Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Isn't that what Rhyno is doing now?

Man's gotta eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was approved for medicaid/AHCCCS! As an unemployed student, hell yes. I've worked every week since age 14, so it's time to finally get some coverage back at 30 for a year or two.

I was not approved for food stamps! You have to work 20 hours a week minimum to get them! t:mad: you, Arizona, t:mad: you.

Still a net win.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey are we still talking about how good Arrested Development is?

https://twitter.com/KevinTPorter/status/999406969365544961

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo. That's...bad.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I was approved for medicaid/AHCCCS! As an unemployed student, hell yes. I've worked every week since age 14, so it's time to finally get some coverage back at 30 for a year or two.

I was not approved for food stamps! You have to work 20 hours a week minimum to get them! t:mad: you, Arizona, t:mad: you.

Still a net win.

Grats dude. Any movement on the bike scenario?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo. That's...bad.

poo poo happens. She said he apologized and she forgives him and wants to work with him in the future, but of course the media will milk this for all it's worth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poo poo happens. She said he apologized and she forgives him and wants to work with him in the future, but of course the media will milk this for all it's worth.

So we forgive the other guys for being fucksticks about it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So we forgive the other guys for being fucksticks about it?

So they're typical hollywood entitled assholes why would anyone be surprised?

Unless there's a law against being a fuckstick not sure what's actually going to be done about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slothrop posted:

Grats dude. Any movement on the bike scenario?

Warning: longpost

For the bike, I broke down and bought the cheapest quality single speed I could find, a 6KU fixie with a flip-flop rear hub. Considering grafting the rear cassette and/or an old shimano 3-speed hub that a friend is willing to let go for a coffee. I did put it on a credit card but the month of book assistance I get from the VA will cover it next month, and right now is a super duper important time in my life to build the right habits. Walking/hiking long distances (my previous exercise) destroys my knees/ankles right now because I've gained so much weight over the past couple of years, so I mentally justified it.

Today I also spent $40 on gas I probably didn't have driving from hither and yon to different doctor's offices. The PI lawyer set up an exam (with a doctor/chiropractor! :angry:), then he referred for x-rays. The police report still isn't available online, but I called the officer back and convinced her to text me a picture of the front page of the report (I don't think she's actually written the rest, yet) that has the contact info for the driver. I sent that to the lawyer and doctor's offices. If this all falls through, I'm on the hook for probably $4k in x-rays alone. I don't think anything's permanently fuckered (other than the gnarly scar I'm going to definitely have on my forearm, it's a good chunk of flesh missing that I deffo should have had stitched but :money:) but, you know, lawyers. I have a follow-up at the doc/chiro on Friday morning, and hopefully I get the claim number before then.

At some point today my phone rang with a Tucson number and when I answered the woman on the other end only said, "Whoops, I think I meant to call your attorney, sorry." and hung up. Looking up the number it's private, not an office of any kind, so I have no idea who that was.

The meds/hormones are just now, on day 3 of the progynova and day 9 of the AA, getting into full swing and boy howdy am I super tired. Combined with that general tired you get from a lot of exercise or injury (my neck, back, and entire left arm are just sore from the accident) and that means last night I went to bed at like 7 PM and woke up today at 9, with I think an hour or two in the middle up in a reverse-siesta for phone reading. I haven't slept that long in a couple of years, usually my body hits 7 or 8 hours and is just like "you're up!"

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 24, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bike offer still stands if that one doesn't work for you. Might be able to fit it in my car (I've never tried) and get it into your part of the world next week after I'm back.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Snap, I missed that! Thank you, that a super generous offer. The 6ku should get here on Thursday/Friday, but I appreciate it a lot. Kinda wish I would have caught it before ordering, though the way the lawyer was telling me stuff it sounded like insurance companies can drag payments out for months and months.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Snap, I missed that! Thank you, that a super generous offer. The 6ku should get here on Thursday/Friday, but I appreciate it a lot. Kinda wish I would have caught it before ordering, though the way the lawyer was telling me stuff it sounded like insurance companies can drag payments out for months and months.

Months and months is shorter than the time it's been since I've ridden the bike, so it wouldn't matter much to me or change the offer. It's a Specialized Rockhopper that's about 20 years old, but has almost no usage because I'm dumb and spend lots of money on stuff which I then never use.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think life decided it needed to remind me that being gainfully employed has its benefits. Pun intended. My wife slipped on the stairs and chipped a bone in her ankle. A few hours later our daughter took a tumble running around the kitchen and cut her lip open. Both required doctor visits. Both would eat through my savings, but that's what insurance is for. So as much as my brain can yell at me to take a few months off from the working world, I don't think it would end up as quite the paradise vacation I imagine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

I'd show you but you'd be jealous

I doubt that

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

For the bike, I broke down and bought the cheapest quality single speed I could find, a 6KU fixie with a flip-flop rear hub. Considering grafting the rear cassette and/or an old shimano 3-speed hub that a friend is willing to let go for a coffee. I did put it on a credit card but the month of book assistance I get from the VA will cover it next month, and right now is a super duper important time in my life to build the right habits. Walking/hiking long distances (my previous exercise) destroys my knees/ankles right now because I've gained so much weight over the past couple of years, so I mentally justified it.

Today I also spent $40 on gas I probably didn't have driving from hither and yon to different doctor's offices. The PI lawyer set up an exam (with a doctor/chiropractor! :angry:), then he referred for x-rays. The police report still isn't available online, but I called the officer back and convinced her to text me a picture of the front page of the report (I don't think she's actually written the rest, yet) that has the contact info for the driver. I sent that to the lawyer and doctor's offices. If this all falls through, I'm on the hook for probably $4k in x-rays alone. I don't think anything's permanently fuckered (other than the gnarly scar I'm going to definitely have on my forearm, it's a good chunk of flesh missing that I deffo should have had stitched but :money:) but, you know, lawyers. I have a follow-up at the doc/chiro on Friday morning, and hopefully I get the claim number before then.

At some point today my phone rang with a Tucson number and when I answered the woman on the other end only said, "Whoops, I think I meant to call your attorney, sorry." and hung up. Looking up the number it's private, not an office of any kind, so I have no idea who that was.

The meds/hormones are just now, on day 3 of the progynova and day 9 of the AA, getting into full swing and boy howdy am I super tired. Combined with that general tired you get from a lot of exercise or injury (my neck, back, and entire left arm are just sore from the accident) and that means last night I went to bed at like 7 PM and woke up today at 9, with I think an hour or two in the middle up in a reverse-siesta for phone reading. I haven't slept that long in a couple of years, usually my body hits 7 or 8 hours and is just like "you're up!"

Too late now, but if you ever need cheap bikes, bikes direct actually has a scratch and dent that is even cheaper. You have to read the descriptions because sometimes major parts are missing, but you can do pretty well.
http://bikeisland.com/

----------------
So this loving rear end in a top hat has been in my local news for a bit. He harassed a Laotian refugee (who fought the communists) calling him a communist, claiming he was a marine and that his friends died. Well, he's a lying liar, and he keeps loving digging.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article211751809.html

quote:

“This gentleman appeared as if he was current, active military," Alex Wolpert, the man in the video, told the Sacramento Bee on Wednesday. “It’s because they get discounts, it’s because they get free stuff.”
Dude was a frail, 70+ yo man who was wearing a camo t-shirt.

quote:

“This gentleman appeared as if he was current, active military," Alex Wolpert, the man in the video, told the Sacramento Bee on Wednesday. “It’s because they get discounts, it’s because they get free stuff.”
Awww, cute snowflake.

edit: Also wearing a subaru t-shirt. rear end in a top hat.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had no idea bikeisland was a thing, but I'll keep it in mind for the future! I just checked it out and they didn't have anything in my size or that I could have repaired the current bike with for less than the $180 I paid for the fixie, but I bet they would have, eventually. A lot of bikes on there for $120ish with no headset, etc. So, I'll break down the current bike and toss the frame but keep everything else, just in case.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

US prices for trim pieces for first gen 4Runners/Hilux Surfs are loving insane. I need a shift boot and center armrest pad (which comes as a whole assembly) and the used parts I can find on US sites are like 150 bucks each for the bastards. But ho ho ho look at amazon.jp and you pay 80-90 USD for them, OEM and new.
From the looks of it, my first stop would be :10bux: of leather look vinyl and have a crack at making your own gaiters and recovering the armrest.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well this week has been pretty good for me. I landed my realistic dream job. It's a bit scary because I'm moving into a role I've never done before, in a city where I have no contacts. Moving out of your comfort zone is good though right?

Hopefully I'm good at this poo poo and can make some money so I can chase my AI dreams.

Anywho, it's beer-o-clock and I can't think of a more appropriate one for this thread :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I had no idea bikeisland was a thing, but I'll keep it in mind for the future! I just checked it out and they didn't have anything in my size or that I could have repaired the current bike with for less than the $180 I paid for the fixie, but I bet they would have, eventually. A lot of bikes on there for $120ish with no headset, etc. So, I'll break down the current bike and toss the frame but keep everything else, just in case.

I assume you mean at some point in the distant future after you have received a huge settlement, as the bike should probably remain intact as evidence until that point. You should at the very least talk to your lawyer before doing this!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

UK goons, eurocarparts are doing 50% off brakes this weekend.

In unrelated news I hate that discs are priced singly when you buy them in pairs, I forget every time and get sticker shock.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Absolutely. Not touching anything as-is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

UK goons, eurocarparts are doing 50% off brakes this weekend.
Hmm, that might be handy, thanks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Hey are we still talking about how good Arrested Development is?

https://twitter.com/KevinTPorter/status/999406969365544961

This is gross and very disheartening. Kudos to Alia Shawkat standing up for Jessica and addressing the BS right there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
And now that there's backlash, suddenly Bateman feels bad.

And Cross, yet again, involved in stupid poo poo with women.

In other news, took the first sick day of my life yesterday. Back at work today, feel loads better than I did but still not 100%.

But can't use up my sick time this early in the year still, when I know the fall is going to murder me with sinus infections, so yay murica. And my company actually has pretty outstanding sick/vacation time compared to most these days.

I guess I could have burned a vacation day, but I hate missing work for dumb poo poo like this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair bateman was cut off trying to finish a thought, and he kinda had a valid point. Most actors are narcissistic self important assholes and when those types of personalities get together they clash, and guys like Tambor who think they are better than everyone else talk down to and yell at everyone else, and it's tolerated because they are the "star". See the Christian Bale rant, classic example.

I think bateman wasn't necessarily giving his personal feelings on the situation, he was just telling it the way it is in Hollywood when egotistical people work together. He never suggested it was acceptable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595574306459648

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595735212609536

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999595973553852416

https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/999596036451717122

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

US prices for trim pieces for first gen 4Runners/Hilux Surfs are loving insane. I need a shift boot and center armrest pad (which comes as a whole assembly) and the used parts I can find on US sites are like 150 bucks each for the bastards. But ho ho ho look at amazon.jp and you pay 80-90 USD for them, OEM and new.
A 4runner account on instagram was like 'hey you need parts let me know!!!!' and looking at their prices, why in the gently caress would I buy from them when I can just buy who they buy from.

I mean I get it, but it weirds me out when it seems so obvious to me. Like there is this sex shop in a strip mall by us and proudly in the window they have a large sign that says "BUY LOCAL". If someone wants a dildo they are just going to cut you out and buy more direct, the support local thing kinda falls apart when your whole point is a middle man. Unless there are bespoke dildos they are selling, kinda have my doubts.

Same poo poo with my AE86, brother. AE86 people are even flakier than the truck people.
I thought I needed a dome light and did need a new faceplate applique for the HVAC controls. People wanted $30+ for either on eBay, new. They're still available from Toyota. ToyataPartsDeal has either for around $18. I'm really surprised at how many small parts are still available. Thankfully, like GM, TOyota used and reused a lot of parts on a lot of models. It looks like I can use the fancier AE92 dome light if I wanted, for example. The mounting and electrical connections look to be the same.

slothrop posted:

Well this week has been pretty good for me. I landed my realistic dream job. It's a bit scary because I'm moving into a role I've never done before, in a city where I have no contacts. Moving out of your comfort zone is good though right?

Hopefully I'm good at this poo poo and can make some money so I can chase my AI dreams.

My wife keeps making noises about moving to Washington state for the climate and job ops for her (paralegal). Both of our families are in and around the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area, where we are currently.
I feel like it's not going to work out as well as she thinks, and I'm not entirely thrilled about living somewhere where there is an actual winter. I'd have to have some property and a heated workshop or I'd go nuts. I'm a computer janitor, so I can probably find a job anywhere. I'll think about it when my daughter graduates from high school in a couple of year (IF she graduates...)

quote:

Anywho, it's beer-o-clock and I can't think of a more appropriate one for this thread :v:

Nice.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

To be fair bateman was cut off trying to finish a thought, and he kinda had a valid point. Most actors are narcissistic self important assholes and when those types of personalities get together they clash, and guys like Tambor who think they are better than everyone else talk down to and yell at everyone else, and it's tolerated because they are the "star". See the Christian Bale rant, classic example.

I think bateman wasn't necessarily giving his personal feelings on the situation, he was just telling it the way it is in Hollywood when egotistical people work together. He never suggested it was acceptable.

Yeah, but he was explaining it away and not taking ownership of letting those situations happen.

When an actress who has been around THAT long is saying she's never seen it, it's not a 'normal' occurrence, and letting it get painted as such while they try to whitewash a straight white dude who plays a transwoman for his sexual assault allegations.

The whole situation is poo poo, but you don't make excuses for a dude like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think he had good intentions, he just went about it the wrong way and admitted it so he's fine in my book.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
MGS: I hope your lawyer reams idiotlady good and proper. Sucks that you're having to deal with that.

nm posted:

Too late now, but if you ever need cheap bikes, bikes direct actually has a scratch and dent that is even cheaper. You have to read the descriptions because sometimes major parts are missing, but you can do pretty well.
http://bikeisland.com/

Despite knowing about both for years, I never realized bikeisland was the scratch and dent part of Bikes Direct. Neat. I'm planning on getting a better MTB from one of the two (depends on stock) sometime this summer.

I actually picked up a new cruiser for riding around town about a week ago and finally got it put together/tuned up for its maiden ride last night (just a 20 minute shakedown before the rain started).

The bike's nothing special: it's a Schwinn Community that TJ Maxx had for $160 but it should meet my needs for a townie bike just fine. Cushy-as-gently caress seat, rear rack as standard equipment, a more or less upright riding posture, and a front suspension that handles potholes nicely.

Smashed the everloving gently caress out of my fingat while airing up the tires on my wife's cruiser, though. Caught it between the front basket and the frame as it fell toward me when I accidentally hit the kickstand. I don't think I broke it but boy howdy is it sore this morning.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
gently caress yeah dude

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can't ever not see or say this now, and it's *really* difficult trying to explain that I got it from a dead, gay forum. Or why.

edit: Oh, sweet, Adiabatic! Congrats!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:cheers:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

Well done!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I can't ever not see or say this now, and it's *really* difficult trying to explain that I got it from a dead, gay forum. Or why.

edit: Oh, sweet, Adiabatic! Congrats!

I don't even know why people say that on here (I am the absolute worst at keeping up with goon lore) but it's definitely worked its way into my everyday speech.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I don't even know why people say that on here (I am the absolute worst at keeping up with goon lore) but it's definitely worked its way into my everyday speech.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

I didn't either so I looked it up. It's in the SAclopedia which leads to this goldmine post.

Also good job Adiabatic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Near as I can tell, it apparently traces to this thread (now in Comedy Goldmine):
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

tl,dr: someone managed to blow their finger off sacrificing a PS2 to the gods with thermite and propane, and the typo is from the post from the hospital immediately after.

edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaand beaten while I was reading the goldmine post.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh god I just found my 2nd grade year book. I didn't even know I had it.

Also photos of me at age 12 that make me BEYOND loving thankful that social media didn't exist. Jesus.

• Locked thread