Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's just endlessly funny to see the various peaceful nature enthusiasts screaming for this kid's blood. By funny I mean evidence our species is doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cheetah7071 posted:

You realize the best and really only way to let a natural forest come back is to wait for trees to grow naturally right

The Forest Service doesn't exactly go around planting trees after a fire

Yes they do.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes they do.

I just looked this up and you're right. That's pretty dumb given that regen is basically never a problem except in areas where climate change means a forest will never grow there again, but on the other hand that's super far down the list of dumb forest service fire policy

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
We need to stop jailing kids but can we please start with the black ones?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Soarer posted:

Make him do the community service until he turns 18 and graduates high school. Then press him into the forestry service until the area is back to the way it was before he torched it. Hell even give him whatever salary they pay forestry workers, but tie his life to taking care of that area.

source your embarrassingly bad quotes please

let me guess..... comments from the oregonian?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cheetah7071 posted:

I just looked this up and you're right. That's pretty dumb given that regen is basically never a problem except in areas where climate change means a forest will never grow there again
Yes, I've worked in wildland fire, and you're wrong in countless ways. Burned Area Response Teams are critical to stabilizing the environment and burn area and preventing further ecological damage due to erosion, soil chemistry composition, nutrient deprivation, invasive species...

But hey, at least you got this part right!

cheetah7071 posted:

but on the other hand that's super far down the list of dumb forest service fire policy

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I have to wonder how many folks screaming for blood have actually held a forest service job or worked in the WCC or anything like that. It’s certainly the hardest job I’ve ever had - and that’s without having to face the immense damage he’s done every single time he goes out to work.

It’s a good punishment.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The lesson you should all learn from this is that Oregon is full of vengeful wood elves and if you burn the sacred forests they will howl for your blood. The judge probably saved this kid's life by giving him a large symbolic fine that will be discharged while he's still a young adult.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I like how everyone is talking about crime and punishment, right and wrong, fair vs unfair. And yet nobody has directly addressed rehabilitation, which is always job one for justice.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah most everyone reading this is likely older than this kid will be when this debt is discharged, it certainly isn't going to ruin his life by then.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

This 36 million smells like those early RIAA and MPAA lawsuits and now nobody torrents

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

porkface posted:

I like how everyone is talking about crime and punishment, right and wrong, fair vs unfair. And yet nobody has directly addressed rehabilitation, which is always job one for justice.
Are well-off white kids even capable of rehabilitation

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Depends on how far along their affluenza infection is. Sometimes there’s just nothing we can do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This 36 million smells like those early RIAA and MPAA lawsuits and now nobody torrents

I assume this is sarcasm but it would be interesting to me to know how many people still torrent when streaming has frankly become far more convenient.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

anthonypants posted:

Are well-off white kids even capable of rehabilitation

idk ask Bill Gates and get back to me

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

dont even fink about it posted:

I assume this is sarcasm but it would be interesting to me to know how many people still torrent when streaming has frankly become far more convenient.
The only thing streaming has over cable is the fact it's on demand: you gotta manage four or five accounts (and apps on your TV) to get access to a decent number of shows, stuff you had access to can disappear up some other distributor's rear end in a top hat at any time, and between the multiple accounts it's unlikely you're actually saving much vs cable. And of course you have to bring your own broadband as well, which may be subject to caps (for some of the services, but not others - so there's another thing to manage and track). Streaming should be loving awesome - but of course greed and short-sighted stupidity hosed it up, like everything else in this rat's nest of a loving nation.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Streaming is great until you want to watch something Netflix has decided is physical disc only because gently caress you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Javid posted:

Streaming is great until you want to watch something Netflix has decided is physical disc only because gently caress you.

Netflix doesn't decide this. Media companies are pulling content to put on their own streaming services.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The judge probably saved this kid's life by giving him [an albatross] that will be discharged while he's still a young adult.
an apt punishment

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2018/05/25/20097535/pedestrians-run-over-by-suv-near-psu

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cougar killed and started to eat a biker out by me, even made the NYTs.

Cougar Attacks Two Bicyclists in Washington State, Killing One https://nyti.ms/2IYfUtv

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Flying guns are comin for us

http://komonews.com/news/local/flying-gun-gets-lodged-in-bumper-of-passing-car-on-i-5

seriously what the gently caress

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

seriously what the flying gently caress

ftfy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandorKP posted:

Cougar Attacks Two Bicyclists in Washington State, Killing One https://nyti.ms/2IYfUtv

The time to stop building suburban McMansion sprawl for lovely white people who don't want to see the poor/minorities was like 40 years ago btw. Look forward to more and more of this poo poo. One of the places where I work is still fairly rural but there are plans for a big development that's going to basically wipe an entire hillside of wildlife habitat and there have already been several cougar sightings where they are going to be clearing for their idiot houses. At this point I'm rooting for the cougars.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This was way the hell out there, further out than Ernies Grove. Some of the photos of sightings the cougar I recognize yards from Ernies Grove in. It's not a sprawl area ( atleast, not yet). Most of the growth in NB is happening in or near downtown, well away from this.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Once the gun is no longer evidence, does he get to keep it?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BrandorKP posted:

with bonus stealth AC (especially rural ones) AB, even

quote:

It released him and chased after the other cyclist, who had started to run. The authorities identified that cyclist as Sonja J. Brooks.
[...]
Officers found the body of Brooks, who was known as S.J.,
[...]
Friends said that Brooks did not identify as female. On Monday, the sheriff’s office released a statement saying, “The family requests their privacy during this difficult time, so they can grieve the loss of their daughter.”

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

with bonus stealth AC (especially rural ones) AB, even

That quote caused a little freakout. It seemed really unlikely that there were two trans people about that age, bike enthusiasts, prefers they/them, lived in King County, and called SJ but my wife has a friend matching those details that wasn't killed by a cougar.

Also, another article mentioned in the autopsy the cougar was not starving. For a wild animal to be driven away and then come back to attack is weird. I've read of cougar attacks against hikers over the years and victims were always lone injured/injured seeming adults or children ambushed with little warning. I wonder if this is going to end up like that brown bear that went berserk in a campground and turned out to have a very specifically placed tumor.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's making me re-evaluate my go away animal kit. Normally I just have bear spray and some decently sized rocks

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BrandorKP posted:

It's making me re-evaluate my go away animal kit. Normally I just have bear spray and some decently sized rocks

What would you add to it? Anything that can't be dealt with using bear spray is probably going to take a rifle to deal with successfully.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Vuvuzella and a megaphone.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

therobit posted:

What would you add to it? Anything that can't be dealt with using bear spray is probably going to take a rifle to deal with successfully.

That's the problem, I'm definitely not interested in adding a firearm.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Vuvuzella and a megaphone.

You might be onto something here. An airhorn might be a good add.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

BrandorKP posted:

That's the problem, I'm definitely not interested in adding a firearm.

If animal attacks figure sufficiently into your plans to be having this discussion, a gun is an entirely reasonable piece of that kit.

"hey guys I just bought a boat and I need to haul it, but I'm definitely not interested in owning a trailer, what should I do??"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Javid posted:

If animal attacks figure sufficiently into your plans to be having this discussion, a gun is an entirely reasonable piece of that kit.

"hey guys I just bought a boat and I need to haul it, but I'm definitely not interested in owning a trailer, what should I do??"

We get bears and elk in town. It's not an unreasonable choice. I'm just not going to do it, especially if there are alternatives. I'd say there seems to be a story about every quarter of a year about somebody getting killed by the wilderness out here. From fell off the ledge, to exposure, to got between mama bear and her cubs. Predatory attack are a relatively infrequent behavior, but early spring would be the season for them. Rationally i know I'm probably worrying about it more than I should be.

Edit: and there's also all the dumbness I see from other people, these are some of the most (Mt. Si, might be the most? )popular trail heads in the state.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Instagram and online dating photos have loving ruined hiking in this state.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Instagram and online dating photos have loving ruined hiking in this state.

Only on the weekends. I don't even try to go to anything popular on weekends. Living out here makes it easy in the afternoons, it's much, much better during the week. Save the trails people don't know about for Saturday and Sunday.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Bear spray is still your best bet. I've never heard of anything else comparably effective at deterring. Otherwise advice I heard from a ranger with brown bear experience once is that any weapon sufficient to matter is also going to be one too heavy to carry on a random hike.

This is really just a severely unlikely random roll. For the most part animals are easily deterred (loud noises, spray, boop the snoot, throw rocks, etc) and want to flee anyway. If for whatever reason they don't you are proper hosed and there's nothing you can do. Bears and cougars are so much more physically capable than a person you can't out run, climb, or fight them without some serious tools and know how.

Stat wise the chance of that happening is so much tinier than dying in a car crash I've never paid it much mind. I've spent weeks hiking with nothing protection wise except a small knife (mostly for cutting pepperoni and cheese). More important is proper camp etiquette with food smells and bear bagging and such. If I was hiking in Alaska or some such place with tons of brown bears I'd probably get some bear spray though.

edit: Wasps are the real bastards. Even if you aren't super allergic it's still dangerous to get stung by a bunch and that can happen with some dumb luck stumbling into a hive. I think stat wise they are your most likely dangerous encounter. They are also way more likely to attack you for no reason because they are just intrinsically assholes.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 29, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandorKP posted:

Only on the weekends. I don't even try to go to anything popular on weekends. Living out here makes it easy in the afternoons, it's much, much better during the week. Save the trails people don't know about for Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah and unfortunately as long as the misses has a M-F job that's what we get for the time being. Unless we get up early enough to be at a trailhead by 7 or 8 it's usually not worth it. Seen a lot of people taking their dogs into State Parks lately too; people just don't seem to give a gently caress about anyone else.

This is probably very "old man yells at cloud" ish. :smith:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Seen a lot of people taking their dogs into State Parks lately too; people just don't seem to give a gently caress about anyone else.

They don't pick up thier dog poo poo either. Then others scream obscenities at people in town as we walk our dogs. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BrandorKP posted:

They don't pick up thier dog poo poo either. Then others scream obscenities at people in town as we walk our dogs. Yay.

Look it's called DOG MOUNTAIN so I don't know what you expect.