Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well poo poo now I want an aeropress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My last grandparent, my maternal grandmother passed away last night at the age of 96. Which was the same age my paternal grandmother passed away at.

Got into work this morning and found out one of my co workers came in and had a stroke. Called it a day after that news.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

My last grandparent, my maternal grandmother passed away last night at the age of 96. Which was the same age my paternal grandmother passed away at.

Got into work this morning and found out one of my co workers came in and had a stroke. Called it a day after that news.

Yikes. I think you need a vacation.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was waiting for a NEMESIS! in there somewhere.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

QuarkMartial posted:

Well poo poo now I want an aeropress

I wanna get back into being all fancy with coffee but after working a 12 hour shift, getting woke up three times by two annoying cats leaving me with 5 hours of sleep, then having to stumble into the kitchen and get things ready; I just can't. I can barely press a few buttons on my coffeemaker before I go into a ridiculous rampage about my coffee not being ready yet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Yikes. I think you need a vacation.

Going to be taking today and the day of the funeral off, definitely. Update from the boss is that the co worker is doing well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
One less Second Gen Taurus on the road.

Some kid racing through the neighborhood at 1:30 am (sober) smashed into it which I guess broke the parking pawl (no skid marks) and sent the car 200' down the road over a curb into a street sign. Thankfully there was a witness but I'm not expecting much. Also he hit it with a newer Taurus.

RIP

Devyl posted:

I wanna get back into being all fancy with coffee but after working a 12 hour shift, getting woke up three times by two annoying cats leaving me with 5 hours of sleep, then having to stumble into the kitchen and get things ready; I just can't. I can barely press a few buttons on my coffeemaker before I go into a ridiculous rampage about my coffee not being ready yet.

Put a couple scoops in a French press and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. Mix it with some milk in the morning--goes down real smooth and fast.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How did you figure out what he hit it with? Did the witness identify it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I find the 2x hot pretty hot, and I add that Dave's ghost pepper chili hot sauce to things regularly. Be careful not to drain too much water when you cook it unless you want to cry.

You're supposed to drain all of it.

ALL. OF. IT. None of this watered down fire here, mister. :colbert:

iwentdoodie posted:

I drain all of the water, then add the packets and just stir and nuke for another second, cause all I have at work is a microwave.

The regular is like...just spicy enough to taste it, the 2x is like the sweet spot between tasty and "this hurts."

I haven't had the 2X yet. The spicy was enough to get my attention, and it did burn a bit more once I finished, but I wanted hotter.

GF bought it as a dare, and demanded to watch me eat it whenever I finally got around to it. It was funny watching her sit there with her jaw hanging open while I inhaled the entire bowl. She can't even handle my beans when I fix them my normal way (which has a little fire, but not much), I have to cut way back on the spicyness. They get chili powder, green chiles (fresh, home roasted, during Hatch chile season), and chipotles, normally. Sometimes I'll toss in a couple of jalapenos (fresh, sliced lengthwise) for a little extra flavor.

You Am I posted:

Yikes. Sorry man.

My grandmother made it to 93. Of all my grandparents, she lasted the longest, by a big margin. Paternal grandparents didn't make it past 60, I don't think (one cancer from radiation treatment, one Alzheimer's.. never met my paternal grandmother, don't remember my paternal grandfather).

My dad has outlived both of his parents by a good chunk now (he's in his early 70s), and my mom (70) is coming close to outliving her father. I'll be shocked if I make it past 65 or 70.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 28, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So something I've never really mentioned is I have a handful of watches.

Swatches though. All Swatches. Mostly 90s stuff, including the Atlanta Olympics version (that one is still in the original packaging, though it's been opened). I stopped wearing watches awhile back, but ran across 2 of them last week while packing. The Atlanta one is at my parents house.

Well, last night, started trying to figure out what batteries they took. Googled "swatch battery replacement". Guess what? Swatch now gives free batteries for life, if you go to a corporate store. We have one here. Went there today. They installed new batteries, and even polished the scratches out of the face of my newest one (a ~10 year old chronograph model that my mom gave me).

A+ experience until the employee took a close look at one and said "wait, 1995? that's the year I was born, teehee". Me: "... I was a senior in high school :corsair:"

Rocking the Caution one again, tho it barely fits. IIRC the last time I wore it, it ran a bit fast, but I found some corrosion on a terminal last night and cleaned it up (I think the battery it had when I bought it had leaked, but I've had it a long time).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 28, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My uncle died in a surfing accident in Mexico on Friday. He was only 65. :(

First of the 7 kids to die, second youngest too! (My mom is the youngest). He used to surf with all the Big Wave guys in the 70s and 80s, but hadn't gone out in a few years. Jackson Browne ducked out of some all-star shindig in Mazatlan and my uncle got a chance to go.

The hardest part is watching my mom crack and break, then numb herself, then crack all over again.

edit: whats really hard for my mom is I look exactly like him

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 28, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Devyl posted:

For those times, I just program my coffee pot. With this, well, I like gadgets and have a gift card :v:

Also what the gently caress Infinity War.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, when the gently caress did I move to Arizona Bay? :suicide:

e: weird story, but didn't want to doublepost. So back in the day, I ran a dialup BBS. :corsair: I ran it from 92-97 in my hometown, then 97-99 once I moved to DFW. It never took off in DFW (since BBSs were dying off by then anyway), but it was one of the more popular ones in my hometown, complete with 3 lines (and a 4th for me to dial out on + run zone mail hour).

My dad and stepmom still live in my hometown. When pops went to pay, their waiter recognized his last name (not a common last name in a predominantly hispanic city), asked if we were related. Dad said yes. Waiter said he knew me back in the day. Dad pulled phone out, called me, said "someone wants to talk to you" and handed the phone over.

Hello, long lost cosysop. We're friends on FB, but haven't heard each others voices in over 20 years (and probably haven't seen each other in person since 1994).

Small loving world, when someone you knew a long time ago, nearly 700 miles away, runs into your dad.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 28, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After 2 days of eating pretty much only pickled eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches (I allow myself cheat weekends but still keep it under 2k), my farts have become weaponized.

My air conditioning tale earlier today began because I was opening it up to flip the vent open.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The moment I saw "2 days" and "pickled eggs" I was already trying to formulate how to politely ask how weaponized your rear end must be.

The next time I drive to Austin, I will buy these, and I will mail them to either you or Dave. Or both.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 28, 2018

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How did you figure out what he hit it with? Did the witness identify it?

The witness was able to get the tag number so the cop was able to find the 19-year-old dufus (and car) who hit it and drove off (his airbags didn't even go off after caving in the whole back of my car vOv.) I'm guessing leaving the scene is an expensive ticket... just thankful there was a witness so someone is responsible for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are teenagers hanging out on the sidewalk just beyond my patio.

They are IRRITATING me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

Also what the gently caress Infinity War.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

They are IRRITATING me.

https://imgur.com/a/J4nCn7w

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

They are IRRITATING me.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

They are IRRITATING me.

Go hang with them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

STR posted:

So something I've never really mentioned is I have a handful of watches.

Swatches though. All Swatches. Mostly 90s stuff, including the Atlanta Olympics version (that one is still in the original packaging, though it's been opened). I stopped wearing watches awhile back, but ran across 2 of them last week while packing. The Atlanta one is at my parents house.

Well, last night, started trying to figure out what batteries they took. Googled "swatch battery replacement". Guess what? Swatch now gives free batteries for life, if you go to a corporate store. We have one here. Went there today. They installed new batteries, and even polished the scratches out of the face of my newest one (a ~10 year old chronograph model that my mom gave me).

A+ experience until the employee took a close look at one and said "wait, 1995? that's the year I was born, teehee". Me: "... I was a senior in high school :corsair:"

Rocking the Caution one again, tho it barely fits. IIRC the last time I wore it, it ran a bit fast, but I found some corrosion on a terminal last night and cleaned it up (I think the battery it had when I bought it had leaked, but I've had it a long time).

Sup, fellow 1995 grad. Swatches were all the rage in my cohort, but when I was in middle school.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

been down an 80s and 90s music rabbit-hole lately and found these

https://youtu.be/v1CKeLH29iI

https://youtu.be/IPR-o3wTZqI

basically, artists doing the same songs 20+ years later.

Of course it isn't shocking that some people doing songs in their 70s is pretty drat bad, but more surprisingly some are still pretty drat good.

Kim Carnes should have probably stopped the plastic surgery a long time ago :stonk:

e: I'd pay money to see a high def version of this

https://youtu.be/ol4MaEPayv0

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Your daughter is behind a paywall?

You sick gently caress.

Huh. No paywall when I looked at it, and I’m certainly not a Washington Post subscriber

BraveUlysses posted:

lol this guy was on infowars

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/1000103003607785472

also he apparently only owns that one suit

To be fair, I only own one suit, for weddings, funerals, and job interviews. Don’t need one otherwise.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

been down an 80s and 90s music rabbit-hole lately and found these

https://youtu.be/v1CKeLH29iI

https://youtu.be/IPR-o3wTZqI

basically, artists doing the same songs 20+ years later.

Of course it isn't shocking that some people doing songs in their 70s is pretty drat bad, but more surprisingly some are still pretty drat good.

Kim Carnes should have probably stopped the plastic surgery a long time ago :stonk:

e: I'd pay money to see a high def version of this

https://youtu.be/ol4MaEPayv0

Some of these are great, though it seems unfair to judge some of these guys live thirty years after a a staged recording for a music video. Also, Rick Astley FINALLY matches his voice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I bought a new rototiller today and it would seem that Echo is still not adjusting carbs at factory.

It was a bitch to get it to start, and it would just bog and die whenever I gave it throttle. Jet screws had little plastic caps on them that would let you turn them about a third of a turn one way or the other, but the best I could do was get it to start and idle for about 30 seconds before dying if I pumped the poo poo out of the primer bulb. Ended up popping the limiter caps off. Low jet was only about half to three quarters of a turn out from being fully run in, same deal with the high jet. To actually get it to start nicely, and idle, the low needed to be backed off by about 1 3/4ths of a turn (or one full turn past where the cap would let me go). To get it to not bog, stall, and die when given anything more than about a quarter throttle the high needed to be backed off just over 2 full turns. It's running like a champ now, but I can't help but think about how I have this Echo trimmer that I bought new several years back and has had carb trouble since day one (it starts great but bogs unless I let it idle for about 5 minutes first, I should probably do something about it but I keep forgetting to).

Do they just not test this poo poo to make sure it runs anymore?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fermented Tinal posted:

I bought a new rototiller today and it would seem that Echo is still not adjusting carbs at factory.

It was a bitch to get it to start, and it would just bog and die whenever I gave it throttle. Jet screws had little plastic caps on them that would let you turn them about a third of a turn one way or the other, but the best I could do was get it to start and idle for about 30 seconds before dying if I pumped the poo poo out of the primer bulb. Ended up popping the limiter caps off. Low jet was only about half to three quarters of a turn out from being fully run in, same deal with the high jet. To actually get it to start nicely, and idle, the low needed to be backed off by about 1 3/4ths of a turn (or one full turn past where the cap would let me go). To get it to not bog, stall, and die when given anything more than about a quarter throttle the high needed to be backed off just over 2 full turns. It's running like a champ now, but I can't help but think about how I have this Echo trimmer that I bought new several years back and has had carb trouble since day one (it starts great but bogs unless I let it idle for about 5 minutes first, I should probably do something about it but I keep forgetting to).

Never sold one that didn't start right up.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Fermented Tinal posted:

They adjust it to meet emissions. My last stihl fs130 was that bad too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Can somebody ID this car for me? It looks like an AMC to me but I can't for the life of me pinpoint it.

That's my grandfather, who bought Studebakers almost exclusively, but I don't think that is a Studebaker.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Malibu/Chevelle. 1969 based on what looks to be a horizontal bar mid-grille.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Huh. No paywall when I looked at it, and I’m certainly not a Washington Post subscriber

To be fair, I only own one suit, for weddings, funerals, and job interviews. Don’t need one otherwise.

well dont wear it on infowars

i also only own one suit and havent had to use it for 13 or so years and i doubt it even fits

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Have the next day or two off with no wife or kid. I had plans to do some stuff like wash and finally wax/seal the car and ride bikes, but it's 95 loving degrees outside the next two days. And I have to mow at some point. Ugh.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

Can somebody ID this car for me? It looks like an AMC to me but I can't for the life of me pinpoint it.

That's my grandfather, who bought Studebakers almost exclusively, but I don't think that is a Studebaker.

Doesn't look like any AMC i'm familiar with. They used a lot of flush door handles in the 60s.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Might be because I'm outside the US?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what's the current AI stance on buying wrecked cars and rebuilding them? There seems to be a major boom of Youtubers buying wrecks off Copart for cheap and rebuilding them and I'm seeing som Russian levels of bodywork on some of this poo poo. One of my cars & coffee buds just got a 2006 Civic coupe from his brother for free because he tagged a pole and from a quick glance it needs a front bumper, hood and bumper, possible front driver's suspension parts. We junk yarded and it was a bust but he's seeing parts dirt cheap and is intent on rebuilding the car.

So how many children is he gonna kill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
driving cars is much more fun than fixing them so i lean towards no on that question

especially body work, gently caress body work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

driving cars is much more fun than fixing them so i lean towards no on that question

I agree on that but hey, super cheap car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

My structural repairs are very much in the "laws and sausages" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Malibu/Chevelle. 1969 based on what looks to be a horizontal bar mid-grille.

Oh man that looks like it. I looked up Malibu/Chevelles but I must not have pulled up any from that year. And it looked too short to be one. Thanks!

• Locked thread