Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Memento posted:

Watching Iron Man, there's a few places where Stark is doing his computer stuff and the default Steam message tone plays. Got me the first time, then I realised I wasn't even logged in to Steam.

He probably just has Steam installed into that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paladin posted:

Which episode was it?

I don't remember. Somewhere in the third season.

Funny enough, that was the first show I watched on Hulu, back when they only had the free service. It had been years later and I couldn't think of anything else to watch, so I decided to rewatch Rockford Files. Great show. They'll probably reboot it sometime soon. I could see John Hamm doing a good job of it.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://jalopnik.com/dealership-makes-woman-sitting-right-in-front-of-them-c-1826232532

quote:

Marci Robin was buying a Fiat 500X from a West Palm Beach, Florida dealership, and was in the final stages of signing all the paperwork, when she was presented with a strange but simple question: was she a robot?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That is literally the dumbest thing I've read all week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Memento posted:

That is literally the dumbest thing I've read all week.

That’s exactly what a robot would say

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hulu keeps giving me $8/mo Hulu for $6/mo. I don't know why exactly, but I figure $6 a month is enough for me to not mind commercials.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

Hulu keeps giving me $8/mo Hulu for $6/mo. I don't know why exactly, but I figure $6 a month is enough for me to not mind commercials.

We get it for that price as part of Spotify Student because of course we're going to take advantage of that discount

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Mierenneuker posted:

There was a while where Tele2 advertised as "the newest 4G network". This is because they were thrash compared to T-Mobile, so they couldn't really advertise with "the best 4G network" :thumbsup:

There's a podcast I listen to that advertises MVMT watches as 'the second-highest funded fashion kickstarter of 2013' and I think when you have to get that granular and you're still not number 1 why bother? I'm sure they could find another angle to sell themselves on.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

This is some beautifully stupid corporate streamlining. I know there's probably some legal reason the customer has to be the one to check that box, but drat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope it was one of those captchas where you have to mark the parts of an image that have a car in them.

"This is just a formality, if you could just look out of the window for a second..."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

turnways posted:

This is some beautifully stupid corporate streamlining. I know there's probably some legal reason the customer has to be the one to check that box, but drat.

I’m almost certain it’s a “cover your rear end” maneuver, because they don’t want some litigious customer to come back at them with “How dare you click the ‘I’m not a robot’ box without me approving it!”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

turnways posted:

I would open web dev tools and delete that element before printing the page.

Or not, because it’s comic relief and might help sell a car someday.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

I am also very certain that the last paper ever printed by mankind will be done with Laserjet 5-series to request more spare parts from the museum. Those things are like the AK-47 or DC-3 of the printers and everything can be changed by a tech with one mid-sized screwdriver.
In the meantime, instead of downloading obscene amounts of bloatware, just install all of your black and white HP laser printers with the Laserjet 4 driver and they'll work just fine.

CommonShore posted:

(On a similar note sometime you should figure out what it costs to run a washing machine and a dryer and then do the math to figure out how many cycles it takes to make it cheaper to own your own washer/dryer than to go to a laundromat or pay for coin-op. The answer is "a fuckton.")
Less than a year and my clothes won't smell funny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Exactly. Those laundromat machines are never used on the high-temp settings, so all kinds of poo poo tends to accumulate in them. I've had bedsheets come out them stinking like old feet (butyric compounds, I think). It's bad when your clothes come out worse than when you put them in.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 08:15 on May 27, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

turnways posted:

dirksteadfast posted:

I’m almost certain it’s a “cover your rear end” maneuver, because they don’t want some litigious customer to come back at them with “How dare you click the ‘I’m not a robot’ box without me approving it!”
That's what I was thinking at first but the quote from the article makes it sound like it's litterally just a captcha to make sure a human clerk is accessing the system since they say it's "required to print the next one". Gonna go with the dealership accountant or counsel is the sort of person who still owns an iPod and thinks this is a required documentation best practice even though it's equivalent to asking the person to log in for the clerk.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
They printed an ‘are you a robot’ captcha on paper, and had her check it off. With a pen. :psyduck:

What a time to be alive.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Time to start bring in one of these to help you sign documents:

https://twitter.com/Leech/status/824709545771626499

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The next civilization that unearths this civilization is going to think our lives were pretty loving exciting if they believe we were always on the lookout for masquerading robots.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Krispy Wafer posted:

The next civilization that unearths this civilization is going to think our lives were pretty loving exciting if they believe we were always on the lookout for masquerading robots.

Now that's a good movie idea.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Krispy Wafer posted:

The 600 series, we spotted them easy...

/cut to a heavily muscled man at the entrance to a resistance base. He reads the entry log clipboard and puts the pen back in the holder

I cannaught sign dis.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some personal dumb marketing was that an old long dead relative of mine had a cola company in the 40's and 50's that existed primarily in the Southeast and Southwest. One of the flavors they sold was a drink called Jo-Jo's with a clown as it's mascot. All we have are old bottles (including a disgusting one that is still full of the stuff), but we recently came across an old ad from a trade magazine at the time. Looking at that old advertisement yesterday I thought something looked off.

Yeah, it's a stereo-typically racist characticture of a Black man advertising for a chocolate drink.

I can't wait to bring this up at Thanksgiving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also they have to follow the same rules as cops, where if you ask them "are you a cop/robot?" they have to tell you

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, it's a stereo-typically racist characticture of a Black man advertising for a chocolate drink.
It's also what clowns look like. If they wanted to go whole racist, they would have made his face black, not simply not-white.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Some personal dumb marketing was that an old long dead relative of mine had a cola company in the 40's and 50's that existed primarily in the Southeast and Southwest. One of the flavors they sold was a drink called Jo-Jo's with a clown as it's mascot. All we have are old bottles (including a disgusting one that is still full of the stuff), but we recently came across an old ad from a trade magazine at the time. Looking at that old advertisement yesterday I thought something looked off.

I can't wait to bring this up at Thanksgiving.

That's just a clown, dude. Stop trying to inject racism into everything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Showing pics of a clown to own the family at thanksgiving.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Wonderful turkey mom. It's really good but heh what about THIS (whips blanket off an easel to reveal a picture of a clown)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Wonderful turkey mom. It's really good but heh what about THIS (whips blanket off an easel to reveal a picture of a clown)

I think your mom would appreciate a self-portrait you gave her

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Masterful. Top notch posting Bobby Digital. Thank you.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Masterful. Top notch posting Bobby Digital. Thank you.

More like oldresponseless

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

oldpainless posted:

"Oh, hate clowns now, do you, Timmy? Well let me ask you this..." *Mom slams hands down on table and looks dramatically* "What do you think you've been eating?"

"Oh god, Mom, I thought this tasted funny!"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Quit clowning around y'all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
But can you use the power of its fizz to break a cop's trigger finger with the cap?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You won't believe what fresh dirt I dug up on great grand uncle Benjamin, yes the one who died in 1955.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Haha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, no one here thinks it looks...odd? I'm really the only one?

:shrug:

BRB, going to find racism in my old school mascots to own my teachers.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For Atlanta in the 50s, it's comparatively downright benign

hell prob the same for the south in general all the time

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
To be fair, the drink probably wasn't white chocolate...

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
The ad is ambiguous, the guy's skin tone is a brown/red halftone which is as close to a human skin tone as you're likely to get if you don't want to pay for a fourth color of ink, and I mean, they have dark brown right there. The bottles, on the other hand, would be less ambiguous when filled with dark brown soda.

Tsubasa2004 has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Was “IT’S PASTEURIZED” really a great slogan by the 1940s? Hadn’t everyone been doing that for a few decades?