Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Is wheel speed == 0? Ok then release brakes.

It's a bit more complicated than this. There could well be many cars on the market with poor ABS implementation that never got any press or any updates. But for the most part, engineers look at what it takes to make a good ABS implementation and say "gently caress it, just get off the shelf Bosch units". Tesla of course, jumps at the opportunity to reinvent the wheel and anything wheel-related.

edit to un-snark: it's more complicated, but not necessarily a lot more. It looks at wheel speed rates of change and then compares that to a set of rules of which wheels are allowed to do what.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even off the shelf units have to have some calibration for the vehicle they are installed on. There's a shitton of variables that go into a proper abs solution than just wheelspeed.

In Subaru's case, the suspension was basically triggering ice mode where traction is assumed to be near zero and the ABS is pulsed very fast with little force to prevent a direction-less slide.

The main intent of ABS is to keep the car going in the same direction it was going during braking. The suspension bounce was causing such a loss of traction that the ABS unit assumed that the wheels that went over the bump were on ice. If that's the case, it's not just enough to limit braking on those wheels to try to extract as much breaking traction as you can, you also need to limit braking force in the wheels with traction or those wheels are going to plant and the car will enter a spin.

So, the car, due to suspension design, was being tricked into thinking that a chunk of wheels were on ice and thus has to cut braking force to everything to keep the car going in a straight line.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Even big manufacturers face this problem http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/10/02/0209.html

What I want to know is, how did they not catch it? Or do they have procedures to catch something like this eventually? It seems insane that a review had to be the one to call this issue out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ethereal posted:

What I want to know is, how did they not catch it? Or do they have procedures to catch something like this eventually? It seems insane that a review had to be the one to call this issue out.

I think the same can be said for a lot of these defects. In my example, did Subaru never test braking over potholes?

What's interesting about this case is the speed of a fix. It's both awesome and concerning.

It took several accidents and an NTSB investigation for Subaru to even admit to the issue and then several months more to get a fix program in place.

Tesla decides within a day they are going to fix the problem (good) and promise a fix shortly via OTA (concerning.)

Either the fix is going to go out with not enough testing and investigation time, or the issue was already known about and the fix was already scheduled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Shortly” can mean a lot of things.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Subjunctive posted:

“Shortly” can mean a lot of things.

True that. There's alot of things that Elon promised shortly that took a year + or never happened.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ABS calibration at fault / fix via OTA? gently caress Tesla. Hurry up and crater so the rest of the auto industry can get EVs done correctly.

Someone asked / mentioned earlier if Tesla was having trouble finding vendors to supply and work with them...they have definitely had that in the past. Playing nice and then dropping the supplier after (poorly) reverse-engineering the component and vertically integrating it, and approaching suppliers with an attitude I can best summarize at “lol why do cars still have four wheels, you guys can’t innovate, move fast and break things.”

Horrid organization to deal with. Good engineers buried deep down though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why bother employing competent QA testers when the public will do it for free and then fawn over you making the changes?

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HePVTmr_CDM

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

gently caress Tesla. Hurry up and crater so the rest of the auto industry can get EVs done correctly.

Right now Tesla's the only one really pushing EVs as something more than a 100 mile street-legal golf cart, trying to produce them in mass quantities, not poo-poo them at the time of sale, and provide the charging infrastructure to eliminate some travel range anxiety. I, too, would much rather live in a world where there are more than two manufacturers putting out >200 mile range EVs. Tesla succeeding makes that happen much faster. Half my reasoning for buying a model 3 was a vote for that world ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

movax posted:

ABS calibration at fault / fix via OTA? gently caress Tesla. Hurry up and crater so the rest of the auto industry can get EVs done correctly.

If they get EVs done at all. With the way that US manufacturers are dragging their feet, I have the feeling without Tesla we’d have protectionist imports on EVs coming to the US and gas-guzzling poo poo roaming the streets after GM, Ford and Exxon-Mobil bribe lobby the government to stop EV sales in the name of oil jobs. Hate Tesla all you want, they’re still the reason that people even know about EVs nowadays.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Proof that there is too much wood on the dash.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Voted 1, didn't break a window or do the woody woodpecker laugh.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hifi posted:

he means the actual vents that you see in the car. you drag a little dot to aim the air at your nuts

This isn’t unique to Tesla; the new Panamera (and presumably Cayenne) has a feature like this too and it’s actually pretty cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

drgitlin posted:

This isn’t unique to Tesla; the new Panamera (and presumably Cayenne) has a feature like this too and it’s actually pretty cool.
Since its just electronically adjusting the speed of the fans its probably more reliable, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ilkhan posted:

Since its just electronically adjusting the speed of the fans its probably more reliable, too.

It also changes where the fans aim their air.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Hate Tesla all you want, they’re still the reason that people even know about EVs nowadays.

Tesla made EVs cool. Showed everyone they didn't have to be pseudo-golf carts with a top speed of 25mph.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

drgitlin posted:

My boss has the new Panamera and adjusting the vents is a pain (in the rear seats, haven't seen how they work in the front seats). There's a giant touchscreen with a graphic of the vent and a little white dot where the vents are aimed, you drag the dot to where you want to aim the vents and about a second later the physical vents start moving around. It's cool to see and mess with at the beginning, but in practice you position the vent, wait for it to physically adjust, find that's a little too high/low/left/right, re-position the vent, wait for it to physically adjust, find that's a little too high/low/left/right, repeat over and over until you get it exactly where you want where with a little nub on the vent you can have it done almost immediately.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Went camping this weekend with our S in the olympic mountains and stellar's Jays kept checkin out the car. Also other campers.

These are the jays - https://www.fws.gov/refuge/willapa/wildlife_and_habitat/birds/stellers_jay.html they look rad.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Did nobody else laugh at this?

quote:

Tesla won’t stop until Model 3 has better braking than any remotely comparable car.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

Did nobody else laugh at this?

I didn't at first,. But can't stop snickering now..

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

drgitlin posted:

It also changes where the fans aim their air.
AFAIK it does that by varying the speed and letting the differential between upper and lower and left and right move the air around.

And yeah, without Tesla EVs would still be a non-thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Bullshit, they deserve some credit for changing a lot of pre-conceived notions about EVs but EVs were going to come regardless because India and China desperately need them and CARB mandated them so the major manufactures were going to ship them to the US regardless.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I mean cheap drugs are a thing in China and India, too. Doesn't mean they'd ever end up in the US. Some things are better in other countries because they make laws to put a stop to corporate bullshit. The US makes laws to enforce it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Bullshit, they deserve some credit for changing a lot of pre-conceived notions about EVs but EVs were going to come regardless because India and China desperately need them and CARB mandated them so the major manufactures were going to ship them to the US regardless.
Because compliance cars are still so well regarded...

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ilkhan posted:

AFAIK it does that by varying the speed and letting the differential between upper and lower and left and right move the air around.

And yeah, without Tesla EVs would still be a non-thing.

No, it actually has little servos that move the blades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MhnbnBf0UY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McPhearson posted:

Haha that's the dumbest poo poo ever. The vents are right loving there!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

McPhearson posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to do that same motion, but with my finger on the vent?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

McPhearson posted:

I'm amazed that that's standard equipment as far as I can tell

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Think of all the engineering hours that went into such a loving useless thing instead of literally anything else

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

McPhearson posted:

That's spectacularly dumb. It's perfect as tech satire.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha that's the dumbest poo poo ever. The vents are right loving there!

I’m pretty sure that is so the vent position is stored in the driver profile so you don’t have to readjust them every time someone else drives the car. If you want to offer that feature doing the screen setting is probably a lot cheaper and more reliable than making it where you can make manual adjustments to servo operated vents and position sensors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s what I figure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah yes, because that is what i, a normal human being, desire: always the same level of airflow at exactly the same place on my body at all times. when i get in the car i want those vents at exactly the same fuckin place down to the millimeter regardless of ambient temperature or what i'm wearing or how i feel that day. hell yes. saving valuable milliseconds here that i can use for my important business job. i am a master of the universe

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the model 3 air vent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8k3g59GHs&t=154s

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

ah yes, because that is what i, a normal human being, desire: always the same level of airflow at exactly the same place on my body at all times. when i get in the car i want those vents at exactly the same fuckin place down to the millimeter regardless of ambient temperature or what i'm wearing or how i feel that day. hell yes. saving valuable milliseconds here that i can use for my important business job. i am a master of the universe

The bay area does crazy things to people

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You meant Stuttgart, right. And yes it does.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

That's spectacularly dumb. It's perfect as tech satire.

You've heard of Porsche, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

To be honest I haven’t moved my air vents since I bought my car so it might be a nice feature if you share a car frequently? With most luxury features in cars we are kind of getting to the point where car designers just say gently caress it, throw it in there. I don’t think anyone was really wanting door puddle lights but those seem standard now on luxury cars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are they really that retarded? I've never even driven one. I guess I might be falling for the stereotypical German engineering ideals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just don't get how vent profiles are useful in anyway. Even if you share a vehicle and the person you share a car with has their vent in a different location, can't that be solved with a literal flick of a finger?

• Locked thread