Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Baywatch is really, really bad.

Only movie I quit watching 15 minutes in for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Medullah posted:

Only movie I quit watching 15 minutes in for 20 years.

So you haven't seen Meet the Fokkers?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Fahrenheit 451 is one hundred minutes better spent reading a book.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nate fisher posted:

I do agree it is not the greatest show ever (it is great, but it might just be the 3rd best AMC show behind Mad Men and Halt & Catch Fire)

Mad Men is a show that has ridiculously good moments but far too often just winds up meandering. The part when Campbell and Pryce fight in the boardroom might be one of my favorite things ever on television, though.

So Halt & Catch Fire is worth watching? I've caught a few minutes here and there and it just didn't grab me.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Recently saw Good Time on Netflix, favourite film I've seen in a while. An afternoon, night and morning watching repercussions of a bad decision spiral out of control. Gorgeous photography, great soundtrack (the writer was told to listen to Tangerine Dream's soundtrack for Sorcerer for inspiration), fantastic acting from mostly straight off the street people, brilliant characters blah blah.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The dear white people show is pretty great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So you haven't seen Meet the Fokkers?

I haven't! I thought Meet the Parents was good, but not great, so I had no interest in the sequel.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Timby posted:

Mad Men is a show that has ridiculously good moments but far too often just winds up meandering. The part when Campbell and Pryce fight in the boardroom might be one of my favorite things ever on television, though.

Mad Men is one of the few shows that each season is better than the previous. And for a drama, it's also one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, that Campbell and Pryce fistfight being one of those moments.

quote:

So Halt & Catch Fire is worth watching? I've caught a few minutes here and there and it just didn't grab me.

I tried. It's so dull. I think I watched season? I can't even remember if I finished the whole season it was so dull.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nihonniboku posted:

Mad Men is one of the few shows that each season is better than the previous. And for a drama, it's also one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, that Campbell and Pryce fistfight being one of those moments.

I’d agree with you if not for that last season. It drags badly until the last couple episodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm watching Cargo and it seems to another zombie movie that relies on characters doing confusingly dumb things to create drama.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lycus posted:

I'm watching Cargo and it seems to another zombie movie that relies on characters doing confusingly dumb things to create drama.

Yes, hello, welcome to every zombie movie ever made.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Only God Forgives is givin me asmr

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Timby posted:

Many people had issues with the 1st season, but the critical wave changed course to the point that by the 4th season it was one of the most critically acclaimed shows on television. If I remember correctly the biggest issue with the 1st season was the writers trying to make Joel into Don Draper 2.0. In the 2nd season they moved away from that, and in the end the show became about the 4 main characters (some of the best written women characters in recent memory). That said I loved the 1st season so I never had a problem with it. I am a sucker for tech stuff and as a 80's child I thought they achieve a prefect balance of representing the era while not relying on nostalgia. The show also had one of the most perfect final moments since Six Feet Under. If had to pick the best show of the last 5 years it would either be this or The Leftovers (which had a similar critical arch).

Hey it is all subjective of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Huh, I remember my main beef with it was that the focus was shifted from "what an exciting time to be in tech" to more personal stuff like Gordon's illness, and I left off at the end of of the 2nd season. Worth getting back into?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
If you didn't like season 2 you won't like 3 and 4. For my money season 2 is when the show really finds its feet, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

Huh, I remember my main beef with it was that the focus was shifted from "what an exciting time to be in tech" to more personal stuff like Gordon's illness, and I left off at the end of of the 2nd season. Worth getting back into?

I would say season 3 and 4 are a step up over 2, but they lean into the personal stuff still so you might not like 'em. But it's a very excellent show and season 3 in particular is :perfect:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Crosspost from GC thread, which Metropolis version to watch? Prime has the Loy Cook score, TubiTV Giorgio Moroder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last Flag Flying was real good but I really don't get why the young guy gave Steve Carrell the letter at the very end. Like, that would have been really useful and made a lot more sense to give it to him at the beginning of the movie

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I had no idea Nicholas Winding Refn had a amazon series coming out next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwG0bd7O0Fs

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Part of me hopes that Refn will keep luring people into watching his weird rear end unpleasant Danish stuff by making them think that it's gonna be like Drive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve learned my lesson.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm drawn back to Refn movies because Drive was good and Valhalla Rising was awesome.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I love Refn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sponges posted:

I love Refn

Same

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

sponges posted:

I love Refn

yeah this might be what finally convinces me to get prime

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess I might need to give Ozark a chance? I started like 30 seconds in a while back and it was so immediately cartoonish and unsubtle and eyeroll-worthy that I bounced out (he was saying some hackneyed things about money)
Similarly when I was starting House of Cards and there's something with a dead dog or something. Both shows just seemed to be shouting "WE ARE CARTOONISH + CLICHE AF".

Big Mouth is pretty solid tho and I'm glad I finally got on the trailer park boys. Tons to binge.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ozark isn't subtle about anything the entire time

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Never seen Bridge to Terabithia before. That is one of saddest movies I've ever seen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

married but discreet posted:

Part of me hopes that Refn will keep luring people into watching his weird rear end unpleasant Danish stuff by making them think that it's gonna be like Drive.

I loved Drive and I've loved everything Refn has made since so I'm ultra loving hype for Too Old To Die Young

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The trailer for Bridge to Terabithia is one of the most misleading things ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfaPvQhLLgs

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh hey, that looks like a fun little fantasy movie you can watch with the kids. Oh here's where it rips your heart out and stomps on it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lycus posted:

Oh hey, that looks like a fun little fantasy movie you can watch with the kids. Oh here's where it rips your heart out and stomps on it.

sounds like a faithful adaptation, then

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Lycus posted:

Never seen Bridge to Terabithia before. That is one of saddest movies I've ever seen.

lol i watched this a long time ago with my neice. i was in my mid twenties and she was about 9. it was taking all my strength to hold it together and not cry, but she didnt even give a poo poo. it was at that moment that i suspected that she may be a serial killer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t blame her. The average 9 year old has already had to read that terrible book in school.

What a boring, boring slog.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lycus posted:

I somehow avoided ever reading that book when I was in school and just read the movie synopsis on Wikipedia.

:stare:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

sponges posted:

I love Refn

Only God Forgives was recently added to Netflix. Other than the gorgeous, languorous visuals you'd expect from Refn, I figured he was trolling his audience a bit after Drive by making Gosling a petulant, incestuous criminal. Valhalla Rising is still my favorite of his, but I haven't seen Neon Demon yet.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t blame her. The average 9 year old has already had to read that terrible book in school.

What a boring, boring slog.

You probably didn't even like Where the Red Fern Grows :(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The trailer for Bridge to Terabithia is one of the most misleading things ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfaPvQhLLgs

I was really entertained by the fact that the fans of the book were angry because they assumed the trailer was accurate, and people who'd never read the book and went to the movie were angry because they assumed the trailer was accurate

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Only God Forgives was recently added to Netflix. Other than the gorgeous, languorous visuals you'd expect from Refn, I figured he was trolling his audience a bit after Drive by making Gosling a petulant, incestuous criminal. Valhalla Rising is still my favorite of his, but I haven't seen Neon Demon yet.

Neon Demon rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unmature posted:

Neon Demon rules

it does. like a lot.