Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I quit watching last year after Aaron Rodgers got injured, so I already have a head start on not watching football.

I watched some playoff games though. But I did not watch the Super Bowl because I didn't think the Eagles would pull it off. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

I quit watching last year after Aaron Rodgers got injured, so I already have a head start on not watching football.

thank you my friend

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
And in case anyone was wondering what Tom Brady was doing today, he wasn't mouthkissing his son

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1000822195172524032

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

show up for otas, pretty boy.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

And in case anyone was wondering what Tom Brady was doing today, he wasn't mouthkissing his son

Not publicly at least

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Besides Gronk, what other Patriots are going thru Guerrero instead of the team trainers?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

hopefully they didn’t try passing it back to him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

WHOOPS posted:

hopefully they didn’t try passing it back to him.

lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well this could get spicy

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/1000862670453657602

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that's some "my uncle works for Nintendo" bullshit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a radical commie Marxist, I really appreciate the NFL owners doing a lot of the legwork for convincing your average prole that those who own the means of production and have de facto absolute control over our lives are as stupid, short-sighted, unqualified, and prone to shooting their own dicks off as any rear end in a top hat you could pick off the street

Shaun King obsessively vets things and is best known for his perfect record of doxxing Nazis...25% is probably a lot to hope for but if he's reporting it, there's something brewing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

that's some "my uncle works for Nintendo" bullshit

:nallears:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
1 in 4 is a lot of players

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watch it be all kickers & special teamers. Owners rejoice as they can then experiment with kickoff-free football. 🙃

The challenge will be getting young would-be players from crossing the picket line. Remember when I asked which quarterback would kneel? Which one would actively sit out? no white one

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Its Rinaldo posted:

1 in 4 is a lot of players

There's basically no way, these guys can't even get together when a CBA comes up because their careers are so short and no one can afford to lose a year.

I'd love to be wrong but an accurate tweet seems like it would say that 25% of players are really pissed off about this and don't know what to do right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
all I can think of is that Pretty Good vid about the NFL strike

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Would love to see offsetting penalties every game highlighting the protest

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Epic High Five posted:

As a radical commie Marxist, I really appreciate the NFL owners doing a lot of the legwork for convincing your average prole that those who own the means of production and have de facto absolute control over our lives are as stupid, short-sighted, unqualified, and prone to shooting their own dicks off as any rear end in a top hat you could pick off the street

Shaun King obsessively vets things and is best known for his perfect record of doxxing Nazis...25% is probably a lot to hope for but if he's reporting it, there's something brewing

otoh

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1000880528227291137

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don’t really feel like it’s that hard to believe a player told King he hopes to stage a massive player protest. The odds said player actually pulls it off are maybe an eyelash above zero, but I don’t doubt that a player literally said that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Has he been found to do that

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's fine i'm just a better person than you.

nice truck buddy also whend you move to oregon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AntonioArellano/status/1000831511405395969

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty loving loaded charge from Allbright.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

fsif posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty loving loaded charge from Allbright.

I dunno, AllbrightNFL has no vested interest in the NFL. I trust him!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

CharlestheHammer posted:

His follow up tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1000885184877809664

:shrug:

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He did recently claim that a Texas state trooper kidnapped and raped a black woman a traffic arrest. Not even an "allegedly" or "according to the victim", just straight reporting it as fact.

However, released body cam footage showed that the woman had entirely made it up. So why this might not be King making this up, it also goes against him "obsessively vets things".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was in Excelsior MN today and made a special trip to visit the Vikings sex boat.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

lolol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

MD2020 posted:

He did recently claim that a Texas state trooper kidnapped and raped a black woman a traffic arrest. Not even an "allegedly" or "according to the victim", just straight reporting it as fact.

However, released body cam footage showed that the woman had entirely made it up. So why this might not be King making this up, it also goes against him "obsessively vets things".

From my understanding that's not what happened at all..

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/when-the-victim-you-fought-for-turns-out-to-be-the-victimizer-sherita-dixon-cole-and-the-painful-cec6ca8f3670

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was referring to his since-deleted social media postings on the subject. Screenshots included in tweet below.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HashtagG...fw_site=foxnews

I'm really not trying to start a derail about Shaun King and I believe he's heard that more players could be protesting; I just think that some tweets need to be taken with a grain of salt absent other support.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

To be frank, and not to get all d&d, but I think he hosed up and the guy attempting to call him out about "making stuff up" is a dumb piece of poo poo because every journalist fucks up and King has been a net force for good, which is more than anyone making money off of the NFL can say.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

I was in Excelsior MN today and made a special trip to visit the Vikings sex boat.
The Sex Boat should be on the National Register of Historic Places.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is one of the most racist comment sections I've seen on /r/nfl: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8ml7g7/shaun_king_breaking_several_star_nfl_players_have/

Not even the Bennetts stirred up the racists this much. I'm impressed. Even sorting by controversial here (in a thread where the opinion is heavily swung one way) still turns up good stuff.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At this point the only way I can see this working out is if every single team quietly agrees with each other that their players just stay in the locker rooms during the anthem. Otherwise you get an Alejandro Villanueva situation that makes the whole team look bad.

Of course this won’t happen because you have owners like Jerry Jones or Bob McNair that will demand their players go out for the National Anthem.

Goddamn, Americans are really stupid.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is one of the most racist comment sections I've seen on /r/nfl: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8ml7g7/shaun_king_breaking_several_star_nfl_players_have/

Not even the Bennetts stirred up the racists this much. I'm impressed. Even sorting by controversial here (in a thread where the opinion is heavily swung one way) still turns up good stuff.

reddit is might as well rename itself to altright.com

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Goddamn, Americans are really stupid.

i've got an iq of 160

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

reddit is might as well rename itself to altright.com

Reddit is big enough that it doesn't really make sense to paint its userbase with that single smear. But yeah that thread is pretty bad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

incompetent posted:

i've got an iq of 160

Why are you wasting that valuable brain being here then? Go out and rid the world of crime on the international level, Batman!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

incompetent posted:

i've got an iq of 160

In 7th grade, I took an SAT test without preparing for it at all, it was spur-of-the-moment, I knew about it about an hour ahead of time and didn't do any research or anything. I scored higher on it than the average person using it to apply for college in my area.

An IQ test has shown me to be in the 99.9th percentile for IQ. This is the highest result the test I was given reaches; anything further and they'd consider it to be within the margin of error for that test.

My mother's boyfriend of 8 years is an aerospace engineer who graduated Virginia Tech. At the age of 15, I understand physics better than him, and I owe very little of it to him, as he would rarely give me a decent explanation of anything, just tell me that my ideas were wrong and become aggravated with me for not quite understanding thermodynamics. He's not particularly successful as an engineer, but I've met lots of other engineers who aren't as good as me at physics, so I'm guessing that's not just a result of him being bad at it.

I'm also pretty good at engineering. I don't have a degree, and other than physics I don't have a better understanding of any aspect of engineering than any actual engineer, but I have lots of ingenuity for inventing new things. For example, I independently invented regenerative brakes before finding out what they were, and I was only seven or eight years old when I started inventing wireless electricity solutions (my first idea being to use a powerful infrared laser to transmit energy; admittedly not the best plan).

I have independently thought of basically every branch of philosophy I've come across. Every question of existentialism which I've seen discussed in SMBC or xkcd or Reddit or anywhere else, the thoughts haven't been new to me. Philosophy has pretty much gotten trivial for me; I've considered taking a philosophy course just to see how easy it is.

Psychology, I actually understand better than people with degrees. Unlike engineering, there's no aspect of psychology which I don't have a very good understanding of. I can debunk many of even Sigmund Freud's theories. I'm a good enough writer that I'm writing a book and so far everybody who's read any of it has said it was really good and plausible to expect to have published. And that's not just, like, me and family members, that counts strangers on the Internet. I've heard zero negative appraisal of it so far; people have critiqued it, but not insulted it.

I don't know if that will suffice as evidence that I'm intelligent. I'm done with it, though, because I'd rather defend my maturity, since it's what you've spent the most time attacking. The following are some examples of my morals and ethical code. I believe firmly that everybody deserves a future. If we were to capture Hitler at the end of WWII, I would be against executing him. In fact, if we had any way of rehabilitating him and knowing that he wasn't just faking it, I'd even support the concept of letting him go free. This is essentially because I think that whoever you are in the present is a separate entity from who you were in the past and who you are in the future, and while your present self should take responsibility for your past self's actions, it shouldn't be punished for them simply for the sake of punishment, especially if the present self regrets the actions of the past self and feels genuine guilt about them.

I don't believe in judgement of people based on their personal choices as long as those personal choices aren't harming others. I don't have any issue with any type of sexuality whatsoever (short of physically acting out necrophilia, pedophilia, or other acts which have a harmful affect on others - but I don't care what a person's fantasies consist of, as long as they recognize the difference between reality and fiction and can separate them). I don't have any issue with anybody over what type of music they listen to, or clothes they wear, etc. I know that's not really an impressive moral, but it's unfortunately rare; a great many people, especially those my age, are judgmental about these things.

I love everyone, even people I hate. I wish my worst enemies good fortune and happiness. Rick Perry is a vile, piece of poo poo human being, deserving of zero respect, but I wish for him to change for the better and live the best life possible. I wish this for everyone. I'm pretty much a pacifist. I've taken a broken nose without fighting back or seeking retribution, because the guy stopped punching after that. The only time I'll fight back is if 1) the person attacking me shows no signs of stopping and 2) if I don't attack, I'll come out worse than the other person will if I do. In other words, if fighting someone is going to end up being more harmful to them than just letting them go will be to me, I don't fight back. I've therefore never had a reason to fight back against anyone in anything serious, because my ability to take pain has so far made it so that I'm never in a situation where I'll be worse off after a fight. If I'm not going to get any hospitalizing injuries, I really don't care.

The only exception is if someone is going after my life. Even then, I'll do the minimum amount of harm to them that I possibly can in protecting myself. If someone points a gun at me and I can get out of it without harming them, I'd prefer to do that over killing them. I consider myself a feminist. I don't believe in enforced or uniform gender roles; they may happen naturally, but they should never be coerced into happening unnaturally. As in, the societal pressure for gender roles should really go, even if it'll turn out that the majority of relationships continue operating the same way of their own accord. I treat women with the same outlook I treat men, and never participate in the old Reddit "women are crazy" circlejerk, because there are multiple women out there and each have different personalities just like there are multiple men out there and each with different personalities. I don't think you do much of anything except scare off the awesome women out there by going on and on about the ones who aren't awesome. That doesn't mean I look for places to victimize women, I just don't believe it's fair to make generalizations such as the one about women acting like everything's OK when it's really not (and that's a particularly harsh example, because all humans do that).

I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them, if you've even made it this far. In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community, where I spend most of my time and where I'm pretty known for being helpful around the community. A lot of people in my segment of the community are depressed or going through hard times, and I spend a lot of time giving advice and support to people there. Yesterday someone quoted a case of me doing this in a post asking everyone what their favorite motivational/inspirational quote was, and that comment was second to the top, so I guess other people agreed (though, granted, it was a pretty low-traffic post, only about a dozen competing comments). And, uh, I'm a pretty good moderator.

All that, and I think your behavior in this thread was totally assholish. So what do you think, now that you at least slightly know me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Randaconda posted:

In 7th grade, I took an SAT test without preparing for it at all, it was spur-of-the-moment, I knew about it about an hour ahead of time and didn't do any research or anything. I scored higher on it than the average person using it to apply for college in my area.

An IQ test has shown me to be in the 99.9th percentile for IQ. This is the highest result the test I was given reaches; anything further and they'd consider it to be within the margin of error for that test.

My mother's boyfriend of 8 years is an aerospace engineer who graduated Virginia Tech. At the age of 15, I understand physics better than him, and I owe very little of it to him, as he would rarely give me a decent explanation of anything, just tell me that my ideas were wrong and become aggravated with me for not quite understanding thermodynamics. He's not particularly successful as an engineer, but I've met lots of other engineers who aren't as good as me at physics, so I'm guessing that's not just a result of him being bad at it.

I'm also pretty good at engineering. I don't have a degree, and other than physics I don't have a better understanding of any aspect of engineering than any actual engineer, but I have lots of ingenuity for inventing new things. For example, I independently invented regenerative brakes before finding out what they were, and I was only seven or eight years old when I started inventing wireless electricity solutions (my first idea being to use a powerful infrared laser to transmit energy; admittedly not the best plan).

I have independently thought of basically every branch of philosophy I've come across. Every question of existentialism which I've seen discussed in SMBC or xkcd or Reddit or anywhere else, the thoughts haven't been new to me. Philosophy has pretty much gotten trivial for me; I've considered taking a philosophy course just to see how easy it is.

Psychology, I actually understand better than people with degrees. Unlike engineering, there's no aspect of psychology which I don't have a very good understanding of. I can debunk many of even Sigmund Freud's theories. I'm a good enough writer that I'm writing a book and so far everybody who's read any of it has said it was really good and plausible to expect to have published. And that's not just, like, me and family members, that counts strangers on the Internet. I've heard zero negative appraisal of it so far; people have critiqued it, but not insulted it.

I don't know if that will suffice as evidence that I'm intelligent. I'm done with it, though, because I'd rather defend my maturity, since it's what you've spent the most time attacking. The following are some examples of my morals and ethical code. I believe firmly that everybody deserves a future. If we were to capture Hitler at the end of WWII, I would be against executing him. In fact, if we had any way of rehabilitating him and knowing that he wasn't just faking it, I'd even support the concept of letting him go free. This is essentially because I think that whoever you are in the present is a separate entity from who you were in the past and who you are in the future, and while your present self should take responsibility for your past self's actions, it shouldn't be punished for them simply for the sake of punishment, especially if the present self regrets the actions of the past self and feels genuine guilt about them.

I don't believe in judgement of people based on their personal choices as long as those personal choices aren't harming others. I don't have any issue with any type of sexuality whatsoever (short of physically acting out necrophilia, pedophilia, or other acts which have a harmful affect on others - but I don't care what a person's fantasies consist of, as long as they recognize the difference between reality and fiction and can separate them). I don't have any issue with anybody over what type of music they listen to, or clothes they wear, etc. I know that's not really an impressive moral, but it's unfortunately rare; a great many people, especially those my age, are judgmental about these things.

I love everyone, even people I hate. I wish my worst enemies good fortune and happiness. Rick Perry is a vile, piece of poo poo human being, deserving of zero respect, but I wish for him to change for the better and live the best life possible. I wish this for everyone. I'm pretty much a pacifist. I've taken a broken nose without fighting back or seeking retribution, because the guy stopped punching after that. The only time I'll fight back is if 1) the person attacking me shows no signs of stopping and 2) if I don't attack, I'll come out worse than the other person will if I do. In other words, if fighting someone is going to end up being more harmful to them than just letting them go will be to me, I don't fight back. I've therefore never had a reason to fight back against anyone in anything serious, because my ability to take pain has so far made it so that I'm never in a situation where I'll be worse off after a fight. If I'm not going to get any hospitalizing injuries, I really don't care.

The only exception is if someone is going after my life. Even then, I'll do the minimum amount of harm to them that I possibly can in protecting myself. If someone points a gun at me and I can get out of it without harming them, I'd prefer to do that over killing them. I consider myself a feminist. I don't believe in enforced or uniform gender roles; they may happen naturally, but they should never be coerced into happening unnaturally. As in, the societal pressure for gender roles should really go, even if it'll turn out that the majority of relationships continue operating the same way of their own accord. I treat women with the same outlook I treat men, and never participate in the old Reddit "women are crazy" circlejerk, because there are multiple women out there and each have different personalities just like there are multiple men out there and each with different personalities. I don't think you do much of anything except scare off the awesome women out there by going on and on about the ones who aren't awesome. That doesn't mean I look for places to victimize women, I just don't believe it's fair to make generalizations such as the one about women acting like everything's OK when it's really not (and that's a particularly harsh example, because all humans do that).

I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them, if you've even made it this far. In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community, where I spend most of my time and where I'm pretty known for being helpful around the community. A lot of people in my segment of the community are depressed or going through hard times, and I spend a lot of time giving advice and support to people there. Yesterday someone quoted a case of me doing this in a post asking everyone what their favorite motivational/inspirational quote was, and that comment was second to the top, so I guess other people agreed (though, granted, it was a pretty low-traffic post, only about a dozen competing comments). And, uh, I'm a pretty good moderator.

All that, and I think your behavior in this thread was totally assholish. So what do you think, now that you at least slightly know me?

Source your quotes

• Locked thread