Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

My first kayak was an early fishing kayak bought out before much thought went into the design and a couple of flush mount rod holders added to s sit on top touring kayak was considered sufficient.

This kinda what my fishing kayak (Future Beach Angler 144) is. It works well enough for what I need it to do and I'm quite happy with it since it matches my novice-level fishing skill, but I'd love a Hobie, Old Town, or Native to pedal around/stand up/go offshore in. But I don't have thousands of dollars and fishing in what I have is better than in my other kayak (Necky Rip 12). Someday I'll make an upgrade!

Do you put them on a roof rack or the back of a truck/ute? Mine are light enough to go on a roof rack, if I had a nice expensive kayak I imagine it'd be difficult to lift over my head and put on top of the car by myself unless I stop lying to myself and actually go to a gym regularly.

Hooplah posted:

Added bonus- I found some morels in a different park

Please post pics of whatever you end up cooking with these weird-looking (but tasty according to Wikipedia) mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Danthrax posted:

This kinda what my fishing kayak (Future Beach Angler 144) is. It works well enough for what I need it to do and I'm quite happy with it since it matches my novice-level fishing skill, but I'd love a Hobie, Old Town, or Native to pedal around/stand up/go offshore in. But I don't have thousands of dollars and fishing in what I have is better than in my other kayak (Necky Rip 12). Someday I'll make an upgrade!

Do you put them on a roof rack or the back of a truck/ute? Mine are light enough to go on a roof rack, if I had a nice expensive kayak I imagine it'd be difficult to lift over my head and put on top of the car by myself unless I stop lying to myself and actually go to a gym regularly.

I just car top them. The Stealth is actually longer than the car. I put some padding on the roof at the back of the car, lift the bow of the kayak onto that then pick up the stern and slide it on. It's very easy because you're only lifting one end of the kayak at a time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got my free steel boat home. Free boats are the most expensive kind.

Going to hammer the Walleye in it this fall, I'm hoping.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
gently caress that's going to take a bit of work to get fixed up. It's free though which is the important thing. Is it actual steel or aluminium? Because steel would be pretty heavy for a boat I would've thought.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Made by Tilbury Steel, in Ontario :canada:.

We had to drag it almost 100' across my mom's lawn to the trailer, so I can confirm it is heavy as all gently caress. Probably 400-450lbs dry.

Advantage is, I can run this through 1-2 inches of ice I'm being told (although I won't), so the winter season can be pushed a little further back.

I got a free 9.9 Johnson out of it from my mom as well, so we're halfway there. My fishing buddy knows someone who sandblasted for cases of beer, so we're probably going down that road.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That is the most :black101: fishing boat, and I am stoked to see what you do with it! 450 lbs dry, god drat. Fill that bastard with Walters.

Hooplah: Excellent fish pics, and there is The Mushroom Megathread 2018 that could use some more traffic if you hunt for those often. Those morels look delicious.

GPD: Holy gently caress sharks, and holy gently caress I would be making GBS threads myself to be that far offshore in a kayak. Thank you for posting so much cool poo poo in this thread that I'd never otherwise get to see, and I hope you find those huge perch in that river!

It's a beautiful day today and it's starting to stay light out until like 9, so I'm taking a buddy fishing after work. We'll probably try for some trout at the local lake, but the tide will be coming in this evening and I've been wanting to target flounder and maybe accidentally catch a greenling. Very hard decisions to make today.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A nice evening on one of Lake Washington's many piers. I lost my bottom rig immediately, so I switched it up for a worm and bobber since that's what everyone else on the pier was using. My buddy caught a nice rock bass that didn't want to stick around for a picture, and I lost two solid bites because I'm not used to/too stupid to get a good hookset with a bobber. I'm very glad that nobody was behind me when I tried. We fished until almost 10, when it was too dark to tie knots and the bugs were too thick to stay.

Lake Washington is lousy with fish and I can't wait to spend some time on the water when I get the USS Fredo. Piers are better than nothing but god drat I want a boat.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Hooplah: Excellent fish pics, and there is The Mushroom Megathread 2018 that could use some more traffic if you hunt for those often. Those morels look delicious.

Lmao, of course we have a mushroom thread. I should've known. I haven't done much hunting yet but I love walking in the woods and eating things I gather, so I mean to do it more. Dovetails nicely with fishing. Thanks for the tip!

Honestly with morels I have a very hard time doing anything but frying them up on their own with butter and a dash of tamari. They are so delicious.

Caught my first tiny crappie of the season!

And (almost) my first largemouth ever. I was using four pound test on my ultralight and horsed him a bit too hard trying to lift him out of the water and my line broke at the hook. I even had a hand around his back, but he slipped through. Fun fish! I had no idea he was even around, I was jigging a chunk of worm looking for crappie when he hit my jig.

Yesterday I went to a local lake but caught nothing but tiny sunnies. I'm getting a bit demoralized and feeling limited with no way to get on the water. There's a ton of lakes in the twin cities area, but fishing from the shore on an unfamiliar lake with people all over kinda sucks. I can't tell how deep I'm fishing from 30 feet away, or where the good holes might be. These are probably novice issues, but I've only ever really fished from a boat or on the ice with other people pointing out the good spots for me, so this comparatively feels like a waste of time. Do other shore fishermen feel this way? Is this why ya'll have kayaks and boats?

I'm mostly asking about freshwater panfish and walleye. I'm not really interested in bass, and I'm already super jealous of saltwater fishing.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I go to YouTube to kill some time since my job is horribly boring... and what do I see in the recommended videos!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCw3HOMc99c

THE DICK LURE.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I'm loving all these posts guys!

I got a membership to Mystery Tackle Box for Christmas last year, and the poo poo has just been piling up in our outside closet for 5 months now. I woke up uncharacteristically early this morning, so I decided I would take that junk out with a spinning rod (which would be the first time I had used one in about 3 years) and catch some fish to cook up for dinner. I strung up grandpa's old 5' ultralight spinning rod (from like the 60s or 70s I'm guessing... ultra high tech graphite! ball bearing technology!) with some 2lb fluorocarbon and hit up Black Rock Lake State Park at about 7:30, which was pretty cool.

It was also completely busted, and I couldn't even catch one of the bream chilling by the dock with the bullshit jar of licorice scented marshmallows I had gotten from MTB, although the ducks seemed interested. I hosed around up there for about an hour and a half with no results, except I found this sign which is so hilariously misinformed that it must've been put up by executive order from the Trump administration.

Rain was in the forecast for 11, but I decided I would change up and go to the West Fork of the Chattooga. I text one of my buddies, who said he'd meet me up there for a few casts until the thunder started. I knew it had been stocked a week ago, but it normally gets pounded really hard. I thought it would pretty much be picked clean, and that we might catch a couple of trout and maybe a smallie or two before getting rained out. Well, the weather held, and the day turned out to be pretty epic! We fished maybe a 100yd stretch of river and brought about 30 trout to net in 3 hours. I guess the lovely weather we have been having kept the Redneck Rippers off the water. I was comically inept with the spinning tackle and missed the first 5 takes (Ben fly fished and just absolutely slayed, although he did pick up my rod and miss 2/land 1 which made me feel better), but after that I kinda got back in the saddle. When I got that first fish in my hands, though, after catching and releasing like 1000 of them over the past year, I could not bring myself to put it in the creel. Holding a trout, reviving it and releasing it is always a really grateful and emotional experience for me, and I couldn't get out of that mindset. Hopefully next time I can get over my poo poo, cause I have a lot of recipe ideas, and I really wanna get one of those dudes in a pan. Plus, somebody else is gonna eat these trout anyway.

Now I'm crushing a $13 salad from Ingles cause I don't have any trout to eat and getting drunk off Bell's Two Hearted. Pretty sick day tbh. The ultralight spinning setup was no less fun to land trout on than my 3wt fly rod, and at one point I was fishing with a couple of my nymphs behind a split shot. And it worked!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 23, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do fish hang out in pools under dams?

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do fish hang out in pools under dams?

Oh gently caress yeah! Trout especially love the cooler water that comes from below the thermocline, plus it's really oxygenated

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 23, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Honestly with morels I have a very hard time doing anything but frying them up on their own with butter and a dash of tamari. They are so delicious.

Caught my first tiny crappie of the season!

And (almost) my first largemouth ever. I was using four pound test on my ultralight and horsed him a bit too hard trying to lift him out of the water and my line broke at the hook. I even had a hand around his back, but he slipped through. Fun fish! I had no idea he was even around, I was jigging a chunk of worm looking for crappie when he hit my jig.

Yesterday I went to a local lake but caught nothing but tiny sunnies. I'm getting a bit demoralized and feeling limited with no way to get on the water. There's a ton of lakes in the twin cities area, but fishing from the shore on an unfamiliar lake with people all over kinda sucks. I can't tell how deep I'm fishing from 30 feet away, or where the good holes might be. These are probably novice issues, but I've only ever really fished from a boat or on the ice with other people pointing out the good spots for me, so this comparatively feels like a waste of time. Do other shore fishermen feel this way? Is this why ya'll have kayaks and boats?

I'm mostly asking about freshwater panfish and walleye. I'm not really interested in bass, and I'm already super jealous of saltwater fishing.

One of my fishing buddies is an avid mushroom hunter. Sometimes during a surf fishing lunch break he'll bust out his camp stove and a big ziplock bag of morels and sautee them in butter. We eat them with toothpicks out of the pan.

The rest of your post is pretty much describing my fishing life right now. I am scouting lots of local lakes and looking for favorites, and there doesn't seem to be much substitute for putting the time and practice in. If you can find any bathymetric maps of lakes you want to check out they can help you find the deep parts. If you're most interested in panfish and walleye it seems like getting off the shore is pretty crucial. A float tube is probably the cheapest option, but that won't do poo poo for you in ice. I cannot express how much I like my fish finder, too. It's the first one I've ever had in my life and it really neat to be able to have an idea of what's going on below you.

Also if you ever find yourself in western Washington and want to fish saltwater, you know a guy.

joem83 posted:

I go to YouTube to kill some time since my job is horribly boring... and what do I see in the recommended videos!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCw3HOMc99c

THE DICK LURE.
:bisonyes: I wanna see that ITT!

Chuck, you catch trout how I want to catch trout. Beautiful pics and beautiful fish.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Chuck, you catch trout how I want to catch trout. Beautiful pics and beautiful fish.

Come to Georgia, bud. River trout are like, the most extremely wary fish ever. If they see anything that doesn't look right, it's game off. Visible monofilament over like 6lb? Peace. Some jerk off wearing a brightly colored t-shirt shirt by the river? Bye. Some drunk guy yelling? Another time. 3 fat rednecks floating by on inner tubes? Sorry. But ironically once you know how not to gently caress up, they are super easy to stunt on in high numbers. If those same 3 rednecks were quietly drinking Natural Ice and wearing Realtree on the bank instead, it might be dinner for 20

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 23, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Anyone in Boston want to catch bass?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Come to Georgia, bud. River trout are like, the most extremely wary fish ever. If they see anything that doesn't look right, it's game off. Visible monofilament over like 6lb? Peace. Some jerk off wearing a brightly colored t-shirt shirt by the river? Bye. Some drunk guy yelling? Another time. 3 fat rednecks floating by on inner tubes? Sorry. But ironically once you know how not to gently caress up, they are super easy to stunt on in high numbers. If those same 3 rednecks were quietly drinking Natural Ice and wearing Realtree on the bank instead, it might be dinner for 20

So you're saying I shouldn't wear my lucky shirt?

I have family in South Carolina, so it's not impossible that I might take you up on that offer at some point. I'd probably learn so much about fly fishing that I'd feel like I owed you money.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

So you're saying I shouldn't wear my lucky shirt?

I have family in South Carolina, so it's not impossible that I might take you up on that offer at some point. I'd probably learn so much about fly fishing that I'd feel like I owed you money.

lmao nah, please wear it

edit: when my doughy rear end looks at GPD pics it feel like a nightmare where I'm just paddlin' frantically to get back to that distant cityscape/shoreline but I don't make no progress and give up n then all of a sudden it's all life of pi n poo poo

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 24, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I picked up some of the Jackall Gavacho frogs on the recommendation of a guy from the SDfish forums, they look great! The hooks are bent upwards, pretty cool. Gonna test em out on Saturday morning.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I picked up some of the Jackall Gavacho frogs on the recommendation of a guy from the SDfish forums, they look great! The hooks are bent upwards, pretty cool. Gonna test em out on Saturday morning.

That's really cool. So it's like a frog popper? The upward-bent hook is neat and seeing it now it's kind of surprising that there aren't more lures with hooks positioned that way. I'm stoked to hear how it treats you!

Anybody else going out this weekend? Tomorrow morning I'm picking up some lead to melt. I've been stockpiling molds and paint so I guess I should actually make some poo poo, but I want to spend as much time on the water as I can. I don't have enough poo poo to complain about right now so I'd really like to be able to bitch about all of the fish that I have to clean.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

That's really cool. So it's like a frog popper? The upward-bent hook is neat and seeing it now it's kind of surprising that there aren't more lures with hooks positioned that way. I'm stoked to hear how it treats you!

Anybody else going out this weekend? Tomorrow morning I'm picking up some lead to melt. I've been stockpiling molds and paint so I guess I should actually make some poo poo, but I want to spend as much time on the water as I can. I don't have enough poo poo to complain about right now so I'd really like to be able to bitch about all of the fish that I have to clean.

I always bend my hooks up a bit, but this is the first time I've seen them bent like that. I've got a couple other ones like it, with the cupped face. You can pop em hard if you wanna pop, or you can fish them like a normal frog. I think it actually helps them walk a bit better.

I noticed on the back of the package that it says they coat the hooks in fluoride for easier penetration. I was like, "What in the H-E-dub... I'll just trust that the Japanese know what they're doing."

I'm hoping for some bluegill tomorrow, maybe more so than bass. That one I caught a few weeks ago was so much fun. I'm going armed with my H (frogs), MH (flukes), and my UL (mini jigs and swim baits).

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

No bites on the frog, but it is exceptional. It weighs 2/3 oz so it casts far and it also walks extremely well. Was a nice day, had a great time! I spent most of my time here.

I landed 3 today. Nothing big, but they were all caught on my ultra light, so they were exciting. My slogan I came up with today: I fish for the fun, not for the big one! This was the biggest.

For the pictured fish, I did feel like a pro. I saw some bait fish break water right in front of me, threw the tiny bait fish lure into it, bit immediately. Was nice to not get lucky, but to actually fish correctly.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 27, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That's the best when you put all your fishing detective clues together and make the catch. :boom:

We spent 7hours in the boat today and came back with 9 fish. My wonderful wife even made a pit stop off at a nearby dock with tea and coffee for us when we were a few hours into drifting back and forth.

Bucket o' fish.

I got my limit of six, and my partner only three. I also had the largest in my pile at 21.5", and he had smallest at 16", which was the last one in the boat when we were drifting super deep (40'+ versus our normal 18-25')for shits when getting back to our launch ramp dock.

I loving love this rod.

I regretted not getting the 2piece for convenience at first, but I have come to love the 1pc Fenwick med-light rod. When I hang a 2oz bottom bouncer off of it and drift, I can feel every rock I'm skipping over, the jumps in between, and drop offs. It gently loads up when drifting along, with very predictable loadup along the resistance range for snags, weeds, and fish. The fish were biting so softly today, I think it made a huge difference in getting the fish on the hook to reach my 6 fish limit.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Do you get the... I can't really come up with a better word for it right now... motion of the ocean stuck in your head? When I spend time on a boat, I inevitably feel like poo poo afterwards because every time I close my eyes I can feel the boat rocking still.

Re: one vs two piece rods, I love one piece rods way more than two. One time I had the second half of my rod fly off on a cast in front of several strangers; I felt like such a greenhorn. Now I get paranoid and check my rod every so often when I use my two piecers.

Man, living on the edge! You use 2 oz weights on a medium light rated to 5/8? That would give me many anxieties. I guess if you're trolling and not casting then it's fine though.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 27, 2018

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

joem83 posted:

Do you get the... I can't really come up with a better word for it right now... motion of the ocean stuck in your head? When I spend time on a boat, I inevitably feel like poo poo afterwards because every time I close my eyes I can feel the boat rocking still.

Not only do I get that, if I spend a whole day tight line nymphing, when I close my eyes to go to sleep I see, like, visually, a stream bed with water flowing over it and my pink and chartreuse sighter dancing on top of it

e: I think you just need to spend more time on boats and learn to love it

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 27, 2018

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Finally got a chance to try out the tenkarabum traveler I got.

Staying on a lake for the weekend and figured I wouldn’t get anything but could at least get comfortable with casting (after spending two hours relearning knots...). Wasn’t expecting anything as people were swimming and kayaking around the dock.

Pretty quickly got a bite from a bluegill or crappie, then a very small bass and another panfish.

Really excited to try this other places- it’s as easy to pack as I hoped and quick to learn

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

joem83 posted:

Re: one vs two piece rods, I love one piece rods way more than two. One time I Man, living on the edge! You use 2 oz weights on a medium light rated to 5/8? That would give me many anxieties. I guess if you're trolling and not casting then it's fine though.

If the rod bends too much, the drag system is set to let the line run. You're right about casting with it though. I've wailed the poo poo out of some 3/8oz jig heads and that's about my comfort level max with it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A blast on the creek today.

brown!

bow!

another bow!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

A blast on the creek today.

brown!

bow!

another bow!

:swoon:

I see the best trout in this thread. Such pretty fish.

Took my buddy to Green Lake this morning and I caught a little rock bass. My friend caught three little stockies, but none worth keeping or showing. He hadn't fished in fifteen years, but I rigged him with a worm under a bobber and he was outfishing my bottom rig all morning.

The bite that I lost was way more interesting than the fish I caught, though. I was fishing a couple of power eggs a few feet off the bottom and line started peeling off my reel. I tried to let the drag do the work to tire it out, but I was using a 4lb leader and the fish made quick work of it. I thought that it might have been one of the 4-6lb steelhead that were stocked in March, but some passing rando was like, "Naw, that's a carp. Prolly 35 pounder." :stare:

I didn't know that carp would take power bait, and I have no way of knowing how much it weighed, whatever it was. I'm not even bummed that I lost it; I knew that it would be a loving miracle if I ever got it to shore. Still, it was nice to catch fish today and to have that rare brush with the proverbial big one.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 29, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Posting a fish that I saw on BBC's Africa:

The golden catfish! Lives in an underground lake in the Namib desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarias_cavernicola

POK, you should go carp fishing. It was a lot of fun the one time I went!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Posting a fish that I saw on BBC's Africa:

The golden catfish! Lives in an underground lake in the Namib desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarias_cavernicola

POK, you should go carp fishing. It was a lot of fun the one time I went!

Oooh, blind ghost cave catfish!

Has anybody caught a less exotic catfish lately? The same rando that told me about the carp told me about huge catfish in the same lake. I know they stock some channel catfish in there, but duder claimed to have caught some 10lb+ ones. And I think that I will try carp fishing. I usually target fish that I want to eat, but fighting a big poop trout sounds like a good time.

Random trivia: Fenwick rods were named after Lake Fenwick, about a half hour from where I live. It's barely over 17 acres, so I think it's an excellent candidate for the ODC 420. I'll post some pics of the lake, and hopefully some of the "abundant yellow perch" that the WDFW claims to be there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Go forth and find the poop trout!

We went out tonight and got some Walters and one of those yellow perch.

Pulling that big 22” one in felt amazing on that fast action rod. One of my favourite fishing purchases.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
The main question I have been popping to fishermen I meet lately is "Hey, so uhh, where the carp at"

The only thing I caught this week was 20" of rain, but I'm fixin' to start tying up some Clouser's and poppers for summer bass

e: I have always dreamed of catching a catfish on the fly, but every strategy I have come up with is really grizzly when you try to describe it:

"What did you do today?"

"Oh, n/m, I caught a couple bluegill, cut them up in to pieces and wrapped them up in a pillowcase. Then I tied a length of rope to it, threw it out in the lake as a chum bag and cast streamers toward it. I didn't catch poo poo, though, so I guess really I just chopped up some fish for my own amusement."

":catstare:"

The most realistic plan, I think, is to just keep fishing Lake Tugalo, which is (was?) a renowned catfish fishery, for bass, and hope that I hook into one by accident. I haven't caught a catfish in about 12 years. We used to wreck them outside the water treatment plant on live minnows, though. Cleaning those fuckers is probably what made me into an enthusiastic catch and release fisherman! I'll never forget leaving them out on the porch overnight in 90 degree heat and waking up to their asses still flopping around & gasping for air the next morning. I was really stoked to learn about hanging them off a 2x6 with a nail through the brain so as not to have to skin them alive. But god drat do they taste good

e2: I actually forgot that I caught 2 while I was in college, one Blue and one Mud, and I cleaned both of them up while blackout drunk at my friend's lake house during spring break and then made some stir fry. So 8 years. Also I bought some chicken livers to try to catch some on a camping trip in '14, but I forgot the bait in the Jeep, and when I pulled out of the parking lot the following evening, after bass fishing in the sweltering heat all day, the poo poo tipped over and spilled rotten chicken guts down into my A/C vents and pretty much all over every fabric surface on the passenger side. I kept that car for about 3 months, then traded it in for $500 (which was actually exactly what I paid for it). poo poo smelled like there was a pack of wet dogs in the back seat 24/7 and I couldn't get rid of it.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 31, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
My dad bought us both cheap baitcasting setups this week for my birthday. I’ve never set up or used one before. What kind of line should I run on this thing? Any tips on learning how to set them up correctly? I know that I’m just gonna have to accept that I’m gonna knot the gently caress out of the line and respool a lot until I get it down.

Quantum Octane baitcasting combo

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Went out for a 30 minute lunch sesh at the river today, wanted to go throw the frog a bit. No bites, but I looked over and saw this just hanging in a tule. Winner! I'll take a free plopper over a bite!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I wanna see a fish on that free plopper!

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

My dad bought us both cheap baitcasting setups this week for my birthday. I’ve never set up or used one before. What kind of line should I run on this thing? Any tips on learning how to set them up correctly? I know that I’m just gonna have to accept that I’m gonna knot the gently caress out of the line and respool a lot until I get it down.

Quantum Octane baitcasting combo

Bongwizzard would know best, but you're probably going to want braided line on there. There are YouTube videos about setting your drag properly, and you'll probably want to do that each time you change lures. As for backlash, accept the fact that you're going to unravel a couple of birds' nests, and let yourself suck until you get better.

Sockington posted:

Go forth and find the poop trout!

We went out tonight and got some Walters and one of those yellow perch.

Pulling that big 22” one in felt amazing on that fast action rod. One of my favourite fishing purchases.

Holy gently caress. What's your personal walleye record? That has to be close.

... and yeah, I'm making some corn dough for carp bait tonight. That encounter did something to my brain. I would not be sad at all if a catfish took it instead, though. I guess I have to learn how to skin a fish with pliers at some point.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What is a whopper plopper and why is it all the kids are going on about these days?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Holy gently caress. What's your personal walleye record? That has to be close.

6 personally. It’s all I’m allowed to keep.

We’ve had the odd night where they’re biting so often that we’re comparing sizes to see what’s being caught and what’s being tossed back. We don’t really keep score on nights like that and just get a final tally.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

6 personally. It’s all I’m allowed to keep.

We’ve had the odd night where they’re biting so often that we’re comparing sizes to see what’s being caught and what’s being tossed back. We don’t really keep score on nights like that and just get a final tally.

Oh yeah, I meant personal size record, not like competitive derby quantity. People who ignore catch limits really bum me out and I didn't assume that you were one of them.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

re: plopper-
It's a topwater lure that you more or less just reel in, it has a spinning prop like tail that makes a plopping sound. In SoCal, it was a super hot lure for a while that got bit nonstop. I think it might be what inspired the Teckle Sprinker frog that was also equally effective in the topwater bite. I've never fished one before, I wanted to but I didn't want the big one and the 90 size wasn't out yet or it was maybe sold out; the other sizes were too big for my tastes at the time. The hooks are a bit rusted on that lure I found so I'll need to replace them, but was still a good find that I"m excited to use.

re: baitcaster question about line
Braid is good because it has no line memory, and you can always tie a fluoro/mono leader on if you're worried about visibility. I also feel like it's easier to get the backlashes out. That being said, I do not recommend you learn how to cast on braid. A bad cast can result in a backlash that makes your braid snap (no stretch) which will send your lure flying. I was out one day casting a heavier lure and I was being an idiot trying to hero cast it. Got a bad backlash, on the cast andmy $20 Grassburner that I got in a mystery tackle box went flying into the great nether. In addition to that, my backlash was bad enough that I had to cut a relatively fresh spool of 30lb Power Pro Super Slick 8 off my reel because the end got buried deep. Was a cast that cost me $40.

The short answer, get some Trilene Big Game mono from Walmart for cheap and learn on that. I'd go with like, 12 or 15 lb test. If they sell Izorline XXX near you, that stuff is super cheap and it's great mono in my opinion (which doesn't count for much). Spooling a baitcaster is different than a spinning reel, make sure to google that before you do it.

As to the learning process, your rod is rated for 1/4 to 1-1/2 oz lures. I'd get a 1/2 or 3/4 oz weight and tied it to the end and practice casting with that. Maybe use a swivel, because reeling in a weight over grass/cement/blacktop will put a lot of line twist in your line. DO NOT TRY TO CAST IT HARD. The harder you try, the more likely you are to get a backlash. Do it better, not harder. Bring the rod back smoothly, when you feel it load up launch the lure nice and smooth. I cannot stress this enough, the harder you try the worse it will be. Swallow your pride and make pussy casts for a while while you get it down. Like POK said though, watch a couple videos. Dialing your reel in isn't hard though. You have two knobs usually, on the cheaper magnetic breaking reels. You have one that you adjust for the weight of the lure and you have one that controls that braking on the reel. I can sit here and type a million words about it, but it would be easier if you just found some videos.

Short answer: there are a lot of videos on YouTube about it. I think it's one of those things that gets people views, so almost every YouTuber will put up a video about it.

OH. Here is one tip I have for anyone learning how to cast. I learned how to use a baitcaster in my front yard, casting around my street. Reeling in a weight over blacktop will fray your mono very quickly. I sent a couple 1 oz weights flying down my street because I'm stupid and have never casting a lure in the city before. I don't know how I managed to avoid breaking a window. Be aware of line fray! Cast in the grass! Find a lake!

Also, sorry for the 500,000 word post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

real good post

This is great, thank you! I appreciate effortposts like this. If you had written 500,000 words about why somebody is a moron for disagreeing with you about a trivial thing it would have been boring, but I think that learning from each other is an objectively Good Thing.

I made the carp dough last night. I think this is happening.