Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

davidspackage posted:

Where is that strange polygonal gnome leading those hispanic children

Drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Servoret posted:

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Secret Wars II, especially the issue where the Beyonder learns the facts of life after he gets taken in by a pimp and his stable of prostitutes. Clearly the Comics Code Authority people had completely stopped giving a poo poo by 1986. (Speaking of poo poo, the issue before that is the one where Spider-Man has to potty train the Beyonder.)

I hate Secret Wars 2 because of how much it fucks with New Mutants, which at the time was the better X book.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

You might want to get a snack, 'cause this is gonna take a loong time. Thousands of years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1LV1IeG8U

One of my favorite characters/episodes. I always wanted posters of the art they used with the monkeys pooping on the toys and throwing them at predators.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanos knew.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I hate Secret Wars 2 because of how much it fucks with New Mutants, which at the time was the better X book.

I remember that there was some sort of weirdness, like they all technically were erased from existence by the Beyonder? I really liked the Sienkiewicz run, but I had stopped reading the book by the time that happened, so I don't know how that derailed it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It takes a hell of a bad day to need the ceremonial Eyepatch of Sorrow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Servoret posted:

I remember that there was some sort of weirdness, like they all technically were erased from existence by the Beyonder? I really liked the Sienkiewicz run, but I had stopped reading the book by the time that happened, so I don't know how that derailed it.

Beyonder spends an entire issue murdering all the new mutants one by one. its great

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

Beyonder spends an entire issue murdering all the new mutants one by one. its great

Yeah, then in the main Secret Wars II series he brings them back to life as his minions and they're all catatonic for the next few issues because he restored them with memories of being killed intact.

Except Dani Moonstar. As a former valkyrie, she was inspired to recover when she encountered Thor, who was a frog at the time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Random Stranger posted:

That's Secret Wars III. Which was somehow even worse than Secret Wars II, a thing that should not have been possible.

Secret Wars III's concept was solid: "Dr. Doom thinks he can ask The Beyonder, a uh totally reasonable person, for his memory back, and then remember how to steal Beyonder's power".

It was mostly talking and flashbacks to the memories Doom had left.

Servoret posted:

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Secret Wars II, especially the issue where the Beyonder learns the facts of life after he gets taken in by a pimp and his stable of prostitutes. Clearly the Comics Code Authority people had completely stopped giving a poo poo by 1986. (Speaking of poo poo, the issue before that is the one where Spider-Man has to potty train the Beyonder.)

You know, reading that series totally gels with Kurt Russell's Ego portrayal.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Green Lantern's reputation never recovered after that awful Ryan Reynolds movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

I think Green Lantern's reputation never recovered after that awful Ryan Reynolds movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Zahj8bC3I&t=55s

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hal Jordan's online reputation was never that great, just seems like the writers decided to feed on the hate.

edit:

I remember telling my sister about that gag back when the show was still airing but I never managed to actually catch it, until a day when she woke me up in the morning because the Green Lantern episode I talked about was airing. Good times, good show.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 28, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That and the fact that his power should be a chance to show off his imagination. *a fist, but really big*

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That and the whole "dated a 13 year old" thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BRRR oh yeah that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really inverted the whole "2,000 years old but looks like a child" anime trope.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The whole "She was really hundreds of years old" was a retcon by Geoff Johns to get and undo the damage.

Originally when the story came out, it was just one of those problematic Sci-Fi stories from the 80s where she was straight up underage*.

*= Just with the spin of "I used my ring to make myself legal."
And maybe a dash of "her planet rotates around her Sun twice ad fast."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's pretty funny/creepy to think that there was no one around to tell them that "No, I only *look* underage" is pretty bad, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Johns strikes me as a guy who doesn't think things through any further than the first hurdle. "OK, I fixed it, she's not actually a teenager" "Uh.... Geoff?" "I FIXED IT!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It messes with Uncanny a lot too, the fastidiously-ignored-ever-since arc where Wolverine kills Rachel flows out of Secret Wars 2.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What did Johns fix? The creepy “I might be 14 on earth but in my planet I’m 28” line was there from the get go.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Android Blues posted:

It messes with Uncanny a lot too, the fastidiously-ignored-ever-since arc where Wolverine kills Rachel flows out of Secret Wars 2.

He didn’t kill her but he straight up slashed her face and gutted her. Then she wandered through the forest until Spiral tricked her into being healed then wasn’t seen again until Excalibur like 3 years later.

That was one of the first X-Men comics I ever owned - came as part of a 25 pack collection of Marvel comics out of the Sears Wish Book. What a hell of an intro to the team....

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

GPTribefan posted:

He didn’t kill her but he straight up slashed her face and gutted her. Then she wandered through the forest until Spiral tricked her into being healed then wasn’t seen again until Excalibur like 3 years later.

That was one of the first X-Men comics I ever owned - came as part of a 25 pack collection of Marvel comics out of the Sears Wish Book. What a hell of an intro to the team....

Yeah, but he intended to kill her and would have succeeded if she hadn't held her gut wound closed with telekinesis and then been abducted by Spiral. It's definitely one of the low moments in the Claremont run.

Like, for those not familiar with the arc, Rachel decides that she's going to go and kill Selene in her sleep. Selene is a millennia old psychic vampire who uses the young as human sacrifices to preserve her youth, and explicitly is gunning for Rachel so she can enslave her/suck out her psychic powers. She's super evil and glories in murdering children. She's also the current Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.

Rachel successfully sneaks into Selene's room, Wolverine tracks her, and he (of all people) gives her the, "heroes don't kill, I'm not going to let you become like me!" speech. She says, "I don't care, I'm going to kill her," and Wolverine's response to that is to kill Rachel, a teenage girl, instead. Like, he would rather personally disembowel her than let her kill Selene. It makes zero sense and has been plastered over since, for the best.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also when Kitty hears that Wolverine killed Rachel she's like, "you're dead to me," something which was also plastered over and has never been brought up again since.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've always wondered if he intended that whole plot to develop in a much different direction. I know a lot of his long-term plans emerging out of UXM #200 involving Alan Moore's Captain Britain stuff were derailed, and since that whole Phoenix and Selene thing comes so closely after that, and since Rachel does end up being so important to Excalibur, I've always sort of suspected there was some connective tissue that got lost in the shuffle.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduke posted:

I've always wondered if he intended that whole plot to develop in a much different direction. I know a lot of his long-term plans emerging out of UXM #200 involving Alan Moore's Captain Britain stuff were derailed, and since that whole Phoenix and Selene thing comes so closely after that, and since Rachel does end up being so important to Excalibur, I've always sort of suspected there was some connective tissue that got lost in the shuffle.

There was meant to be a Phoenix miniseries detailing what happened to Rachel after Spiral abducted her, and it was far enough along that it was solicited in the back of Uncanny for several months, but it never actually came out. That's one piece of the puzzle, at least, but the intent when the story was written was for the miniseries to carry on Rachel's story directly. Instead she vanished for three years.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

chitoryu12 posted:

It takes a hell of a bad day to need the ceremonial Eyepatch of Sorrow.

Dude, half the people didn't vanish, you just put on an eye patch that blocked half your vision, they're still there!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

FoneBone posted:

this issue has a couple of my favorite panels ever (namely, panels 3 and 5 on this page)

Oh no! They had to put the TNT in space!

Wait how did they put a million tons of anything in space, in one go no less? Why did they paint the side of this million ton thing with the words TNT? How did the military manage to gather a whole tenth (or so) of US imports of TNT in any one place and package it without it accidentally exploding? Better yet what town was stupid enough to allow anyone to store 1 million tons of TNT near it during a space launch? That's the equivalent of one of the most powerful nukes in history. Also, what were they going to ignite the TNT with if there's no atmosphere?

I must think hard on this. :psyduck:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

There was meant to be a Phoenix miniseries detailing what happened to Rachel after Spiral abducted her, and it was far enough along that it was solicited in the back of Uncanny for several months, but it never actually came out. That's one piece of the puzzle, at least, but the intent when the story was written was for the miniseries to carry on Rachel's story directly. Instead she vanished for three years.

Yeah, he also wanted to push Wolverine to becoming a villain for a while, didn't he? I've heard about his idea for doing a "Dark Wolverine" story arc which would've had him fighting Colossus, who'd have ripped out his claws.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is the Atlas Marvel Boy. He has a flying saucer from Saturn, which is of course capable of hauling a million tons out of Earth's gravity with ease.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

This is the Atlas Marvel Boy. He has a flying saucer from Saturn, which is of course capable of hauling a million tons out of Earth's gravity with ease.

....can the cables that hold it up?

Wait, why are the cables falling down in space?

I need to stop thinking hard about this, this is Moon Dragon's fight.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

evilmiera posted:

Wait how did they put a million tons of anything in space, in one go no less? Why did they paint the side of this million ton thing with the words TNT? How did the military manage to gather a whole tenth (or so) of US imports of TNT in any one place and package it without it accidentally exploding? Better yet what town was stupid enough to allow anyone to store 1 million tons of TNT near it during a space launch? That's the equivalent of one of the most powerful nukes in history. Also, what were they going to ignite the TNT with if there's no atmosphere?

On that note, wouldn't it have been a lot easier just ask for a couple of nukes, rather than dealing with the logistics of one million tons of anything? I mean, that's the entire point of nuclear bombs in the first place. And the general did say, "Anything..."

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

How did the military manage to gather a whole tenth (or so) of US imports of TNT in any one place and package it without it accidentally exploding?

Even better, they did it in "SEVERAL MINUTES".

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Even better, they did it in "SEVERAL MINUTES".

I guess they were storing it just nearby. For safekeeping. In a giant box marked T.N.T.

(As for the logic of not using a nuke when that would be so much smarter, I'm guessing the author didn't want to include nukes in this kind of story, for kids and all that. Not that there aren't some particularly gruesome stories about T.N.T out there.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the very first comics I read was an Action Force annual that reprinted a GI Joe story.

In it Cobra build a concrete bunker underwater which has a sonic device which is killing all sea life around it.

The Joe's talk about how they'd have to use a nuke to blow it up. Instead they drop tons of conventional explosives on it so they get all the power of a nuke without any of the radiation.

Then they discover blowing it up triggered a fault line and creates Cobra island. Which was Cobra's plan and they have lawyers in all the world's nearby countries standing by to argue that Cobra Island is a new nation.

And that's how I learned about how Nukes are the equivalent to tonnes of explosives. And the idea of jurisdiction extending only so far from a country and how international waters comes to play.

God I love comics so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Johns strikes me as a guy who doesn't think things through any further than the first hurdle. "OK, I fixed it, she's not actually a teenager" "Uh.... Geoff?" "I FIXED IT!"

Johns is an great idea guy but he clearly gets ahead of himself and has to go back and retcon things he did just a year before. Just look at the mess of his GL run leading up to Blackest NIght.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Reading through Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Loving the writing and the art is growing on me. Also, she's woke as gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first sign everyone should have had that Thor was temporarily replaced by someone else.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So are DC writers dunking on Johns now by dunking on his golden green child every chance they get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

So are DC writers dunking on Johns now by dunking on his golden green child every chance they get?

Nah, you'll know the Johns era is over when terrible poo poo starts happening to Star Spangled Kid.