Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Moto3 jump dude describes his experience:

https://www.autosport.com/moto3/news/136225/moto3-kornfeil-describes-crazy-jump-save

In short: his airbags went off midflight, his dick hurt (not his balls) and he broke his carbon fiber seat in the landing. But otherwise fine.

I was body surfing once in waves that were probably too big, and a wave I was riding picked me up and slammed me down into the bottom, pinching my dick between the hard sea floor and my pelvis. It was the worst pain I had ever felt in that region and I haven't been able to piss in a straight line since :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was body surfing once in waves that were probably too big, and a wave I was riding picked me up and slammed me down into the bottom, pinching my dick between the hard sea floor and my pelvis. It was the worst pain I had ever felt in that region and I haven't been able to piss in a straight line since :(

thats the worst username story i have ever heard

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

....welp now I can understand why I can't piss straight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The doctor said as a result of the injury I have a "narrow urethra"

If i ever have to pass a kidney stone I'm hosed :ohdear:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah it's a delicate balance, for me it came down to getting the most usable images possible so I didn't like going too low, just enough to convey some speed. I remember experimenting going really low and it not working out well very often, and some of my shots with more blur weren't being sold so i stuck with what was selling which was mostly shots of NASCAR drivers :v:

Other races like Sebring and Indycar i would gently caress around and experiment more because i wasn't selling much of that stuff anyway.

Motorsports photographer sounds really interesting. I would read a thread about that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i will hereafter warn any offspring about the dangers of squishdick and why body surfing is way lamer than actual surfing

honda whisperer posted:

Motorsports photographer sounds really interesting. I would read a thread about that.

this too

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

xzzy posted:

Moto3 jump dude describes his experience:

https://www.autosport.com/moto3/news/136225/moto3-kornfeil-describes-crazy-jump-save

In short: his airbags went off midflight, his dick hurt (not his balls) and he broke his carbon fiber seat in the landing. But otherwise fine.

Airbags????

**Googles**

https://rideapart.com/articles/how-motorcycle-airbag-suits-work

Holy poo poo I had no idea that existed

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sneakyfrog posted:

i will hereafter warn any offspring about the dangers of squishdick and why body surfing is way lamer than actual surfing

this too

Mine wasn't body surfing, it was riding a dirtbike in jeans and regular boxers. I cased a jump and landed with my dick, all my body weight pressing it in to the rigid edge of the gas tank.

I legit had a blood blister on my cock from the hit. Do you know how terrifying it is to be 12 and have your dick not only feel as if it got hit by a sledgehammer, but also it now has a blood filled sack growing on it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

It's on balance quite boring punctuated with a few seconds of excitement. And in my case it tends to also come with a lot of dust and dirt.

Hopefully going to shoot NCR in two weekends time

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

I haven't done it in ten years, but it was a lot of fun. Got published in SI, ESPN, etc. Got berated by Tony Stewart, almost got killed by a tornado at talladega, good times!

I got out of it because the money was getting worse the longer i was doing it (thanks to digital), rights retention were becoming issues, and the politics were loving horrible as well.....But the main thing was I would have never been home so that wasn't gonna fly for me, I needed to be home for my son. If I was single I probably would have stuck it out a lot longer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frogon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Squishdick would be a really cool punk band name.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What do you want to know? You guys can ask me any questions about it if you want.

I also have a shitload of images :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

What do you want to know? You guys can ask me any questions about it if you want.

I also have a shitload of images :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The doctor said as a result of the injury I have a "narrow urethra"

If i ever have to pass a kidney stone I'm hosed :ohdear:

By the time a kidney stone is riding your urethra you'll be on too many painkillers to care. It's the drop from the kidneys to your bladder you'll feel.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Jonny Nox posted:

By the time a kidney stone is riding your urethra you'll be on too many painkillers to care. It's the drop from the kidneys to your bladder you'll feel.

That and they've got a sonic tool that disintegrates the little fuckers now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i went to the doc on monday and its so drat high tech now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I got out of it because the money was getting worse the longer i was doing it (thanks to digital)

Nah it's not just digital, the money is poo poo now due to assholes like me who have pro level equipment, is happy to tramp around searching for a good photoplace, arguably every bit as good as a pro and does it because they love the sport and is happy to do it for free just because it's a hobby as we have income elsewhere.

TBH it's not uncommon the pros turn up with lesser cameras and lenses than the amateurs - like I'll go into a forest with two camera bodies, three L-Glass lenses and a bunch of supporting equipment in a backpack that make the pros jealous. Let alone say at the WRC last year there was a group of us on the fence and worst lens was a Bigma attached to a 60D.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50-500mm-f-4-6.3-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

While my 2.8 L 70-200 is a step up it's not like I'm unique as a amateur having big buck L-Glass and pro cameras. Or pro level workflow tools. Or the contacts to get access. Or contacts to get published.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
internet ruined everything

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watched Deadwood, if I ever get a whiff of kidney stones I'm gonna have the doctors amputate everything below my ribs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah it's not just digital, the money is poo poo now due to assholes like me who have pro level equipment, is happy to tramp around searching for a good photoplace, arguably every bit as good as a pro and does it because they love the sport and is happy to do it for free just because it's a hobby as we have income elsewhere.

And that wasn't a problem until digital became a thing.

I knew I was hosed when i got hired to to cover Daytona for NASCAR Scene (a publication), and one of the other guys they hired that i was rooming with was a dentist that flew in from loving new york on his dime to work for a $100 day rate with no rights retention. He told me the exact thing i just quoted you saying.

And for the record I didn't give up my rights for that shoot and made even more money off the images after NASCAR Scene ran them.

[e] And as far as telling EVERYTHING I wouldn't even know where to start really, I need specific questions.

If enough of you guys were interested I might start a thread.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 23, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:justpost:

how did you get into the field and why

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

internet ruined everything

While digital made it easier and more accessible, I was carrying around mid level cameras in the late 80's / early 90's and was published. If anything 25 years ago, it was much easier for a amateur to get good access as OH&S was seen as a joke. In 1992 I set up in a culvert and had cars basically going past my nose.... one car basically cut the corner so much the front wheel was over the culvert and I could just about read the tyre's sidewall.

These days to work an event, you need insurance, PPE, signed waivers etc and accreditation is harder to get int he first place. Working an event basically means you get to stand in places the general public are not allowed close to so it's worth the effort but a far cry form the "yeah you can do what you want and if you get hit it's your fault" it used to be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

:justpost:

how did you get into the field and why

I've always been into photography, used my GI Bill to get a cert in commercial photography, and started freelancing locally shooting high school sports making pretty good money. Then I took my gear with me to Sebring and got a bunch of shots and sent them into a stock agency and they took me on, getting me credentials to all kinds of poo poo, mostly races because thats what i wanted to do, but they would call me for college sporting events too. Did that for about four years, then there was rumblings about keeping image rights and paying day rates so i bowed out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I've always been into photography, used my GI Bill to get a cert in commercial photography, and started freelancing locally shooting high school sports making pretty good money. Then I took my gear with me to Sebring and got a bunch of shots and sent them into a stock agency and they took me on, getting me credentials to all kinds of poo poo, mostly races because thats what i wanted to do, but they would call me for college sporting events too. Did that for about four years, then there was rumblings about keeping image rights and paying day rates so i bowed out.

You made the right choice since everyone and their loving brother is a professional photographer these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Working an event basically means you get to stand in places the general public are not allowed close to so it's worth the effort but a far cry form the "yeah you can do what you want and if you get hit it's your fault" it used to be.

Lol my first Indy race was my first ever "photographer safety meeting" and they basically told us that we were using the holes in the fence at our own risk and if we saw an accident happening it was already too late to do poo poo about it :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that was a writing prompt jeez.

you should make a thread and start photodumping and maybe write a bit about it

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Got berated by Tony Stewart, almost got killed by a tornado at talladega, good times!

I want to hear these stories

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Professor Bling posted:

I want to hear these stories

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You made the right choice since everyone and their loving brother is a professional photographer these days.

I saw the writing on the wall. When there were new guys showing up working for Getty getting $100 day rates with no rights, and Getty buying up all the stock agencies it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening. Guess who owns the agency i worked with now? Yep.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I am - for Triathlon. 360 to 600 a day per event. I also do work for MTB events and running festivals.

quote:

then there was rumblings about keeping image rights and paying day rates so i bowed out.

Yeah this is one reason why I'm strictly amateur or low pay for motorsport. I'm happy to shoot on someone else's CF card for triathlon / running, but gently caress you if you think I'm gonna work for hire in Motorsport... not unless you pay me a LOT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only reason I'd want to do a race professionally is for better access to the shooting spots. It's infuriating to be a spectator at a road course and being limited to a couple holes in the fence where you can sorta get an angle on the track. And usually there's marshalls there blocking your line of sight, or a huge crowd gathers and track security fences it off for safety.

If you do rally or find amateur events at smaller tracks it gets a lot easier because they tend to not have the safety features, but the big famous tracks are rough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

that was a writing prompt jeez.

you should make a thread and start photodumping and maybe write a bit about it

Ok, I'll just start a general motorsports photography thread or something and take it from there. I'm at work right now so no access to my images, plus I'm taking a trip to Boston soon so i don't know If I can get it started before then.

In the meantime.... I had a few run ins with Tony Stewart, the first he almost literally ran me over during practice at Atlanta. It was my fault, the pits were hot (cars coming and going out of the garage) and I stopped in the middle of the garage lane to snap a shot when i saw an official frantically waving his arms at me. I took my face away from the camera and he pointed behind me, and as I turned Tony is sitting there in his car trying to get to the garage. I jumped out of the way and he moved on, then the official came up to me and warned me he'd take my hot pass if it happened again. Oops.

So a bit later, I was in the garage looking through the lens when I felt a firm tap on my shoulder, it was Tony looking none too pleased. He leaned into me almost nose to nose, stared me down and said "next time I'm not stopping" and then walked away before i could even apologize :v:

Tony had a bad rap for treating photographers like poo poo but I didn't take it personally, he usually got mad for a reason, and he was nice to me at other times when he wasn't pissed off. You know it's bad when after your first NASCAR race the other photogs ask if you have a Tony Stewart story yet. I said I didn't, and they said oh don't worry you will :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Only reason I'd want to do a race professionally is for better access to the shooting spots. It's infuriating to be a spectator at a road course and being limited to a couple holes in the fence where you can sorta get an angle on the track. And usually there's marshalls there blocking your line of sight, or a huge crowd gathers and track security fences it off for safety.

If you do rally or find amateur events at smaller tracks it gets a lot easier because they tend to not have the safety features, but the big famous tracks are rough.

Small events are usually really happy for a serious person to get access easily - also one of the things I used to do was swap camera time and access for volunteer marshall poo poo, as smaller events are usually really tight for volunteers. Even big events are talkable to do this.

Rally is getting harder as OH&S requirements close out the forest and volunteers no longer get to stand where they want at road closures. HOWEVER given most forests and roads go by private homes, a polite request can get you access in a way the organisers cant stop you as you are on private property.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I saw the writing on the wall. When there were new guys showing up working for Getty getting $100 day rates with no rights, and Getty buying up all the stock agencies it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening. Guess who owns the agency i worked with now? Yep.

And absolutely none of the have any manner of schooling or formal instruction. They just got a really expensive camera and convinced a few girls to pose for them. I know a dude who scammed his way into the VIP area of SDCC because he had a bullshit credential and a really expensive camera.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

And absolutely none of the have any manner of schooling or formal instruction. They just got a really expensive camera and convinced a few girls to pose for them. I know a dude who scammed his way into the VIP area of SDCC because he had a bullshit credential and a really expensive camera.

Funny, I would have said the same about a lot of pros... and let me put it this way - there are amateurs running about without a lick of schooling or instruction who will absolutely match or beat any pro, who act and deal with competitors more thoughtfully too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Big questions for me would be

1. How does the business side work. Sell awesome pics? Sounds like some jobs were paid to be there all day and now they own your pictures? Say I was spectating a race and caught bike ramp in all it's glory. That can be sold? To who and how?

2. Best "bro I can't pay you cash but I can get you exposure" story if you've got one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

1. How does the business side work. Sell awesome pics? Sounds like some jobs were paid to be there all day and now they own your pictures? Say I was spectating a race and caught bike ramp in all it's glory. That can be sold? To who and how?

2. Best "bro I can't pay you cash but I can get you exposure" story if you've got one.

1. Depends on if you are a freelancer, attached to a agency and if it's a work for hire. Work for hire means that copyright is owned by the group or person that hired you, unless there is specific rights clauses - that one you promise to be there with camera and required equipment, normally you get given media to shoot on, end of the day you hand the media back with any notes about good shots and times / posititions you were at.... and that's that. An agency or syndicate will help with contacts and that I dont know much about personally. Freelance, I've usually been contacted after I share links to my gallery and asked for permission to re-publish with my terms. Most motorsport publications have contacts you can find that you can use to sell photos but given how thin margins are, dont expect much. Even a top level pro these days usually ain't going to do much more than cover costs.

2. Havent got any of those given I'm one of the amateur assholes, buuuut..... I've unexpectently been given money for my photos plenty of times with competitors after seeing some good shots ready to pay. Like one Porcshe driver I managed to photo doing some corner cutting, he sought me out later and gave me a CD to burn to and 500 bucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

The business side of it was pretty easy, all i had to do was caption and send them the images and they took it from there. Then I get a check in the mail when my images sell. It took me awhile to build up a decent stock but once i did the checks were coming in pretty regular. I got a day rate plus image rights. The day rate is more like a per diem really to help with expenses, but I camped to save money because some hotels would end up being more than may day rate lol. As far as getting a shot nowadays, I'm not sure how that works, my guess would be just to contact Getty or some other agency if there are any left that Getty hasn't swallowed up yet. Then they would just put it in their stock and you get a percentage every time it sells. Unless you were dumb and sold them the rights :)

quote:

I got more of that in my EARLY days when i was still shooting film, and it was with people that wanted a wedding or graduation party covered or something. "Its good experience for you!" yeah no thanks. Never happened to me with sports, because once I was working with an agency everyone knows you're not gonna work for free. But I did get lowball offers, some owner of a NASCAR Truck team wanted me to spend a whole day covering just his team for some ridiculous low price AND he wanted the image rights. Stuff like that from smaller teams that can't afford it would go after the newbies, but once i was around for awhile that stopped.

[e] and just to be clear, "pro" just means you do it for a living, and just because you're not a pro doesn't mean you're not a good photographer. Also just because you do it for a living doesn't mean you're good either, I knew and worked with a couple of guys that were lousy photographers but they were great at marketing themselves and knew how to run a business so they made bank. I also knew some very talented photogs that failed because their business skills sucked, so YMMV.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You should get in touch with KingShibby. He's a goon covering IndyCar.