Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kawabata posted:

your avatar also looks terrible to me for the same reason

You're on notice, pal. Watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

That's hardly a SFV-only thing, the same applies to e.g. DBFZ. It's not really possible to tell players and playstyles apart in that game either, with the exception of Go1 because he's the only one who can block.

That's true, but I think it's most apparent to me and other people in SFV, since SF4 is by far the fighting game I've watched the most amount of tournament matches of. And thus I'm able to make more direct comparisons to it. Like I remember how differently Infiltration's Akuma and Tokido's Akuma played and I wish I could see that range of playstyle with a single character in this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Double Bill posted:

That's hardly a SFV-only thing, the same applies to e.g. DBFZ. It's not really possible to tell players and playstyles apart in that game either, with the exception of Go1 because he's the only one who can block.

Well DBFZ also isn't a good game so this isn't a solid defense

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

:agreed:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In Training posted:

I know but for some reason people can't stop dickriding that game while making GBS threads on this one even though they're equally mediocre.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It looks good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not a die hard competitive fg player since I mostly look for solo play in them but why is dbfz considered bad? I love everything about dbz and the art style was amazing but I abandoned it real quick. I don’t know what it was about it. Just didn’t pull me in.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Charles De Mar posted:

that's not true at all. compare some guy like danslip to other cammy players, or k-brad to kazunoko. you can also go back and watch some videos of when daigo first picked up guile, for the longest time he didn't even do combos.

edit: or fuudo's mika and du's?

Yeah there's plenty of other examples too. It's simply not true that you can't tell who's using the character though tbh there are some that have less options to close the distance (ie Zangief, etc)/ defend themselves and in that case yeah Itabashi will be identical to Snake Eyez or whatever. But this happens in other fgs as well and it happened in SF4. Again, I can definitely tell Daigo's Ryu (even now) from Justfog/Sasori/AMKidd but people here keep saying all Ryus play the same.

I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion but sometimes we forget how low SA population is now, meaning every subforum is really just 4-5 overexcited/disgruntled posters that sometimes have very, very personal opinions about things that get constantly reinforced by the thread. As others have stated some of the criticism is for 2016 post-release stuff that either got fixed or is so minimal that one cares about it anymore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not a die hard competitive fg player since I mostly look for solo play in them but why is dbfz considered bad? I love everything about dbz and the art style was amazing but I abandoned it real quick. I don’t know what it was about it. Just didn’t pull me in.

Its beautiful but kind of shallow and boring. It's a drat fine base for a game that they will presumably make better with paid balance patches and revisions as usual but it will be a while before I personally care again about playing it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Matches take forever. Only a few characters are legit good. The defensive side of gameplay is very underdeveloped. Player matches are annoying to set up and netcode not great.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just gonna post in here that playing SF V is fun imo.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

In Training posted:

Its beautiful but kind of shallow and boring. It's a drat fine base for a game that they will presumably make better with paid balance patches and revisions as usual but it will be a while before I personally care again about playing it.

Is it as bad as people say balance wise? This is the criticism I see thrown around more often. I only have about 10 hours in DBZ (played locally with equally scrubbish friends) so I have no idea.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In Training posted:

Yeah that’s what I figured. I’ve been playing fighting games forever but nowhere near well enough to figure out the depth/balance of them. DBFZ really felt off in some way to me. Like it was loving awesome and beautiful on the surface but had some blandness under that layer. :shrug:

I should have used that money on Xenoverse 2 for my goku fix

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ironically DBFZ has almost the same gameplay problems that SFV does, but it actually looks great and has a good story mode so people don't bitch about it as much.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SFV looks great, DBFZ looks like anime

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Charles De Mar posted:

that's not true at all. compare some guy like danslip to other cammy players, or k-brad to kazunoko. you can also go back and watch some videos of when daigo first picked up guile, for the longest time he didn't even do combos.

edit: or fuudo's mika and du's?

Not doing combos isn't an appreciable style difference.

Also not that I watch any of this boring garbage anymore--the last full final set I watched was at EVO 2017 and it was utterly embarrassing how the Capcom sheep got hype after "clutch" poo poo like Tokido doing a reversal DP when that same weekend featured finals from Guilty Gear, Tekken, and KOF that were utterly mindblowing and featured poo poo that made SFV look like the Fisher-Price game it is.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

Ironically DBFZ has almost the same gameplay problems that SFV does, but it actually looks great and has a good story mode so people don't bitch about it as much.

The visual fidelity of DBFZ is great but the character designs are extremely bland. Which isn't really surprising considering DB is a cartoon for children, so the characters have to be appropriately simple. I just don't think it makes a visually exciting fighting game cast.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
People are probably harder on SFV than on DBFZ because SFIV was good and popular. DBFZ doesn't have an obvious immediate predecessor to compare it negatively to.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still blows my mind that the release of SFV made people magically start thinking SFIV was good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone who is still playing the game, Fighterz is a lot of fun, but holy poo poo is it boring playing that game once you get to a certain point. All of the visual flair, nods to DBZ, and faithfulness to the characters is super cool and nice, but fighting the same dudes who approach neutral the same god drat way and your only solution when being stuffed into a corner is to block for five years on their unending offense where you get very few spots to stuff them out is tiresome and gets old. I still think the game is a lot of fun and enjoy playing it with people in the discord and friends irl, but if I cannot imagine going to a tournament for the game the way it is now. Especially after playing Xrd again recently, a game where you actually interact with your opponent and have very individualized characters that all feel very unique.

The comparisons to SFV are apt in that you have very canned combo routes and are incredibly limited and how to innovate them with incredibly samey looking high level play, but I would definitely argue the game got a lot more good will because of how beautiful it is and the fact if nothing else it at least feels fun to press buttons in it and it shows a lot of its character personality in a ton of ways, whereas SFV is part of a franchise that has had a company that's progressively pissed off its fans and created one of the most sterile fighting games in history in every way it can possibly be.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I should have used that money on Xenoverse 2 for my goku fix

As someone who played a decent bit of Xenoverse 2, you might not wanna do that tbh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^^^why not? Worse than the first one?

Appreciate the info btw everyone

Shiki Dan posted:

Man I’m still bummed SFV got gently caress all for single player. I didn’t even bother with the new story thing they added because :shrug: too late.

Is it worth it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Best thing about SFV is how it made me discover Tekken 7 in search of an actual good fighter to replace SF4.

In Training posted:

Also :agreed:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man I’m still bummed SFV got gently caress all for single player. I didn’t even bother with the new story thing they added because :shrug: too late.
Is it worth it?

Watch cutscenes on the youtubes if you're into the Street Fighter lore, or whatever, they're quite enjoyable from that perspective but actually playing the story mode isn't worthwhile at all.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mango sentinel posted:

Still blows my mind that the release of SFV made people magically start thinking SFIV was good

Right?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

insanityv2 posted:

People are probably harder on SFV than on DBFZ because SFIV was good and popular. DBFZ doesn't have an obvious immediate predecessor to compare it negatively to.

this is definitely it for some people. but you could compare it to gg, to which it pales in comparison

to expand on the sf series and why purple are hard on it, sf is the series that sets standards for the genre.

for example, when killer instinct released working rollback netcode nobody cared. when capcom released rollback netcode with sfv, it was a big deal. and when it was really poorly implemented and runs like poo poo it becomes an excuse not to do it in the future for other games. maybe we would have rollback on mbaacc on steam if not for sfv.

when other games tried dlc season models or packs, or having a shockingly light release feature list, they got panned. sc5 was lambasted for it's poor sp options on release. gems and the sfxt half the cast as dlc model was blasted similarly.

sfv does this poo poo, people grumble, accept they have "no choice" and purchase it. other companies will follow suit. from game design decisions to business models, capcom leads the pack with it's main line sf franchise. others see what works and follow the leader. sf4s impact is still reverberating into so many new games including sfv, and sfv will to the same thing

people want sf to be good. I don't like sfv and I want it to be good, because I want the games I like in sfs huge sphere of influence to be good.

edit to clarify, people look at what works and what doesn't from sfv and draw from that. and sfv shouldn't be a role model

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 23, 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

insanityv2 posted:

Fighterz also had the huge benefit of being compared to marvel infinite

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I enjoy the game for what it is and hope they improve it in future.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

darealkooky posted:

in the defense of these scrooge companies, they don't have the unlimited black holes of money known as "idolmaster" and "gundam" to draw from that lets them fund games without shaking their customers down for quarters

Monster Hunter sold like a billion copies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Appreciate the info btw everyone

Is it worth it?

There were 20-30 mins of loads in a 3 hr game pn console last time i played it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you enjoyed the first one you might still like it but it has a lot of the same gameplay loop just with less rng on the extra battles happening. It also has a ridiculous dearth of DLC to make it through and idk, that game with as much content as it has with the gameplay it does gets incredibly boring and samey. If you ever do online fights that's a miserable hell in and of its own right too.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Real hurthling! posted:

There were 20-30 mins of loads in a 3 hr game pn console last time i played it
on PC, in a battle lounge, I can sit in a ftdeath with people forever with maybe 10% of the time being actual load times.

Training mode with auto-accept matches takes maybe 30 seconds to connect and load the match with incoming challengers.

Beats me, dude, i think the game operates just fine compared to how SF4 handled lobbies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sestze posted:

on PC, in a battle lounge, I can sit in a ftdeath with people forever with maybe 10% of the time being actual load times.

Training mode with auto-accept matches takes maybe 30 seconds to connect and load the match with incoming challengers.

Beats me, dude, i think the game operates just fine compared to how SF4 handled lobbies.

Wtf does this have to do with story mode?

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Not doing combos isn't an appreciable style difference.

Also not that I watch any of this boring garbage anymore--the last full final set I watched was at EVO 2017 and it was utterly embarrassing how the Capcom sheep got hype after "clutch" poo poo like Tokido doing a reversal DP when that same weekend featured finals from Guilty Gear, Tekken, and KOF that were utterly mindblowing and featured poo poo that made SFV look like the Fisher-Price game it is.

"there's no way to tell top players apart by playstyle*

*i don't watch top players play the game"

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

the sf5 hate on these forums is weirdly intense and specific

some of the posters' voices are also muffled, as if coming from deep within the salt mines

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'unno, I still feel 80% of SFV characters can be distilled to "dash medium poke, jump-in, fish for CC into V-Trigger combo". Pressure also feels very much not fun and neutered throw games are just a current trend that I hate.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I really enjoyed SF4 though I was nowhere near good or whatever. 5 is fun but it seems way less dynamic. Also my favorite character FANG is not getting any bones thrown his way and i can't be bothered to learn anyone else at this point.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Astrochicken posted:

I really enjoyed SF4 though I was nowhere near good or whatever. 5 is fun but it seems way less dynamic. Also my favorite character FANG is not getting any bones thrown his way and i can't be bothered to learn anyone else at this point.

You can still make top 1000 and beyond undisturbed if you 're good enough because literally no one knows that matchup well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Does any game give you points when your opponent DCs? Not sure I've ever seen that.

Pages back but

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
SF's halo effect in terms of overall influence on the genre can't be overstated so a SF game being mediocre is catastrophic where another fighting game being mediocre is just... whatever

Like I get that not everyone like SF (not just SF5, but the game in general) but it is the defacto fighting game to which all others are compared. DBFZ isn't a great game mechanically but it's the only game that realistically has a chance to capture the hearts and minds of the general populace like SF has so I'm guessing people just will it to succeed so that they get to deathride SF5

Nothing ever came close to dethroning SF4 in terms of sheer numbers when it was on top but now Tekken is close, and DBFZ has taken over at a lot of majors. DBFZ not being great doesn't preclude it from having a ton of really nice little polishes that show that the devs cared enough to make a fun/exciting game at the very least, so I guess people just want it to succeed more?

Kawabata posted:

the sf5 hate on these forums is weirdly intense and specific

some of the posters' voices are also muffled, as if coming from deep within the salt mines
Except those same posters tend to be among the better players on average and can pretty much give you an itemised breakdown of why the game is bad? It's not like a whole host of pro players haven't come out and vocally critiqued the game for the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dias posted:

I'unno, I still feel 80% of SFV characters can be distilled to "dash medium poke, jump-in, fish for CC into V-Trigger combo".

I'm not disagreeing but as a mid-tier fighting game enthusiast I can't help but feel like "I can't believe that the neutral boils down to fishing for a high impact attack that leads into a rote combo" is maybe a more widespread problem among the genre than the community is comfortable with admitting