Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thundarr posted:

I was a bit surprised at how well that turned out. Maxima is surprisingly chill about the events at Fluminis and still wants to pursue peace. I have to assume he's sincere because for this to be a double double-cross at this point would be really bizarre. If Max survives the next couple of patches he's probably going to be our (much more straight-laced) Haurchefant figure for the inevitable Garlemald expansion.

Gosetsu : Heavensward :: Maxima : Stormblood

What I'm saying is Maxima is our hook into the next expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Ither posted:

What is with "my power, my pleasure, my pain"?

Why is it needed to unlock the Ridorana Lighthouse?

After 3.0, it seems like all the bad writers got shuffled off to the 24 raid content.

Raid story lines have always been boring tbh

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

UHD posted:

gaius's base beliefs were "more for the empire" and "gently caress you" so I dunno how right he really was

The sympathetic argument is more that his beliefs are "we have to stop all Eikons everywhere". The fundamental premise of his argument was right but the scale of his response was unacceptable.

He is in no way wrong arguing that Eikons/Primals are a horrendous, nearly insurmountable threat when anyone who really wants one bad enough and has access to a big enough supply of the most ubiquitous energy source on the planet can summon one. Worse yet when anyone who summons a primal gets a short term victory but just ends up killing the planet off in the longer term when all the aether gets sucked out of it.

The issue is that Gaius and the Empire in general's solution to this problem is to spread absolute totalitarian control across the entire known world and destroy any group, nation, or individual that has even the potential to get a primal up and running that do not submit to that control. As he states clearly when you fight him in the Praetorium he has pretty much everyone in Eorzea on that list as he considers the Twelve to be more or less the same thing as, say, Ifrit. Increasing the dominion of the empire is never actually going to work because people aren't going to give up on their gods and beliefs just because a man in cool armor points a gunsword at them and tells them to, so the end result is going to be a lot of genocide and since that's unacceptable to protagonists worldwide, hence the conflict.

I doubt that Gaius is ever going to come around to the good guy notion of spreading peace and removing the reasons for conflict in the first place, which incite the summoning of primals. I guess I should say I hope he doesn't, because the very best antagonists are the ones where you can follow their argument partly, but not all the way. I bet he wasn't very happy to learn those Ascians he was working with weren't actually all that interested in stopping Eikons but were more about encouraging as many as possible to flourish; hence all those masks on his belt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meiteron posted:

The sympathetic argument is more that his beliefs are "we have to stop all Eikons everywhere". The fundamental premise of his argument was right but the scale of his response was unacceptable.

He is in no way wrong arguing that Eikons/Primals are a horrendous, nearly insurmountable threat when anyone who really wants one bad enough and has access to a big enough supply of the most ubiquitous energy source on the planet can summon one. Worse yet when anyone who summons a primal gets a short term victory but just ends up killing the planet off in the longer term when all the aether gets sucked out of it.

The issue is that Gaius and the Empire in general's solution to this problem is to spread absolute totalitarian control across the entire known world and destroy any group, nation, or individual that has even the potential to get a primal up and running that do not submit to that control. As he states clearly when you fight him in the Praetorium he has pretty much everyone in Eorzea on that list as he considers the Twelve to be more or less the same thing as, say, Ifrit. Increasing the dominion of the empire is never actually going to work because people aren't going to give up on their gods and beliefs just because a man in cool armor points a gunsword at them and tells them to, so the end result is going to be a lot of genocide and since that's unacceptable to protagonists worldwide, hence the conflict.

I doubt that Gaius is ever going to come around to the good guy notion of spreading peace and removing the reasons for conflict in the first place, which incite the summoning of primals. I guess I should say I hope he doesn't, because the very best antagonists are the ones where you can follow their argument partly, but not all the way. I bet he wasn't very happy to learn those Ascians he was working with weren't actually all that interested in stopping Eikons but were more about encouraging as many as possible to flourish; hence all those masks on his belt.

Particularly since we know by now that anyone who can manipulate aether can summon a primal. Which is everyone who isn't a hereditary Garlean. Gaius in charge would, sooner or later, lead to the empire attempting to exterminate everyone who wasn't born with a crystal in their forehead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ither posted:

What is with "my power, my pleasure, my pain"?

Why is it needed to unlock the Ridorana Lighthouse?

After 3.0, it seems like all the bad writers got shuffled off to the 24 raid content.
It's a little added background on Dalmasca, a reminder about those dudes in Wineport, another dunk on Gegejuru (by Hancock no less,) and some added characterization for the bit NPC's in the Prima Vista.

Also another great WoL line: 'Quoth the man sitting on the airship.'

It is also a bit heavy handed on the sidequest allusion even if it is one of the more realistic 'hey they need time to research this thing go do this while you wait. oh hey you did the thing they're also done researching what a coincidence' quest scenarios there is.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Since we've faced Susanoo & Tsukuyomi, I'm betting we also fight Amaterasu at some point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ither posted:

Since we've faced Susanoo & Tsukuyomi, I'm betting we also fight Amaterasu at some point.

Goddamnit, Magnai.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a little added background on Dalmasca, a reminder about those dudes in Wineport, another dunk on Gegejuru (by Hancock no less,) and some added characterization for the bit NPC's in the Prima Vista.

Also another great WoL line: 'Quoth the man sitting on the airship.'

It is also a bit heavy handed on the sidequest allusion even if it is one of the more realistic 'hey they need time to research this thing go do this while you wait. oh hey you did the thing they're also done researching what a coincidence' quest scenarios there is.

The journal entries poke fun at the fact that your being sent to fetch a thing during downtime. It was just the game taking a shot at itself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spent some hours tanking wiping to the new ex primal. I'm still trying to burn those voice lines for stack/spread into my brain, there's no way i can reliably hear the gun cocking or whatever or check what the enemy's holding while i have to watch my cooldowns and health bar.
Still occasionally messing up the light/dark debuffs. I stopped trying to look at the debuff icon to determine the color since that got me reliably killed and am now looking at the big hovering icon instead. Works a lot better.
Since i need to tank the boss on the line though, i sometimes have problems managing my debuff stacks in a way that i switch over for the last tick of the smaller color, especially with the stack/spread mechanic thrown in. Am i right in thinking that when i drop into the larger color as meteor marks go out, and then into the smaller one when the meteor aoe markers show, i'm safe?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It does kinda feel like that quest was meant to be in 4.2 though as an interim thing, Jenomis talks multiple times about time passing, in the way NPCs usually do when a quest is carried between patches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Spent some hours tanking wiping to the new ex primal. I'm still trying to burn those voice lines for stack/spread into my brain, there's no way i can reliably hear the gun cocking or whatever or check what the enemy's holding while i have to watch my cooldowns and health bar.
Still occasionally messing up the light/dark debuffs. I stopped trying to look at the debuff icon to determine the color since that got me reliably killed and am now looking at the big hovering icon instead. Works a lot better.
Since i need to tank the boss on the line though, i sometimes have problems managing my debuff stacks in a way that i switch over for the last tick of the smaller color, especially with the stack/spread mechanic thrown in. Am i right in thinking that when i drop into the larger color as meteor marks go out, and then into the smaller one when the meteor aoe markers show, i'm safe?

You want to be standing in the smaller color when the entire map goes black/white so you have the longer period before the debuff hits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my issue is not missing that last moment in between positioning the boss, trying not to cleave the group and not dying to 5 stacks. When exactly does it happen?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think it's interesting that all the primals so far have been summoned via some really negative emotions. The game says over and over that aether + extreme emotion is what's required to summon one

Will we eventually see a primal summoned via extreme happiness/joy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's interesting that all the primals so far have been summoned via some really negative emotions. The game says over and over that aether + extreme emotion is what's required to summon one

We did, Glgamesh summoned Enkidu that way. Or at least a positive emotion there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does Susano not count? Also

Meiteron posted:

I bet he wasn't very happy to learn those Ascians he was working with weren't actually all that interested in stopping Eikons but were more about encouraging as many as possible to flourish; hence all those masks on his belt.

Well, the whole "By the way, here's some absurdly destructive Ultima magic out of nowhere" thing is likely a strong part of his motivation as well.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 26, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Worst part of this mostly awesome patch is that I'm sad Richard Epcar won't be voicing Gaius again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meiteron posted:

The eikons weren't even a thing in the modern era until after the empire's wave of conquest began. It wasn't until the fight over Silvertear Lake ~15 in game years ago that everything went to poo poo as far as primals goes and Gaius had been conquering other nations in the name of the empire for at least a decade prior to that. So yeah his answer to primals is "conquer more" once they showed up but the bringing the light of civilization to the benighted barbarians of the world through force is at the very core of his ideology. Or at least, was. I doubt he's changed too drastically in that regard, but we can look past that for now if he's badass enough to kill Lahabrea-level Ascians with no Echo or Blessing to help him and he's on our side.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Arguably there's Phoenix, but I wonder how many players have actually done that questline these days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just had an idle thought - I wonder how Krile’s Miqo’te coworkers feel about her cat ear hoodie?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Just had an idle thought - I wonder how Krile’s Miqo’te coworkers feel about her cat ear hoodie?

I'm one of her miqo'te coworkers and I think it makes her look cute.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Krile is good and her outfit is great, as a catgirl myself

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Isn't it a Carbuncle Hoodie?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vadoc posted:

Isn't it a Carbuncle Hoodie?

Nah,i t's a reference to:

It's actually supposed to be a Moogle hoodie. Krile in FFV had a moogle theme and that was early in their design when they looked more like

the FFXIV one is more catlike for sure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AST genuinely feels like a completely different job after the changes. Your level of in-fight mobility is just bonkers with zero clipping issues. I'm actually a little curious how much their personal DPS went up solely from how good they are at dealing with movement-heavy mechanics now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's the standard outfit of the Devout.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gaius circa ARR at least put the kibash on mass genocide via biological and chemical warfare as shown in that questline in the Fringes. I mean, Garlean Empire still Bad and he was hardly a good guy but when it comes to the various figureheads in the Empire he's hardly the worst. Granted that's damning with the faintest praise, I admit. :shrug:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

To be fair he didn't shut it down for any real ethical reason, he did it because a massacred populace has less to contribute to the empire than a conquered one.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Thundarr posted:

The eikons weren't even a thing in the modern era until after the empire's wave of conquest began. It wasn't until the fight over Silvertear Lake ~15 in game years ago that everything went to poo poo as far as primals goes and Gaius had been conquering other nations in the name of the empire for at least a decade prior to that. So yeah his answer to primals is "conquer more" once they showed up but the bringing the light of civilization to the benighted barbarians of the world through force is at the very core of his ideology. Or at least, was. I doubt he's changed too drastically in that regard, but we can look past that for now if he's badass enough to kill Lahabrea-level Ascians with no Echo or Blessing to help him and he's on our side.

I'm pretty certain that killing Midgardsormr over Silvertear unleashed the Eorzean primals (for those who aren't familiar with this go look up the original 1.0 opening cinematic) but that Eikons/Primals as a whole were around elsewhere and causing problems before that point.

One of the closing bits of the 4.3 plot is when Maxima is giving Alphinaud some lore on the Burn, which is an aetherically empty desert created when an Eikon was summoned there and leeched the life out of everything. Most critically he talks about how the original founding emperor of Garlemald took one look at the Burn and instantly decided he needed to repurpose his burgeoning empire to start dealing with any being that could do that.

They might be retconning their own historical timing though, who knows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meiteron posted:

I'm pretty certain that killing Midgardsormr over Silvertear unleashed the Eorzean primals (for those who aren't familiar with this go look up the original 1.0 opening cinematic) but that Eikons/Primals as a whole were around elsewhere and causing problems before that point.

One of the closing bits of the 4.3 plot is when Maxima is giving Alphinaud some lore on the Burn, which is an aetherically empty desert created when an Eikon was summoned there and leeched the life out of everything. Most critically he talks about how the original founding emperor of Garlemald took one look at the Burn and instantly decided he needed to repurpose his burgeoning empire to start dealing with any being that could do that.

We also know that primals were a serious issue during Allag's time, and I think it's been strongly implied that the Garleans encountered a lot of Allagan magitek early on so they presumably know all about Allag's experiences with primals.

For that matter, I think it's likely that the Empire fought primals when securing its own continent. I don't recall hearing much about Garlemald itself, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Garleans encountered and fought primals summoned by locals on their home continent before the Garleans sought out other lands to conquer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Meiteron posted:

I am probably very wrong on this, but I remember it being that in killing Midgardsormr (the big one) his corpse falling to the earth cracked open a gigantic reservoir of aether underneath Silvertear Lake, and the resultant raising of ambient aether is what is making Primal-summoning into A Thing That Can Be Done Much More Easily. as a result?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am probably very wrong on this, but I remember it being that in killing Midgardsormr (the big one) his corpse falling to the earth cracked open a gigantic reservoir of aether underneath Silvertear Lake, and the resultant raising of ambient aether is what is making Primal-summoning into A Thing That Can Be Done Much More Easily. as a result?

Nah, what's making all the primal summoning happen a lot more is the Ascians running around teaching everyone how to do it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its both. Its easier to do it after the battle of silvertear lake, and the ascians are encouraging people to do it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Server ticks being a core mechanic for the new extreme trial is unbelievably loving bad.

The rest of the fight is pretty cool though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Presumably, the Burn isn't a recent thing, and that the Garleans have records, maybe from Allagan times, of it. The stuff we're told about the Burn ingame doesn't indicate any sort of timeline on it, only that when the first Garlean Emperor saw it, he was horrified.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I tanked my first dungeon as DRK. It went smoothly. Too smoothly, I think! I could get used to this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Battle of Silvertear Lake just made it much easier to summon primals, to the point where small beast tribes could do it. Previously, it seems like it took entire nations to summon a primal.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Brainamp posted:

Worst part of this mostly awesome patch is that I'm sad Richard Epcar won't be voicing Gaius again.

loving SERIOUSLY. This is so drat depressing to think about. :smith:

Darth Walrus posted:

Miqote do not consider themselves cats, so I'm gonna say "just fine."

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Brainamp posted:

I wouldn't necessarily count on that :ssh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Use JP VA, and you'll never have that problem ever again. Mmm, Akio Otsuka.

Edit: or any OTHER problems, for that matter. I hear that a certain character's EN VA is flat, dead and not scenery-chewing at all like it should be, or like his expressions would have you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The mask has a voice changer in it duh