Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've played through okami multiple times and literally never died once, fights in that game are less "how will i win" and more "how badly will they lose"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

When I think about "feeling insulted" playing a game the first thing that comes to mind is FarCry4, where you play as the dullest guy in Kyrat and no matter what you do you'll get berated by either a pedophile or a drug lord, despite being the single driving force in their rebellion, and then being told what to do next only for the cycle to start again.

Also hated those two guys that squat in your mother's house and, once again, the protag is a loving piece of cardboard.

I don't know if you get a chance to shoot everyone in the end but it was not worth playing all the way through to get it.

This is also why I can't stand playing Red Dead Redemption.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It’s remarkable how much better a video game story works when the player character just decides to do things instead of being told to by another character.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Morpheus posted:

This is also why I can't stand playing Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption is a game everyone seems to love but I bounced off completely from a combination of not being engaged by the characters or the story at all. Everyone in the game was just so loving boring and there was nothing about the game keeping me going. I get that it's a slow burn, but there has to be something I'm missing.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BiggerBoat posted:

I grabbed Okami on the cheap at a flea market because I figured my 7 year old son would love it (he does) but, drat. Is it me or is this game just way too easy? I think I've died once and the only challenge after about 10 hours in is sometimes figuring out which way to go next.

If you want a challenge, just wait until you get to the last stonewall guy.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Inco posted:

Red Dead Redemption is a game everyone seems to love but I bounced off completely from a combination of not being engaged by the characters or the story at all. Everyone in the game was just so loving boring and there was nothing about the game keeping me going. I get that it's a slow burn, but there has to be something I'm missing.

It wasn't bad but I think 'cowboy gta' was just a thing the market was ready for, more so than the game being any good. Look at all the games we have that ape that sort of thing, basically everything ubisoft does have the 'open world, multiple things to do' angle. RDR was just a bit before it's time but really nothing special in hindsight IMO.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I must be really bad at Okami because whenever I play the first fight with Waka kicks my rear end something fierce.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

Warframe bullshit yet again. There's a Warframe named Equinox, where you need its Day and Night aspects to merge together to form Equinox. The issue here is that you need three parts to make the day/night aspects like any other warframe would need, but the parts drop from the SAME boss, and the day/night aspect blueprints are a part of that drop, too! Ok, got all the day/night aspect parts, and now i..wait, the day/night aspects themselves take 3 days to craft?! But it's not a warframe, it's the PARTS to a warframe, and the blueprint for it also takes three days to craft. Why? Who thought this was a good idea?

At least it's not like some of the other items where the only way to craft it is through large amounts of a resource you can ONLY get by doing an emergency mission that spawns a handful of times every day based on a schedule so if you, say, have a life - a job, education, family or literally anything to do beyond allowing your life to revolve around a video game - you're kind of poo poo out of luck on that one since there might be entire days you can't log on for the specific duration of those events. Or they might simply happen during hours when you're asleep because there's zero compensation for other time zones. Which, you know. Has been a massive, massive issue with their emergency event thing since its inception but they've done nothing about it. Like the first time they introduced Vauban. A frame whose parts you could only earn through emergency events! Except a lot of the events were at really hosed hours like three to five AM, or otherwise during prime work and travel hours like three to five PM, for a lot of the population. After the first wave of events went out, it took them a very long time for a second full set to go through as well. Despite all the complaints about that sort of thing, about the events in general and their treatment of them, DE's learned very little from it and hasn't really improved much of it.

But then I read things about how some of the devs still keep trying to slip Nervos back into the game and I'm just glad I'll probably never play again because a good chunk of the dev team actively doesn't want to improve the game.

Riatsala posted:

Okay so I played Ocarina of Time for the... third? time in my life. Something that really bothers me about this game is how much of the combat is waiting around for your enemy to attack you so that you can attack them back. The werewolves are especially bad. There's nothing difficult about killing them, you just Z target, raise your shield and.... wait. You can't take the initiative because they can block you 100% of the time UNLESS they're in the middle of their attack animation. And you have to do this several times for every single one. It reminds me of playing Dark Souls with a shield, whereas the 2D Zeldas were more like playing Bloodborne in this bad analogy, since being aggressive is viable and rewarding.

Otherwise it still holds up.
Throw deku nuts. They'll stun most of those annoying enemies like wolves and lizards. They always seem super useless, but trust me. Once you get the hang of using them, deku nuts make the combat in OoT super fast in comparison.

Anyway for actual content; I started playing PSO2 again because I make bad life choices and a friend of mine wanted to get into it. So I got my old account back in action. They've upped the level cap in the years since I quit and the mission to break the level cap is a really lovely money sink. Which wouldn't be bad if you'd been playing constantly for the years between when I last played, and when they added in this new level cap. But holy poo poo I have no in-game money and it costs hundreds of thousands, to millions to upgrade a super rare item to the highest quality to unlock a special title to unlock the level limit. And you have to do it for every individual class. Back when I quit, this was end-game sort of stuff. Upgrading your equipment was something you only really did once you'd found something top-tier and you had nothing else to do. Now it's a mandatory, and expensive, road block to progression so you can start getting top tier equipment!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The Dishonored 2 achievement/ trophy for possessing a hound, rat, fly, fish, and human is a piece of poo poo that deserves to die. I’ve been trying on and off for a year and it’s goddamn impossible. This is the last one I need for the plat. It’s impossible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Agent355 posted:

Oh no I've been calling it attract mode instead of assist mode. i am the fool.

I wondered about that. Attract mode is where an arcade game plays a loop of gameplay to attract people to put in their quarters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

The weapon rewards in adventure mode for Hyrule Warriors is all sorts of wack. My brother likes playing as Volga and has been stuck with lovely 120 damage weapons while a bunch of other characters are reaching the 250 damage range. So I'm looking out to get Volga weapons and its like... I can get Volga's level 2 weapon by going about 18 tiles in the Wind Waker adventure map, or I can get his level 4 weapon going 6 tiles deep in the Majora's Mask one. At that point why would I want to bother getting a weaker leveled weapon?

Well, they're harder missions so you probably want/need the lower leveled weapon's boost to get to the next one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Well, they're harder missions so you probably want/need the lower leveled weapon's boost to get to the next one.

You also can't get the level 4 without having a level 3 as the level 4 missions are locked to the character and a level 3 weapon.

You can skip from 1 to 3 however.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Erotic Wakes posted:

Imagining you gettin' all mad about a comedy gaming site is making me giggle.

The hate-on some people have for polygon dot com is hilarious. Is it's like the typical "he gave a game I like a 6/10 so I hate him" thing but spun up into this heinous league of evil.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

The Moon Monster posted:

The hate-on some people have for polygon dot com is hilarious. Is it's like the typical "he gave a game I like a 6/10 so I hate him" thing but spun up into this heinous league of evil.

All i needed to see was Polygon playing DOOM to know that they are not qualified to talk about videogames in any way

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

All i needed to see was Polygon playing DOOM to know that they are not qualified to talk about videogames in any way

Oh, they play video games and they're not the AVGN, gotcha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Polygon is like Forbes where they have a regular journalist staff and video crew but anybody can be a "contributing editor," which means some rando can post their spicy hot takes on how Diablo 3 ruined their marriage. It's very hit or miss.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

It's more that their Doom video was hilarious by any standard. Missing point blank shots and jerking around like a Parkinson's sufferer is one thing in Let's Play, but when you're being paid for it, lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

What :thunk:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They're average rear end people playing games without a fanbase of some kind. Y'know, like a youtuber with their biggest accomplishment being a video three years ago with 200 views now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

They're average rear end people playing games without a fanbase of some kind.

I mean the Doom video they're talking about was someone fumbling around like a drunk, that video combined with Bethesda's other bad demos was what had a bunch of people expecting the game to be crap up to release, because it looked slow and stumbley, then people got their hands on it and it turned out that Bethesda had just kept letting people who'd apparently never played an FPS show it off. I don't even have the vendetta against polygon most people do, but that video was something else.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I mean the Doom video they're talking about was someone fumbling around like a drunk, that video combined with Bethesda's other bad demos was what had a bunch of people expecting the game to be crap up to release, because it looked slow and stumbley, then people got their hands on it and it turned out that Bethesda had just kept letting people who'd apparently never played an FPS show it off. I don't even have the vendetta against polygon most people do, but that video was something else.

This has to be the quintessential Polygon article, in which some sadsack introvert hides at the back of the Rock Band 4 launch party and wishes he was anywhere else.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8687867/rock-band-4-preview

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

I must be really bad at Okami because whenever I play the first fight with Waka kicks my rear end something fierce.

The first wakka fight is the only fight I died too in that game.
I think it's because he jumps around a lot - sometimes just out of reach of your frisbee, though I did fine when I tried out the beads you get soon before the fight.

edit:
Xenoblade 2:
Started playing it again, I wanted to try to get the last of the rare blades, and even with everyone's thought clouds maxed - using all the boosters I can, I can burn through 50 core crystals and not get a single rare blade.
Also Ursula's quest was the most unfun thing I've ever had the option of doing in a game. There was no reason for it to go on that long at all.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 12:30 on May 23, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

glad she is dead posted:

This has to be the quintessential Polygon article, in which some sadsack introvert hides at the back of the Rock Band 4 launch party and wishes he was anywhere else.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8687867/rock-band-4-preview

I enjoyed this article. It's way better than the DO4M video.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I enjoyed this article. It's way better than the DO4M video.

I kinda like it too tbh, but mainly because picturing this miserable journo staring at people having fun while feeling dead inside is hilarious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

They're average rear end people playing games without a fanbase of some kind. Y'know, like a youtuber with their biggest accomplishment being a video three years ago with 200 views now.

Polygon are a professional outfit that gets paid for their content, though. This isn't an obscure fan site in a corner of the internet.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

This ruins all the fun of an ARPG to me, which is testing new combinations of things and seeing what turns out to be good. And dodging attacks in an ARPG isn't "skill." ARPGs don't have deep enough moment-to-moment gameplay to require that kind of skill. It's just tedium.

I mentioned it over in the PYF Little Things in Games thread, but check out Chronicon. It's a rare thing, a game in early access for about four years that actually gets steady updates without the developer flaming out.

Each class has four subclasses, each with a different elemental flavor. If you think you don't like a particular subclass, though, respeccing potions are so cheap that I typically have a stack of 10 for a character at level 4. Leveling comes fast enough that you can get a good idea of what each power feels like before deciding to respec, which is a nice change of pace.

It's also a really fun game, and the upgrades to each power makes you feel like a god of death pretty early. My poison mage has so many stacked poisons, infections, and summons that the game gets a little hard to follow for all of the exploding enemies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

scarycave posted:

If you want a challenge, just wait until you get to the last stonewall guy.

Cellphones with cameras are everywhere now my friend.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Barudak posted:

Cellphones with cameras are everywhere now my friend.

This is a sad day for the Blockhead tribe. :(

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Welcome to PYF, come for the multiple people getting bizarrely upset over inanimate objects making mild jokes at their expense (including designing their own creative projects with spite explicitly in mind), stay for the full-throated, utterly incoherent defense of the most milquetoast games media imaginable.

My angry game thing is that far cry 5 is a fun game to play but the whole "getting drugged and captured several dozen times" thing is the least immersive and dumbest plot mechanic I've ever seen. If they did it twice it would be ok, but after the fifth time I quit playing. Has anyone actually counted how often it happens?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dying Light: The Following had a main plot that only progresses if you fill up a trust meter, which is accomplished by completing sidequests , killing bosses, and collecting the ids of missing people. Though it fills up to max very quickly it's a neat idea that at least tries to marry a game's main campaign with its side-content.

Apparently Far Cry 5 does something like this, except it forces you of the sandbox and into the unskippable lovely story. It suspends believe that you get kidnapped nine times in this game.

I feel that sandbox games should try to stress that all it's content is interconnected instead of just barely connected fluff. I hated how irrelevant all the systems feel in half the Assassins Creed games. You can build up 12 master's seasons except they're no real use in the main missions and the game is piss easy without them.

I think the Ur-example for a game that suffers from being overly segmented is Donkey Kong 64.
The game had five characters and if you wanted to collect every item in a level you'd have to do the level five times. A sandbox should aspire to be a one cohesive game instead of a hundred lesser games stacked together, with the exception of Yakuza.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OutOfPrint posted:

I mentioned it over in the PYF Little Things in Games thread, but check out Chronicon. It's a rare thing, a game in early access for about four years that actually gets steady updates without the developer flaming out.

Each class has four subclasses, each with a different elemental flavor. If you think you don't like a particular subclass, though, respeccing potions are so cheap that I typically have a stack of 10 for a character at level 4. Leveling comes fast enough that you can get a good idea of what each power feels like before deciding to respec, which is a nice change of pace.

It's also a really fun game, and the upgrades to each power makes you feel like a god of death pretty early. My poison mage has so many stacked poisons, infections, and summons that the game gets a little hard to follow for all of the exploding enemies.

Why even bother with needing to respec? Diablo 3 did it right, just letting you change your spec and abilities on the fly.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cythereal posted:

Why even bother with needing to respec? Diablo 3 did it right, just letting you change your spec and abilities on the fly.

Because for some reason people think it's the highlight of character building to have to assign stat points. I have never seen a game do stat assignment correctly. Either there's only one correct way to assign your points and every other way is 100% incorrect (Diablo, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, presumably Path of Exile), or you have to spend skillpoints to level up your stats (Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn presumably).

The fun of assigning points in skills you might think are fun is also usually a huge trap as well. Leveling up skills in most Diablo-likes is the exact wrong thing to do because a level 1 skill costs 2 mana to spam, while the level 5 costs 20.

I don't even understand the point of having trap stat choices. Look at Torchlight 2, where leveling up the Vitality stat is completely worthless because the biggest gain from it is shield block chance. This is in defiance of every other convention that Diablo 2-likes have where the only worthwhile stat to invest in is the one that gives health.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've seen it argued that not being able to respec adds permanence to your choices and encourages long term development with a character, but gently caress that. I shouldn't have to pour hours into stuff I've already done just to experiment with a different character build.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

I've seen it argued that not being able to respec adds permanence to your choices and encourages long term development with a character, but gently caress that. I shouldn't have to pour hours into stuff I've already done just to experiment with a different character build.

Oh, in Borderlands 2 I used a save editor to switch my character class around for second playthrough so I could actually use the skills and stuff in the first 3 hours.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll definitely argue that some degree of permanence adds to the weight of character development. I know D3 is generally considered bad by alot of people (or at least painfully uninteresting past a few hours of loving around), but I'd definitely cite the instant free respecs as a gigantic thing dragging that game down. Though I know alot of people would disagree with me.

I never felt like my character was 'mine' in D3. I was just a meaningless mish mash of whatever poo poo I felt like doing at the time. There were other factors that contributed to my general apathy toward my character but respecs were a big part of it.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 16:32 on May 23, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

you have to spend skillpoints to level up your stats (Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn presumably).

Confirm on Grim Dawn, and they have early and cheap respeccing, and they added full reset potions in the first expansion.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like the way Grim Dawn does respecs, not that it's original at all. You have to go to an NPC and pay a bit of money to remove things point by point. There are 2 skill trees and one costs a (fairly trivial) resource in addition to money. You also can't actually switch from say Demolition to Soldier skill trees, only shuffle around points in the tree, and you can't remove points from 'mastery' at all. So there's some amount of commitment without feeling like you're stuck forever. It's a good balance for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D3 endgame builds very much have their own identity with diverse item choices, stat considerations, and little idiosyncrasies. The only difference is that they don't take a thousand years to put together and you don't have to bring a character through the parts of the game nobody cares about to experiment with something new. The idea that you can do whatever you want with no observable difference from one ability to the next just because your skill choices aren't permanent goes away the minute you get into Torment difficulty. The game has been around for six years now with less frequent updates, which means that the best builds are pretty well-solidified by this point, but unless you're on the cutting edge of upper solo GR there are many ways to be effective.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Welcome to PYF, come for the multiple people getting bizarrely upset over inanimate objects making mild jokes at their expense (including designing their own creative projects with spite explicitly in mind), stay for the full-throated, utterly incoherent defense of the most milquetoast games media imaginable.

My angry game thing is that far cry 5 is a fun game to play but the whole "getting drugged and captured several dozen times" thing is the least immersive and dumbest plot mechanic I've ever seen. If they did it twice it would be ok, but after the fifth time I quit playing. Has anyone actually counted how often it happens?

You must realize that people don't think an inanimate object is insulting them, right?

If you read the words "hey One More Fat Nerd you're a bit of an idiot" do you think your computer is insulting you? Do you get mad at the SA website because it has gained sentience? Or do you realize that there is someone behind those words on a screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am fine with free respecs, but I do think they should have to be done at a specific time or location. (Your hub area in most games.) This encourages players to make characters that can handle a variety of situations rather than just rebuilding their character for every single encounter. It adds a bit of weight to your choices. A fair cost on respecs does the same. I recall borderlands doing a good job at respecs. I never had an issue when I wanted to respec my character, but it did have a cost that added a bit of weight to that decision.

Stats are hard, because it is really hard to balance something so that there is not maximally efficient build. Even if you do make the trade-offs compelling, the community will declare a defacto "meta" compliant build. That said, yeah, a lot of games handle these terribly, with there either being obvious trap stats or really obvious optimums where you just invest in the 2 stats your class cares about or whatever. If you have offensive and defensive stats, then players will naturally be compelled to use the absolute minimum of defensive stats. It's a tricky thing to do well.

I think it is hard to do well, and most players don't seem to care, they will just look up the optimal build anyway. It raises the barrier to entry and probably leads to a lot of conflict among players too, since people tend to yell at players that aren't running optimum builds. I can understand why a lot of games shy away from stat choices.