Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prisoner of waffles posted:

my half-assed guess: they want to invest in korean industry and there's essentially 0 way to do that without directly or indirectly investing in / betting on chaebol?

sometimes it is better to just admit your limitations

not all things can be invested in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Helicity posted:

most python devs i know dont give a poo poo about security or performance, so i dont see the problem with using python 2 forever

it’s worse than 3 and its library support is decaying proportionally to mass adoption of python 3

also it’s not the latest so many are just upset

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Comedy option: use Perl

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Helicity posted:

most devs i know dont give a poo poo about security or performance

fixed

anyway, I have a hard time getting excited about the py2 to py3 thing.

I mean, the handling of it has not been ideal, but on the other hand its likely companies with lots of money and developers who feel they have to be on py2 will come up with a fork that continues to be patched or some other sort of solution....and I have hard time getting excited about the problems big companies are having.

if its something small, then its not a big deal to migrate to python 3

if its big and you or your company does not have the resources for the migration, you can ride on the coattails of whatever the big companies are doing

granted, there's a window in the range of possibilities where all the big companies say "gently caress it" and migrate to python 3 or do something thats kept in-house or some other thing that doesn't help the little guy with big un-migratable projects. but i'm not going to get excited about that until it happens

(ok i won't get excited about it then either because lol getting excited at this stupid poo poo)

(also, i feel like the python org learned a lot from the py3 debacle and any future big changes like that will be handled better)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
if you want a py3 horror story that's actually relevant, look no further than mercurial. it took multiple years for the test runner to even start up, because of the amount of baggage involved in the port, and that's after multiple custom source code formatter tools were written to add b'' prefixes, etc. to various things.

mercurial is a good example of what should be a shoe-in fit for python: a moderately high level system-level tool that deals with files and networking. hg basically has to do undo the damage of py3's unicode model in a file they call "pycompat.py": https://www.mercurial-scm.org/repo/hg/file/tip/mercurial/pycompat.py which implements a py2 str-alike

notable ridiculous things, which i have talked about at length before include:

python 3's developers decided that filenames and command line arguments should be unicode, because they are unicode on windows. but they aren't unicode on windows, they're UCS-2, and filenames can contain invalid or unpaired surrogates. last i tried, this basically caused python to emit an exception when calling os.listdir() if it contained a file with an unpaired surrogate. i don't know if they've since fixed that. but mercurial needs the original *bytes* of filenames, since that's part of the repo format and the wire protocol, and python unhelpfully makes that hard. I believe you can get bytes filenames if you call os.listdir with a bytestring path, which is just this weird overloading convention thing that makes no sense as a concept, since bytes are supposed to be meaningless by definition! command line arguments are a different variation of the same topic, but related since filenames are often passed on the command line.

i still think if you're handed a file object, you might not be able to do f.read().split('\n') safely, since the file object might secretly be in 'bytes' mode, and bytestrings don't have a split method, and the only way to detect whether you're in bytes mode is the incredibly clunky f.read(0) == b''.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

(also, i feel like the python org learned a lot from the py3 debacle and any future big changes like that will be handled better)

my favorite so far was "guido doesn't like the concept of 3.10 as a version number so after 3.9 we'll go to python 4 with no breaking changes". i don't know if they thought it through at all because /usr/bin/python4 is kind of a huge change unless they're going to have /usr/bin/python3 which is actually python 4.

https://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html#comment-1547343622

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

my favorite so far was "guido doesn't like the concept of 3.10 as a version number so after 3.9 we'll go to python 4 with no breaking changes". i don't know if they thought it through at all because /usr/bin/python4 is kind of a huge change unless they're going to have /usr/bin/python3 which is actually python 4.

https://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html#comment-1547343622

i already have separate /usr/bin/python3.4 and /usr/bin/python3.5 on my pc

this may work better than we imagine only because python was pre-emptively stupid for us?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

hilarious things

yeah i agree thats all hilarious but i think its a different sort of hilariousness.

(but you might not have been saying it was the same and just pointing out other hilarious things)

Suspicious Dish posted:

im not sure this means much

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wait that very blog post you linked says that subsequent discussions on python-dev concluded that the release after 3.9 will be 3.10 as is right and proper

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
til: guido is 62yo

dude aged like an asian person, wtf

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah with all the "sabotage" talk i thought there was something deliberately introduced into 2 that broke things with some flimsy 3 justification, not some weird euphemism for "they didn't make it trivial to port 2 to 3" which seems to be the core complaint?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qhat posted:

Comedy option: use Perl

alive and well. It does what it's intended to do.

That being said, i'm as much instructor as i am script kiddie these days, so I do things in py or ruby so these kids can have some takeaway knowledge. i'm fully aware that perl chops are only worth money when somebody needs a dick to stick in some legacy peanut butter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the most beautiful thing to me was being shown "the master VCL" which is what controls the baseline operation of our Varnish, and.....it's got huge blocks of ASM. Nothing else is fast enough

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I did a lot of heavy lifting in Perl in my old job, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I can't really ever see myself using it over python3 nowadays though.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

I did a lot of heavy lifting in Perl in my old job, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
this is what I used to say too, until I talked to the guy who ended up maintaining my Perl code

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

yeah with all the "sabotage" talk i thought there was something deliberately introduced into 2 that broke things with some flimsy 3 justification, not some weird euphemism for "they didn't make it trivial to port 2 to 3" which seems to be the core complaint?

they want python 2 to go away irrespective of any other stakeholders' feelings on the matter. because python 2 offends their loving ~aesthetics~ or whatever.

there are interested parties who, surprisingly enough, do in fact want python 2 to continue, so that "2.8" fork is now called "tauthon" apparently.

i'm not opposed to people making breaking changes as long as they are reasonably infrequent, but the key condition there is that those who inflict breaking changes upon the world do not get to set the timetable. c#, java, react are all projects that understand this. linux poo poo, with the honorable exception of the actual kernel, do not; see python, gtk for the most egregious examples.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Thermopyle posted:

if its big and you or your company does not have the resources for the migration, you can ride on the coattails of whatever the big companies are doing

The big problem is that it's not easily migratable because we use a large number of libraries to do some quite low-level things with coroutines and asyncio and such, and some of those haven't been updated to python3 yet, or possibly never will be. There might be alternatives but that's the whole point, fixing it is a bunch of work

We do that because it's a reasonably fast web interface for an embedded device which can support a number of different protocols with little work, pretty much everything that's used on web including SOAP and CORBA (IoT :lol:). I did not decide any of that

I also write the whole stack underneath including C/C++ applications, kernel drivers and firmware. The ones that aren't outsourced anyway

VVVVV
also that, we only move kernel when we really have to. Still better than some of the devices which we resell which run 2.6.17 or something (thank god for free electrons bootlin. on a semi-related note the word free is copyrighted in France (LWN link) apparently)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 23, 2018

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

they want python 2 to go away irrespective of any other stakeholders' feelings on the matter. because python 2 offends their loving ~aesthetics~ or whatever.

there are interested parties who, surprisingly enough, do in fact want python 2 to continue, so that "2.8" fork is now called "tauthon" apparently.

i'm not opposed to people making breaking changes as long as they are reasonably infrequent, but the key condition there is that those who inflict breaking changes upon the world do not get to set the timetable. c#, java, react are all projects that understand this. linux poo poo, with the honorable exception of the actual kernel, do not; see python, gtk for the most egregious examples.

The kernel breaks modules all the time, I mean if you consider recompiling poo poo all time as stable then yeah but binary compatibility is not a thing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

alive and well. It does what it's intended to do.
it was intended to generate awk reports over multiple files lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i give zero fucks about ruby vs python vs perl. they're all fine, and they're all garbage, and for the same reasons

anyone who has a strong opinion about one of those being better or worse than the other two is someone whose opinions i care less about in the future

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

it was intended to generate awk reports over multiple files lol

perl does this very well

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Suspicious Dish posted:

I kind of like Python 3, but this is totally ridiculous. Well, I guess it just means I won't like Python 4.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl does this very well
yeah but it doesn't really describe most extant uses of perl

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm fully aware that perl chops are only worth money when somebody needs a dick to stick in some legacy peanut butter

pm me the rest of this extended metaphor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prisoner of waffles posted:

pm me the rest of this extended metaphor

it gets really bad when they start making sandwiches

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i still think if you're handed a file object, you might not be able to do f.read().split('\n') safely, since the file object might secretly be in 'bytes' mode, and bytestrings don't have a split method, and the only way to detect whether you're in bytes mode is the incredibly clunky f.read(0) == b''.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#bytes.split

That said, I think you are still right because you would need to call f.read().split(b'\n') for the bytes and f.read().split('\n') for the str. And the criticism that file paths should be considered opaque bytes is 100% accurate IMO.

e: I think Rust gets this right, by having separate types for unicode strings (String), platform-specific strings (OsString), and paths (Path, which is a wrapper around OsString). The three types can all be converted to each other simply enough, but you are forced to explicitly handle cases where that conversion fails.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 23, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Athas posted:

I kind of like Python 3, but this is totally ridiculous. Well, I guess it just means I won't like Python 4.

they're not doing what suspicious dish claims there. at one point Guido said that, but then they thought about it and decided its a bad idea. so, no the version after 3.9 is not 4.0, it's 3.10

(at least thats what is claimed at that link)

so yes Guido has bad ideas, but no theyre not following this particular bad idea

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i find to find the mailing list thread where it was discussed and shot down (because i remember hearing about it much more recently than that), but got somewhat lost in the giant thread about using bytes for file paths. i didn't even mean to do that it just appeared. guess bad ideas are forever.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2014-August/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

i thought you were right because I would've sworn I heard about it more recently than 4 years ago too, but as far as i could find its 3.10 after 3.9

i've googled across more recent discussions saying 4.0 was after 3.9 but they're all just quoting old stuff that is apparently not true anymore

i guess we'll see!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

im surprised no one mentioned the big announcement weve all been waiting for:

http://micronaut.io/announcement.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah me too. stay safe tef it sucks.

that said yes, suing your employer is a last ditch effort that often isn't worth it, but you really cannot go wrong with getting legal advice even if it's "this is a long and lovely road"

yep

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

folks do we have any news about PL/I? I hear it’s an up and coming plang

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Luigi Thirty posted:

folks do we have any news about PL/I? I hear it’s an up and coming plang

you joke but i know at least one person from work who writes pl/x as part of their day job

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doesn't seem too bad a life really. old and clunky, but more sensible than a lot of stuff one can end up having to code in

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
One of my colleagues is the about the only PL/I programmer in the country not already employed by a bank (the only people who still use PL/I), so whenever they need to perform external audits for whatever reason, he makes bank.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

you joke but i know at least one person from work who writes pl/x as part of their day job

please tell me pl/x is pl/i with xml syntax

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

please tell me pl/x is pl/i with xml syntax

nah the x means cross platform

as in i5/os and z/os lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost