Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Von Linus posted:

Why did they turn down Steen?

She was one of the panellists on the Claire Byrne debate last week and RTE said they wanted to cast as wide a net as possible for different voices - the NO side are harrumphing cause Dr Boylan who was on the Yes side on Claire Byrne debate had previously appeared on the Late Late show quasi debate.

The fact the Byrne debate was an absolute poo poo show should probably have been a sign to RTE that they should probably avoid a repeat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

On the subject of the socio-economic reason for travel, does anyone know if what they were saying was true about the Commission report citing that as the main reason for travel?

https://twitter.com/JOBrien_SF/status/999032420858023937

As far as I remember that was largely the jist of submissions to the committee and the citizens assembly, and I would remind people that the citizens assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of allowing termination on socioeconomic grounds after hearing submissions - with the committee deciding they didn't need to make that call as the 12 week limit already agreed on to cover cases of rape was sufficient.

Of course most of that is conjectural as the vast majority are under the much debated (and misrepresented) ground c which allows for terminations where "the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk to the life of the pregnant woman, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated".

Theres been some p duplicitous commenting that the proposed "serious risk" to the health of the mother is equivalent to ground c, when it isn't and is in fact more in line with NIs abortion laws that also preclude terminations under ground c and anyone with a passing knowledge of our abortion laws will tell you "serious risk" is a pretty hard test that hardly opens the floodgates

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

kustomkarkommando posted:

She was one of the panellists on the Claire Byrne debate last week and RTE said they wanted to cast as wide a net as possible for different voices - the NO side are harrumphing cause Dr Boylan who was on the Yes side on Claire Byrne debate had previously appeared on the Late Late show quasi debate.

The fact the Byrne debate was an absolute poo poo show should probably have been a sign to RTE that they should probably avoid a repeat...

Ah cool. I thought maybe she threw a fit on the Claire Byrne one, I didn't watch that, watched PT last night though.

Standish
May 21, 2001

...well that's my mind changed

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The creator of that is definitely both reasonable and sane.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Some anti-abortion guy once argued on the radio here that having a baby, regardless of circumstances, is like winning the lottery. I couldn't help but think it's the Shirley Jackson kind if lottery.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Standish posted:

...well that's my mind changed

I went to a school with a J Clerkin.
I hope this is him.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I went to a school with a J Clerkin.
I hope this is him.

Google the address on that flyer. Some interesting results.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I had an earlier one in that series saved from a while ago...

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
"I'm Most Famous Yes-Voter." - Adolf Hitler

Also who would attach "yes voters killed the jews" to something with their information on it?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

John Clerkin.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Chairman of the Child Protection Society which definitely has other members

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't understand why the IT continue to publish letters by that guy. He's quite obviously a crank.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

FYI

https://twitter.com/BiddyEarly/status/999564464650375168?s=20

Still won't get the full results to early Saturday afternoon though

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

FYI

https://twitter.com/BiddyEarly/status/999564464650375168?s=20

Still won't get the full results to early Saturday afternoon though

The trend will hopefully be obvious by that point. THere's 118000 new voters registering for the referendum, apparently. Got to think that leans heavily to yes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/999382297517404160

The electorate in 2015 was 3,221,681, so yeah about 100,000 new voter registrations since then. Of course, there are probably a number of deceased people on the register also. Assuming turnout of about 60%, there should be roughly 2m ballots.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm more thinking a turnout in the low to mid 50's

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It was 60% in 2015, I don't see why it would be lower this time. It's a fairly similarly contentious issue.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

It was 60% in 2015, I don't see why it would be lower this time. It's a fairly similarly contentious issue.

There was about a 9% difference between the Claire Byrne debate on same sex marriage and abortion in terms of viewing figures (both airing about 10 days out from voting day) and I have a general feeling that although mobilisation is high its gonna be a hard push to match 2015 turnout, which in itself was v high for a referendum.

I mean mid 50s is comparably p high - if it does push to 60 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So should I dump all these coathanger shares I have?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

There was about a 9% difference between the Claire Byrne debate on same sex marriage and abortion in terms of viewing figures (both airing about 10 days out from voting day)

I think that's a pretty bollocks metric tbh mate. Although it can be instructive inasmuch as it probably indicates people being sick of this debate, which is a loose proxy for voter enthusiasm.

happyhippy posted:

So should I dump all these coathanger shares I have?

:chloe:

e:

https://twitter.com/Reservoirfrogs_/status/999599511646494720

lmao

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2018

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My brain hurts from trying to parse this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There was about a 9% difference between the Claire Byrne debate on same sex marriage and abortion in terms of viewing figures (both airing about 10 days out from voting day) and I have a general feeling that although mobilisation is high its gonna be a hard push to match 2015 turnout, which in itself was v high for a referendum.

I mean mid 50s is comparably p high - if it does push to 60 I'll be pleasantly surprised.
That could simply mean that people are sick of debates, or have effectively made up their minds already.

I agree that 60% is high, but marriage equality/abortion are social issues which get people out to the polls, while things like European Treaties or Judicial courts don't have the same attraction.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Go votail you free state bastards ye

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My polling station didn’t ask me for ID so I made them ask me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mine asked me for ID.

The wallet inspector was also there.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Took the afternoon off so I could vote and avoid work. Cautiously optimistic, which is how I felt about the american election so gently caress knows.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/oceanclub/status/999910972352483328?s=21

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

God I hope he does

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope the Iona lot follow him.

Gotta win this thing first though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

We can always hope Breda O'Brien collapses into a self righteous black hole of moral outrage

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/999917238353215488

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/abortion-vote-early-indications-show-high-turnout-rate-1.3508248

quote:

Early reports indicate a strong turnout rate during the first hours of voting in the abortion referendum in which 3.3 million citizens are registered to vote.

Initial figures from a number of polling stations show a stronger turnout than at the same time of day during the marriage equality referendum.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Fine I'll owe all you a pint.

Caveat: you have to willingly go to Derry to claim your pint

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Do they accept Euro in Free Derry?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Do they accept Euro in Free Derry?

Only punts - well have none of that neo liberal anti-national sovereignty big bank loving capitalism in these parts.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fine I'll owe all you a pint.

Caveat: you have to willingly go to Derry to claim your pint

No

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good luck Ireland. Do the right thing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

forkboy84 posted:

Good luck Ireland. Do the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Voted just now. Saw a bible in my polling booth lol.

• Locked thread