Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

nobody loving won anything. his fanbase is still rabid and cruel and his legacy is a shitshow.

And what, do you want him to tell them to stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Leal posted:

And what, do you want him to tell them to stop?
Yes? Though it might have worked better before his death.

Either way, no one here is praising or glorifying his death. But that doesn't stop his history and life from being free from scrutiny. No one said he was doing nefarious or illegal or reprehensible. He was just an rear end in a top hat and pretty open about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Yes? Though it might have worked better before his death.

Either way, no one here is praising or glorifying his death. But that doesn't stop his history and life from being free from scrutiny. No one said he was doing nefarious or illegal or reprehensible. He was just an rear end in a top hat and pretty open about it.

And again, you're throwing shade at a dead man. How is that being any less of an rear end in a top hat? Generally one should be the bigger man, but you all want to storm in to get your final licks in to a corpse.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It's not as if you can't criticize TotalBiscuit. Even if you remove gamergate from the equation, you can still grill him for acting like a smug know-it-all dick. I know that it was once brought up that ages ago, he used to post here on SA, and did some long diatribe about how he took an IQ test or something.

But cripes, like, wait a couple weeks, or a month or something.

Plus, if Slowbeef and Jim Sterling are willing to offer condolences to his passing, that must say something redeeming of him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whatever, I'm ducking out. Ya'll have fun calling a corpse an rear end in a top hat, I can see I'm not gonna convince you that there should should be more tact to a dead man, and you're not gonna convince me that you can be selective in which corpses are fair game to insult. Glory of the internet, everyone digs their heels in and screams "gently caress you" at each other.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/remembrancermx/status/999825419204415488

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Love 'em or hate 'em, TotalBiscuit's death provided a brief reprieve from people tut-tutting Dark Side Phil for not respecting video games enough in this thread. And for that I'm thankful.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Cancer is a motherfucker. Nobody deserves it, or death generally.

There are some other things that nobody deserves, but that some got anyway.

Nobody is obliged to feel any particular way, or say or refrain from saying any particular thing, today (the forum rules notwithstanding).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I feel hungry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Leal posted:

And again, you're throwing shade at a dead man. How is that being any less of an rear end in a top hat? Generally one should be the bigger man, but you all want to storm in to get your final licks in to a corpse.

Being dead doesn’t make you special and whitewashing someone is more disgusting as it’s actually harmful.

But if being morally superior is more important to you keep on being a sanctimonious shitheel.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
TotalBiscuit owned up to his mistakes and strived to become a better person, which he did. We should all be so lucky.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's middle ground between "Don't say anything ill about the dead" and "He's a shithead who deserved to die". I know, SA and the internet and all, but let's try to be respectful and use tact and not scream at each other. You can talk about his flaws/strengths and all that while keeping it civil and not diving into intense anger at the drop of a hat.

That said,

judge reinhold posted:

Love 'em or hate 'em, TotalBiscuit's death provided a brief reprieve from people tut-tutting Dark Side Phil for not respecting video games enough in this thread. And for that I'm thankful.

TotalBiscuit died for our sins.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

not sure how this relates to lovely GBS grave dancers and The Wokest Man Alive

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

not sure how this relates to lovely GBS grave dancers and The Wokest Man Alive

Yardbomb posted:

Never said anything like it's good he's dead, but it's incredibly uncomfortable to keep having "HE WAS A GOOD BOY, THE MOST ETHICAL GAMES MAN" shoved in my face all day when like, not only are the previously mentioned people's stories around but a friend got harassed like crazy too after some petty spat with them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Yeah, you aren't exactly being the paragon of virtue by taking this chance to tap dance on his grave and shout out that he's a terrible person and its good that he is dead.

Veneration of the dead, let the drama die with him, let the family and friends mourn, namaste

Leal posted:

Then whats your angle with bringing that stuff up? Surprise, when somebody that a person likes dies they say nice things about them. Jumping up on a soapbox and going "Well ACTUALLY" is nothing more then an attempt to bring down the mourners. Every time someone tries to pay their respects there is someone who barges in with "Actually he is a gigantic cock"

He's dead, the ultimate price was paid, what more do you want from him? You won that battle, the bad man is currently in a morgue getting a suit fitted and being put into a coffin. We can't even respect the dead these days, its loving despicable.

Max Wilco posted:

It's not as if you can't criticize TotalBiscuit. Even if you remove gamergate from the equation, you can still grill him for acting like a smug know-it-all dick. I know that it was once brought up that ages ago, he used to post here on SA, and did some long diatribe about how he took an IQ test or something.

But cripes, like, wait a couple weeks, or a month or something.

Plus, if Slowbeef and Jim Sterling are willing to offer condolences to his passing, that must say something redeeming of him.

Leal posted:

Whatever, I'm ducking out. Ya'll have fun calling a corpse an rear end in a top hat, I can see I'm not gonna convince you that there should should be more tact to a dead man, and you're not gonna convince me that you can be selective in which corpses are fair game to insult. Glory of the internet, everyone digs their heels in and screams "gently caress you" at each other.

Mega64 posted:

There's middle ground between "Don't say anything ill about the dead" and "He's a shithead who deserved to die". I know, SA and the internet and all, but let's try to be respectful and use tact and not scream at each other. You can talk about his flaws/strengths and all that while keeping it civil and not diving into intense anger at the drop of a hat.

That said,

TotalBiscuit died for our sins.

When Justice Scalia died I did a touchdown dance for what felt like 20 minutes straight.

Also, people here are shitpoting about a guy on a forum that's breaking the servers if 100,000 people log on at once. It's not like they're saying this stuff at his wife of Jesse and Dodger on Twitter like how when it turned out someone in ChannelAwesome was grooming other co-workers and broke-brained nutjobs then went to ask the victims if it's cool if they still like that guy's stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jamesman posted:

TotalBiscuit owned up to his mistakes and strived to become a better person, which he did. We should all be so lucky.

This, 100%. Even that IQ nonsense people love to bring up here, he joked about and took it in good stride.

DoctorWhat posted:

nobody loving won anything. his fanbase is still rabid and cruel and his legacy is a shitshow.

People utterly unrelated to him other than that they consume his content are bad, and his 'legacy' is bad. Are we talking about the same guy who very vocally slammed bad ports, DMCA abuse, undisclosed advertisements and sponsorships, did so much to support Starcraft 2 e-sports going so far as to fund his own team and running his own tournament? Yeah, he was a bit of a twat at times. Everyone is. Yes, he had strong opinions on certain things. Everyone does. And blaming people that he himself distanced himself from as much as possible? That's just daft.

But he was a person who did a lot for a lot of people. RIP TotalBiscuit. It was him mentioning the LP Archive, recommending the God Hand LP by Kung-Fu Jesus, that brought me here in the first place. And this is a place that loves to poo poo on him.

Jamesman posted:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This.

It's much healthier to ask why someone's taken a negative stance than to admonish them for taking it. Unless it's directed directly at them you're not helping a grieving family when you try and shut this stuff down.

It's also easy to say 'he apologized and grew as a person' if you're not someone who actually suffered abuse because of him.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, because TotalBiscuit was like TotalInternetHitler!
He caused so many poor little dudes and dudettes to be abused in the many ovens of the internet!
He was a NAZI! Or a Nazi supporter or some bullshit like that
He was a bad man, that caused bad bad feelings!
He said a mean thing on the internet!
His IQ was GENIUS level autistic

Doesn't that about cover it? I didn't like the dude, but the sperging at him after he died is loving hilarious. There are plenty of other people out there with good/bad opinions to talk about. This is literally beating a dead horse. If he'd done something truly heinous against people or the human race or whatever then cool. poo poo on him unto death...like Hitler and Stalin blah blah blah.

But he said things on the internet.

Big whoopidy loving do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Total Biscuit was NOT a horse!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

judge reinhold posted:

Total Biscuit was NOT a horse!

Redaction:

BMS posted:

This is literally beating a dead horse's rear end.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:chloe:

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

BMS posted:

Redaction:

I have to go bump that thread in C-Spam thanks to this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I for one shall mourn that horse's dead rear end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does the uncut commentary version of CC&GI’s new MGSV LP contain spoilers for later parts of the game?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Ariong posted:

Does the uncut commentary version of CC&GI’s new MGSV LP contain spoilers for later parts of the game?

Nah, it's just poo poo-shooting.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Considering the best parts of their LPs is Ironicus blindly reacting to things it's for the best too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Do chipcheezum and ironicus not post here anymore? I enjoyed a few of their lps.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ilmucche posted:

Do chipcheezum and ironicus not post here anymore? I enjoyed a few of their lps.

I think they left during the Great Bitchfit during the whole Shmorky fiasco.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dias posted:

I think they left during the Great Bitchfit during the whole Shmorky fiasco.

Yeah, Voidburger is the girlfriend of ChipCheezum, so its kind of a given they'd have to stop posting here.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Chip and Ironicus did post their Beyond Good & Evil HD LP here not too long ago, so I'm not sure why they decided to go LP Zone only this time around. I didn't really follow that thread, so I don't know if there was a bunch of shitposting going on or whatever.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I was pretty sure that the 'Beyond Good and Evil' LP was still here as of a couple months ago while that drama happened over a year ago at this point. I more figured that the LP Zone was more accommodating and he had a closer connection with that than these forums, and it's probably just easier to keep everything to one forum than trying to split it between two?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

discworld is all I read posted:

it's probably just easier to keep everything to one forum than trying to split it between two?
My LPs have no problems getting mostly ignored on both forums! :v:

(:reject:)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

My LPs have no problems getting mostly ignored on both forums! :v:

(:reject:)
I definitely know how that can be; does anyone know if reddit ever became more lenient with posting LP's? I seem to recall years ago that you couldn't 'advertise' your own LP's, which seemed to mean you couldn't post them yourself at all. It all had to be some word of mouth system or a fan posting a link to it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They still don't let you do it because reddit is stupid and their format is nonsensical. CJacobs cannot post his LPs on reddit, but his 'friend' JCacobs can just fine.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Even then, I can't imagine you would get any traffic if you could post lps there. It seems very much to be a place for LPers to trade SEO secrets.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I really don't get that aspect of it either. Is it really such a deep secret-they-don't-want-you-to-know that you can put your username and the name of the game in the tags and people will find your video easier? Surely it's obvious that putting "part 8" in the tags for part 8 of your let's play will make it show up in the recommended videos for part 7.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Personally I really don't get that aspect of it either. Is it really such a deep secret-they-don't-want-you-to-know that you can put your username and the name of the game in the tags and people will find your video easier? Surely it's obvious that putting "part 8" in the tags for part 8 of your let's play will make it show up in the recommended videos for part 7.

The goal of people on the LP subreddit is to become the next PewDiePie, Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, etc. They want to become famous and rich by playing video games because it means they don’t have to work a real job. SEO obsession is just one part of their general goal of fame and money, which they attempt to achieve through purely formulaic means.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

Chip and Ironicus did post their Beyond Good & Evil HD LP here not too long ago, so I'm not sure why they decided to go LP Zone only this time around. I didn't really follow that thread, so I don't know if there was a bunch of shitposting going on or whatever.

I don't actually know the LP Zone that well but I'm under the impression that it doesn't have a paywall so that makes it more accessible to people.

Also the weirdest part of Voidburger and Psych getting shadowbanned was that they were talking about how hosed up the Shmorky thing was but I'm mostly sure that neither of them actually tagged or @ed- or whatever the term is on Twitter- Lowtax they were just talking.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Clear up some terminology here:

Shadowban: Everything appears normal to you but your posts are not visible to others. A.K.A. Hellban. SA doesn't do this (I have heard of some creative things being done with user permissions but apparently those massively strain the server because radium). Twitter does though.

Panel Ban: When admins ban someone directly using the admin panel rather than using the punishment buttons on a post. This was done to Voidburger and PsychEyeball. This can create a rapsheet entry but I think only if a reason is specified, and it won't link to any post. (A telltale sign of a panel-banned user is that they retain their previous avatar but it turns into a link to their rapsheet. This is because radium. More specifically because the rapsheet-link thing is a feature of the "banned" user group but assigning the "banned" avatar is a part of the moderation action.)

As far as I know, neither VoidBurger nor PsycheEyeball are permabanned and are welcome to return for :10bux:. I don't think anyone ever told them this, though at this point it seems like that no longer matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
SEO is treated like an industry secret because ultimately, traffic is supposed to be routed to the place it is most relevant to the user, and, by extension, where it makes the companies the most money. i want to start it off by clarifying that in case someone finds it suitable to go straight to the whole 'greedy corporations late stage capitalism' place, because that's wildly irresponsible in this case. the ultimate goal of these algorithms is to fill peoples' days with stuff they want to watch 100% of the time, because if they want to watch things, they'll tolerate ads (not MANY more, people have a pretty binary limit) and those ads will be worth a lot more money to advertisers. i have actually written these algorithms so the motivation is not a mystery to me.

unsurprisingly, though, these algorithms are incredibly hard to reason about. when you make them too simplistic, nobody gets anything that is relevant to them, and when you make them too complicated, you can't provide good data to advertisers about predicted results and your analytics are a lot harder to make work properly. so the overall goal is an 'elegant simpleness' without being simplistic.

this balancing act inevitably leads to quirks that make the systems favor certain permutations of terms, certain hierarchies, etc. even the algorithm creators frequently don't know about these things, really - and if they did, they would probably try to engineer them out because these quirks are generally not desirable. they are not desirable precisely because it causes content that adheres to these arcane rules to go viral unfairly, which leads to a lot of resentment among creators and a lot of annoyed disinterest among viewers. these quirks are precisely the ones that gave PDP his current audience - in 2011, algorithms were written to absurdly favor content with what's called "velocity". that is, a certain number of users viewing things, and with a certain percentage of growth. 1000 views in a day isn't interesting if you already have 1 million views, but if you have 100, that's something to take note of, algorithmically speaking.

as a result, anyone who could post their poo poo hard enough back in 2011 got bang on effects by the youtube algorithms and got recommended to anyone looking at the same category. turns out that makes you 'go viral' pretty quick. cats who were banging out content on the reg and had a place to post it in 2011 (that is to say, NOBODY here, but PDP, crit1kal, etc) got huge benefits from this mostly-unintended SEO.

the thing is, after this was understood, the algorithms changed very quickly. "velocity" is not a very highly valued concept anymore precisely because herd exuberance really only gives positive results for memes that people can ignore trivially. this is why you still see the concept of what's 'trending' on twitter, but it's third or fourth priority on content delivery platforms like youtube or steam. when you're clogging up a content feed with stuff other people are arbitrarily excited about, engagement is low. this is why Steam will prefer to show you older games that match your tags, rather than new or popular releases (1 or 2 of the latter versus 6-8 of the former on any given day on the Store).

nevertheless, these quirks are presumed to exist. and if they exist, you really don't want too many people talking about them or using them, since the more publicized it becomes, the more likely the quirks are to change.

this is the rationale behind the attitude on reddit. now personally, the problem i have with all of this is that sure, we can definitely agree that these quirks exist, but the quirks are presumed to be able to give you the massive bang-on effects of 2011. this is a rather bold assumption with no real data. consequently, spending so much time trying to 'crack the code' is rather silly because there's no evidence that it would help you much, even if you had a clairvoyant understanding of the technology -which nobody does.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 28, 2018