Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm still all-in on the Hellboy kickstarter, but there's no way I'm dropping additional cash for the expansions without playing the base game first. I guess I could back them and flip them on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You can always just back the base, and get the expansions at retail if you like them.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

FOMO is really getting to me with respect to both Empyreal and Ortus Regni. I shall resist it, but if I hadn't already done a CSI order this month it might be another story.

Speaking of FOMO, is there anything really worthwhile in the list of 'KS and con while stocks last exclusive' expansions in the Alhambra KS? They're not doing a pledge manager either, you have to pledge for what you want up front, and can't upgrade later when you have more money and less sense again.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2018

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Speaking of FOMO, is there anything really worthwhile in the list of 'KS and con while stocks last exclusive' expansions in the Alhambra KS? They're not doing a pledge manager either, you have to pledge for what you want up front, and can't upgrade later when you have more money and less sense again.

I like Alhambra and all, but you'd need to be Alhambra crazed to need nine expansions for it. I don't think I've even played the base game nine times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you want deluxe Alhambra I would suggest the anniversary edition with the wooden fountains and get the expansions later. It’s a Queen game so you’ll likely find the expansion sets on amazon cheap a few months after release anyway. Also get Chicago express from them at $12. It happens 2-3 times a year, like clockwork.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Kickstarter mega box will have the wood fountains if they get a handful more backers (they run their stretch goals off of backer count rather than dollar amount)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shipping is 23 euros too, so I'm better off waiting for it to hit retail then, thanks

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

The Kickstarter mega box will have the wood fountains if they get a handful more backers (they run their stretch goals off of backer count rather than dollar amount)

Yeah that mega box is 120 💶

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gutter Owl posted:

Stupid jokes aside, Empyreal really isn't selling me like Argent did. I guess I was expecting more maximalist wacky bullshit like Argent. Empyreal feels too...safe? Like, it's pretty basic route-building? I can get that from Thurn un Taxis or whatever. I was hoping for 18XX with ludicrous game-changing spells.

I think part of it is lacking the personal feel you get from a lot of L99 games. They haven't really done anything "strategic" that I can think of, most of their games abstract to controlling a person or a handful of people. So it feels weird to have this top-down view of the Indines characters. Most of the flavor is more "regional" than personal. What character you have ends up being really important but their impact tends to be aggregated over the course of the game instead of one big effect (outside of Supporters).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Shipping is 23 euros too, so I'm better off waiting for it to hit retail then, thanks

The Mega Box isn't coming to retail, unless you know a store that's pledged at one of the multi-box tiers. There's quite a bit of KS exclusive content that's in the Mega Box

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
The Anniversary edition has that amazing board for the market/score tracking, I wish they sold it separately.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

The Mega Box isn't coming to retail, unless you know a store that's pledged at one of the multi-box tiers. There's quite a bit of KS exclusive content that's in the Mega Box

This might be true but how often do people play with the Alhambra expansions? I find it’s like Carcassonne or El Grande: simple games with maybe a couple necessary expansions. And I don’t even think Alhambra has necessary expansions compared to I/C and T/B for Carc. My group’s played Alhambra big box 2-3 dozens of times at least and we’ve never really desired to use any expansions at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I currently only have the first set of expansion modules for Alhambra, and I love mixing in one or two of them; just to mix things up a little. I can't imagine ever playing with every single expansion at once...but it's quite fun to just say "hey, we've got the currency exchange and the viziers this time around"

EDIT: Oh and the wooden fountain pieces have officially been unlocked now

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 24, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stonehaven are cool and good, make cool and good character minis, and always deliver

jivjov posted:

I currently only have the first set of expansion modules for Alhambra, and I love mixing in one or two of them; just to mix things up a little. I can't imagine ever playing with every single expansion at once...but it's quite fun to just say "hey, we've got the currency exchange and the viziers this time around"

EDIT: Oh and the wooden fountain pieces have officially been unlocked now

140 euros plus 23 euros shipping is just a lot of, and really too much, money to drop up front for someone who is interviewing for jobs rather than working in one, especially if it's not rock solid must-haves

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Crossposting from the SR thread, there's a kickstarter up for a Shadowrun board game.

I'm kind of boggling at it, as they set the goal at $25k, which makes it pretty obvious that they're just using KS for advertising.

Anyone know anything about Lynnvander Studios? They're credited with the design on this, and their list of prior games doesn't really have anything that jumps out at me as 'this is probably a must-get' for a $50 buy-in minimum to get the full game sans KS perks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 24, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

I'm still all-in on the Hellboy kickstarter, but there's no way I'm dropping additional cash for the expansions without playing the base game first. I guess I could back them and flip them on eBay.

I'm confused. I just backed it and there was literally only one please level choice, and it included all the explanations. Is there another option I'm missing?

Edit: Nevermind. I found them in the campaign section as optional add-ons.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Crossposting from the SR thread, there's a kickstarter up for a Shadowrun board game.

I'm kind of boggling at it, as they set the goal at $25k, which makes it pretty obvious that they're just using KS for advertising.

Anyone know anything about Lynnvander Studios? They're credited with the design on this, and their list of prior games doesn't really have anything that jumps out at me as 'this is probably a must-get' for a $50 buy-in minimum to get the full game sans KS perks.

I dropped Hellboy for Shadowrun. Lynnvander is a design-for-hire studio, so their games vary from "half decent" to "meh".

While I did love Hellboy and that the minis were amazing, my love for Shadowrun won out between the two.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Someone I played internet space games with a lifetime ago just launched their game Assembly on KS, I know she and her husband have been prototyping and testing it for a few years now.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Stonehaven are cool and good, make cool and good character minis, and always deliver

I backed their Halflings and Giants KSs and am pretty happy with the minis (even though I've barely gotten around to painting any yet!). This tempts me for the owl wizard alone, which looks like it'd make a good match for Oathsworn's raven wizard. OTOH I have far too many random unpainted minis sat around from previous projects and KSs...

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 24, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The makers of Arkham Ritual have started their Yokai Septet campaign. A very affordable trick-taking game (which seem to be super popular right now). Downside is it looks like a game of bridge with a tacked on theme.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The_Doctor posted:

The makers of Arkham Ritual have started their Yokai Septet campaign. A very affordable trick-taking game (which seem to be super popular right now). Downside is it looks like a game of bridge with a tacked on theme.

What the hell is trick-taking?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

What the hell is trick-taking?

Like Hearts or Tichu. Rounds of play in which the goal is to take the most "tricks" or discrete played hands.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jivjov posted:

Like Hearts or Tichu. Rounds of play in which the goal is to take the most "tricks" or discrete played hands.

Tichu's more of a ladder game, i.e. "someone leads a set of cards, people can beat it by playing the same type of set but higher"

Trick taking is *usually* defined as "everyone plays one card, the highest/trumpiest/best/worst/whatever card takes the trick, then leads the next trick".

Usually you have to follow suit if you can, usually there's a trump suit of some kind, usually you're trying to take the most tricks (hearts breaks the latter two rules!!).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Occasionally, as in Bridge, players are part of teams. (With Bridge, team members sit across from each other, and must use the limited information available to them - since they don't know each other's hands - to ensure the team takes the most tricks, rather than the individual players.)

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

silvergoose posted:

Usually you have to follow suit if you can, usually there's a trump suit of some kind, usually you're trying to take the most tricks (hearts breaks the latter two rules!!).
Hearts follows the 2nd rule, the suit that is led is trump. Sticheln breaks the 1st and 3rd (lik hearts you want points vs raw tricks).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aghama posted:

Hearts follows the 2nd rule, the suit that is led is trump. Sticheln breaks the 1st and 3rd (lik hearts you want points vs raw tricks).

...I would not agree. Trump is a suit that wins even though it's not the suit led. In my opinion.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I didn't back Black Rose Wars, but I just noticed that none of the publisher's KS games have even shipped yet. One was funded back in 2016. That's kind of a bad sign, isn't it?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Henker posted:

I didn't back Black Rose Wars, but I just noticed that none of the publisher's KS games have even shipped yet. One was funded back in 2016. That's kind of a bad sign, isn't it?

They said that was mostly because of production/factory issues that they've finally gotten around to sorting out, and (hopefully) now that they know a bit more about what they're doing, this project should go more smoothly.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Desfore posted:

They said that was mostly because of production/factory issues that they've finally gotten around to sorting out, and (hopefully) now that they know a bit more about what they're doing, this project should go more smoothly.

As much as I hate to be the naysayer, a lot of kickstarters say that. Take it with a grain of salt as it can be true as they're pretty new to kickstarter, or it could be false and they just and they're just stalling for more time across multiple projects.

At least they're not pulling a nosedive like the Terminator Boardgame :smithicide:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On the one hand it's not like the people designing the game are the people manning the production lines or sailing the ships, so it makes perfect sense to start on a new game before your first one is in people's hands. On the other hand I am kind of wary of backing a company with multiple ongoing kickstarters that hasn't proven their ability to fulfill one yet. If it's like CMON or Level 99 or whatever then sure.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

On the one hand it's not like the people designing the game are the people manning the production lines or sailing the ships, so it makes perfect sense to start on a new game before your first one is in people's hands. On the other hand I am kind of wary of backing a company with multiple ongoing kickstarters that hasn't proven their ability to fulfill one yet. If it's like CMON or Level 99 or whatever then sure.

Pretty much. I do like that most kickstarters try and be upfront about these sort of challenges, but a lot of the scummy ones take advantage of people's trust and such when it comes to the upfrontness of news.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosscowman/bff-the-rpg-of-girlhood-friendship-and-adventure

I have no idea how to feel about this game. Like, idk if it's something I'd enjoy, but they're just so sincere about it. 3 days to go, still need 600 bucks before they reach their goal.

It's basically a game where you pick a girl and you hang out with your friends and do stuff based on where you hang out and be friends with each other. It says it is based off of some other game called Fall of Magic, dunno if anyone here familiar with that can chime in.

I'll just copy and paste some of the kickstarter stuff cause they're bound to do a better job explaining than I can.

Kickstarter posted:

Best Friends Forever is a tabletop role playing game for 2-6 players of all ages. In it we tell a story about a group of young friends hanging out, having adventures, and exploring how our friendships change and grow.

Each Boxed Set includes...

17 Friends to represent our characters in the story
35 Charms to represent things our Friends like about each other and how we change and grow
6 Charm Bracelets to hold the charms and serve as a rules reminder
1 Hangout Guide spiral-bound with instructions, 13 hand-painted hangouts, a hangout map, and a yearbook to sign at the end of each session
52 Friendship Cards with narrative prompts to guide us in the creation of our story
1 Six–Sided Die to help us track how long each hangout will last. You might roll it to see if Ms. Wei kicks us out of her backyard, or use it as a counter to track our pizza supply. Each hangout is a little different!

I'm...very curious about this thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FirstAidKite posted:

It's basically a game where you pick a girl and you hang out with your friends and do stuff based on where you hang out and be friends with each other. It says it is based off of some other game called Fall of Magic, dunno if anyone here familiar with that can chime in.

I don't know much about BFF and have been on the fence about backing it, but I have Fall of Magic and another one of their games. My understanding is that their games are extremely rules-light, basically just collaborative storytelling, but have a lot of focus on production values of the playing pieces and other props; Fall of Magic is a huge, gorgeous game (linen scroll map, metal coins to represent characters), and BFF looks very similar.

As for whether or not to back: do you like hands-on components, and does the art style here appeal to you? Are you open to gaming with very loose rules? Are you interested in collaborative storytelling in the mode that the game's going for (in this case, slice-of-life stories about middle-school girls being friends and growing up)? If so, I'd consider going for it; their Kickstarter track record is good, as far as I know, and they certainly have experience delivering high-quality games like this in reasonable time frames. On the other hand, if you want something with a lot of crunchy mechanics or aren't interested in slice-of-life friendship stories, I don't suspect you'll find a lot of value here.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So what kind of KS is it appropriate to share that you've shot people?

Because Aventura Legacy is the gift that keeps on terrifying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Anniversary posted:

So what kind of KS is it appropriate to share that you've shot people?

Because Aventura Legacy is the gift that keeps on terrifying.

Wait, explain.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, explain.

This is in preparation for the relaunch.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Anniversary posted:

I wonder how many people there are for whom the following are true:
  • Plays RPGs
  • Has a father* that played RPGs
  • Hates father's RPGs
  • Backs games on KS from individuals with no published history in RPGs or KS that claim to have shot people
* Also this expression is maybe a bit outdated/sexist.

Apparently not many!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Anniversary posted:

This guy is the next Raven CS McCraken.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's reporting and threatening legal action against commenters, so you're not wrong.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Anniversary posted:

I shot a man just to watch him die, and I think you’ll be able to see that in the quality of my RPG writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

This guy is the next Raven CS McCraken.

Should I get in on this KS then? Cause I do treasure my copy of Synnibarr.