Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Real hurthling! posted:

Wtf does this have to do with story mode?
I wasn't aware this was referring to the story mode.

I played through it once on PC. Loading times weren't bad? Not memorable at least. Story's rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Goodpart posted:

Except those same posters tend to be among the better players on average and can pretty much give you an itemised breakdown of why the game is bad? It's not like a whole host of pro players haven't come out and vocally critiqued the game for the same reasons.

I doubt all those same posters are "among the better players" and they didn't give us an itemised breakdown at all, most posts were "hurr p2 chun li boobs physics" or weird 2016 era complaints about all characters being exactly the same, or even posters not watching competitive SF5 but somehow complaining that you can't tell one pro from the others on the same main.

There are obvious reasons why this game disappointed at release and Capcom could've done a better job in more than one department. Sure, many pro players critiqued the game for the state at launch, the netcode/management of rage quitters, the 3 frames thing and the lack of defensive options leading to all out aggression being too strong, etc. Those are all things I can kind of agree with - except the 3 frames - but they don't make SF5 the worst fg ever released or DBZ the best.

But wait, the twist is that most of the posters you describe also think DBZ is worthless poo poo (I don't) so who knows!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kawabata posted:

I doubt all those same posters are "among the better players" and they didn't give us an itemised breakdown at all, most posts were "hurr p2 chun li boobs physics" or weird 2016 era complaints about all characters being exactly the same, or even posters not watching competitive SF5 but somehow complaining that you can't tell one pro from the others on the same main.

There are obvious reasons why this game disappointed at release and Capcom could've done a better job in more than one department. Sure, many pro players critiqued the game for the state at launch, the netcode/management of rage quitters, the 3 frames thing and the lack of defensive options leading to all out aggression being too strong, etc. Those are all things I can kind of agree with - except the 3 frames - but they don't make SF5 the worst fg ever released or DBZ the best.

But wait, the twist is that most of the posters you describe also think DBZ is worthless poo poo (I don't) so who knows!
we may be trying to go 14 years into the past to congregate on IRC and setting up fight lobbies for Melty Blood.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Sestze posted:

we may be trying to go 14 years into the past to congregate on IRC and setting up fight lobbies for Melty Blood.

i would play it too

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So what are your options against Zangief and Abigail as Ryu? I'm getting creamed every time I meet them. Sometimes I can goad them into whiffing so I can get a fireball or combo in, but eventually they remember they gave armor and grapple/beat me into oblivion.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Bleck posted:

I'm not disagreeing but as a mid-tier fighting game enthusiast I can't help but feel like "I can't believe that the neutral boils down to fishing for a high impact attack that leads into a rote combo" is maybe a more widespread problem among the genre than the community is comfortable with admitting
this is kinda off the mark. i see where you're coming from though, but hitconfirms and how much of a "problem" they are has to be taken in context of the game with the other mechanics in mind

in sfv its not just the "high impact attack" that goes into a combo, its that generally its a move canceled into vtrigger into a combo, then the best case is usually into a mixup into dizzy into match over.

hitconfirms arent really a big deal in most games, any game worth playing will have hitconfirms. but because of the mechanics of sfv it plays out poorly. hitconfirms have never been a "widespread problem among the genre"

Kawabata posted:

dbfz has legitimate problems but its a far cry from being worthless. i don't think most of the people in here pointing out the issues with dbfz think that it is completely without merit. at the very least, its better than sfv

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Goodpart posted:

Nothing ever came close to dethroning SF4 in terms of sheer numbers when it was on top but now Tekken is close, and DBFZ has taken over at a lot of majors. DBFZ not being great doesn't preclude it from having a ton of really nice little polishes that show that the devs cared enough to make a fun/exciting game at the very least, so I guess people just want it to succeed more?

I somehow doubt DBFZ dominating majors is going to last, considering how long and boring the average FT3 tournament set is. There's still a lot of forced hype surrounding that game, that hasn't been delivered at all.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there still any community in USF4 or expected to be in any of the 30th anniversary titles? I'm kind of going back and forth on picking up the 30th collection preorder.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Charles De Mar posted:

"there's no way to tell top players apart by playstyle*

Except I'm not only one saying that. Even top players that have won majors have said the EXACT same thing.

But keep dying on that hill.

quote:

*i don't watch top players play the game"

Why in the gently caress would I watch a boring rear end game for 2 years when it was obvious by EVO 2017 that the game was never going to be good.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Bleck posted:

I'm not disagreeing but as a mid-tier fighting game enthusiast I can't help but feel like "I can't believe that the neutral boils down to fishing for a high impact attack that leads into a rote combo" is maybe a more widespread problem among the genre than the community is comfortable with admitting
You're misreading

It's not that hitconfirms are inherently problematic: they're a fundamentally important part of fighting games. It's that SF5 gives each character one or two Good Buttons and offensive pressure boils down to hitting one of those two. No matter what the result, you're probably safe, and you're probably able to continue pressuring (sometimes with the same button) until you're out of range or the opponent v-reversals out

And to sweeten the deal, long range normals are so loving slow that they can be jumped over them like a fireball; since a lot of characters lack a quick AA normal to capitalise on late jumps so if you don't have a DP (or EX DP as the case may be) your best option is to probably jab AA, at which point they aren't punished for jumping so much as you just switched the offensive momentum having taken very little damage

That's somewhat reductive and there are variations on the theme like "the shimmy" which people pretend is somehow a new element to the fighting game genre when it's literally element 1 of the loving footsies handbook or like, i dunno, Menat in general, but like you get the point

ok so there are all the complaints people have had that are basically "lol chun's face" level of severity but when dbfz puts a mirror shine on everything it's tough to look at mika's anti-gravity tits or the patch that did nothing but remove cammy's nipples and be like "yes, this is fine"

that said pro players hate on this game routinely both privately and on the public record, and a lot simply put up with it because of the money at stake

dbfz is not worthless poo poo but it's not a great fg. it may go the same way as sf5 when the money disappears, it may not, but it's also the first of its kind, so it's hard to critique it the same way

several people in this thread (including myself) have tournament top 4 finishes to our names so it's not as if it's a bunch of uninformed r/kappa posters yelling into the echo chamber. effortposting about the issues sf5 has seems... i dunno, self evident?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kawabata posted:

the sf5 hate on these forums is weirdly intense and specific

If you payed attention to the fighting games thread much, you'd know that it definitely is not only SFV that posters here complain about. Many people complain about many various games for various reasons. A lot of times, rightly so. While there are some perceptions that make SFV's case more noteworthy (see Zand's post), the posters aren't some hivemind and are coming from various backgrounds, all coming to mostly the same conclusion: SFV feels terrible to play.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is there still any community in USF4 or expected to be in any of the 30th anniversary titles? I'm kind of going back and forth on picking up the 30th collection preorder.

For USF4, from having a friend who's recently been trying to get into that game, there's pretty much no real community afaik to keep up with it. If you go to majors, there's usually still some SF4 tournaments where some of the top players of that game will still enter, but outside of that there's not much.

30th anniversary is still anyone's guess. On the one hand it's a capcom release in tyool 2018 and thus you should not have any hope. On the other, it's being handled by the company who did Megaman Legacy collections which I hear were well done. They confirmed that they'll have rollback netcode, but we don't know if they fixed it from SFV's lovely version or not. There was a speed issue in older builds, but they fixed it in later ones.

I don't know what it'll take to get the old communities to get on these versions or not, but there's still things we don't know like: if the input lag is bad or not, how good/bad are the training mode options, are they going to be close to the arcade versions or not. Or maybe these communities are just too old (or don't want to pay money due to fightcade) to really get into a newer release for these games. The best way to get people to switch over would be if they made everything great and added new things and value to make it worth it; the ideas that they've put out so far sound nice, but it's way too hard to trust Capcom execution even if Capcom is only the publisher in this case.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The scene from mulholland drive where the guy talks about his dream about the horrible face and how he never ever wants to see that face again and then he does and he dies, but the face is sf5 ken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The scene from mulholland drive where the guy talks about his dream about the horrible face and how he never ever wants to see that face again and then he does and he dies, but the face is sf5 ken

lmfao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If i could photoshop id put alexs torso on the legs from arrival in that scene where the knees bend the wrong way

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

hahaha

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

dangerdoom volvo posted:

:hmmyes:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Kawabata posted:

You can still make top 1000 and beyond undisturbed if you 're good enough because literally no one knows that matchup well.

no doubt. it's fun ragging on people who don't know how to deal with his setups. My problem with fighting games is if I don't watch it I can end up playing like it's god of war or something. "I want to perform this combo now" Rather than focusing on what I need to in order to win this match.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Except I'm not only one saying that. Even top players that have won majors have said the EXACT same thing.

But keep dying on that hill.

Why in the gently caress would I watch a boring rear end game for 2 years when it was obvious by EVO 2017 that the game was never going to be good.

you're simultaneously whining about how you can't tell stylistic differences between pro players and admitting you don't even watch pro players, but i'm dying on some hill

gotcha

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

sfv defenders are the best. i love you guys

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zand posted:

sfv defenders are the best. i love you guys

theyre bad rear end

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heh just wait until the Kappa boys get a load of this one

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lol defending this terrible game in 2018

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Lol

Woden
May 6, 2006

Renoistic posted:

So what are your options against Zangief and Abigail as Ryu? I'm getting creamed every time I meet them. Sometimes I can goad them into whiffing so I can get a fireball or combo in, but eventually they remember they gave armor and grapple/beat me into oblivion.

Jump over Abi's slow haymakers or just cross him up and then knock him down, he has garbage wakeup options so just mix them up til they're dead. Fireballs and footsie games are just there to make him think you wont jump.

Well that's how I get rolled by Ryu's anyway.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Double Bill posted:

I somehow doubt DBFZ dominating majors is going to last, considering how long and boring the average FT3 tournament set is. There's still a lot of forced hype surrounding that game, that hasn't been delivered at all.

What in the gently caress is “forced hype”

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MechaX posted:

Mass hype times accelerated hype

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

MechaX posted:

manufactured hype

it's similar in concept to a "forced meme"

an example of forced hype on the small scale is scheduling pop off sessions during exhibition grudge matches with a security guard present. which actually happened very recently

sfxt was a prime example of forced hype, and so was very early release era sfv (a big reason why people like Mike Ross left the scene)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Can't Escape From Crossing Face

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
cody trailer was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Mnz4L-oeo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cody makes me want to play this game

But how did a convicted criminal (with multiple prison escapes on his record) get elected and voted into office as Mayor of a major American city? MY IMMERSION.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Boy Cody's face looks like it has no texture./

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ok kenny omega as cody is pretty drat cool

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Wrestlers and Metro City mayors go together like peas and carrots.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I also like that the seal says:

City of Metro City

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

But how did a convicted criminal (with multiple prison escapes on his record) get elected and voted into office as Mayor of a major American city? MY IMMERSION.

I assume you're not an American?

Look up Marion Berry.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gavok posted:

Wrestlers and Metro City mayors go together like peas and carrots.

:hai:

mango sentinel posted:

I also like that the seal says:

City of Metro City

:hai:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Turns out the voice on the phone is fellow fighting-game-enthusiast-wrestler Xavier Woods.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I knew it, the pants come with the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ROFL Octopus posted:

It's really cool when you find out Cody is like his favorite SF character ever and he mains him in every game he's in