Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I heard 160 points with thermal spear and stubber. Seems too cheap of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

I heard 160 points with thermal spear and stubber. Seems too cheap of anything.

Same as a jetbike captain, seems fine to me.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah no 160 would make them vendread priced that doesn't seem fair in comparison

I'd be fine paying like 200 for one with a punisher gatling cannon equivalent and either a good anti big stuff melee weapon or one that can make a ton of melee attacks.

Also make redemptors like 50 points cheaper

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

And the bike caps are probably better with hitting on 2s, are characters, have a 2+/4++ and don't degrade.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

And the bike caps are probably better with hitting on 2s, are characters, have a 2+/4++ and don't degrade.

Bike caps really need to go up, like maybe 20pts/model.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I'm curious what that'll do next balance pass to marines since thats cheaper than a contemptor, and WAAAAAY cheaper than a redemptor which is far worse than an armiger.

Also yeah definitely looking like im coming to peaceful negotiations, just need to sort a hotel or whatnot.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Another Walker Weekend entry. It's not quite finished and I've still got to brave making the custom decals I need, but it looks good enough for the table top

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

I'm curious what that'll do next balance pass to marines since thats cheaper than a contemptor, and WAAAAAY cheaper than a redemptor which is far worse than an armiger.

Also yeah definitely looking like im coming to peaceful negotiations, just need to sort a hotel or whatnot.

Yeah there's a whole lot of adjustment needed. T7 stuff in general needs to come down, as One_Wing said there's just far too much of it which is paying to be absolutely no tougher than a Raider against a lot of what they're facing.

Awesome!

Serotonin posted:

Another Walker Weekend entry. It's not quite finished and I've still got to brave making the custom decals I need, but it looks good enough for the table top

This is great. We need to get another game in so I can play these sweet looking Ad Mech. Maybe we could have an Ad Mech-off if I get these drat things finished painting.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

This is great. We need to get another game in so I can play these sweet looking Ad Mech. Maybe we could have an Ad Mech-off if I get these drat things finished painting.

I'd be up for that maybe next week? Only thing is my current list needs a major change, running two Armigers as it is. Although I'm holding out for the knight codex before I pull the trigger on any purchases. Ideally I want to squeeze in a second Onager and two more Dragoons by maybe dropping a Knight, but that might all change soon.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

OK here's all my Admech walkers in a family shot

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This is the weirdest power rangers reboot

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

I'd be up for that maybe next week? Only thing is my current list needs a major change, running two Armigers as it is. Although I'm holding out for the knight codex before I pull the trigger on any purchases. Ideally I want to squeeze in a second Onager and two more Dragoons by maybe dropping a Knight, but that might all change soon.

I have a game booked for Weds this week. Could maybe do the weekend or week after?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

I have a game booked for Weds this week. Could maybe do the weekend or week after?

Weekend could work, I will check diaries and hit you up on FB

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
Walker weekend!

Dreads

Imperial Knights!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been thinking a lot after my captain rampage yesterday and I’ve decided that dual Battalions are basically required for a pure Blood Angels list. Having 13cp means that I can both make use of utility stratagems like Armor of Contempt and still have enough to pop Red Rampage + Honor the Chapter on my characters multiple times per match.

After fighting three times in a single turn yesterday I still had 6cp left and the Sanguinor on the field. With the Red Rampage + Honor the Chapter + Only in Death does Duty end combo(costing 6cp) he could very easily turn around and wipeout the majority of my opponents remaining army by himself. It also means that starting stuff like Inceptors on the table to redeploy turn 1 using Upon Wings of Fire doesn’t feel quite so painful as it had before since I more than enough command points to spare.

Consequently I’ve been thinking a lot about how to build the second Battalion and I think I’ve settled in Scouts. How are the other BA players here running theirs? I’m sort of leaning toward Bolters and Heavy bolters but those combat knives are very tempting.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. A -1 to hit is a flat reduction. An invulnerable save is a flat reduction. Armor saves are variable with the weapon's AP. Depending on the weapon increasing toughness can have no effect.

It's been a year and GW still hasn't really grasped that.

So does this significantly diminish things such as Plasma Inceptors?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Posting on a fine Walker weekend.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
If the next posting event isn't Jump-Pack-June, I'm outta here.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

So does this significantly diminish things such as Plasma Inceptors?

Yup, when you're relying on plasma and your opponent is leaning heavily on - 1s to hit life is pain.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Enentol posted:

If the next posting event isn't Jump-Pack-June, I'm outta here.

Jokaero June, sorry. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Yup, when you're relying on plasma and your opponent is leaning heavily on - 1s to hit life is pain.

A -1 to hit doubles your chances of killing yourself. Against BS4 it also increases your miss chance by 50%. I would argue that the only effect that's more powerful are modifiers to the wound roll due to how the wound chart is structured.

Felime uses a pair of psykers on Pask to make him a really tough target with Nightshroud and Psychic Barrier.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm hoping for Skellerday, personally.

Jimmysip
Aug 27, 2012
My poor effort for walker weekend.The first model I used magnets on and those legs are a lot of fun to pose!

I was really pleased with myself when I did this but it just looks really bland now I look at it a couple of years later. Adding another two to my force soon so I thought I'd have a repaint. Any ideas to improve would be appreciated.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Jokearo June (aka monkey month), Jumping July, Ahh Gotta Get My Army Finished for NOVA August, Slaanesh September (w/ boobcrons)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A -1 to hit doubles your chances of killing yourself. Against BS4 it also increases your miss chance by 50%. I would argue that the only effect that's more powerful are modifiers to the wound roll due to how the wound chart is structured.

Felime uses a pair of psykers on Pask to make him a really tough target with Nightshroud and Psychic Barrier.

It's got one of the reasons I lean so heavily on chronus, base bs2+ on big guns let's you blow away fliers and other things relying on to hit modifiers to live.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Jimmysip posted:

Adding another two to my force soon so I thought I'd have a repaint. Any ideas to improve would be appreciated.

I'd say some sort of bright accent color. What you've got there looks solid, but it's uniformly dark. If you're adding another 2, its a perfect time to give them some sort of squad marking, a bright stripe down one side (like the black stripe on my leviathan), or pick out a panel and do a pattern on it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

It's got one of the reasons I lean so heavily on chronus, base bs2+ on big guns let's you blow away fliers and other things relying on to hit modifiers to live.

It's a solid choice. I want to explore more with Aggressors because of the quantity of shots they can get.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a solid choice. I want to explore more with Aggressors because of the quantity of shots they can get.

Your best solution to negatives to hit is flying dudes with big hammers.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

gently caress yes it is.

Edit: Flying psykers with halberds or burning swords are also a good choice.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 27, 2018

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

God drat this Knight codex is going to be rad

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

Primaris Bros can't figure out hammers. Once they do ... look out boys!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Matgash posted:

Walker weekend!

These are all beautiful! Nice job!

IS THAT A DANG KNIGHT GRAPPLING HOOK????

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BaconCopter posted:

These are all beautiful! Nice job!

IS THAT A DANG KNIGHT GRAPPLING HOOK????

It's a harpoon. Supposedly heavy 1 doing 2d6 with rerolls to hit against big things, and possibly a melee profile too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Artum posted:

I was really hoping to go but the only army I have any chance of painting 2k points worth is GK and gently caress paying good money to play tournament gk. I'd rather take a claw hammer to my glans. Maybe next year.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Even GW is getting in on walker weekend: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/27/all-knights-great-and-small/

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Is this all out in one week? Leaves a week before AoS for kill team hopefully.

Any prices known for the Knight stuff?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Thundercloud posted:

Is this all out in one week? Leaves a week before AoS for kill team hopefully.

Any prices known for the Knight stuff?

A kidney, your liver to.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Negative hit modifiers stand out as an oddity in what is otherwise an edition marked by simplified rules with gradients rather than hard prohibitions.

The Strength/Toughness table was abolished in favour of the simplified (doubled +2, greater +1, equal 0, lesser -1, half -2). While every army has an intended way to wound high toughness units, any unit can do it in a pinch at the expense of decreased efficacy.

With negative hit modifiers, the choices to counter them are limited. Get close? Succeed on a Deny the Witch roll? That's about it, because positive hit modifiers are rare, ignoring negative hit modifiers is even rarer.

And -2 negative to hit isn't tough to achieve, in a game where lots of armies only hit on 4+ and some only hit on 5+.

They're a bad, or at least improperly executed, design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My LGS has been very light on terrain, so I've decided to whip up a set of semi-simple rocky grassland terrain for a full board on the cheap.

With the benefit of having various terrain pieces laying around, the whole thing is less than $40:

Thanks to buffalochicken's fantastic idea of using vinyl tiles, making thick/heavy terrain bases is super cheap and easy. It's $1.29 per 18"x18"x tile. Official GW terrain-wise, the gold-painted statue was the first-place trophy for a tournament years ago and the battalion was given to me by a GW manager after he managed to lose some terrain I brought him when he first opened his store and had nothing.

The rocks were created using "Great Stuff" insulation foam spray, and then cutting them back at odd angles with an exacto knife. Afterward, the edges were glued down (some had to be pryed back a bit because the insulation curing process pulled the vinyl up) and covered with gravel:

Next, the whole thing was hit with black primer and sing six apple barrel paints and a large wide brush I laid down a few layers for soil and ground-stones and for the rocks and accompanying stones:

Finally, I did a few additional touch-ups and a final drybrush of white on the rock peaks, laid down a surrounding bed of fake grass on each and added in some alien fronds growing from occasional nooks for a little more life:

It's not the most sophisticated, but it gets the job done, has plenty of LOS-blockers, and was inexpensive enough that I could go wild with pieces without worrying about supplies. The final picture is about 1/3 of the final amount but I ran out of fake grass so that's all the finished ones I have until my order comes in.