Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm from ID so we got quite a bit of snow (though, the past three years, my hometown has had near zero and last year they got absolutely zero, the first time in recorded history. But climate change isn't real guys right?), but you're still right. West coast best coast.

I miss being able to drive for hours and only see another car or two. Or sometimes no cars at all during, say, an entire Wednesday night 3-hour drive :smith:. My entire drive from Portland to Phoenix with the VW bus was surrounded by cars, and not just because I was slow. I never had less than twenty cars in my sight.

idaho aint pnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

idaho aint pnw

It's more PNW than eastern Washington, by climate. :colbert:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 26, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Suck my diiiiiiiick

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

nm posted:

Triple cranks. They're a good sign of an out of date MTB. Most of them have 1x setups with 1 chainring and a bigger cassette with a huge range of gears.

Good to know.

That's PDX. The PNW is big, and the further east you go, or the further south you go, the more it tones down. It's still wholly unique, but you get to choose your gradient. Western Montana/southern Idaho is where it transitions from the midwest blah into forest (the forest/savannah transition, that also includes the Utah high desert) into PNW. As you travel NW, either up through Oregon or west through Idaho, it get progressively more dreary, but also progressively more populated. The moment you hit the Canadian border, whether or not you want to kill yourself depends on how you spend your free time.

I'm fully convinced that the culture/politics are the only reason places like eastern Oregon or north Idaho are as unpopulated as they are. Because otherwise the weather is a loving perfect four, even seasons, with winters that occasionally get snow and summers that occasionally hit 100 (but more often hover around 85-90 max). You get a generous fall and spring, there is a good mix of urban and rural areas, land and houses are cheap, and Amazon still does Prime, though it's 3-day instead of 2-day. It rains 1/8 to 1/4 of the year, which is an honest mix that I actually kind of miss. Yet, it's not cold enough that they ever salt the roads (where I'm from). Sometimes, in certain areas, there is a single winter blizzard that shuts things down for a day or three, but it's not a 3-week mess like NY sometimes gets.

You just have to live within a 100-mile radius of open white supremacists. That does kinda blow.

Eastern and central Washington are the most unbearably depressing places in the winter, though. It's just an omnipresent grey with bitterly cold wind constantly. Eastern Oregon is... better... ish. Northern Idaho is gorgeous but Cd'A is a shithole city full of shithole people and only the lake redeems it.

Okay, I almost agree with Idaho and MT being PNW (though they're really inland northwest along with central and eastern Washington and Oregon) but loving Wyoming is not PNW.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

100 miles would be a dream. We have that poo poo two blocks away.

Was gonna say, 100 miles would be a blessing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Okay, I almost agree with Idaho and MT being PNW (though they're really inland northwest along with central and eastern Washington and Oregon) but loving Wyoming is not PNW.

Just the first five results for "PNW map" on my GIS :shrug:. If it's about climate, Idaho (at least, N. Idaho) is definitely PNW. Coeur D'Alene gets just as much rain, 6x as much snow, and has the same average number of rainy days as Seattle. Inland Northwest is a marketing term made up to make Boise feel better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Magnus Praeda posted:

Call the Post Office for your area and ask to speak to a carrier supervisor and report that poo poo. Either your carrier is a lazy gently caress (likely) and needs a reprimand or is an idiot (also likely but probably not the issue here) and needs a retraining.

When I was at the post office to pick up the package, they told me my "regular carrier" had it, and that someone else filled in yesterday. They had no explanation as to why it went out for redelivery when I requested (before the cutoff) that they hold it.

... when I found him today, it was someone I've never seen. He said it was a brand new route for him, and he didn't know which building was which. :argh: (each one has its own street address... clearly labeled, though). But yeah, not too pleased. I'm guessing the line I got about a substitute filling in yesterday was just a line fed to me to get me out of the lobby.

I have another package (Lootcrate) coming via FedEx SmartPost (which gets handed off to USPS for the final mile), I'm gonna be livid if this happens with that one. I WANT MAH ARCHER LOOT.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm fully convinced that the culture/politics are the only reason places like eastern Oregon or north Idaho are as unpopulated as they are. Because otherwise the weather is a loving perfect four, even seasons, with winters that occasionally get snow and summers that occasionally hit 100 (but more often hover around 85-90 max). You get a generous fall and spring, there is a good mix of urban and rural areas, land and houses are cheap, and Amazon still does Prime, though it's 3-day instead of 2-day. It rains 1/8 to 1/4 of the year, which is an honest mix that I actually kind of miss. Yet, it's not cold enough that they ever salt the roads (where I'm from). Sometimes, in certain areas, there is a single winter blizzard that shuts things down for a day or three, but it's not a 3-week mess like NY sometimes gets.
It is because there are no loving jobs there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just because I and everyone else in my HS graduating class, and the 13 graduating classes since (at 250 people each), have moved away because of a lack of jobs doesn't mean it's true :v:

I'm getting into nursing because hopefully that job will exist in places like that. Everybody needs nurses and I need cheap land.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you aint a hardcore Star wars fun Solo is competent with one of the biggest ridiculos asspulls at the end.

Okay movie nothing great and best if you go in with low expectations

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We watched Thor ragnorak last night, it had my wife and I in stitches.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

We watched Thor ragnorak last night, it had my wife and I in stitches.

It's the best Marvel film to date, it understands that the concept of superheroes is inherently silly and runs with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

The problem is mostly that no bikes with good modern groupsets come with 3x. It is a particular issue on BD because they advertise a full XTR bike for not much money, and it turns out it is 3 generations old and suddenly it is less good of a deal because 3 generation XTR is basically deore now. 3x8 and 3x9 older drive-trains are pretty solid, but the only existing 3x8 and 3x9 new drivetrains are pretty low quality and will have issues. Like I'd totally ride an MTB with 3x8 Deore XT (and, in fact, I do), but any 8 speed drivetrain sold on a new bike is going to be cheap crap that will never shift right.
You can actually build up a 3x11 modern XTR drivetrain for some reason but no bikes actually come with them stock AFAIK.
Yeah, but I was under the impression he was looking at the lower end of the market, and if I went out to spend £200-£300 on a bike, I wouldn't be massively bothered by it being a 3x, and in a way I actually prefer 8 speed in that situation, when the componentry is built down to a price, the wider chain is probably more durable.

I have 3x7 on a rigid bike for "urban commuting" type jobs, and that's through choice, I regard it as the best tool for the job over other drivetrains or having suspension forks.

It doesn't get used much now because I'm a lazy fucker, but that's another story.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I used to have 3*8 steel heap of poo poo that I *still* cant get close to climbing the next to walls (Over 30%) around were I ived in the bush with the most lightweight modern carbon fibre wonder. And it's the sole bike that I managed to climb a 13% average 3km climb out of a gully along a loose firetrail without stepping off the pedals.

Frankly the current switch to single front and ridulous gear rear is just frigging silly.
The only big issue I have with 3x setups is chainsuck in the granny ring, but that's as much to do with UK conditions as anything.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's the best Marvel film to date, it understands that the concept of superheroes is inherently silly and runs with it.

Nah, Infintiy War and Winter Solider beats it in goodness personally. But it is still pretty loving good/great and it seems like it's getting better regarded as time goes on - once you get past how hysterically funny it is..... it's actually a pretty solid movie that does a hell of a lot right with story, visuals etc.

Fuckign amazing that there hasnt been a genuinely bad film in the MCU and a lot of very good ones

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

That's PDX. The PNW is big, and the further east you go, or the further south you go, the more it tones down. It's still wholly unique, but you get to choose your gradient. Western Montana/southern Idaho is where it transitions from the midwest blah into forest (the forest/savannah transition, that also includes the Utah high desert) into PNW. As you travel NW, either up through Oregon or west through Idaho, it get progressively more dreary, but also progressively more populated. The moment you hit the Canadian border, whether or not you want to kill yourself depends on how you spend your free time.

You just have to live within a 100-mile radius of open white supremacists. That does kinda blow.

Nice sales pitch, makes me want to live there except i) the last part, ii) it's USA, iIi) you're in texas or arizona or some poo poo??
E: I'm in perth west australia and what you are saying is similar to this area and the further south west of WA; no snow/salted roads and bonus wine country, dairies and breweries. Pretty good but boring for young folk, and nothing of great importance ever happened here. It's just a low level of constant OK non interestingness. Late edit: Of course shopping for stuff loving sucks and is overpriced in our most isolated western region in the world. Seems the same poo poo over there because it's out of the way and more ignored, less influenced, less developed.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 26, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah, Infintiy War and Winter Solider beats it in goodness personally. But it is still pretty loving good/great and it seems like it's getting better regarded as time goes on - once you get past how hysterically funny it is..... it's actually a pretty solid movie that does a hell of a lot right with story, visuals etc.

Fuckign amazing that there hasnt been a genuinely bad film in the MCU and a lot of very good ones

I've not seen Infinity War but Winter Soldier was a slog and a half with little to set it apart from any other Marvel flick. I know they need continuity but I'd struggle to tell Avengers 1, 2, Winter Soldier apart from each other.

Also bikechat; Shimano is bringing back a double chainring setup for MTB in 2019 because like always they've sold you a fad with a single ring. You goobers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Age of Ultron was genuinely terrible.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
So I still can't stand the east coast. But whatever roads I was driving on last night make our West coast freeways look like dirt roads, must be why there are tolls every five minutes on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lotta openly racist people in boston, jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lotta openly racist people in boston, jesus.

You took a wrong turn and are actually in Kentucky.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Actually, the best superhero movie is Deadpool 2.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just finally got around to watching the first one today, need to find a :filez: copy find some time to go see the new one while it's still in theaters!

Also haven't seen Infinity War yet, do they win by multiplying it by zero?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So here's an awkward one I've never had happen before and I'm open to opinions as to how you'd handle it. It's kind of funny but might be sensitive.

It's been hot lately so we open our windows after sunset to get some airflow through the house. We live in a 2-storey, so we'll open a north facing 1st level window and the east facing 2nd level window which lets some good flow through if there is even a small breeze.

So a couple nights ago, it started to get a little too breezy around midnight and Mrs. Slidebite went to close the windows. She came back to bed and said "well, that's something I can't unsee.." and when I asked what she's talking about she told me she went to close the window she saw the neighbors window which, our east facing laundry-room window looks down on, had their light on, curtains wide open. It appears to be a spare bedroom (we never noticed before because that room never has any lights on).

She said sprawled on top of the bed was their mid 20s son (who doesn't live there just visiting) cranking one out like it was the end of the world.

We both kind of chuckled and went to sleep.

Next day was another hot day, basically a repeat as the day before. Windows open in the evening, but closed them around midnight because the wind picked up except this time I did it. And this time, I was treated to the show. Curtains wide open, not a care in the world, dude getting busy with himself.

Now, I really don't give a poo poo if someone next door is having fun and it's not like we are staring, but it takes about 10 seconds to close the window and if their light is on it's readily visible, so you can't not notice if you're closing our window.

Question: What would you do?

Not say a thing at all to the old man or mom (who we kind of know) or mention how visible their spare room is in conversation without alluding to anything in particular?

My concern is the son would probably be god drat horrified if he found out his room is so visible, and the flip-side, ignorance might be bliss. Unless he's an exhibitionist, which I doubt.

I don't think he'll be there much longer, but :shrug:

My gut is to not say a god drat thing, and if it were me I don't really know if I'd want to know.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

My concern is the son would probably be god drat horrified if he found out his room is so visible, and the flip-side, ignorance might be bliss. Unless he's an exhibitionist, which I doubt.

Do you have a floor-length mirror?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Next time yell "get a room you two!" :downs:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

As much as the references and callbacks the the extended universe in Solo are really clunky or outright bad.... just realised they made a great one to American Graffiti and Space NO2 exists in Star Wars.

If you want to make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs make sure you bring yor nitro

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do you have a floor-length mirror?
Oh god, that would almost be worth it. If he looks out his window just see a reflection of himself.

No I don't.

I'm leaning against saying a thing, but would you want to know if it was you?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

slidebite posted:

My gut is to not say a god drat thing

Mine too, FWIW.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

I'm leaning against saying a thing, but would you want to know if it was you?

Ignorance is bliss, but it would be a valuable lesson in being proactive about his own privacy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As much as the references and callbacks the the extended universe in Solo are really clunky or outright bad.... just realised they made a great one to American Graffiti and Space NO2 exists in Star Wars.

If you want to make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs make sure you bring yor nitro

Interesting, the last movie to do this well on memorial day weekend was Fast and Furious 6.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sneak over there and tape a note to the window that says "the entire neighborhood can see you, close your curtains."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Friendly Neighbourhood Fapman: if it's only you who overlooks him, I'd ignore it. If other people can see, maybe could save him greater embarrassment by taking anonymous action.

Solo: The trailers really haven't done anything at all for me, and I hadn't even realised it was out, both of which are a bit concerning given I should be totally stoked about a Han Solo movie. Is it worth a watch?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of my sister's (that I am friends with on FB because she is hilarious) is vacationing in the UK right now and she's hanging out with her cousin/aunt or something and she keeps posting selfies and holy poo poo does England need some goddamned universal dental care

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A friend of my sister's (that I am friends with on FB because she is hilarious) is vacationing in the UK right now and she's hanging out with her cousin/aunt or something and she keeps posting selfies and holy poo poo does England need some goddamned universal dental care

Please no gore in this thread :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

it's even worse here in the US than it is there and you know it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

it's even worse here in the US than it is there and you know it

Meth is a choice.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Meth is a choice.

Complete lack of any healthcare including dental isnt.

Again, their teeth may not be straight and white (as a generalization) but as a rule they're a fuckload stronger and more healthy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Meth is a choice.

fuuuuckk offf

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Hail Hydra. I just bought a preserved octopus in a jar. When Cthulhu comes, I'm going to be No. 1 to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

universal dental care

I can’t get my brain in gear to explain why I think your post is dumb, so instead I’ll focus on this bit.

Do any countries have universal dental care? It’s an interesting concept. Growing up in socialist paradise New Zealand we certainly had dental offices at almost all of the schools I went to, or nearby. There was no coverage for things like braces etc. I probably should have got them but we couldn’t afford it so :shrug:

Pretty sure any government dental care ran out as soon as I turned 18.

• Locked thread