Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

Excirah to see which country he escapes for since the rest of the EU are also godless respecters of women and we're just catching up.

I'm sure we'll still get his great insights via an Independent column.
I like how this graph is so trying not to make the past Irish legislation looks bad it put "only to save the mother life" in the same category as "let the mother die with the child because everyone is too afraid of performing an abortion to save her". Welcome into last century anyway, Ireland.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Looks like I’ll be wearing green out to the watch the Champion’s League tomorrow. I’m in Toronto and activating my right to be proud every now and then.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
4chan weirds talking about Ireland is always so bizarre. Like even if we turned into their shithead right wing fantasy what would it even matter, we're a tiny country and we wouldn't be able to hold back the (((EU)))) from performing white genocide or whatever the gently caress they're pissing themselves over.

not that I'm saying don't post any more, because haha eat poo poo idiots

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cicadalek posted:

4chan weirds talking about Ireland is always so bizarre. Like even if we turned into their shithead right wing fantasy what would it even matter, we're a tiny country and we wouldn't be able to hold back the (((EU)))) from performing white genocide or whatever the gently caress they're pissing themselves over.

not that I'm saying don't post any more, because haha eat poo poo idiots

the problem is, who could possibly be whiter than the irish?

other than the british

and maybe the scottish

and maybe, if you ignore Ben Franklin, the germans and scandinavians

but other than those

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the problem is, who could possibly be whiter than the irish?

other than the british

and maybe the scottish

and maybe, if you ignore Ben Franklin, the germans and scandinavians

but other than those

They are losing faith in the Scandinavians and Germans since their countries allowed in "evil" refugees fleeing from impoverished war torn countries who may have a different religion. Their only hope is that Brexit passes and somehow the UK ends all immigration forever and becomes the shining white utopia which has had a strong multicultural heritage and probably will never change no matter how hard Nigel Farage wet dreams it.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/pdquinn7/status/1000294401107734528?s=20

What did they expect to happen, asking for the divine intervention of a woman who experienced a crisis pregnancy?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Nordies gonna Nord

https://twitter.com/DMcCaffreySKY/status/1000296238334599168

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I hate to piss on everyone's cornflakes but do y'all reckon there will be much in the way of nutters protesting outside clinics and that? There were people protesting outside the building in Belfast where the Marie Stopes women's health clinic had been months after it closed :v:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

crispix posted:

I hate to piss on everyone's cornflakes but do y'all reckon there will be much in the way of nutters protesting outside clinics and that? There were people protesting outside the building in Belfast where the Marie Stopes women's health clinic had been months after it closed :v:

Probably a bit, yeah, hopefully a big mandate helps scare and demoralise them back into their caves for a bit

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There was a regular there who was a big noncey looking bloke and his placard read ULSTER SAYS NO and there was much smaller writing about stopping abortion :/

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ah early tallies for Inishowen, about 10 minutes from my house, 60% No

Good good

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Ulster, on either side of the border, is always reliably nuts. If Roscommon gets much company in the dustbin of history in this referendum it'll probably be the Nordies.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It looks like even Roscommon are being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Twitter feed from Independant.ie posted:

It is estimated to be 57.14% for yes and 42% no in Roscommon Galway

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well done, Ireland. Well, well done.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Map of the provisional tallies:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishPolMaps/status/1000331648536334337

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Congrats folks

Can your next referendum concern invading and annexing the north? cheers

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mother's side is from Donegal.
Very Craggy Island people.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bryter posted:

Congrats folks

Can your next referendum concern invading and annexing the north? cheers

We don’t want your junk, OP

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NI doesn't have same-sex marriage and their speed signs aren't in metric. We're just too different.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A nugget I must have missed last night:

quote:

RTE’s exit poll showed Fianna Fail was the only party whose members rejected the referendum with 50.3pc voting No and 49.7pc voting Yes.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Well well well.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Turnout 51%?

Ah: tracking at 62.1 at the moment nationally

Results updating live here: https://www.rte.ie/news/eighth-amendment/results/

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 26, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

All of Dublin in now - 75.5% for Yes, turnout 65.7%

Just waiting on Cork East, Sligo-Leitrim and Donegal

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So sounds like the last few constituencies have sent their results to Dublin Castle but wont be announced before the final national result is announced - which looks like it's being delayed to tie in with the 6pm news?

edit: is this a trick to make me watch the angelus

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 26, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

:toot:

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Not 69% but still very nice

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Not 69% but still very nice

Nearly 66.6% though - Good job there Leinster

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was never that fond of Donegal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PowerBeard posted:

It looks like even Roscommon are being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Probably only thanks to Gerrymandering. In the Marriage Equality referendum, it was a Roscommon-South Leitrim constituency. It was Galway-Roscommon this time.

Mental that FG seem to have become a far less conservative party than FF.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Found the IRL equivalent of those posters from 4chan.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...d-36949437.html

Indepentant.ie Website posted:

Two young American men, whose family moved from Washington State about a decade ago because they wanted to live in a country without abortion, have expressed their deep sadness at the emphatic yes vote.

Patrick Lauser (24) and his brother Josiah (19) who live near Cork Airport hail from a family of eight.

Patrick, who is now an Irish citizen, said he was shocked by the election result which he insisted was "rigged."

"People had their names taken off the register in the polling stations. And non Irish citizens were getting voter cards. What we have seen on the doors and from talking to people it doesn't match up. We have seen evidence of illegal dealing and rigging of the votes."

Speaking at the Ballincollig Count Centre in Co Cork, Patrick said he was passionate about the No vote on the basis that "people are people from conception on."

"People inside the womb should be protected as much as people outside the womb. Their rights should be defended. Generally people had a more predominant No from the doors. We are looking forward to the people in charge of the corruption being exposed."

Josiah said that he didn't know whether they would stay in Ireland and that it depends on whether the Yes side "get caught or not."

He insisted that there was a group of Italians in Ireland who were not citizens who received voting cards "out of the blue."

Josiah, who is being home-schooled in Cork, said he had heard of No voters who had gone to the polling booth to find they were "off register."

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Most of the No TDs have cleared the decks and signalled safe passage for the governments legislation, though McGrath did mumble something about supporting the legislation but possibly fielding some kind of amendments to hold varadkar to the "safe, legal and rare" promise in his speech

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

Found the IRL equivalent of those posters from 4chan.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...d-36949437.html

Ah the usual US hissyfit response, if it doesn't go your way its an Illuminati lizard CONSPIRACY!
IT WAS THE MEXIC-wait-ITALIANS THAT WERE BUSSED IN ACROSS COUNTRY LINES TO VOTE!

And 'homeschooled in Cork'. Living here too all I can say is 'lol good luck with that'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Italian immigrants always flood countries and vote for abortion rights. The pope makes them do it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

happyhippy posted:

Ah the usual US hissyfit response, if it doesn't go your way its an Illuminati lizard CONSPIRACY!
IT WAS THE MEXIC-wait-ITALIANS THAT WERE BUSSED IN ACROSS COUNTRY LINES TO VOTE!

And 'homeschooled in Cork'. Living here too all I can say is 'lol good luck with that'.

Also, why the gently caress is a 19yo being homeschooled lol

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised, was expecting the vote to be much closer but so pleased. Now if only the North would follow suit....that Cork family could join us up here in the 1970s the weathers been great lately.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

kustomkarkommando posted:

A nugget I must have missed last night:

I really don't get FG. I thought their whole schtick was that they were Christian Conservatives.

e: Maybe they attract a lot of libertarian types... :shrug:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

happyhippy posted:

Yes, I know very well of those anti-Catholic peoples who regularly undermine the Pope's doctrines - the... Italians?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Probably only thanks to Gerrymandering. In the Marriage Equality referendum, it was a Roscommon-South Leitrim constituency. It was Galway-Roscommon this time.

Mental that FG seem to have become a far less conservative party than FF.

FG historically have been more socially conservative than Labour, but they've always been a lot less socially conservative party than FF. Their core support base has traditionally been a lot more middle class than FF. It was DeV and FF who were fully in bed with the Catholic Church.

FG have always been too far to the right on economic issues, but their current Thatcherite neo-liberal views are an extreme even for them. Whenever Leo goes they might pivot back towards their more normal centre-right-ish economic views.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Bedshaped posted:

I really don't get FG. I thought their whole schtick was that they were Christian Conservatives.
No their schtick is that they're an upper-middle-class golf-club BMW-driving version of Fianna Fáil, with slightly less populism, slightly more right-wing economics and slightly less blatant corruption.

Irish political parties aren't divided neatly along socially conservative/socially liberal lines, partly because until the 80s everyone was socially conservative, partly because the divide was along other lines instead (i.e. level of soundness on the National Question).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I'm just going to take solace in the fact that Stephen Donnelly defected to the objectively incorrect party :smuggo:

• Locked thread