Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

It's not even the greatest of its era :colbert:

Bitch you best explain yourself because if there is a better show to watch I’d like to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bitch you best explain yourself because if there is a better show to watch I’d like to know

I love AD but I prefer It's Always Sunny by a big margin

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah sunny is way better, no question

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes anime is also good

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Suffer not an anime to live. :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Sometimes anime is also good

No. Nooope. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Anime is loving garbage

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anime is loving garbage
That's like saying books are rubbish, or black and white films are poo poo.

It's a medium, not a genre.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sunny.
Parks.
30 Rock.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tomarse posted:

Tonight I went to my local small metal/indie gig venue where they were doing a 'gig360' night. Instead of putting the bands on the stage you close the stage curtains and have them instead play in the middle of the room.
That was so much more fun than a normal gig. Usually a Tuesday night gig would be pretty quiet. Definitely isn't when you set it up like that :) Got to try and organise a 360 camera for the next one :)

Satan's Hollow in Manchester is set up like this.
Saw "Unleash the Archers" there and it was bloody awesome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

It's still an enormous bucket of complete loving crap with very few redeeming features, with a fanbase that deserves scorn. EXACTLY like comic books and especially the fanbase. The *very* few good works Like Spirited Away or OPM dont redeem the wide river of poo poo - and even the ones I enjoyed at the time they came out I rewatched later and I just cringe, they really are loving bad - I'm really not going to defend Trigun for instance. A couple of interesting ideas but holy crap what was I thinking otherwise

Now here's a difference between the anime fanboys and say my love of Kung-Fu movies. I'm happy for anyone to call the typical kung-fu movie crap because.... *ahem*...... they are. I'm nto going to defend them or pretend they are a worthwhile artform even if Drunken Master or Enter the Dragon or Hero exist - the vast majority are really bad and I'm not going to deny it. TBH I wouldnt really even care wether anime was a thing if it wasnt for the obnoxious fanboyism over objectively lousy works or how the fanboys get butthurt when you dare say you dont like whatever their latest waifu appears in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

Satan's Hollow in Manchester is set up like this.
Saw "Unleash the Archers" there and it was bloody awesome
Satans Hollow is the only venue in Manchester that I haven't ever been to!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ha, my friend's band did a thing where for a few songs they'd unload the drummer's kit from the stage to the middle of the crowd. It gets pretty loving hectic :black101:
Yeah, I love bands that do this. Always makes it more fun :)

I'm not sure if its my musical tastes or my local small venues but I can't recall going to a gig which didn't involve most of the band playing off the stage for a lot of the time anyway. The standard mic cable they use in this place will reach out into the smoking area out back or into the road outside the front door :black101:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No. Nooope. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Anime is loving garbage something I would rather not watch.

From hostile and actively trollish to a much more pleasant and rewarding interaction.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, I love bands that do this. Always makes it more fun :)

I'm not sure if its my musical tastes or my local small venues but I can't recall going to a gig which didn't involve most of the band playing off the stage for a lot of the time anyway. The standard mic cable they use in this place will reach out into the smoking area out back or into the road outside the front door :black101:

One friend's band the lead singer bought himself a wireless mic purely so he could roam the crowd. One evening they were playing some joint with a mezzanine and he waltzed upstairs purely to jump into the crowd. Another band Conjurer (who are loving sickkkkkk https://conjureruk.bandcamp.com/album/i ) my friend played bass for until he had other band commitments. He used to play with his top off, body covered fully with a Japanese suit of tattoos. He used to jump off the stage and patrol the front row, scaring the crowd backwards... Dude is intense when he plays. Anyway you should check them out, they're dope and heavy as.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I used to play guitar behind my head when I was 16 and we opened our shows with the tetris theme.

I peaked early.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beverly Cleavage posted:

From hostile and actively trollish to a much more pleasant and rewarding interaction.

He only has an on and off setting.

If you don't like a thing that's cool, but if other people like it who cares? I don't like anime either but goddamn man, I feel like 50% of your posts are soap box yell rants about some thing you hate or is bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our house band at the bar had a bassist with a remote setup so he could bounce around the bar and play. That was always a good time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's still an enormous bucket of complete loving crap with very few redeeming features, with a fanbase that deserves scorn. EXACTLY like comic books and especially the fanbase. The *very* few good works Like Spirited Away or OPM dont redeem the wide river of poo poo - and even the ones I enjoyed at the time they came out I rewatched later and I just cringe, they really are loving bad - I'm really not going to defend Trigun for instance. A couple of interesting ideas but holy crap what was I thinking otherwise

Now here's a difference between the anime fanboys and say my love of Kung-Fu movies. I'm happy for anyone to call the typical kung-fu movie crap because.... *ahem*...... they are. I'm nto going to defend them or pretend they are a worthwhile artform even if Drunken Master or Enter the Dragon or Hero exist - the vast majority are really bad and I'm not going to deny it. TBH I wouldnt really even care wether anime was a thing if it wasnt for the obnoxious fanboyism over objectively lousy works or how the fanboys get butthurt when you dare say you dont like whatever their latest waifu appears in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Larrymer posted:

He only has an on and off setting.

If you don't like a thing that's cool, but if other people like it who cares? I don't like anime either but goddamn man, I feel like 50% 90% of your posts are soap box yell rants about some thing you hate or is bad.

Fixed for you

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
A woman boils chicken breast and he's mad about animes

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

A woman boils chicken breast and he's mad about animes

See now it’s almost less effort to poach the chicken breast, which depending on your use case is a perfectly valid and tasty way to cook chicken.

And while we’re doing that, let’s save a few bucks and switch to thighs, skin on. Cheaper and so much tastier. I’ve always been a leg man :v:

slothrop fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 23, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

iwentdoodie posted:

Sunny.
Parks.
30 Rock.

This is a good and accurate post.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

iwentdoodie posted:

Sunny.
Parks.
30 Rock.
Yeah. If Netflix fucks with me even more and takes Parks & Rec off like they did the other two I will revolt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slothrop posted:

See now it’s almost less effort to poach the chicken breast, which depending on your use case is a perfectly valid and tasty way to cook chicken.

And while we’re doing that, let’s save a few bucks and switch to thighs, skin on. Cheaper and so much tastier. I’ve always been a leg man :v:

she said boil so i'm assuming she's not poaching it.

poaching is fine but you're not getting any good chicken skin if you do that

she said she boils ribs too so i'm guessing everything gets boiled

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Sever. Pan searing or baking a bird isn't difficult.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's still an enormous bucket of complete loving crap with very few redeeming features, with a fanbase that deserves scorn.
I'm not sure what your objective is, with the way you post about, well, everything.

You come across as just being so impotently angry about everything, and with no middle ground or balance on things. The inevitable posting of OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg following one of your rants is becoming practically a meme in itself.

We could probably have a fairly interesting debate about the relative weighting of when a medium can be viewed as a genre, and the tropes and archetypes that go with that, but instead all you want to do is hold forth. Now, there's nothing wrong with a good soapbox session, but it seems like you just want to beat people down about whatever the subject at hand is, irrespective of whether you're in a position to or have chosen someone it's going to work on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wrar posted:

The fan grill setting on my oven has picked up about 75% of the workload recently, it's just better for most things.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only thing I boil is pasta.

Also I thought Bleach was a good anime, and I grew up watching G-Force and Robotech :shrug:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cat Terrist: the anime of AI posters

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Well that is super true. I love some good crispy chicken skin. This is my fav chicken recipe. I lived for over a year without a properly functioning oven and it’s the first thing I cooked when I moved. Spend the time to separate the skin from the breast with the back of a teaspoon and dose with hot smoked paprika as well as salt and garlic.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 23, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's still an enormous bucket of complete loving crap with very few redeeming features, with a fanbase that deserves scorn.

We're talking about Miatas right? Lifted trucks? Wait maybe stance life bozos. Our country music. Heck maybe millennials???

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

Sunny.
Parks.
30 Rock.

I obviously need to give sunny a try. I will disagree on 30 Rock. It was very good, but not peak TV for me. P&R is a lovely show and has to be the most broadly appealing sitcom of all time. The layers of comedy found in AD still put it above P&R for me.

Anime is bad.

Went to see A Quiet Place last night and that was a good movie. Very intense and a quality watch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I obviously need to give sunny a try. I will disagree on 30 Rock. It was very good, but not peak TV for me. P&R is a lovely show and has to be the most broadly appealing sitcom of all time. The layers of comedy found in AD still put it above P&R for me.

I can't stand 30 Rock for some reason. I think it's Alec Baldwin. P&R is great and I love the characters too but still doesn't have the layers that AD has as you said. I can rewatch it and usually find a reference or something else I missed the first time around. Sunny for me is very hit or miss. They are good episodes and bad but some of the characters get pretty tiresome for whatever reason.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like Scrubs a lot more than Parks and Rec

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All this talk of best sitcoms and no mention of Seinfeld yet? For shame :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

It's not even the greatest of its era :colbert:

Also, since I'm already down a rabbit hole...you guys think just trying to get an early 00s Chevy 1500 to tow a 20' car trailer woth a civic on it basically once a week is asking too much out of one?

I def don't want to daily a truck, so newer is out, but I also don't know how I feel about that much weight so often.

Edit: it'd be like 100 mile roundtrips.

Elmnt80 posted:

It will handle it fine, just make sure trans services have heen done and put a big aux trans cooler on it.

What he said. An LSx Chevy truck should have plenty of power, and the chassis will be fine with that trailer, as long as you don't try to load a land barge too often.

Goober Peas posted:

Indiana is very violent

In other news, let's say hypothetically you drive a Honda or Toyota

You're on the freeway and it begins to downpour

Do you:

A) Turn on your headlights
B) Turn on your hazard lights
C) Move to the left-most lane
D) Slow down to 30 mph below traffic
E) Options B, C, and D

If you answered A you obviously aren't driving a Honda or Toyota

We've discussed this before. It's because Honda (and several other manufacturers) light up the dash at all times, and have DRLs, so idiot drivers have no clue that their headlights *aren't* on.

KakerMix posted:

car SUCKS! i HATE car.

The Crown wagon we have has a blown headgasket and I am totally unwilling to do anything about it besides sell it off as a loss and try to forget about 'royal' and 'saloon'.

Nooooooooooooooo!
Uh, how much? Asking for a friend.

:20bux:

InitialDave posted:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The only thing I boil is pasta.

And eggs.

quote:

Also I thought Bleach was a good anime, and I grew up watching G-Force and Robotech :shrug:

Haven't watched Bleach. I'm with you on the other two, but you forgot Star Blazers and Speed Racer.
Also, Full Metal Alchemist is pretty good. I've seen bits of a lot of others recently, because my daughter (now 16) discovered anime on Netflix.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

it's a coworker and i cant do anything about where i sit at work

also, clipping your nails at your desk should be a fireable offense

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

All this talk of best sitcoms and no mention of Seinfeld yet? For shame :colbert:

Previous generation. The mid 2000s elevated the sitcom way beyond the 90's. Seinfeld is great.

For anyone who hates Michael Cera you need to watch This is the End, or at least the first 20 minutes of it. They roast him pretty good. Everyone plays a parody of themselves. Like so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anime talk:

Vast majority of it is derivative trash, reworks of stuff that went before, far too much emphasis on panty shots of teen girls and such. There's just so much crap to wade through to find something decent. Every nerd was screaming about Attack on Titan being amazing so I thought that maybe there was something worth watching and tried it myself. I got through the entire series in a few days, 25 episodes. In the end (or rather about 5 episodes in) I was disappointed, the premise was loving fantastic, a civilisation trapped behind walls fighting off human-eating giants? Cool. The actual show was your usual manga-anime translation, just so much time wasted on stereotypical characters doing gently caress all. I think the total run time for the action in all 25 episodes was something like 20 minutes. The rest was your whiny teen protagonist being a typical anime whiny teen protagonist, the overly long lovely intro song and recaps of previous episodes one of which I counted as something like 8 minutes long!

Last I tried was One Punch Man which was a fun little subversion of the usual shite ...which then introduces characters which are your usual shite. Saitama = fun, pisstake of anime character traditions. Genos = boring, typical anime crap. I think I got about 10 episodes in before it started to wear a little thin on me, though I admit some of the baddies were loving brilliant, the dude that wanted to be a bosozoku car is forever in my heart despite him getting 30 seconds of screen time.

I grew up watching anime as a kid so all the tropes are just so loving tedious. I have a fondness for the early stuff because back then they weren't tropes so weren't boring. On occasion something good pops up but it's still such a lovely slog to get to it. I enjoyed the daftness that is Space Dandy as it's not afraid to take the piss out of itself or the characters but I've seen little else of note. I'm not saying don't suggest something if you want to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93GDg2qPQM

I'm disappointed the DVD version of Akira on release came with a re-dubbed soundtrack, Leonardo from the Turtles is my Kaneda god drat it. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 23, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think my brain is more damaged than anyone thought. I saw this image while browsing Imgur and my immediate reaction was to search Craigslist for Subaru XT prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm coming up on halfway through Cowboy Bebop and this poo poo is awesome how did I miss it?

• Locked thread