Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

Is there a place online where I can get a service manual for a 1998 2.5 ford ranger? Free or at a cost? Googling around brings me to a bunch of bullshit sites that don't actually have the manual.

AutoZone has a Chilton-grade manual for this available in their Repair Guides section online. Just need to make a free account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Autozone doesn't have one for my vehicle :smith:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

And am I correct in assuming it doesn't do all that much to actually seal the windshield against the elements?

It's been a loooong time since windshields were held in by rubber trim, probably everything made since the early-mid 80s is glued in place.

You could try shooting some RTV in between the body and the glass, but your best bet is to have the windshield replaced entirely so the adhesive gets completely reapplied.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

ROFLburger posted:

Is there a place online where I can get a service manual for a 1998 2.5 ford ranger? Free or at a cost? Googling around brings me to a bunch of bullshit sites that don't actually have the manual.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...manual&_sacat=0

Ebay, at a cost

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

Autozone doesn't have one for my vehicle :smith:

I could have sworn they had one but I guess I'm going senile. :corsair:

Aside from the GOD drat WATER PUMP most poo poo on that truck is "remove, replace" anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

It's been a loooong time since windshields were held in by rubber trim, probably everything made since the early-mid 80s is glued in place.

You could try shooting some RTV in between the body and the glass, but your best bet is to have the windshield replaced entirely so the adhesive gets completely reapplied.

That's what I figured. The car is definitely a beater, and the windshield is in good shape (though it's definitely not the original), so I'm not really wanting to drop that kind of coin. But I'm guessing removal of most glued-in windshields usually destroys them, doesn't it?

The leak is significantly less bad when that trim is in place, though, so I'd like to track it down if I can. The current piece doesn't really want to stay in, it pops out at highway speeds. The PO definitely held it down with duct tape, but I'd prefer to not quite go that ghetto unless I have no other option.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

spankmeister posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-and-3-8-in-Drive-Torx-Bit-Socket-Set-11-Piece-HTXBS11PCSR/203559459

15 bucks with lifetime warranty. They're not as strong as the snap ons but you can buy almost 3 full sets for the price of 1 snap on socket.

I ended up buying this and it worked well. (I already had my mechanic free the bolts before hand.)

STR posted:

One of the more common ABS issues is a wheel speed sensor failure; on GMs, that's often part of the wheel hub. Having a bad wheel speed sensor (usually) also takes out your traction control.

To be honest, that's what my mind first went to when you said your mechanic said the ABS controller was bad.

Replaced the problem hub with a AC Delco OEM Hub

also replaced the pads and disc brake rotor

This fixed the ABS and TC lights a few seconds after moving the Yukon. Should I replace the opposite side hub as well? Googling doesn't give a clear answer.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I have another car with problems. This is a 1995 Toyota Corolla 4Door Base 1.6L L4 AE101 Engine Automatic A131L with ~231,000 miles on it.

I got it extremely cheap from a relative who was the original owner. Just today, the car will not start but it does turn over. The AM2 30 amp pal fuse was the problem. Searching online shows this could be a problem with the distributor, ignition wires, oil dripping from valve gasket/distributor unto wiring harness, corroded 30 amp pal fuse, or the EFI Relay.

Bought 3 30 amp pal fuses and first tried to just replace that fuse, which blew. Next, swapped the EFI relay with another one to rule it out, 30 amp fuse blew again. Examined my engine and it appears that there is oil leaking from my distributor or valve cover gasket. This leak is not new. I am planning on replacing the distributor, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, as well as cleaning the oil leak with my pressure washer. Is this appropriate, or is there something else I should look into first?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR posted:

But I'm guessing removal of most glued-in windshields usually destroys them, doesn't it?

If you're careful you can remove it. I used a high strength metal cable wrapped around two makeshift handles to gently saw away at the gasket to free a windshield from a junkyard forester. It's tedious work, and if you care about the donor vehicle you'll have to be careful not to damage the surrounding metal. Stressful too as the perimeter of the glass is longer than you think and every inch you're worried about cracking the new one. I managed to pull it off but did a tiny amount of damage to one corner on the donor glass. Still sealed fine at least.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ymmv but I've had good luck going to the local auto glass place and telling them the problem if it's something vaguely within their scope. Probably 3/4 of my visits to them they've just squirted a dollop of whatever adhesive and/or sealant into the problem area at no charge because it took 30 seconds out of a slow afternoon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Preoptopus posted:

Calling VAG nerds!
Some loving goof i know bought an Audi a6 and I said id take a look at the brakes. Now im in the garage scratching my head.
2000 audi a6 2.7t

Some chuckle gently caress put calipers and brakes on his poo poo and now theres no pedal and a grinding noise.
So i inspect the fronts. Both pad sensor wires are cut and wired to each other, Inside the rotor is completly ground. The brake line is literally hanging by a few threads on the right front.
ok that explains the no pedal.
Pull the caliper off.
What the gently caress? Is this the wrong caliper?

People could only guess, or at best suggest how it got hosed up which won't fix it anyway. No use wasting your time, energy or thinking power on it, you've already got enough clues it's so bad it's unsafe to drive and there's nothing of known good parts or quality fitment there.
Tell them it's hosed and get it re-done somewhere properly. If you're real close and they'll work on it with you get prices on replacing everything.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 23, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Gardenator posted:

I have another car with problems. This is a 1995 Toyota Corolla 4Door Base 1.6L L4 AE101 Engine Automatic A131L with ~231,000 miles on it.

I got it extremely cheap from a relative who was the original owner. Just today, the car will not start but it does turn over. The AM2 30 amp pal fuse was the problem. Searching online shows this could be a problem with the distributor, ignition wires, oil dripping from valve gasket/distributor unto wiring harness, corroded 30 amp pal fuse, or the EFI Relay.

Bought 3 30 amp pal fuses and first tried to just replace that fuse, which blew. Next, swapped the EFI relay with another one to rule it out, 30 amp fuse blew again. Examined my engine and it appears that there is oil leaking from my distributor or valve cover gasket. This leak is not new. I am planning on replacing the distributor, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, as well as cleaning the oil leak with my pressure washer. Is this appropriate, or is there something else I should look into first?

Oil leaks and failing spark plug wires rarely blow fuses but there could be some shorting under the cover if it's alloy and not plastic. Though maybe the oil leaks are so bad it gets pressure washed a lot and that's causing electrical problems? drat, never pressure wash an engine bay.
If the online research you've done says an oil leak could cause the fuse to blow - how bad would pressure washing be?
Oil leaking from a dizzy (generally - in other cars) is normally underneath - does not effect dizzy electronics - so going by your own diagnostics (not mine!), try using a good degreaser like crc, gentle scrubbing and hosing/rinsing down, and replacing cam cover gasket, dizzy and wires.
E: Your pics weren't loading for me before, that cam cover looks tight, the spark wires don't go under a metal cover like I thought it may, so they're probably OK too. To me looks like a nasty leak on the dizzy o ring, but could still be from something just below that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 23, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

2006 Durango SLT 4.7L v8

I'm experiencing some weird throttle and acceleration hiccups. Occasionally, when I put the truck in reverse, and I'm driving slowly, and stop, start reversing again - the truck will stall out.
Occasionally, if I'm sitting in Drive, with my foot on the brake just idling (like at a fast food drive-up or something where you sit for 3-5 minutes at a time..) , the truck will stall out.
And finally, if the truck is decelerating with my foot off the gas pedal, and it's just coasting down a road; once the speed gets low enough, the RPM's will drop, then rev up, drop, rev up, etc. All these weird occurences in each instance are happening at low speed.

My guess is that this is maybe some fuel delivery issue at low speeds? Would using some fuel injector cleaner help possibly? What's going on here?
I replaced the fuel pump about 4 months ago, so I don't think it's failing, but I could be wrong.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Click for big:

These were manufactured on the 27th week of 2009, correct?

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/services-tips/tire-guide/tire-sidewall.html

Stay away, yeah? Craigslist ad didnt mention age, just "3000 miles since new"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, those are nine year old tires. I wouldn't run them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Dennis McClaren posted:

2006 Durango SLT 4.7L v8

I'm experiencing some weird throttle and acceleration hiccups. Occasionally, when I put the truck in reverse, and I'm driving slowly, and stop, start reversing again - the truck will stall out.
Occasionally, if I'm sitting in Drive, with my foot on the brake just idling (like at a fast food drive-up or something where you sit for 3-5 minutes at a time..) , the truck will stall out.
And finally, if the truck is decelerating with my foot off the gas pedal, and it's just coasting down a road; once the speed gets low enough, the RPM's will drop, then rev up, drop, rev up, etc. All these weird occurences in each instance are happening at low speed.

My guess is that this is maybe some fuel delivery issue at low speeds? Would using some fuel injector cleaner help possibly? What's going on here?
I replaced the fuel pump about 4 months ago, so I don't think it's failing, but I could be wrong.

Sound like an idle air control valve/solenoid fault or vacuum leaks, I doubt fuel injector cleaner will help. Remove valve, check solenoid winding, clean or replace. And at 12y/o all rubbers and vac lines are suspect so check for leaks (smoke testing), or just replace most of the lines.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Another one for the Turismo, I was on my way to get the muffler replaced and the thing started backfiring really badly then it stalled. Long story short is it seems to be the vacuum advance diaphragm went and I lost my vac advance completely. Problem is the diaphragm is mounted on the computer module and no one makes replacements so what do I do? Obviously a used one is very unlikely to work due to age so are there any alternative ways to fix it? Only thing I found was someone posted how to convert it to a points system and I would rather not add an extra layer of unreliability at this time.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Do you mean converting to CDI? Because that honestly seems like the better option compared to trying to find a diaphragm. You'd get a better spark that way too. I have no idea what the specs on diaphragms are but I can't imagine there not being a compatible one on another car, somewhere.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
The part that makes it hard to find is it is a diaphragm with a 2 wire sensor in it, the wires run out of it and directly into the computer with no connector between them. I'll look into CDI since that sounds like a better idea all around. The thing I found was someone put in a points based distributor with built in centrifugal advance from an air cooled VW into theirs.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, those are nine year old tires. I wouldn't run them.
Thanks, I definitely passed.

Anyone ever buy from simpletire.com before? They've got the best price on the tires I want by $5, and its free shipping. Any horror stories?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I did! Now I just gotta find a shop that will install them for less than $80.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
If you use RockAuto, you might consider changing your password (and anywhere else you might have reused that password).

My longish and random password popped up in Have I Been Pwned's collection of known dark web passwords.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I live in the South Bay Area in CA and want to buy a car for commuting. I know gently caress all about cars, I have a piece of poo poo hyundai accent 2006 and it's manual. I hate driving a manual in traffic. I think this thing is worth like $500 at the most. If I really don't give a gently caress and want a reliable car that is not fancy which is automatic, uh, I don't know what I'm asking really... like what are 'good' cars I can get for say $2000, $4000 and $6000? Of course it'll be used and not new, I don't really care. Just, any make/model to look out for? Any dealer you recommend (I remember someone telling me once about a place that sells used cars and doesn't have salesmen and doesn't do negotiation, that sounds good to me)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think you're thinking of Carmax, but they rarely do cars in that price range. They DO have some of the cleanest cars, and my own experience with them was pretty positive. It's very rare to see a car under $8k on one of their lots (anything under $10k is still a unicorn there).

$2000 isn't going to get you much. If you can swing $4k-$6k, and just want a reliable commuter, look at a Toyota Corolla. Comedy option would be a newer (09+) Chevy Malibu or Chevy Cobalt. They're fairly reliable and don't hold their value worth a flying poo poo, but finding one that's been maintained is more of a challenge vs a Toyota. Though the automatic in the Cobalt is pretty sluggish to downshift when you want it to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you get an 09 Chevy *anything*, be prepared to replace HVAC damper motors. It's still a plague on all of their models, including trucks, a decade after their introduction.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
In my area anything that runs and drives is automatically worth 1k, and until around 4k it's mostly junk that needs a ton of work. 4-6k has plenty of somewhat higher mileage (70-130k) or older vehicles but there is a good selection. I would look at brands that depreciate really badly to get a good deal. Chevy Cruze is supposed to be especially reliable. Another Hyundai shouldn't be too bad either. My sister bought a newer VW in that price range since they depreciate like a rock in my area but has to replace small parts more often than she should.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

More fuckity 92 ram van behavior!

While driving the voltage gauge, normally at 13, will dip to 12, accompanied by a visible dimming of dash and headlights. It will slowly go down from there to ~11, and no further. Eventually it pops back up to 13 and everything brightens again. This cycle will repeat periodically. Stopping and restarting the engine makes it go back to full power for a bit but eventually it comes back. It had been doing this for a while when I parked for the night, and after I parked and had been sitting a bit the battery read 12.5 so it doesn't appear it wasn't getting charged.

While it didn't affect the running and driving of the thing (yet) this seems concerning.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

2004 Murray riding lawnmower

Briggs and Stratton
31D777
0235-E1
0402 9ZD

When you push the throttle level fully forward, it engages the choke. When you pull the throttle back a notch, it is supposed to disengage the choke. My choke isn't disengaging. I'm guessing there is a broken spring, but I didn't find any spring remains attached to anything and there isn't any obvious (to me) place where the spring would connect. Any ideas on how the choke is supposed to disengage?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
There should be a small cylindrical spring that wraps around the choke shaft and rotates the choke open. It could be broken or dislodged.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a 2003 Civic hybrid. How feasible is it to get a small trailer for hauling heavy poo poo from Home Depot? The car only has an 850-pound load limit and doesn't really have good access for stowing e.g. bags of concrete, bricks, etc. Some cursory googling suggests that it should be able to tow 1000 pounds' worth, and a trailer would be a lot easier to load/unload.

I have no idea how trailers work, though. There's no standard-looking trailer hitch with the ball joint; I just have a steel loop welded to the frame which is presumably for towing the car itself if it breaks down, not for the car towing something else. Does the car need to be modified to be able to tow? Do even small trailers require hooking up brake/turn signals?

I know the standard answer is just to rent the Home Depot truck but that adds an extra layer of paperwork and complexity to jobs that I'd really rather just not deal with.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm not sure, but I seem to remember hearing that CVTs and trailers don't go together very well.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You definitely need a hitch installed. You also will 100% need to figure out a brake light/turn signal solution as all trailers need them. Do your math, though, because that tow rating is comically small and you're going to shell out a ton of money for laughably small utility. Even a really light trailer is like 300lbs. Home depot offers free/cheap van usage if you buy stuff there, too. With how much the hitch, trailer and wiring are going to cost I would be tempted to price out a beater half ton and run it on temp tags when you need it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-i-1-1-4-hitch/class-i-trailer-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf25wM9znIGUwk2Q3LHwhKe8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-3-5-ft-x-5-ft-Wire-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/3680952

I was going to link to the utility trailer from Harbor Freight, but they've apparently been pulled due to non-DOT-compliant tires.

E: You'll also need a ~$65 wiring harness/converter.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a 2003 Civic hybrid. How feasible is it to get a small trailer for hauling heavy poo poo from Home Depot? The car only has an 850-pound load limit and doesn't really have good access for stowing e.g. bags of concrete, bricks, etc. Some cursory googling suggests that it should be able to tow 1000 pounds' worth, and a trailer would be a lot easier to load/unload.

I have no idea how trailers work, though. There's no standard-looking trailer hitch with the ball joint; I just have a steel loop welded to the frame which is presumably for towing the car itself if it breaks down, not for the car towing something else. Does the car need to be modified to be able to tow? Do even small trailers require hooking up brake/turn signals?

I know the standard answer is just to rent the Home Depot truck but that adds an extra layer of paperwork and complexity to jobs that I'd really rather just not deal with.

Rent the home depot truck. You've got one of the worst vehicles possible for towing, and what you're talking about doing to modify it isn't that cheap anyway. Yes, you need a towing wiring harness.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Rent the home depot truck. You've got one of the worst vehicles possible for towing, and what you're talking about doing to modify it isn't that cheap anyway. Yes, you need a towing wiring harness.

Yeah, this seems like the sane path. The amount of damage that might be done to the Civic if you guess wrong on what it can handle is going to be way more than the cost of renting a truck for a day or even a few hours.

Pay the money and be done with it. There's no need to destroy your car over it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A beater van or pickup to haul stuff in would cost less than attaching a hitch to that thing and carry like 5x as much.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

If you're trying to add coolant to your engine, does it hurt the vehicle in anyway to pour coolant directly into the reservoir, instead of into the radiator first? Or does it make no difference ultimately?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you have a coolant leak? Does the coolant overflow (reservoir) level go up and down with every drive? As long as it actually functions and the coolant level fluctuates with temperature, and you're doing a small top-up, I see no problem with the overflow. If there's a leak or some other reason you need to regularly fill up, you should add directly to the radiator so you don't end up with airspace in the coolant system itself. Bubbles = bad.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Dennis McClaren posted:

If you're trying to add coolant to your engine, does it hurt the vehicle in anyway to pour coolant directly into the reservoir, instead of into the radiator first? Or does it make no difference ultimately?

For top ups it's usually the only way? Most systems have no direct entry into the rad these days and have the cap somewhere else, or on the reservoir/expansion tank.

If you're filling from empty on a cold system, many cars have tricks like loosening a top rad hose and turing it upwards to make a funnel into the engine which means less air purging needed if that's what you are asking. But standard procedure for many cars is LOL, your only option is expansion tank filling and the huge hassle with air bleeding after - this is normal - well maybe, because that's quite the question you asked without even mentioning the car.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Twerk from Home posted:

Seconding just rent home depot's truck as needed, unless you are making multiple trips a month insurance on a beater vehicle is going to be more expensive and require maintenance. A hitch/trailer would likely not be able to carry much and be expensive to set up. If you still want to though you can prob find the parts+trailer new for about $700-800 without installation, not ideal though due to the CVT.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 27, 2018