Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Pokemon Gang is maybe not a terrible idea but I can't stop looking at how its sprite is not actually lined up with the circle so it looks totally off. Also, do they still appear off Poke Balls or is the game intelligent enough to have them appear from off-screen like the Pokemon that follow you in HGSS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
OK, I actually kind of dig the scraggy gang. Intimidate spam actually changes things up a bit in a way that's well communicated to the player (unlike whatever the factory field effect is!) and the enemies are actually at appropriate levels. Also scraggy is The Best.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Oh god, one gym for each type. That's ridiculous.

'Bo' is ぼ though? That thing at the front is just...nothing. :confused:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, Candy shop looks like the platonic idea of how a kid would design a candy store, especially if they were a 90s girl that bought all Lisa Frank school supplies and binged on Roald Dahl.

While on the other hand the rest of the city looks uninspired.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

limeicebreakers posted:

'Bo' is ぼ though? That thing at the front is just...nothing. :confused:

Yeah I have no idea what's going on there. If it is supposed to be ぼ then ぼ-ん could be "Born", although then it should have been written in Katakana since it's transliterating an English word. Maybe they got confused and were trying to write "Ban" (ば-ん) as in "Ban [Evil Company]"? Still doesn't explain the horizontal stroke through the first part of the character, though. Also that's not how you'd transliterate ban, even using Hiragana.

This game can't even weeb right.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

Also that's not how you'd transliterate ban, even using Hiragana.

It would, however, be how you'd transliterate "burn", other than using the wrong syllabary. Same sentiment with more violence.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
wait whats quash and why is it so bad

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

wait whats quash and why is it so bad

You force the pokemon you use it on to go last in the turn order.
This is completely useless in single battles and still super niche in double battles. There is no reason to ever use it

e: It also deals no damage and has no increased priority. If you want to use it properly you must be faster than the opponent you want to stall.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Ah, Pokemon Reborn. This Romhack holds a special place in my heart... not a good place mind, but a special one. It and Golden Sun are responsible for a certain policy of mine regarding video games: If I have to have a guide open at all times in order to enjoy it, I should play something else.

Agreed on the candy store being nice and the reverse-bitter candy being a neat idea (I've even borrowed the latter idea myself). Like others have said, there actually are a number of good ideas here. It's just that the implementation was so near-universally awful that it's impossible to enjoy it.

Onmi posted:

Again, it's not a perfect community, but it's legitimately trying and a lot of that was spurned on by having the toppest of titles almost all ripped to shreds and each flaw exposed and pointed out. More importantly, it revealed the immaturity of the story telling on a wider scale. And for a lot of hackers, that was embarrassing. Namely because they didn't really have an excuse.

And when you don't have an excuse, you have two options, go "You just don't get my vision, man." Or accept the flaws and try to improve them. It was a system shock to a very stagnant, hug box, introvert community that didn't help newbies, patted each other on the back and never innovated.
This sounds interesting. Do you happen to have a link to it? I have the archive upgrade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rannum posted:

You force the pokemon you use it on to go last in the turn order.
This is completely useless in single battles and still super niche in double battles. There is no reason to ever use it

e: It also deals no damage and has no increased priority. If you want to use it properly you must be faster than the opponent you want to stall.
Does anything with Prankster get Quash? That would at least give it a +1 Priority and make it theoretically usable in double battles.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Capfalcon posted:

I was actually thinking the TV was actually amusing when it was just "Famous people blowing off the reporter" and then it had to go suuuuuper creepy.

Did you really think a game like this was going to have a talking Gardevoir and NOT have it be weird and creepy?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AweStriker posted:

It would, however, be how you'd transliterate "burn", other than using the wrong syllabary. Same sentiment with more violence.

Good point. It would also fit in more with the... er, let's call it "tone" of the game. Still doesn't explain why 5/6 characters are perfectly fine but the first is mangled to all hell though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sigh, I guessed so. I just wanted to give Reborn the benefit of the doubt, but I guess it did not deserve it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

Does anything with Prankster get Quash? That would at least give it a +1 Priority and make it theoretically usable in double battles.

Murkrow (not Honchkrow, it gets Moxie) and Sableye (not Mega Sableye), both as Hidden Abilities.

So, I mean. If you want to bring a BST 405/380 pokemon (respectively) that can get one-shot by a Clefairy into a double battle, by all means.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm assuming sliding puzzle was in there because Essentials presumably gives you the tools to recreate the HGSS sliding puzzles, and of course the Reborn 'devs' have to use every random piece of bullshit just to show they can. To be fair it would be neat in a vaccuum, but in the context of them making everything have a bunch of extra hoops just because...

I'm also assuming that's where the stupid jumping puzzles came from, since those were a thing in HGSS too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

KataraniSword posted:

Murkrow (not Honchkrow, it gets Moxie) and Sableye (not Mega Sableye), both as Hidden Abilities.

So, I mean. If you want to bring a BST 405/380 pokemon (respectively) that can get one-shot by a Clefairy into a double battle, by all means.
Murkrow would at least get Eviolite. I mean, it'd still be paper thin but it might fit into one of those funny gimmick teams like the "give Garchomp Moxie" one.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

If you have prankster and Quash is your first move of choice, either you're drinking bleach or you're developing a RomHack of a beloved video game series aimed towards a more miserable mature atmosphere in need of challenging your player base. You're probably also that kind of player who won't progress in Pokemon Colosseum unless you can make the Mayor's Plusle take out an opponent's Steelix.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reborn gives every Pokemon egg a unique look based on what's inside. This means this is a Bronzor!

Ok. I'll give some props where due; I like this. It reminds me of how the anime envisioned pokemon eggs.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Actually, now that I think about it... back when I played this game, the egg in that spot could only be either Drowzee or Ducklett. I'm pretty sure Bronzor is better than either of those, so is this a rare case of the devs giving better tools to the players instead of worse ones? Shocking if true.

Of course, it's more likely that I'm overvaluing Bronzong or undervaluing Hypno/Swanna here. I'm sure someone will tell me if that's the case.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arkanian posted:

Actually, now that I think about it... back when I played this game, the egg in that spot could only be either Drowzee or Ducklett. I'm pretty sure Bronzor is better than either of those, so is this a rare case of the devs giving better tools to the players instead of worse ones? Shocking if true.

Of course, it's more likely that I'm overvaluing Bronzong or undervaluing Hypno/Swanna here. I'm sure someone will tell me if that's the case.

Bronzor is more useful in so far as it can take a hit thanks to interesting typing, fantastic defenses, and good abilities (heatproof means it has no fire weakness, levitate makes it ground immune) but it's not necessarily better, per say. It's weaker than either Ducklett or Drowzee, which might matter more if it replaced one of them.

Is it possible it just replaced Drowzee, looking at him again? Our level cap is 25, Drowzee evolves at 26 while the other 2 evolve at level 33 (Bronzor) & 35 (Ducklett). Having a Hypno, then using the level down candies, might have been too useful so they swapped in a psychic type who evolves later

Or just a random whim of the designers. With Reborn, anything is possible!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

rannum posted:

Is it possible it just replaced Drowzee, looking at him again? Our level cap is 25, Drowzee evolves at 26 while the other 2 evolve at level 33 (Bronzor) & 35 (Ducklett). Having a Hypno, then using the level down candies, might have been too useful so they swapped in a psychic type who evolves later
Considering what we know about Reborn and its devs at this point, I'd say this is pretty likely. Drowzee evolving "early" gives the player a possible tool, and we can't have that, can we?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It would be really fitting in a way for this hack's "designers" to make going over the level cap and then leveling down a requirement only to later realise that doing so incentivises doing that for other things later. Can't have that, so we gotta hastily remove the possibility lest players get ideas to use the methods and tactics the game teaches them to use.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Seeing that every Egg had its own sprite made me suspect that it was too much effort for someone on the Reborn team to do this. Well, someone else made them over a year ago and I guess they got permission. Still a cool little thing, though it's literally the second image when you google it, so whoever was in charge of it didn't search for long.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Seeing that every Egg had its own sprite made me suspect that it was too much effort for someone on the Reborn team to do this. Well, someone else made them over a year ago and I guess they got permission. Still a cool little thing, though it's literally the second image when you google it, so whoever was in charge of it didn't search for long.

if i was in the same boat i'd have done the same thing after seeing how nice and thorough these are. They even did legendary pokemon!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And eggs for different forms, even ones that don't make any sense, like black and white Kyurem, all of Rotom's forms, and Burmy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So with the lack of ever wanting to give the player an easy time, is Starmie locked behind several doors, game hacking, a pound of flesh, a week of manual labor at the creator's home, and a pact with a demon you (not the player character) have to enter into?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The TV interview would've just been harmlessly silly if it didn't go for a creepy bestiality joke right off the bat.

It's like they thought "these TV interview segments are too childish and safe, we need raunchy sex humor because that's mature!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So with the lack of ever wanting to give the player an easy time, is Starmie locked behind several doors, game hacking, a pound of flesh, a week of manual labor at the creator's home, and a pact with a demon you (not the player character) have to enter into?

No it's just late as poo poo. The complete absence of Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Energy Ball is a big knock against it.

Arkanian posted:

Actually, now that I think about it... back when I played this game, the egg in that spot could only be either Drowzee or Ducklett.

It was changed to also be Bronzor, at random. I forgot to mention that. I'll have to amend the update.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lot of the fanbase is so loving weird about Gardevoir, I never understood why that one gets so sexualized.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Robindaybird posted:

Lot of the fanbase is so loving weird about Gardevoir, I never understood why that one gets so sexualized.

Because it's literally a woman in a dress for it's sprite

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gardevoir is a weird jellyfish thing with monstrous hands but it also looks kinda like a pretty lady so

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Robindaybird posted:

It's probably because Gardevoir is one of the most humanlike Pokemon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Commander Keene posted:

It's probably because Gardevoir is one of the most humanlike Pokemon.

Funny enough it's not in the humanlike egg group. It's in amorphous with grimer and koffing.

It has more in common with a candle than a human!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Because it's literally a woman in a dress for it's sprite

Also a bob cut.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The more I notice the weird inhuman elements of Gardevoir the more I like it. It's like an uncanny valley of an elegant woman in a ballroom dress and that rules

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Leal posted:

Also a bob cut.

it will also die &/or summon a blackhole for you

quote:

Gardevoir has the psychokinetic power to distort the dimensions and create a small black hole. This Pokémon will try to protect its Trainer even at the risk of its own life.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure why anyone even considers the idea that a Pokemon might be in the box, even the player character.

I was wondering if the box was a Pokemon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Bogleech once went over every single pokemon in existence and their design.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/p280ralts.html

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Bogleech once went over every single pokemon in existence and their design.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/p280ralts.html

thank you for reminding me of Pokken's horrifying textures
from vaguely fleshy to weirdly furry to overly slimy, all textures in pokken are firmly in "off putting"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sylveon's ribbons being made of flesh is the best part of its design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

For this choice and this choice alone afaik yes and no are reversed because no is what starts a a battle. Which I win easily.

I think the kid is asking you if you're going to leave. When you say no, he's like "welp I gotta smack a bitch then".

Also thank gently caress you're playing through this so I don't have to. You deserve a medal.