation (and action) that never actually happened. Every time it was "But this episode it will be different...!"

Well actually I haven't learned anything. I'm still watching Dragonball Super.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

As a kid I was an idiot because the intro to every show and episode promised amazing animation (and action) that never actually happened. Every time it was "But this episode it will be different...!"

Well actually I haven't learned anything. I'm still watching Dragonball Super.

I think the all time king of this is Silverhawks, which looks like an OVA in the intro and the cartoon itself its like Scooby-Doo poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Erebus posted:

It feels like everyone was much more willing to poo poo on an arbitrary shift in tone and art style when it was this thing.

That’s because the intended audience rejected it. The people whining about Thundercats Roar are mostly adults complaining that it’s being marketed to an audience segment that isn’t them

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Steve Yun posted:

That’s because the intended audience rejected it. The people whining about Thundercats Roar are mostly adults complaining that it’s being marketed to an audience segment that isn’t them

The ultimate injustice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the all time king of this is Silverhawks, which looks like an OVA in the intro and the cartoon itself its like Scooby-Doo poo poo.

That first time you see a clip of anime from a Gundam/Macross/whatever and something fires off those dozen swirling missiles and you realize it's the actual show and not the intro that's a moment that sucks a lot of kids into anime.

The anime tried living up to the promise of the intros, man.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

you forgot the butt-chins on the outlines

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lobok posted:

That first time you see a clip of anime from a Gundam/Macross/whatever and something fires off those dozen swirling missiles and you realize it's the actual show and not the intro that's a moment that sucks a lot of kids into anime.

The anime tried living up to the promise of the intros, man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
An excuse to share useless anime trivia!

Macross was a testing ground for cheap Korean animation labor, and because episodes rotated between teams (one of them I think was made up of students) some episodes looked great and some looked pretty janky. Budget savings they had on some episodes meant they could splurge on other episodes, raising the quality beyond what had been seen on TV before

Because of what the animation industry learned from Macross, there was an explosion in the production quality of anime in the 80’s and 90’s as more in-betweening work went to Korea and quality control was tightened.

Spaghetti missiles were the specialty of a particular Mr Itano who was called into several different shows because nobody could keep the flight paths of a dozen different missiles straight in their head like this guy. It was often nicknamed the Itano Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 23, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star OVA was basically any of those Toei animation intro quality spread throughout an entire movie. Kenshiro as a golem walking through a building is still something pretty amazing. There's also the entire holocaust segment where the Earth is depicted as giving birth to/conceiving Lynn.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like it's worth noting that even this is still better animated than the average he-man era cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Steve Yun posted:

Spaghetti missiles were the specialty of a particular Mr Itano who was called into several different shows because nobody could keep the flight paths of a dozen different missiles straight in their head like this guy. It was often nicknamed the Itano Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

This poo poo just blew my loving mind as a kid.

Turning on the Saturday morning cartoons in the 80s consisted of watching generic Loony Tunes for half an hour, then lovely three frames a second Super Friends which was like watching a presentation done by someone with down syndrome using dollar store crayons. Then maybe something like GI Joe or Centurians would come on which were just loving insulting at every level..

Then Robotech would come on and there was just nothing like it, both in plot and in animation.

Such a drat shame the industry went and dedicated itself to pursuing the pervert market and 30 minute toy commercials which made Super Friends look like quality animation.