Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fridge corn posted:

Andromeda is just a big dumb campy space opera shooter rpg idk what's not to like about it

The space opera part is terribly dull and poorly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ME Andromeda has a lot of problems, and it's clear the developers didn't care as much about it as they did the first trilogy despite stealing most of the plot points from it. I hated how they re-used the same flora and fauna across the entire galaxy. Also, no Quarians?! Terrible.

But it was worth the $8 I paid for it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Prob playing Andromeda with really sexy nude mods imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The space opera part is terribly dull and poorly written.

i did say dumb and campy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fridge corn posted:

i did say dumb and campy

Dumb and campy still implies fun. It is not even that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jesus Christ the graphics in Detroit are INSANE.

gently caress.

Like I think Cage is a massive hack fraud but by god, his team are amazing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Crows Turn Off posted:

ME Andromeda has a lot of problems, and it's clear the developers didn't care as much about it as they did the first trilogy despite stealing most of the plot points from it. I hated how they re-used the same flora and fauna across the entire galaxy. Also, no Quarians?! Terrible.

But it was worth the $8 I paid for it.

yeah i was pretty hyped for a 4th ME game because i wanted more friendly geth but nope

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress.

Eye polygons are cages fetish.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dumb and campy still implies fun. It is not even that.

dont take video games too seriously

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I thought ME gunplay felt terrible in the demo, so combine that with bad and/or so bad its campy story...no thanks.

Maybe it's just my playstyle but I played the first trilogy the same way and now it sucks so, enjoy if you can, theres infinite more games out there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Detroit reviews are out, looks solid

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/detroit-become-human

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like PS5 is at least 3 years away according to this article:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/sony-next-playstation-is-at-least-three-years-off/

Seems more plausible than the other speculations.

Three years away, so for me, probably means I'll own one in five years. And five years is longer than I've even had my PS4 so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Detroit reviews are out, looks solid

Yeah, like my last BM

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/999697642304098304

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

beep by grandpa posted:

Every movie I've been to in the last 5 years everyone going makes a push to not do 3D unless that's all that's available. How about you? The only movie I can think of where 3D added to the experience was Avatar and that was almost 10 years ago.

That's because Avatar was one of the very few movies that was properly filmed in 3D, i.e. with two physical cameras, one for each eye.

Literally 99.9% of all 3D movies are actually filmed with a single camera and then converted to 3D in post as an approximation of the effect. Why? It's incredibly expensive to film in 3D for real, so once the studios figured out it was much cheaper to get a company in India to do the conversion everyone did this. As a result the quality of 3D films declined and the experience was rubbished.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

gently caress.

The lead writer on Detroit just did an interview to make sure people knew that David Cage didn't write this one by himself. Everybody knows he's a hack, so they're trying to calm people's fears.

From the interview:

1. It’s a hugely collaborative story

Quantic Dream’s founder, David Cage, may have been central to Detroit: Become Human’s creation, but the tale of finding humanity within androids turning ‘deviant’ was a team effort.

“David was very keen on making this the most collaborative – and interactive – thing he’s ever done,” explains Adam, who previously worked as a television writer, which also included producing pilots for the BBC. “I was brought in to help him finish and elaborate on the story.

“At the same time, lots of the team pitched in. For example, the composers of the game had a huge input in working on the emotional grammar of the scene, and how the scene could be played out.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/05/23/how-detroit-become-humans-narrative-team-brought-a-world-of-androids-to-life/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bombadilillo posted:

I thought ME gunplay felt terrible in the demo, so combine that with bad and/or so bad its campy story...no thanks.

Maybe it's just my playstyle but I played the first trilogy the same way and now it sucks so, enjoy if you can, theres infinite more games out there.

It's not even campy, it's just a barebones plot that is wholly uninteresting and full of plot holes you could steer a Mako through. It also has all of one, maybe two, characters that aren't one-note or dull as dishwater.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MZ posted:

That's because Avatar was one of the very few movies that was properly filmed in 3D, i.e. with two physical cameras, one for each eye.

Literally 99.9% of all 3D movies are actually filmed with a single camera and then converted to 3D in post as an approximation of the effect. Why? It's incredibly expensive to film in 3D for real, so once the studios figured out it was much cheaper to get a company in India to do the conversion everyone did this. As a result the quality of 3D films declined and the experience was rubbished.

To this day, Jackass 3D is the only effective use of the technology I've seen.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ME:A has one of the most underwhelming introductions to any game I’ve ever played.

It’s so dull

If you can go load up ME1 and check out how much more dynamic the introductory scenes are in that, how much better the character introductions are. It's crazy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

The lead writer on Detroit just did an interview to make sure people knew that David Cage didn't write this one by himself. Everybody knows he's a hack, so they're trying to calm people's fears.

From the interview:

1. It’s a hugely collaborative story

Quantic Dream’s founder, David Cage, may have been central to Detroit: Become Human’s creation, but the tale of finding humanity within androids turning ‘deviant’ was a team effort.

“David was very keen on making this the most collaborative – and interactive – thing he’s ever done,” explains Adam, who previously worked as a television writer, which also included producing pilots for the BBC. “I was brought in to help him finish and elaborate on the story.

“At the same time, lots of the team pitched in. For example, the composers of the game had a huge input in working on the emotional grammar of the scene, and how the scene could be played out.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/05/23/how-detroit-become-humans-narrative-team-brought-a-world-of-androids-to-life/

According to Eurogamer (who are one of the only review outlets I trust) this just means it doesn't go blindingly insane in the final act or try to pull pointless non-linear narratives etc. It's still clumsy and really doesn't lend proper respect to or take advantage of the social movements it's aping.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Warrior posted:

If you can go load up ME1 and check out how much more dynamic the introductory scenes are in that, how much better the character introductions are. It's crazy.

My favourite demonstration of the caliber of writing in Mass Effect Andromeda is they designed a whole new signature helmet for the Ryders just so it would break for the intro's Dramatic Moment.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't wait to cringe tomorrow at Android Lives Matter

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Huh. Detroit just turned into a solid 'rent at some point when I'm out of games'' instead of a 'dont care'. Who knew

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite demonstration of the caliber of writing in Mass Effect Andromeda is they designed a whole new signature helmet for the Ryders just so it would break for the intro's Dramatic Moment.

As bad as MEA was this is like, Cinema Sins level nitpicking. If they had an old style helmet they would have just made it break in a less visually engaging way. The new helmet style made it extremely clear what was happening for visual shorthand and didn't require a technobabble "My helmet's gleepglorp has come undone and I will die without a new helmet!" line of lovely dialogue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To this day, Jackass 3D is the only effective use of the technology I've seen.

Seeing Jackass 3D in the theater is one of the best movie experiences I've ever had

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Why do we hate David Cage? I know nothing except that two souls was a bit tedious and the Detroit demo was pretty cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

a primate posted:

Why do we hate David Cage? I know nothing except that two souls was a bit tedious and the Detroit demo was pretty cool

Gaulois sexual harasser

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not even campy, it's just a barebones plot that is wholly uninteresting and full of plot holes you could steer a Mako through. It also has all of one, maybe two, characters that aren't one-note or dull as dishwater.

you could say that about every mass effect game though not just andromeda

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

a primate posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gaulois sexual harasser

He's French.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

you could say that about every mass effect game though not just andromeda

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

David Cage makes interactive stories that take themselves seriously despite being silly. I don't think they're bad games, though, but they're not the best. His studio was also creepy with Ellen Page in Beyond: Two Souls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrNutt posted:

As bad as MEA was this is like, Cinema Sins level nitpicking. If they had an old style helmet they would have just made it break in a less visually engaging way. The new helmet style made it extremely clear what was happening for visual shorthand and didn't require a technobabble "My helmet's gleepglorp has come undone and I will die without a new helmet!" line of lovely dialogue.

When a piece of your protagonist's gear only exists for it to fail due to a deliberate glaring flaw, it is a bad design. Especially when it's made to replace a competently designed version, and has to continue to be used for the rest of the game.

"The helmet broke because it's designed to break" is also just bad storytelling.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The games seem designed to branch into multiple plays but would be insufferable to play twice.

This one being "the most branching ever" oh boy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a primate posted:

His games go insane. Which means that in the first one of his I played, a detective hosed a zombie murder suspect who went on to kung fu fight the internet.

He did Telltale poo poo before Telltale did it, and the fact you get a flowchart this time around loving rules. He also is big into virtual actors, and this time it looks like the tech is on point. Also, the actress who plays Kara was amazing on The Tick.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Detroit looks dope fight me

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

His games go insane. Which means that in the first one of his I played, a detective hosed a zombie murder suspect who went on to kung fu fight the internet.

For people who thinks he's exaggerating, he's not. Fahrenheit was the definition of David Cage whiplash.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm gonna have to stay off social media this weekend while I play it cause I'm sure it's going to be meme mined to death

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/999707853798567936

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

https://twitter.com/kamilumin/status/999630886986502144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was watching the Giant Bomb vid for it and they had the Jesse Williams character getting beat up by a white human, and then the cops bust down the door and shoot the black android.