Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Are you talking about the fork originally called "Python 2.8" which was an extremely misleading name? It's pretty reasonable to ask that they change the name if they are going to fork the language, IMO.

yeah you're right I'm misremembering. and reading back up on it now the interaction between those two projects was fairly amicable.

statement retracted. but it still does not excuse the other aspects of PSF's stewardship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Angry about old p-langs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i'm 18 paragraph-length posts about The Breaking that doesn't bother w/ any details of the monkey wrench slipped into pythong 2

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I lust for https://github.com/graalvm/graalpython so that one day we can kick guido to the curb

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

just hook those polymorphic inline caches straight into my veins

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

also, it me, google, creating python projects without py3 support in TYOOL 2018 like Beam

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

i'm 18 paragraph-length posts about The Breaking that doesn't bother w/ any details of the monkey wrench slipped into pythong 2

the monkey wrench was not having a clean upgrade path

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Malcolm XML posted:

I lust for https://github.com/graalvm/graalpython so that one day we can kick guido to the curb

im pessimistic about this if only because of all the other alternatives that have come and gone without much traction :(

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

(sorry for all the quote replies, but I don't want to leave things hanging)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how? are they a lego person?

there's one specific external organ that many men have that can be reattached after being partially or fully severed.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i’m sorry you had to go through this and i don’t think you have a moral responsibility to ruin yourself professionally, financially and maybe psychologically by pursuing a legal case that likely won’t achieve anything.

Malcolm XML posted:

agreed. but neither of us are a lawyer and in this case you should get legal advice.

I have gotten legal advice before and all of it has been "this would be a long as hell road and you need to be prepared for that" and I'm loving not

Malcolm XML posted:

the monkey wrench was not having a clean upgrade path

the upgrade path for the C API was a worse nightmare than the language changes in my opinion, but the old C API was real bad.

Thermopyle posted:

im pessimistic about this if only because of all the other alternatives that have come and gone without much traction :(

im not expecting much from this just because its Oracle

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

Hello Everyone,

We are using LLVM libc++ in TizenRT IoT OS( https://github.com/Samsung/TizenRT). We observed memory leak while using std::thread

About TizenRT:
LLVM libc++ source has been integrated to TizenRT and the whole platform(OS + libc + libcpp + App) is built into a single elf executable.
TizenRT uses a FLAT memory model(physical memory), there is no virtual memory support and hence we cant run application executables (elf) directly.

quote:

__thread_specific_ptr intentionally leaks. See https://github.com/llvm-mirror/libcxx/blob/master/include/thread#L189

quote:

If we observe in the leak case, thread key is not created and static storage destructor is not registered to atexit. Hence there is no key destructor(::__at_thread_exit()) called during exit and ALLOC1 & ALLOC2 are not freed which were freed properly in the working case.
Also there is no call to __thread_specific_ptr destructor.
Note : As TizenRT is a RTOS and works on flat memory model, global data space(data & bss) are not released when application exits. Hence any variables with global scope always persist till the device power off.

Can you please suggest some methods to avoid these leaks.?

lol they're making a worse version of tizen

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
now that is an accomplishment

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sounds like it is working as intended, WONTFIX.

I cannot believe Samsung made a single platform for phones, tablets, fridges, watches, TVs, and still push out junk phones every quarter or so and yet their TV platform for digital signage is running an AppleKit browser from 2012.

There is Samsung.com for old Samsung TVs, Tizen.org for newer ones that replicates all the services but then has left to rot with broken OpenID and things, and then another site SamsungDForums.org for something that I cannot get permission to even read. G-Suite seems to discard all tizen.org emails by default which is cute.

I have a Tizen TV and it you can confuse it by sending two cookies in one response. Pretty much nothing works on it.

Samsung makes Ballmer's Microsoft look organised and friendly, how do they survive outside a Korean duopoly?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 22, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

has anyone suggested not building the whole platform into a single ELF executable?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

This but unironically.

Release a tool for people to use for serious work or do some public masturbation exercise. Either or. Pick one. Do not loving break poo poo that people rely on to do their job; that is the tool's only purpose, not to be some platonically ideal anime waifu for you to cum over. If you release it as one and then suddenly change it to be the other then drat right people are going to be angry at you, responsible people with jobs to do don't get to pull this poo poo without consequences.

It's not even a question of people not being entitled to dictate the terms of your work; some consortium of Python users got together with the aim of preserving Python 2 and continuing to maintain it, and PSF actively fought against them and threatened to sue them for trademark infringement and engaged in all sorts of other odious behavior.

Nice meltdown

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MrMoo posted:

Samsung makes Ballmer's Microsoft look organised and friendly, how do they survive outside a Korean duopoly?

brand recognition

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the phones don't work out, they can fall back on the credit card, amusement parks (multiple), fashion, chemical manufacturing, heavy industry, cameras, economics research, mechatronics, robots, heavy industrial engineering, ships, buildings, hotel chain, hospital chain, life insurance, general insurance, storage tech, sports teams, movies, biotech, home shopping, logistics, pharma, cosmetics, paper products, white goods, oil refining, machine tools, stockbroking, nuclear power plants....

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

lol they're making a worse version of tizen

wait, why doesn't it call pthread_key_create the second time around? are they not clearing memory before the program runs, and somehow expecting programs to run twice in that environment?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s really unclear what exactly gets reset, but apparently it at least doesn’t include whatever resources go into a pthread key

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Malcolm XML posted:

your "everything is terrible" depression shtick is one thing but literally talking to an employment lawyer is always worth it.

i mean that's fair, my old company settled at least four claims when i was there, but it wasn't free in terms of money or time

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i mean it's one thing to have a lawsuit but y'know all it takes is one fired4truther to make an example out of you

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also it isn't a schitck i'm pretty mentally ill and genuinely spend many of my waking hours ideating

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Have you ideated yourself a job yet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hmmm

not cool

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Like, it seems the TizenRT guys could just fix this by resetting memory pages to 0 but they don't seem to be smart enough to think that far ahead. Why is Tizen still a thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tef posted:

also it isn't a schitck i'm pretty mentally ill and genuinely spend many of my waking hours ideating

Stay safe.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Like, it seems the TizenRT guys could just fix this by resetting memory pages to 0 but they don't seem to be smart enough to think that far ahead. Why is Tizen still a thing

need a place to put the fuckwits from the credit card, amusement parks (multiple), fashion, chemical manufacturing, heavy industry, cameras, economics research, mechatronics, robots, heavy industrial engineering, ships, buildings, hotel chain, hospital chain, life insurance, general business insurance, fire insurance, marine insurance, hard disks, sports teams, movies, biotech, home shopping, logistics, an entire district of seoul, a different city 13 miles from seoul, pharma, cosmetics, public transit stuff, paper products, cars, white goods, oil refining, machine tools, stockbroking, nuclear power plants

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they actually spun off the dried fish and noodles and sugar refining business that they started out with

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

tef posted:

yeah me too. stay safe tef it sucks.

that said yes, suing your employer is a last ditch effort that often isn't worth it, but you really cannot go wrong with getting legal advice even if it's "this is a long and lovely road"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

need a place to put the fuckwits from the credit card, amusement parks (multiple), fashion, chemical manufacturing, heavy industry, cameras, economics research, mechatronics, robots, heavy industrial engineering, ships, buildings, hotel chain, hospital chain, life insurance, general business insurance, fire insurance, marine insurance, hard disks, sports teams, movies, biotech, home shopping, logistics, an entire district of seoul, a different city 13 miles from seoul, pharma, cosmetics, public transit stuff, paper products, cars, white goods, oil refining, machine tools, stockbroking, nuclear power plants

i'm trying to find the article but there was a great headline like "Samsung sells off boat manufacturing division to Samsung". all of the companies in the Samsung brand are legally separate entities and don't actually share finances and employees and poo poo like that, they just all happen to have the same family as CEO

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Python 3 itself isn't so much a problem. It would have been fine if Python 3 was its own separate language, since it is not a superset of Python 2.

There's even a bunch of __future__ stuff that, with a little care, lets you write libraries which are simultaneously valid Python 2 and Python 3 programs, if that is what you are inclined towards.

What is absolutely a huge problem is that the Python Software Foundation deliberately sabotaged the existing Python 2 language for entirely masturbatory reasons. "Oh well we don't have enough manpower to support both 2 and 3 at the same time" then loving get more manpower or don't loving sabotage python 2 you pieces of poo poo

Dropbox was stupid enough to use some version of Guido's shitlang in production and, as businesses do, actually had to care about its performance in practical settings, so they decided to do something about that, and one of the devs involved was even nice enough to make a presentation about some of the work he was doing. Whereupon Guido got all up in his face about it right in the middle of his presentation

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/754163/17dc332b923151c3/

the absolute loving nerve of this guy.

guido is a twat, that’s a given. but what’s this sabotage you seem to be so mad about?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

guido is a twat, that’s a given. but what’s this sabotage you seem to be so mad about?

i mean, if they had just gone "here's python 3 the new language" and left it at that people would not everywhere clamor for migrations off of python 2 which are expensive and usually pointless. it is very unfortunate that they didn't recognize that their stewardship is a really minor part of the puzzle, leaving python 2 at "well, it is open source and widely deployed, so it will obviously not get abandoned in any real way". the only thing the python foundation can do (at eol in 2020) is keep distributing broken python 2 versions refusing to apply the patches, because patches are 100% guaranteed crop up the moment anything is found to be broken. it'd largely just force the creation of a shadow python 2 foundation

the issue is, again, that the value of their piddling little implementation is tiny compared to all the software that depends on it, and it is just misunderstanding the relative positions to try to dictate anything. there are also notably a lot of software that 100% will never move off python 2: anything where it is integrated into a system sold to customers (the custom google cloud runtime implementation for example, or arcgis extensions), since no sensible company will break their customers often expensive stuff, nor are they likely to then add python 3 *in addition*, since it increases complexity and opens them up to guido getting ideas doing breaking changes again in the future

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, if they had just gone "here's python 3 the new language" and left it at that people would not everywhere clamor for migrations off of python 2 which are expensive and usually pointless. it is very unfortunate that they didn't recognize that their stewardship is a really minor part of the puzzle, leaving python 2 at "well, it is open source and widely deployed, so it will obviously not get abandoned in any real way". the only thing the python foundation can do (at eol in 2020) is keep distributing broken python 2 versions refusing to apply the patches, because patches are 100% guaranteed crop up the moment anything is found to be broken. it'd largely just force the creation of a shadow python 2 foundation

the issue is, again, that the value of their piddling little implementation is tiny compared to all the software that depends on it, and it is just misunderstanding the relative positions to try to dictate anything. there are also notably a lot of software that 100% will never move off python 2: anything where it is integrated into a system sold to customers (the custom google cloud runtime implementation for example, or arcgis extensions), since no sensible company will break their customers often expensive stuff, nor are they likely to then add python 3 *in addition*, since it increases complexity and opens them up to guido getting ideas doing breaking changes again in the future

i dont necessarily agree that having nupython or whatever would be a tangible strategy, but i see the point. calling it a sabotage is a stretch though, they just deprecated it, not actively interfered with using it as is

sure, sucks if you have complex commercial python thing, but that’s your problem if you were stupid enough to make something in it that cannot be rewritten to 3

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i wouldn't call it sabotage either, just rather stupid and unfortunate. i do however disagree with the (rather common, granted) attitude embedded in "make something in it that cannot be rewritten to 3", software for the most part should not be expected to have to be rewritten at all, and especially not for any artificial "keeping up with the times" reasons, or even worse, for the sake of a subjective sense of cleanliness of extremely mundane underpinnings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i wouldn't call it sabotage either, just rather stupid and unfortunate. i do however disagree with the (rather common, granted) attitude embedded in "make something in it that cannot be rewritten to 3", software for the most part should not be expected to have to be rewritten at all, and especially not for any artificial "keeping up with the times" reasons, or even worse, for the sake of a subjective sense of cleanliness of extremely mundane underpinnings

alright, this i agree with, as thinking more i realise im way too young and inexperienced to have a well defined idea on how a language should proceed with a major upgrade

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Python2 still exists. You won't get sued for using it after 2020, you will just no longer receive patches for it.

I really don't see the problem :shrug:

If your software is really so valuable, you should have no problems paying someone to keep your VM patched up, right? :v:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Xarn posted:

Python2 still exists. You won't get sued for using it after 2020, you will just no longer receive patches for it.

I really don't see the problem :shrug:

If your software is really so valuable, you should have no problems paying someone to keep your VM patched up, right? :v:

most python devs i know dont give a poo poo about security or performance, so i dont see the problem with using python 2 forever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm trying to find the article but there was a great headline like "Samsung sells off boat manufacturing division to Samsung". all of the companies in the Samsung brand are legally separate entities and don't actually share finances and employees and poo poo like that, they just all happen to have the same family as CEO

chaebol ownership structures would make ikea blush

companies that own each other in a ring, holding companies that magnify family voting power without increasing their capital stake, non-arm's-length transactions, the whole kit and kaboodle

i really do not understand why any outside investors even put money in

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chaebol ownership structures would make ikea blush

companies that own each other in a ring, holding companies that magnify family voting power without increasing their capital stake, non-arm's-length transactions, the whole kit and kaboodle

you have to be either:
1. the korean govt
2. completely ok with having no say in running things ever
the chaebols have had fuckups in their families before, they dealt with it in various ways, samsung has been fairly successful at dealing with their fuckups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my half-assed guess: they want to invest in korean industry and there's essentially 0 way to do that without directly or indirectly investing in / betting on chaebol?