Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Warframe bullshit yet again. There's a Warframe named Equinox, where you need its Day and Night aspects to merge together to form Equinox. The issue here is that you need three parts to make the day/night aspects like any other warframe would need, but the parts drop from the SAME boss, and the day/night aspect blueprints are a part of that drop, too! Ok, got all the day/night aspect parts, and now i..wait, the day/night aspects themselves take 3 days to craft?! But it's not a warframe, it's the PARTS to a warframe, and the blueprint for it also takes three days to craft. Why? Who thought this was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

My motto is games, not shames

more like oldshameless

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Digirat posted:

Also props to these games for being hard but not shaming you for taking those options. Too many games include jabs on difficulty screens for their easy modes, like recent mediocre game wolfenstein TNC, which has a condescending name for the easiest difficulty and a picture of the player character with a pacifier in his mouth. gently caress off with that.

I take it you have never played Wolfenstein 3D? Because the difficulties and the kind of portraits are the same. It is a tribute.

That is actually a common thing from that era. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Quake. A lot of them went beyond easy, medium and hard when it comes to describing their difficulties, some of them had portraits too.

And that kind of mockery is better than games that used to lock levels behind difficulty. You’d be playing games on easy and after a couple levels the game would suddenly end and tell you to play on medium or hard to see the entire game. Here’s looking at you, The Lion King!

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:24 on May 22, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every so often I go back and try Path of Exile. It does a lot of things right, but it has one serious problem that makes me bounce off the game every time: the bosses. The bosses are bad. Long-time players will say things like "just learn the game mechanics," but there's nothing in the game that indicates you're doing anything wrong until you encounter a boss. You can have a build that carves through the rest of the game without a problem, and still run into these insane walls with the bosses. After Act 4, every single boss is a huge pile of health with multiple attacks that are likely to kill you in one hit. This means once you reach a boss, all the fun in the game stops as you throw yourself at a boss over and over. They keep the damage you've dealt with each death, but there's nothing fun or interesting about them, and the game isn't fast or responsive enough for it to be fun to dodge a bunch of AOE attacks and poo poo. It just means you have to slowly wear the boss away in between dodging and dying, and since every boss has way too much HP it's just a dumb chore every so often in the game.

It's pretty clear why this has happened, since the boss design has only gotten dumber as the game has gone on: the developer feels the need to appeal only to the most serious players. It's great that the free-to-play design doesn't involve any pay-to-win, but since the developer makes their money on the most dedicated players buying cosmetic items, they have no reason to make the game fun for anyone else. Make the bosses have mechanics in line with the rest of the game and hardcore players will complain that the game is too easy - after all, they have top-tier builds that can carve right through bosses. The bosses being hard isn't even the problem, they're just completely out of line with the rest of the game. And like something like Starbound, the loudest voices in the "community" are the players who have played the most. Trying to make the game fun for people with 1000-plus hours is making it not fun for everyone else.

There's no sign that it will ever be fixed. A recent patch increased boss health. As far as I can tell, the game just keeps getting worse with each new update.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Mierenneuker posted:

I take it you have never played Wolfenstein 3D? Because the difficulties and the kind of portraits are the same. It is a tribute.

That is actually a common thing from that era. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Quake. A lot of them went beyond easy, medium and hard when it comes to describing their difficulties, some of them had portraits too.

It might be a tribute, but it's also a tribute to one of the worst loving things about 90s pop culture. It's good that we've left that posturing macho bullshit in the past, because it's goddamn awful.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Oh no, the game called me babby!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah path of exile is real good in alot of ways but I"m not a super huge fan of the way they do bosses. IMO asking me to dodge around and learn boss tells isn't bad in itself, although you could make that case and I wouldn't really argue much, but I wish it was more clear what the boss was doing and what killed you. A death-breakdown that showed how much damage you took and from where in the last 5 seconds or w/e of your life would go a long way, as would clarity of the bosses attacks. Having a boss raise his arms over his head before delivering a death blow doesn't help when I'm covering the screen with 1500 lightning bolts and can't see poo poo. Especially in the late game where sometimes random mobs will be turbo dangerous and you can die suddenly and randomly 15 times before you realize its the combination of +lightning damage, +crit, and -player resistances that is doing it. Instead of the hundred other possibilities it could be.

On top of that some of the bosses are nothing but murder attacks, meaning you have to try really hard to slip in damage during their not-as-deadly attacks. So builds with low DPS are going to take forever to kill them unless they're very adept at dodging while also dealing damage which many builds aren't. Describing it as 'top tier builds' is a bit unfair becuase in PoE there are probably 100 top tier builds at any given time if you're willing to just follow the general guideline somebody else has created, but that still isn't helpful if you're the guy who is just 100% committed to doing their own build.

At the very highest levels, past the acts, deep into the map endgame the bosses return to this 'dodge or die' design and it becomes pretty awful again. The devs and players will tell you it's about skill, and yeah I guess thats not ENTIRELY innaccurate, but the way you build that skill is through intense trial and error and memorizing attack patterns and thats never been particularly fun for me.

Of course PoE is still the closest-to-perfect ARPG available in the past 20 years or something and I have thousands of hours in it, but the boss design is a big weak point.

IMO just look up a list of current builds and pick any of the 100 that fits what you wanted to do anyway. You'll likely quadruple your DPS/survivability and they aren't nearly as painful anymore (endgame maps are always painful by design, only the truest most twnked out builds can ignore mechanics there)

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
After the first few seasons in Stardew you'll go from cursing the days for being too short to wishing they moved faster as your focus switches from short term things like money and clearing space to longer goals like maxing out relationships. I'm glad I didn't use a mod to slow/stop time because its a game with no real stakes and nothing permanently missable outside of the initial choice to go with Joja or not and spending the early game stressing about min-maxing everything from the get-go would have gotten exhausting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Digirat posted:

Also props to these games for being hard but not shaming you for taking those options. Too many games include jabs on difficulty screens for their easy modes, like recent mediocre game wolfenstein TNC, which has a condescending name for the easiest difficulty and a picture of the player character with a pacifier in his mouth. gently caress off with that.

Imagining you gettin' all mad about this is making me giggle.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he'd fit in at polygon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

IMO just look up a list of current builds and pick any of the 100 that fits what you wanted to do anyway. You'll likely quadruple your DPS/survivability and they aren't nearly as painful anymore (endgame maps are always painful by design, only the truest most twnked out builds can ignore mechanics there)
This ruins all the fun of an ARPG to me, which is testing new combinations of things and seeing what turns out to be good. And dodging attacks in an ARPG isn't "skill." ARPGs don't have deep enough moment-to-moment gameplay to require that kind of skill. It's just tedium.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I get the self built thing but there is definitely skill in dancing around attacks. It's why most builds include a movement ability to help with that. So you can zip around and dodge poo poo while also putting out your own damage. It might not be your cup of tea and I get that and I won't blame you at all, but it feels a bit disingenuous to just dismiss it as not a skillful thing.

That said I've often enjoyed games like Path of Exile without ever trying ot hit endgame and just experimenting with a ton of builds that peter out in the midgame and that can be it's own fun. I probably spent 2-3 hundred hours failing to make my own builds work before I got tired of that and just started finding other people's builds that appealed to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every so often I go back and try Path of Exile. It does a lot of things right, but it has one serious problem that makes me bounce off the game every time: the bosses. The bosses are bad. Long-time players will say things like "just learn the game mechanics," but there's nothing in the game that indicates you're doing anything wrong until you encounter a boss. You can have a build that carves through the rest of the game without a problem, and still run into these insane walls with the bosses. After Act 4, every single boss is a huge pile of health with multiple attacks that are likely to kill you in one hit. This means once you reach a boss, all the fun in the game stops as you throw yourself at a boss over and over. They keep the damage you've dealt with each death, but there's nothing fun or interesting about them, and the game isn't fast or responsive enough for it to be fun to dodge a bunch of AOE attacks and poo poo. It just means you have to slowly wear the boss away in between dodging and dying, and since every boss has way too much HP it's just a dumb chore every so often in the game.

It's pretty clear why this has happened, since the boss design has only gotten dumber as the game has gone on: the developer feels the need to appeal only to the most serious players. It's great that the free-to-play design doesn't involve any pay-to-win, but since the developer makes their money on the most dedicated players buying cosmetic items, they have no reason to make the game fun for anyone else. Make the bosses have mechanics in line with the rest of the game and hardcore players will complain that the game is too easy - after all, they have top-tier builds that can carve right through bosses. The bosses being hard isn't even the problem, they're just completely out of line with the rest of the game. And like something like Starbound, the loudest voices in the "community" are the players who have played the most. Trying to make the game fun for people with 1000-plus hours is making it not fun for everyone else.

There's no sign that it will ever be fixed. A recent patch increased boss health. As far as I can tell, the game just keeps getting worse with each new update.

Yeah, I've tried that game a few times and the progression is so arcane that I'm always doing well until I'm suddenly not and have no idea what to do about it. Usually at a boss. And this is following builds from the forums, I'd probably fizzle out a lot earlier if I went in blind.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The easiest difficulty of a game could be called Ultimate Bitch rear end Pussy Mode and I'd still select it because my 60 bucks means I can play the god drat game however I please. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Path of Exile annoyed me long term because I had to make new characters for different builds - respecs are irritatingly rare - to be "competitive", or just follow someone else's guide which stripped away the feeling I was crafting a new character.

If you could experiment more freely I'd have loved it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I dunno if I paid 90 bucks for a game (Canada :( ) Is like it if the game didn't insult me for playing it the way I wanted to.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Most of the fun of ARPGs and MMOs (Well, formerly, almost no MMOs give you any options anymore) for me is experimenting with my own builds. I cannot imagine playing one and just sticking to a build someone else made. I know for some people that is the obvious answer, but it kills the entire point of playing the game for me.

Games making respecs prohibitively rare or expensive is a thing that usually kills games for me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I had alot of fun making my own builds but I never made a successful one and now my fun comes from seeing just how successful I can be in a given league. It's a different sort of fun but I've done the self-build for long enough to satisfy me.

It probably helps that my self-build period was back when the game only had 3 acts. So beating 3 acts and then petering out somewhere in the second or third playthrough felt more satisfying and complete than only clearing 5 of 10 acts. Only beating the game twice before my build kinda failed is still beating the game twice, but clearing act 7 of 10 feels like you didn't even win.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why would you get annoyed with a game insulting you? It's an inanimate object, don't take it personally.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

glad she is dead posted:

Imagining you gettin' all mad about this is making me giggle.

I don’t generally need easy modes/accessibility options myself but many folks do, particularly people with disabilities, and it’s :rolleyes: to make condescending assumptions about the user such as deciding that they’re picking easy because of [insulting reason] when the reality could be that they’re picking easy because they have a disability.

Not even specific to games, as a software dev I think software should not make far-reaching assumptions about the user.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

God of War (2018) feels like a different game in a different franchise. It might be because I've been playing the old games while I waited for the rental store to get a copy of this in but it just feels too different. I can't quite figure out the right words to explain it though. But it's different and I don't like that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

glad she is dead posted:

Why would you get annoyed with a game insulting you? It's an inanimate object, don't take it personally.

You just spent your own money to buy something that some people developed, marketed, and sold. The gently caress gives those assholes a right to judge you for playing your way. Motherfuckers, probably giggling to themselves about the stupid beta cucks who aren't manly enough to play on True Hardcore Ultimate Erection Mode.
God, why did I even buy this game? I don't even like FPes. They make me motion sick.
What... what am I doing with my life. I'm 40 and still playing video games and getting mad when they playfully insult me. What.. is this what I've become?
Is this my life now?

You know, the usual.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Digirat posted:

I don’t generally need easy modes/accessibility options myself but many folks do, particularly people with disabilities, and it’s :rolleyes: to make condescending assumptions about the user such as deciding that they’re picking easy because of [insulting reason] when the reality could be that they’re picking easy because they have a disability.

Not even specific to games, as a software dev I think software should not make far-reaching assumptions about the user.

counterpoint: it's funny:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

glad she is dead posted:

counterpoint: it's funny:

Counter-counter point. Rule 34.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
When I think about "feeling insulted" playing a game the first thing that comes to mind is FarCry4, where you play as the dullest guy in Kyrat and no matter what you do you'll get berated by either a pedophile or a drug lord, despite being the single driving force in their rebellion, and then being told what to do next only for the cycle to start again.

Also hated those two guys that squat in your mother's house and, once again, the protag is a loving piece of cardboard.

I don't know if you get a chance to shoot everyone in the end but it was not worth playing all the way through to get it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

You just spent your own money to buy something that some people developed, marketed, and sold. The gently caress gives those assholes a right to judge you for playing your way. Motherfuckers, probably giggling to themselves about the stupid beta cucks who aren't manly enough to play on True Hardcore Ultimate Erection Mode.
God, why did I even buy this game? I don't even like FPes. They make me motion sick.
What... what am I doing with my life. I'm 40 and still playing video games and getting mad when they playfully insult me. What.. is this what I've become?
Is this my life now?

You know, the usual.

what

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That's a McRib and a Large Diet Coke, c'mon man, this line gotta move, don't forget the straws

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

spit on my clit posted:

he'd fit in at polygon

Imagining you gettin' all mad about a comedy gaming site is making me giggle.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Eh I just think that they should reverse the portrait order. If you're playing on hard mode your protagonist should be a scared wimp, if you're on easy they should be a glowing godbeing. Incidentally I'm using this style of difficulty selector in the game I'm making now, mostly as a gently caress you to all that nineties-rear end hypermachismo bullshit.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Erotic Wakes posted:

Yeah, they definitely are a joke.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The weapon rewards in adventure mode for Hyrule Warriors is all sorts of wack. My brother likes playing as Volga and has been stuck with lovely 120 damage weapons while a bunch of other characters are reaching the 250 damage range. So I'm looking out to get Volga weapons and its like... I can get Volga's level 2 weapon by going about 18 tiles in the Wind Waker adventure map, or I can get his level 4 weapon going 6 tiles deep in the Majora's Mask one. At that point why would I want to bother getting a weaker leveled weapon?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

I was going to disagree and then I remembered that act 4 doesn't loop you any more and I really can't. The new bosses were all pretty mediocre build checks that just poo poo damage and are far and away the weakest part of the game.

Builds are mostly a case of making sure you have enough ehp to survive non-oneshot attacks and leech/regen to full (almost definitely leech unless something drastic has changed). Once you know the rough numbers it's a lot easier to make your own, and there's some skills it's much easier for than others, but the lack of respecs is really punishing if you gently caress it up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I grabbed Okami on the cheap at a flea market because I figured my 7 year old son would love it (he does) but, drat. Is it me or is this game just way too easy? I think I've died once and the only challenge after about 10 hours in is sometimes figuring out which way to go next.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I grabbed Okami on the cheap at a flea market because I figured my 7 year old son would love it (he does) but, drat. Is it me or is this game just way too easy? I think I've died once and the only challenge after about 10 hours in is sometimes figuring out which way to go next.

Its a Zelda game without any limit on healing items, so its really, really easy.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Okay so I played Ocarina of Time for the... third? time in my life. Something that really bothers me about this game is how much of the combat is waiting around for your enemy to attack you so that you can attack them back. The werewolves are especially bad. There's nothing difficult about killing them, you just Z target, raise your shield and.... wait. You can't take the initiative because they can block you 100% of the time UNLESS they're in the middle of their attack animation. And you have to do this several times for every single one. It reminds me of playing Dark Souls with a shield, whereas the 2D Zeldas were more like playing Bloodborne in this bad analogy, since being aggressive is viable and rewarding.

Otherwise it still holds up.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BiggerBoat posted:

The main game is fairly easy, but the combat feels excellent when you get good at it. There's only a few places to really flex those skills, though: there's some hidden areas to uncover that has a boss refight in them, and once you beat those, you get some Challenge Devil Gates to go through. Those Challenge Gates are the optional content that's super hard.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Erotic Wakes posted:

i was gettin' mad?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Somfin posted:

Eh I just think that they should reverse the portrait order. If you're playing on hard mode your protagonist should be a scared wimp, if you're on easy they should be a glowing godbeing. Incidentally I'm using this style of difficulty selector in the game I'm making now, mostly as a gently caress you to all that nineties-rear end hypermachismo bullshit.

The last Smash Bros and I think Kirby do this. The difficulty shows an enemy so it's wimpy and terrified on the lowest level and as you turn it up it gets scarier and scarier until on the highest it's this giant grinning Eye of Sauron thing in a wall of hellfire and your character is sweating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It's just how the game is. It's pretty easy if you completely forget your big pile of healing items exists, and basically un-loseable if you don't.