Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Seiyal posted:

Speaking of, I'm getting the itch to replay this again but I've never owned the cart for it. I've also kind of regretted not picking up Radiant Historia as well but it seems I have a dilemma here. There's remakes out for both, correct? I can get both of the originals in a nearby store but is there a reason to try for the remakes over those instead?

Also, a bit of a random question but once EO6(?) comes out, that's the last confirmed ATLUS game for 3DS, correct? (unless e3 has some stuff up its sleeves)

The Radiant Historia remake isn’t worth it imo, all of the new content it adds is bad and it even fucks up the original game content by rebalancing it to be grindier. Go for the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

The Radiant Historia remake isn’t worth it imo, all of the new content it adds is bad and it even fucks up the original game content by rebalancing it to be grindier. Go for the original

The first parts subjective (though I disagree) but the second part is flat wrong. The new one is not grindy at all and has a special area for super speedy leveling if you really want that.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I wasn’t even talking about the leveling, more about the fact that they lowered the amount of money you get from enemies and increased the prices in all the shops. And the money you get from the new sidequests do not quite make up for it.

Also lol if you enjoy (endgame RH spoilers) every single villain in the game getting a redemption arc that clashes horribly with the existing writing, as well as the one villain that did originally get a sort of redemption scene being given a new, worse one.

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 21, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol indeed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

having no money ever was annoying although id rather stop playing a game then grind so i can say at the very least its not necessary.

very annoying though. especially since youll never have mana crystals meaning a death is a guaranteed reload with no option to try

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It makes me sad that Nintendo shut down public streetpass relays. They could have least kept them up until they stopped publishing games on the system.:smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How many of those relays were owned by Nintendo? Weren't most of them at McDonald's and such? So if anything, McDonald's would be the ones who want to free up their Wi-fi routers.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Nothing was "owned" by anyone at a McDonalds (or Starbucks), it is/was entirely on Nintendo's side, along the lines of:

3DS: "I'm connecting through an AP named Blah with a MAC of X:Y:Z, and I can talk to Nintendo.com, so I'm online!"

Nintendo.com: "Blah and X:Y:Z? Okay, the last 3DS that was connected to that was this one, here's your info."

3DS: "Sweet, later"

This is how the homebrew streetpass stuff worked, everyone who spoofed with the same AP/Mac got to trade streetpass crap with each other, it just needed an AP name that was known to Nintendo.com as "an AP that should be serving up streetpass content".

general chaos
May 20, 2001
drat, so is homepass gone too?

I guess I'll never finish those streetpass games.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

general chaos posted:

I haven't tried to spin one up recently but yeah, everything online indicates homepass died the instant they shut down the streetpass relays last month.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

general chaos posted:

I live in hope that they'll uncap the steps/coins.
If they don't, as soon as official support goes away, I'll hack the thing and install one of those "push button, get 300 coins" homebrews.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm 80% sure I saw a homebrew that uncaps the coins per day too. Unless it lets me mass-buy the puzzle pieces though, lol nope

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would they shut one of the features down when they are still actively making systems and games? This does not make sense.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would they shut one of the features down when they are still actively making systems and games? This does not make sense.

I wonder how many announcements we’ll get at E3. I don’t expect anything huge but another game in Link Between Worlds’ engine would be nice.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sunsetting/deprioritizing social features that don't match up with Nintendo's current vision for the brand seems to be their M.O., if I had to guess

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NinjaDebugger posted:

The remake of Strange Journey adds a metric fuckton of QoL improvements and a bit of bonus content. Do not, under any circumstances, get the old version, unless you are a glutton for tedium.
Out of curiosity, what kind of QoL stuff are we talking about here?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never used streetpass or whatever and I don't really know what tangible benefits it gives. Looking up the coins, apparently they give you things in games I've never heard of besides Link Between Worlds. And if I wanted to use that feature, I'd just add 300 coins or whatever using one of the several apps that does it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Animal Crossing had the best use of streetpass. It was really cool to see a little neighborhood pop up of houses made by other people you walked by.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Like how one of the hardcoded icons on the 3ds homescreen that you can't remove now links to a permanent "this service has been discontinued" message? :iiam:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

They still make games that use the coins?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Like how one of the hardcoded icons on the 3ds homescreen that you can't remove now links to a permanent "this service has been discontinued" message? :iiam:

:randvince:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah early last month I could no longer use the homepass which I only set up in March. But I managed to beat a bunch of the streetpass games finally so that was nice at least.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I could understand them not removing Miiverse from the Wii U menu since it was connected to so much with that system but it’s really weird they didn’t do it on 3DS, especially with a new model launching after the announcement that Miiverse was dying.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Streetpass is awesome.

e: Strange Journey finally arrived yesterday, started playing it last night and holy poo poo the intro is long. I'm almost 2 hours in and have only just recruited the Pixie it gives you at the start.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waltzing Along posted:

They're not killing streetpass altogether, just the relay stations at Mcdonald or whatever, presumably because there's money involved and they don't feel like re-upping the deal.

Stereoscopic 3D's been pretty much dead for a while as well, although they are making a big deal about it being part of the Captain Toad port.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE announced some 3DS stuff for Europe, both out June 29:

-Animal Crossing New Lead, DKC Returns and Mario Maker 3DS are all hitting Nintendo Selects, new price €19,99 / £15.99

-two New 2DS bundles (black/lime green with Mario Kart 7 pre-installed, white/lavender with Tomodachi Life pre-installed)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope the Luigi’s Mansion port has 3D. It would be weird if it didn’t since it was actually planned to be in stereoscopic 3D even on GameCube.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Seems likely

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really hope the Luigi’s Mansion port has 3D. It would be weird if it didn’t since it was actually planned to be in stereoscopic 3D even on GameCube.

It's almost certainly built on the same engine as the sequel, so they'd have to actually remove the 3D on-purpose.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's almost certainly built on the same engine as the sequel, so they'd have to actually remove the 3D on-purpose.

The Superstar Saga remake was obviously built on the same engine as Dream Team/Paper Jam but it still didn’t have 3D when those did.:(

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Superstar Saga remake was obviously built on the same engine as Dream Team/Paper Jam but it still didn’t have 3D when those did.:(

There is an illusion here though. I believe the environments in Superstar Saga DX are literally 2D drawn sprite/texturework, while the ones in Dream Team/Paper Jam are modelled 3D

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know if it was mentioned but the team handling the Luigi's Mansion remake is Grezzo, the studio that did the N64 Zelda remakes and Ever Oasis.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spellman posted:

There is an illusion here though. I believe the environments in Superstar Saga DX are literally 2D drawn sprite/texturework, while the ones in Dream Team/Paper Jam are modelled 3D

The paper jam/dream team sprites are 2d pixel art too, just really hi-res with a depthmap and a lot of angles

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Any tips for Bravely Second? I never played Default

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

screaden posted:

Any tips for Bravely Second? I never played Default
Don't be afraid to experiment with different jobs. Once you level them up a bit you can start combining abilities to do some very interesting things.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would also recommend playing Bravely Default because it is a good game and more Edea improves one's quality of life. Mrgrgr!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I would also recommend playing Bravely Default because it is a good game and more Edea improves one's quality of life. Mrgrgr!

:emptyquote:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Alliance Alive is a decent pick for a newer RPG, if you're not into the Atlus-made games.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
2nding Bravely games and Alliance Alive. The awakening skill progression is cool in AA. It took a while to get used to the stats\positions \formations but the game difficulty is gentle enough you can still progress while learning.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbqh I liked BD more than I liked BS, despite the "backtracking" stuff. They're both good mechanically but BS felt like the second season of a tv show that was only expecting one season and was contractually obligated to keep all the first season's characters involved in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bravely Default has a surprisingly rich and rewarding in-game universe and character dynamics for both your allies and enemies, if you're the type of dork that lets yourself get really into that.

I am

I almost cried at certain end points.

It helps that the battle engine and job systems are really robust too.