Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yinlock posted:

successful creatives go one or two ways, they either just soullessly sell out OR become bitter spiteful assholes who hate the good things they did with a passion(but will get mad if they're not making buckets of cash from it)

SOMETIMES the coin lands on it's side and you get people like mark hamill who just loves being luke skywalker at all times, but that's rare

Actually a lot of VA's love their roles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually a lot of VA's love their roles too.

Mark Hamill is a VA so that lines up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/quaternionxxx/status/998662240411631617

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quick, someone post the Kapool hammer gif. 'Rock beats scissors every time, dumbass!' :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm playing the gundam gacha game and occasionally come up against a gundam riding a horse. What's that about?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What game is it? It's not fuunsaiki is it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What game is it? It's not fuunsaiki is it?

It might be.

If so, that's Master Asia's and his horse. They both have Gundams they pilot with their martial art skills.

Yes. The horse is a martial artist. And yes. He does have his own Gundam.

G-Gundam is good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

It might be.

If so, that's Master Asia's and his horse. They both have Gundams they pilot with their martial art skills.

Yes. The horse is a martial artist. And yes. He does have his own Gundam.

G-Gundam is good.

Something I'd truly love to see out of Build Fighters/Divers is for someone to show up with a Fuunsaiki custom and reveal they have an actual horse controlling it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
They had to invent special nippers and files and airbrush for the horse to be able to build things, but dangit he loves gunpla.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I'd truly love to see out of Build Fighters/Divers is for someone to show up with a Fuunsaiki custom and reveal they have an actual horse controlling it.

Gunpla is freedom! It is not something that should be restricted, even to humanity!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What a horrifying thing to do to an animal.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Like it makes any difference, horses are horrified by everything anyway. Poor Freckles, thought of space and died.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

Quick, someone post the Kapool hammer gif. 'Rock beats scissors every time, dumbass!' :allears:

https://my.mixtape.moe/hymadi.webm

I only have this soundless version I made with /m/ in mind months ago, but I can do a sound version if you want?

sassassin posted:

What a horrifying thing to do to an animal.

As opposed to nailing some iron to it's feet, throwing some leather on it's back and then using it as a beast of burden in various ways for millenia? Or it's natural life style, which was presumably to walk around staring at cud all day, taking the occasional poo poo as it went and then sleeping so fitfully that a loud fart can give it a panic attack?

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 24, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

As opposed to nailing some iron to it's feet, throwing some leather on it's back and then using it as a beast of burden in various ways for millenia? Or it's natural life style, which was presumably to walk around staring at cud all day, taking the occasional poo poo as it went and then sleeping so fitfully that a loud fart can give it a panic attack?

Yes, definitely.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

tsob posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/hymadi.webm

I only have this soundless version I made with /m/ in mind months ago, but I can do a sound version if you want?

Sochie Heim, greatest pilot :smug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

Sochie Heim, greatest pilot :smug:

Not when Corin Nader exists.

https://my.mixtape.moe/acizvp.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/avgzei.webm

Though Loran does do something similar to Sochie's hyper hammer move earlier in the show too. He's just not nearly as smug about it, for better or worse.

https://my.mixtape.moe/bpftrd.webm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Random What If thought I had since I decided to do a rewatch of MSG today;

How would the rest of the OYW have gone if Denim had taken Slender into Side 7 instead of Gene, and thus hadn't escalated their recon mission into a combat one, as a result Amuro doesn't end up piloting the Gundam and Bright doesn't captain the White Base

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Probably not that much different, because Gene was right and Char was never going to let the Gundam just slide. He'd have organized an attack on the colony within a few hours himself and the Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank would probably have been in better shape with a more experienced crew on the White Base when he did it. There'd have been multiple instances of them even. And Char would still have had no weapons capable of damaging them. Amuro might not have made it to the cockpit, if he was killed or just wasn't as desperate to protect himself, Fraw and the other refugees but someone would and that someone would have had an overwhelmingly strong machine regardless.

Even later events wouldn't be that affected, since regardless of what happens the GM will be designed based on the Gundam and the Solar Ray will be used to devastate large parts of Zeon's forces. Odessa might have gone different I suppose, since Amuro may not have been around to identify the spy, but Revil's forces seemed capable of winning that even with Zeon's knowledge of their movements really. And even if they won, the Federation would still control enough of Earth to secure safe routing to space. Which means they can still reasonably assemble to attack Solomon. Which was won even before the Gundam took stage really.

Lalah and the Elmeth might have been able to make a difference there; but at the same time, a large part of the reason Char brought them in to the war at all was that he needed some kind of advantage against Amuro. Without Amuro to be his rival, Char might not have even brought her in in the first place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The diversion point there is probably whether that would affect Amuro falling into the Gundam or not.

It's possible that the GMs wouldn't have performed quite as well without Amuro's data in the learning computer even if it reached safety. It's also possible that without Amuro's natural talent, despite its near invulnerability at the outset of the war, one of the various attempts to stop the White Base might have succeeded; after all, it didn't take long for Char to realize that it was still quite possible for him to damage the Gundam even despite its ability to splash off normal Zaku weapons, and Ramba Ral was about a hair away from winning despite being seriously underequipped.

Without the white whale of the Gundam to chase, it's possible that a lot of seriously misspent resources(the time and lives of numerous ace-level pilots, various prototype wunderwaffen) could have not been spent or could have been redirected to actually useful purposes. You also have some major potential historical divergence points; without the White Base's journey happening as it did, you might bypass events like Garma's death(not because Char would have a change of heart, but because he wouldn't have the opportunity to set it up), which would dramatically change major aspects of the war.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

Probably not that much different, because Gene was right and Char was never going to let the Gundam just slide. He'd have organized an attack on the colony within a few hours himself and the Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank would probably have been in better shape with a more experienced crew on the White Base when he did it. There'd have been multiple instances of them even. And Char would still have had no weapons capable of damaging them. Amuro might not have made it to the cockpit, if he was killed or just wasn't as desperate to protect himself, Fraw and the other refugees but someone would and that someone would have had an overwhelmingly strong machine regardless.

Even later events wouldn't be that affected, since regardless of what happens the GM will be designed based on the Gundam and the Solar Ray will be used to devastate large parts of Zeon's forces. Odessa might have gone different I suppose, since Amuro may not have been around to identify the spy, but Revil's forces seemed capable of winning that even with Zeon's knowledge of their movements really. And even if they won, the Federation would still control enough of Earth to secure safe routing to space. Which means they can still reasonably assemble to attack Solomon. Which was won even before the Gundam took stage really.

Lalah and the Elmeth might have been able to make a difference there; but at the same time, a large part of the reason Char brought them in to the war at all was that he needed some kind of advantage against Amuro. Without Amuro to be his rival, Char might not have even brought her in in the first place.

Doesn't zeon just win by coup de main when Char sneaks into jaburo and plants bombs? Without the white base orphans there to find them, the bombs total the base and cripple GM production.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The war would last quite a few more years for Zeon because they were way, way, way ahead in the tactic of winning 1 Zeon to 1000 Federation. Ramba Ral, the Tri-Stars, and Chara Bull backing up Lalah to a severely crippled GM production would be horrendous for the feddies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

The diversion point there is probably whether that would affect Amuro falling into the Gundam or not.

I don't think Amuro needs to be in it for the Gundam to survive and make a difference. Especially if multiple Gundams survive because Gene doesn't shoot up the colony and Amuro isn't forced to melt the rest. If the White Base has 2 or 3 Gundams, plus one or more Guncannons and one or more Guntanks in working order from the off they'd be at least as effective against Char through sheer numbers and honestly, might just kill him through attrition.

Kanos posted:

It's possible that the GMs wouldn't have performed quite as well without Amuro's data in the learning computer even if it reached safety.

They don't need to really. The Federation had held the war to a stalemate for months with nothing but Saberfishes and other obsolete fighters. Even if the GM is half as effective, it's still way more effective than those fighters and that'll be enough to give the Federation the edge they need to win out the war. I doubt it'd even take much longer, because the Solar Ray was the major cause of victory at Solomon not the GM. And winning Solomon pushed Zeon right to the final defense line at A Baoa Qu.

Kanos posted:

It's also possible that without Amuro's natural talent, despite its near invulnerability at the outset of the war, one of the various attempts to stop the White Base might have succeeded; after all, it didn't take long for Char to realize that it was still quite possible for him to damage the Gundam even despite its ability to splash off normal Zaku weapons, and Ramba Ral was about a hair away from winning despite being seriously underequipped.

The only time Char could really damage it was in episodes 4 and 5, when he was using the Zaku II's heat hawk and bazooka, but those seemed to be relatively limited or something to say he didn't use them every episode after that point. It's also worth pointing out that without Gene blowing up the colony and leaving the White Base short crewed the ship might not have needed to go to Jaburo at all (I can't honestly remember why they needed to go to Jaburo in the first place, so someone else will need to confirm that), so Garma, Odessa etc. wouldn't be able to affect them. If the White Base isn't in Jaburo, then neither is Char. And if Char isn't there, then the GM production isn't affected with or without Kikka, Katz and Letz.

Kanos posted:

Without the white whale of the Gundam to chase, it's possible that a lot of seriously misspent resources(the time and lives of numerous ace-level pilots, various prototype wunderwaffen) could have not been spent or could have been redirected to actually useful purposes.

I think numerous is kind of overstating it really. It's Char, Ramba Ral and the Tri-Stars. That's kind of it. If they survived, none of them would make a difference at Solomon since none of them could do squat against the Solar Ray and the only time they'd be of major assistance is A Baoa Qu. Most of the mobile armors weren't actually that fantastic either. The Bigro, Adzam and Zakrello were never going to war winners on their own for instance. Even the Big Zam was horrific to slow units like ships at range, but was highly vulnerable to nimble mobile suits when they closed in. Amuro defeated it in seconds on his own, and didn't need any feature of the Gundam that the GM doesn't have or Newtype power to do it. It might take several GMs to down 1 Big Zam, but the Federation has those numbers so it doesn't matter.

Kanos posted:

You also have some major potential historical divergence points; without the White Base's journey happening as it did, you might bypass events like Garma's death(not because Char would have a change of heart, but because he wouldn't have the opportunity to set it up), which would dramatically change major aspects of the war.

What effect would Garma have on the war? I'd think him living would have a negative effect if anything, since Gihren was able to use his speech as a rallying cry to re-energize Zeon troops. Garma isn't a great leader or anything, so I can't see how his living would impact the war in any major way.

Tae posted:

The war would last quite a few more years for Zeon because they were way, way, way ahead in the tactic of winning 1 Zeon to 1000 Federation. Ramba Ral, the Tri-Stars, and Chara Bull backing up Lalah to a severely crippled GM production would be horrendous for the feddies.

They weren't ahead though. The war is at a stalemate for months by the time the show starts, during which time Zeon have had most of those aces. The presence of those aces with their wonder machines might tip it back in to a stalemate and draw out the war, but the Federation has the resources that they can afford it where Zeon can't. They also have the personnel to match Zeon after a time technologically, so even if the war lasted 2 more years because Zeon has funnels, then in 1.5 years the Federation will make fin funnels or something and probably win through attrition and superior resources.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

What effect would Garma have on the war? I'd think him living would have a negative effect if anything, since Gihren was able to use his speech as a rallying cry to re-energize Zeon troops. Garma isn't a great leader or anything, so I can't see how his living would impact the war in any major way.

Garma's charismatic, graduated top of his class at the academy, and managed the Earth attack force for months. We don't see much of it, but he's probably at least a capable commander. And losing a top general hurts, even if you manage to make some political hay out of it.

More than that, though, it's important that Garma is the nice Zabi. Unlike Gihren or Kycilia, he actually had some idea how to run a hearts and minds campaign, which would make counterinsurgency work much more of a pain in the rear end once the Federation started retaking the Earth.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finally got around to reading the plot to assassinate Gihren Zabi and drat I wish there was some more Gundam stuff like this. I really like the political/intrigue side of these stories.

All the little references were pretty cool, like them name dropping the events of war in the pocket.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

More than that, though, it's important that Garma is the nice Zabi. Unlike Gihren or Kycilia, he actually had some idea how to run a hearts and minds campaign, which would make counterinsurgency work much more of a pain in the rear end once the Federation started retaking the Earth.

Gihren was extremely effective at manipulating the public's hearts and minds though. Just because he did it through deceit doesn't make him less charismatic or effective.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Gihren was extremely effective at manipulating the public's hearts and minds though. Just because he did it through deceit doesn't make him less charismatic or effective.

He was excellent at manipulation Zeon hearts and minds. From what we see, Garma's the one who wanted to improve relationships with Earth's population. If memory serves, Gihren didn't give much of a poo poo on that front.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

They don't need to really. The Federation had held the war to a stalemate for months with nothing but Saberfishes and other obsolete fighters. Even if the GM is half as effective, it's still way more effective than those fighters and that'll be enough to give the Federation the edge they need to win out the war. I doubt it'd even take much longer, because the Solar Ray was the major cause of victory at Solomon not the GM. And winning Solomon pushed Zeon right to the final defense line at A Baoa Qu.

The Federation got its rear end kicked so far back on its heels at the outset of the war that their undisputed command of space was broken and the Earth was invaded by a lovely colony nation with a fractional percentage of their population and resources; they were on the verge of armistice before Revil's speech. They were holding the war to a stalemate only insofar as they weren't in existential danger; the war still could have been quite easily lost.

The GM won the war not only because the Federation built a bazillion of them, but because they built a bazillion of them and the performance gap between a GM and the various mass production machines Zeon was fielding wasn't that enormous. Fielding a giant army of half-power GMs would have solved precisely nothing; you'd then still be stalemated because Zeon can still leverage their dramatically superior individual units against superior numbers and achieve parity. Don't forget that Zeon was also making technological advances as the war went on, and if the war goes on for significantly longer than it did then you start seeing things like mass production Gelgoogs reaching the front lines before it's too late.

quote:

I think numerous is kind of overstating it really. It's Char, Ramba Ral and the Tri-Stars. That's kind of it. If they survived, none of them would make a difference at Solomon since none of them could do squat against the Solar Ray and the only time they'd be of major assistance is A Baoa Qu. Most of the mobile armors weren't actually that fantastic either. The Bigro, Adzam and Zakrello were never going to war winners on their own for instance. Even the Big Zam was horrific to slow units like ships at range, but was highly vulnerable to nimble mobile suits when they closed in. Amuro defeated it in seconds on his own, and didn't need any feature of the Gundam that the GM doesn't have or Newtype power to do it. It might take several GMs to down 1 Big Zam, but the Federation has those numbers so it doesn't matter.

Char's entire veteran squadron all died fighting the Gundam, as did Ramba Ral's entire veteran group. The Tri Stars were also quite a big deal; it's repeatedly shown that in mobile suit combat, ace pilots in strong machines can fight off and destroy many times their number. The goofy mobile armors might seem stupid and were obviously not war winners as singular entities, but deployed against grunts in mass production equipment(which is potentially worse, as stated above), they would have the potential of turning entire battles that could have been lost.

The point is largely that all of these incremental losses adding up helped contribute to shoving Zeon into retreat and back into space. Without this stuff happening Solomon and A Baoa Qu might not have happened in the first place.

quote:

Garma as an individual on the ground isn't that important.

Garma's death is important because it knocks the wind out of Degwin and simultaneously allows Gihren to further consolidate his political power base and harden Zeon's posture of total warfare against the Federation by using the cry for vengeance as a propaganda coup. Without this hardening of resolve and without Gihren effectively taking over the political power base in the Principality, it's possible that Zeon would become receptive to armistice and peace overtures while they still have a power base(they took a loooooot of land when they invaded Earth). This likelihood goes up if the war ends up dragging on if the GMs are shittier/less effective or Zeon is able to deploy powerful military assets at critical points because they didn't fly through the White Base Bug Zapper. An armistice which leaves the Zabi family in power and Zeon intact is effectively a victory for them even if it isn't world conquest and the destruction of the Federation.

There's also potential chaos factors like what Char's plans would have been if he didn't tip his hand and get temporarily thrown out of favor due to Garma's death.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 27, 2018

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is "what if the one year war kept going" the backstory of Gundam X or am I just making the wrong assumptions off of SRW Alpha Gaiden?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mimir posted:

Is "what if the one year war kept going" the backstory of Gundam X or am I just making the wrong assumptions off of SRW Alpha Gaiden?

Sort of.

It's not the One Year War proper, but it's intentionally very similar.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mimir posted:

Gundam X's backstory is less "what if the One Year War kept going" and more "what if both sides kept actively and vigorously warcriming each other until they got too exhausted to continue fighting rather than one side winning conclusively". There are a lot of other specific differences but that's the basic gist.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gundam X is very meh. but yeah the two sides wasted each other so hard people forgot space was a real thing anymore. newtypes are dolphins, but our hero ain't one he's just very empathetic and gentlemanly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Gundam X is very meh. but yeah the two sides wasted each other so hard people forgot space was a real thing anymore. newtypes are dolphins, but our hero ain't one he's just very empathetic and gentlemanly.
My impression, largely got secondhand, is that Gundam X involves a lot of people looking at the camera and saying Newtypes are mutant cripples. What's actually up with how it's presented there, if it's presented at all?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
General Revil is basically Space General Grant, he would have won without Amuro and White Base, it might have just taken more time instead.

Might have taken a Space General Sherman instead of Amuro.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what changes in the timeline would've occurred from amuro's dad not getting brain damage and continuing to contribute mobile suit science

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

what changes in the timeline would've occurred from amuro's dad not getting brain damage and continuing to contribute mobile suit science

Presumably he would have given amuro a piece of circuitry that would have drastically increased the Gundam's power.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

My impression, largely got secondhand, is that Gundam X involves a lot of people looking at the camera and saying Newtypes are mutant cripples. What's actually up with how it's presented there, if it's presented at all?

Basically, it's less that and more that almost everyone in the show is obsessed with newtypes. Jamil wants to find and protect them, several factions want to find and use them as weapons, the Frost Brothers want to find and kill them all. The big climax involves everyone going and talking to DOME, who is pretty much The First Newtype, who flat out tells everyone that newtypes aren't the future of humanity and they're all stupid for obsessing over them. It's a lot less clever than it's often portrayed and it's one of those things that is talked about because it's so subversive to the ideas behind UC newtypes rather than because it's interestingly written.

MonsieurChoc posted:

General Revil is basically Space General Grant, he would have won without Amuro and White Base, it might have just taken more time instead.

Might have taken a Space General Sherman instead of Amuro.

I've never really bought this interpretation because while "overwhelm them logistically with a tide of men and material" works when you're dealing with soldiers on foot with rough parity in capabilities, it doesn't work when you're talking about a universe where one guy in a mobile suit can blow up dozens without taking damage and you've got poo poo like the Elmeth which can kill fleets without even being seen.

In high tech wars between mobile suits, you need some level of technological and performance parity for numbers to matter at all. The Federation's resources and numerical advantage mattered because they managed to produce a thing that was good enough to not be slaughtered dynasty warriors style.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Titans win a total victory in the Gryps Conflict, Jamitov becomes Earth Dictator.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Amuro's data is hugely important. Without the data the GMs are just inexperienced pilots in a good mech, with the data they become inexperienced pilots with 500 hours of Zaku Murder attack sequences preloaded and a large proportion of MS combat is based on preset attack motions unless you're an ace.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Caros posted:

Presumably he would have given amuro a piece of circuitry that would have drastically increased the Gundam's power.

He'd still fall down the stairs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember Gundam X as being the least visually entertaining Gundam series. The animation just felt kinda lifeless, everything looked dull. I was probably watching like, VHS rip fansubs, so that couldn't've helped, but still.