Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pigbuster posted:

Learning that Lasseter stole basically the entirety of Cars was mind-boggling. I thought of that film for so long as Lasseter's love letter to small town Americana but that turned out to be a lie.

It was really startling, but it also explains why Cars 2 - and 3 was so different tonally (and not as good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

Learning that Lasseter stole basically the entirety of Cars was mind-boggling. I thought of that film for so long as Lasseter's love letter to small town Americana but that turned out to be a lie.

wait he did what?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

I'm so confused why would you have to steal Cars.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait he did what?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/he-who-not-be-named-can-john-lasseter-ever-return-disney-1105297

quote:

Inspired by a Disney short called Susie the Little Blue Coupe, Klubien pitched Lasseter on a movie featuring talking cars. Lasseter liked the idea and told him to start drawing to flesh it out. Klubien says he worked for three months on drawings of settings and characters that appear very similar to those in the finished film. Then he pitched the project to Lasseter again but got no immediate response.

He went to work on Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story 2. But then he heard that Lasseter wanted to move ahead on a cars movie. He checked in with Lasseter, who said he did want to go forward but with a different plot from the one Klubien had proposed. With that, Klubien and Ranft set to work on scripting and illustrating the main beats of the new story and, according to Klubien, created a version that had all the main elements of the finished movie. Klubien went with Lasseter as he pitched the project first to Jobs and then to a top team from Disney, including then-CEO Michael Eisner and Roy Disney. "John was great at pitching the story, mentioning me as one of the inspirations for him wanting to do this," Klubien remembers. After the meeting, Eisner wrote in an email: "This is totally original and wonderful."

Klubien believed Lasseter had promised he could co-direct the film. Instead Lasseter named himself as the sole director. Klubien was told his consolation prize would be a story and co-writing credit, shared with Ranft and Lasseter. But Klubien says that while Lasseter gave notes, he was not involved in the day-to-day writing of the script. In meetings on the project, Klubien says, Lasseter often seemed to echo things that he or Ranft had just said — but the person taking notes included only Lasseter's words, making it appear that Lasseter had originated thoughts he was merely repeating. Klubien adds that he had observed the same tactic during the making of A Bug's Life.

Finally, Lasseter shocked Klubien by taking him off the film altogether. Klubien remained at Pixar, developing other ideas, and says he came up with several, including one called The Spirit of New Orleans that he thinks eventually may have morphed into the 2009 Disney film The Princess and the Frog. In 2003, Klubien was fired from Pixar after 10 years at the company. He says he was told that no one wanted to work with him. After that, he says, he found it difficult to get hired elsewhere, a problem that he thought was compounded because he believed his credits did not reflect all of his work at Pixar.

In the end, Klubien says he got a $50,000 payment for the Cars idea. It did little to diminish his disappointment. "I didn't even get invited to the premiere or to Cars Land when it opened," he says, referring to the 12-acre attraction at Disney's California Adventure Park. "I went with my family to see Cars Land and they had a whole museum of how the film and the Cars Land ride was made. And not a sketch, not a mention of my name in it."

Klubien continues: "I was the creative spark behind this franchise. It's John's genius that he got it going, that he was the master of Pixar. And if he had allowed me to be part of it all, I would've been his biggest champion. But I find it to be an abusive thing that he got rid of me to claim sole inventorship." He says Lasseter used to advise people in plain language to learn to take credit. "The thing for me is, why can't you say what it really was?" Klubien says. "You're great enough in that role. What's wrong with that? I just don't get it."

When looking for this article, I found a different one from 2011 on the making of Cars that's interesting with this in mind:

quote:

“In Denmark there has never been car production because the country is too small,” said Jorgen. “Yet in the 1980s some enthusiastic folks got the idea of making a three-wheeled one-person car that ran on electricity. They put it into production and it worked great in the city, but out on the highway it was too slow. People also thought that (this) car was ugly.”

“I thought that the electric car was ahead of its time, and it struck me odd that my fellow Danes didn’t agree,” (Klubien continued. “What happened with this car) reminded me of The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Anderson. This famous Danish character wasn’t accepted at first, but in the end it proved to be right on the money.”

So — using The Ugly Duckling as his inspiration — Klubien mapped out a scenario for “The Yellow Car.” Which was supposed to have this uniquely American fairy tale that was set in this small town where there were no people. Where the only residents were cars.

Anyway, “The Yellow Car” ‘s story keyed off of what happened when a small foreign automobile suddenly rolled into town. Initially the small-minded local residents are suspicious and distrustful just because the Yellow Car has three wheels and looks different. But — over time — this new arrival eventually earns the respect and affection of these somewhat prejudiced locals. Which is why the Yellow Car then eventually becomes a cherished member of this automotive community.

Well, when John Lasseter reviewed Jorgen’s concept for “The Yellow Car,” he found a number of things that he liked. A story set in a world populated only by cars, for one. And Lasseter particularly loved a couple of the characters that Klubien had created for The Yellow Car to interact with. Chief among these was a hippie-like VW bus named Fillmore and an uptight, by-the-book Army Jeep called Sarge.

But as for “The Yellow Car” ‘s whimsical, fairy tale-like storyline, John just didn’t think it was strong enough to support an entire animated feature. The small town setting that Jorgen had initially dreamed up with was fine. But Lasseter just felt that — in order to create conflict — a bigger, stronger character needed to be dropped into this bucolic setting. Which is when Lightning McQueen entered the picture.

This article only lists Klubien as the creator of the original concept and credits Lasseter and Ranft for fleshing it out with McQueen and most of the plot, which seems to be what the official story was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ccs posted:

It's true that he doesn't have a genuine friendship with Lasseter.

" John Lasseter visits the studio and on camera talks about his admiration for Miyazaki's films. The two of them seem to have a warm, personal relationship as they talk to each other and move through the studio. When Miyazaki is alone, Sunada asks Miyazaki, "What do you like about Lasseter-san?" Miyazaki's response is "What do I like about him? That's not the kind of relationship we have with each other. I need Lasseter. He's necessary." The same man who can create the warmth of Totoro can be cold, calculating and inconsiderate."

mayersononanimation.blogspot.ca/2015/01/the-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness.html

This is always the vibe I got. Just a "I need to keep a good relationship with Disney" thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Talking cars seems like such an obvious idea because personified cars are a staple of animation (Bob the Builder, etc.)

But I guess they needed specificity which is what those stories offered.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i remember a series of talking car toys from when i was a kid that had mouths and eye windshields just like the movie, and because of that i thought the movie was based on those toys

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And it was bad enough there was a move called the "Lasseter Maneuver" where women sat at attention with their hands on their knees and elbows touching their thighs to avoid him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I just found out about the new Scooby-Doo series.

quote:

The Mystery Inc. gang welcomes new members in the all-new series, Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?. From Warner Bros. Animation, Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? follows the grand tradition of Scooby-Doo team-ups and takes the idea to hilarious new heights.

Faced with some of their toughest mysteries yet, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo will join forces with some of the biggest names in celebrity and pop culture including NBA superstar Chris Paul, recording artists Halsey and Sia, Ricky Gervais, Kenan Thompson, Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Mark Hamill, Steve Urkel (voiced by Jaleel White reprising his iconic role) Batman, Sherlock Holmes, The Flash, Wonder Woman and many more!

So, most of these I get. Most of these are popular modern characters and celebrities. Sure, makes sense for Scooby-Doo to crossover with them. And I'm looking forward to this, I really am. The New Scooby-Doo movies was a fun show, and most of Scooby-Doo's crossover things have been okay.

But who decided that in the year 2018, that Scooby-Doo needed to crossover with Steve Urkel of all people? :psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Please don't give Ricky Gervais work.

Also, I love that it's Mark Hamill and not any of the characters he's played.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I saw the character art for that new scooby doo, it all looks loving awful, and everyone looks like they have sideway knees.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/CordlessJet/status/999072202422128641

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vandar posted:

But who decided that in the year 2018, that Scooby-Doo needed to crossover with Steve Urkel of all people? :psyduck:

Scooby doo has been being pretty ironic and meta for a while now, The whole WWE movie was entirely a joke based on making a movie with no jokes and playing it 100% straight like it was a movie that came out in the 70s. No one wants real scooby doo anymore, people want scooby doo where they realize hell is real of cross over into batman or make all the weed and lesbian jokes everyone has been making all along or other silly brady bunch movie style stuff.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

I saw the character art for that new scooby doo, it all looks loving awful, and everyone looks like they have sideway knees.

Different series, that one has been running for a while now. As far as I can tell there's no art for this one yet.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Scooby doo has been being pretty ironic and meta for a while now, The whole WWE movie was entirely a joke based on making a movie with no jokes and playing it 100% straight like it was a movie that came out in the 70s. No one wants real scooby doo anymore, people want scooby doo where they realize hell is real of cross over into batman or make all the weed and lesbian jokes everyone has been making all along or other silly brady bunch movie style stuff.

I get that, but...

Jaleel White is just so out of place in that list of names that it baffles me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vandar posted:

I get that, but...

Jaleel White is just so out of place in that list of names that it baffles me.

I am absolutely sure that is the concept of having him

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

So I've seen this passed around today, and they are clearly supposed to be years older. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't the movie end in a way where it was a situation that needed to be addressed asap?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Macaluso posted:

So I've seen this passed around today, and they are clearly supposed to be years older. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't the movie end in a way where it was a situation that needed to be addressed asap?

I thought it ended with the villain running off swearing he'll get them next time?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

wdarkk posted:

I thought it ended with the villain running off swearing he'll get them next time?

It ended with the villain falling to his “death”, with no body to prove it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Macaluso posted:

Not really, it just ended with the vikings preparing to face any future threat.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

My sister thinks that they all aged so much that their dragons died and they made armor out of their bodies in remembrance.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Stealth animated Monster Hunter movie?

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

I love that they are brave enough to drastically age them up with each installment. It's really refreshing. I'm looking at you 13(14?) Land before Time sequels where everyone's perpetually 5 or whatever.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first movie ends with the main character loosing a leg. They aren't pulling any punches while still being enjoyable.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Vandar posted:

So I just found out about the new Scooby-Doo series.

So, most of these I get. Most of these are popular modern characters and celebrities. Sure, makes sense for Scooby-Doo to crossover with them. And I'm looking forward to this, I really am. The New Scooby-Doo movies was a fun show, and most of Scooby-Doo's crossover things have been okay.

They're doing a pretty obvious riff on The New Scooby-Doo Movies and that cross-section of pop culture is pretty spot-on with the strata of celebrity that was on the original.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the Harlem Globetrotters, who managed to get at least two separate episodes.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
The last (only?) good Scooby-Doo series was the one that was an unironic version of Venture Bros so maybe an unironic version of Mike Tyson Mysteries will work too?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, I get that, but most (all?) of the celebrities on The New Scooby-Doo Movies were at least somewhat relevant and popular at the time.

There weren't any celebrities/characters on the show that were 20 years out of date, was there?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I like that Jonathan Winters is just a disembodied head.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Really nice designs. HTTYD2 had a disappointing plot but the animation was just spectacular. They've gotten it to a level where some of the animators have mastered realism and body mechanics to an unbelievable extent. I've heard from people who worked at dreamworks that entire dailies would be filled with notes about modifying the tension on a character's neck to push the acting just a bit further.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Vandar posted:

Yeah, I get that, but most (all?) of the celebrities on The New Scooby-Doo Movies were at least somewhat relevant and popular at the time.

There weren't any celebrities/characters on the show that were 20 years out of date, was there?

There was Laurel and Hardy, they were well out of the business by then (Laurel died in the mid-50s, and Hardy in 60s)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Pigbuster posted:

It’s been devastating to my to learn that this entire generation of animation giants turned out to be monstrous shitlords.

Ed Catmul is a key player in the animation/silicon valley wage fixing. And is utterly unrepentant about it.

gently caress all of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least John K was always an rear end in a top hat so you never liked him as a person anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ed Catmul is a key player in the animation/silicon valley wage fixing. And is utterly unrepentant about it.

Wait what?

All I know about him is the cat kid in Zootopia who played all those instruments in the beginning is named after him as "Bobby Catmull".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I honestly don't believe Miyazaki has been friends with anybody but Isao Takahata.
I honestly don't believe Miyazaki has been friends with anybody besides the concept of aviation.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what?

All I know about him is the cat kid in Zootopia who played all those instruments in the beginning is named after him as "Bobby Catmull".

This BS right here.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/ed-catmull-on-wage-fixing-i-dont-apologize-for-this-105855.html

Dude is grade-A piece of poo poo material. Gets in on the ground floor of a new art form then pulls the ladder up after him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I honestly don't believe Miyazaki has been friends with anybody besides the concept of aviation.

Nah, I saw photos of him at Takahata's funeral and there was actual emotion. He definitely cared for Takahata.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When the gently caress was there a Hotel Transylvania 3 coming out?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Too soon

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I watched the first one and was pretty unimpressed. I miiight have watched the second one but it's just as likely that I saw clips on youtube. I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a period for Sony where Men In Black had ended, they lost their James Bond licence, they hosed up Amazing Spider-Man and the 21 Jump Street well ran dry so Hotel Transylvania became their most successful remaining franchise via process of elimination. I'm surprised they haven't pumped out more.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=sony.htm