Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah if it was $80k they might actually find people to do the job.

This is the real issue. Trucking like many other jobs (tech has this problem too funny enough) has huge variability in the actual pay and benefits. Many private fleets and higher-end logistics companies pay a real salary and not by mileage, have good benefits, limit the number of hours you are able to drive within a week, and treat you like a person. However, they are the minority of the jobs available.

Everyone else treats you like poo poo, pays by the mile or trip, has unrealistic time on the road to meet the “average pay”, awful benefits, etc. So you have his disparity where at the best you have ~80k for ~40 hours of work a week and the rest are 60k by contact, pay for your own insurance, drive 60+ hours a week back to back, get hosed. Yeah there is some middle ground but not much. The higher end jobs also usually require years of experience too so good like getting a not poo poo trucking job without years of caffeine shots, 4 hours of sleep a night, and divorces.

Yes the pay hasn’t scaled in line with inflation either but that’s pretty much every profession so truckers aren’t unique there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

would it be possible to setup the trucking industry so that everyone is doing a big relay or something?

Possible, yeah, but not practical. It would dramatically increase shipping time and cost for anything that goes by truck, which is... pretty much everything. Most likely what will happen is that long haul trucking will be automated with trucks going between regional depots, and all truck driving jobs become lower paying short haul stuff where you go home at night.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Our chances against Russia in forever war 3 apocalypse edition are looking good at least

In the first audio clip, a man says, “One squadron loving lost 200 people...right away, another one lost 10 people…and I don’t know about the third squadron but it got torn up pretty badly, too.... So three squadrons took a beating.”

The man explains that American forces used artillery and helicopter gunships to repel the assault. “They were all shelling the holy gently caress out of it, and our guys didn’t have anything besides the assault rifles…. Nothing at all, I’m not even talking about shoulder-fired SAMs or anything like that…. They tore us to pieces, put us through hell,” he says.

My guys just called me, they are sitting there drinking, many are MIA, it’s a total fuckup, another humiliation.... Nobody gives a gently caress about us.”

In a second clip, a man explains that the battle quickly descended into a massacre as the Russians lost all armored support. “Out of all vehicles only one tank survived and one BRDM (Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle) after the attack, all other BRDMs and tanks were destroyed in the first minutes of the fight, right away.”

In the third clip, a man can be heard explaining the Russian convoy was a few hundred meters away from target when the American forces raised their flag and hit the Russians with a heavy artillery barrage, wiping out the first column instantly. “We got our loving asses beat rough, the Yankees made their point,” he said. “What were they hoping for, that the Yankees are just going to gently caress off?... It’s bullshit, some people can’t even be loving ID’ed, too many people there.”

In another of the clips, a man claims, “There are about 215 loving killed” on the Russian side.

Lmfao

Wait are we in armed conflict with Russia?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shwqa posted:

Not officially.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Shwqa posted:

We have always been at war with Eastasia Russia

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

s̙̲͈̻͙̏̓ͪͯ́t̠͚͙͞a̖̭̖͔̜̩ͧͩ͢y͖̒͗̈͆́ ̖̺̱̥̮͉̕s̫͎̬̖͇͆͛͛a͈̦̣̟͋̊̊ͤ͛̌f̪̠̝̩̜ͮ͜ė,͍̭̪̀͊͌͑̑̀ ͉͓̫̣̩ͮ̀̄͞Ṃ̻̠̲̟͋̅ͯͣe̛̗ͩ̅̅l̦ͮ̾̓ȧ̧̾ͬ̔̀n̢̪̮͔͂ͦͫͤ͑̓͛î͓͙̺ͭͦͮǎ̻͕̖̻̬ͨ̽̆ ͇̿̉̃ͯg̜̲ͦ̍h̘͉̣̹̫͍̥̐̇̓ͭ͛ŏ̶̲͒̓ͮͬs̱͚̪̝͓̼͐̄ͪ̍t̞̥

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:d2a:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1001164006940389381

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Shwqa posted:

A lot of Trump's comments make more sense if you view him as a semi-intelligent weapon designed to gently caress the US hard.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Our chances against Russia in forever war 3 apocalypse edition are looking good at least

In the first audio clip, a man says, “One squadron loving lost 200 people...right away, another one lost 10 people…and I don’t know about the third squadron but it got torn up pretty badly, too.... So three squadrons took a beating.”

The man explains that American forces used artillery and helicopter gunships to repel the assault. “They were all shelling the holy gently caress out of it, and our guys didn’t have anything besides the assault rifles…. Nothing at all, I’m not even talking about shoulder-fired SAMs or anything like that…. They tore us to pieces, put us through hell,” he says.

My guys just called me, they are sitting there drinking, many are MIA, it’s a total fuckup, another humiliation.... Nobody gives a gently caress about us.”

In a second clip, a man explains that the battle quickly descended into a massacre as the Russians lost all armored support. “Out of all vehicles only one tank survived and one BRDM (Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle) after the attack, all other BRDMs and tanks were destroyed in the first minutes of the fight, right away.”

In the third clip, a man can be heard explaining the Russian convoy was a few hundred meters away from target when the American forces raised their flag and hit the Russians with a heavy artillery barrage, wiping out the first column instantly. “We got our loving asses beat rough, the Yankees made their point,” he said. “What were they hoping for, that the Yankees are just going to gently caress off?... It’s bullshit, some people can’t even be loving ID’ed, too many people there.”

In another of the clips, a man claims, “There are about 215 loving killed” on the Russian side.

Lmfao

Can I get a source on this

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Waffle House posted:

Can I get a source on this

Google the first sentence dingus

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jikes posted:

tfw Pitbull is less of a self-promoting merchwhore than the president of these here united states

I thought I'd never say this but Pitbull has literally done more for american citizens than trump will ever do.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQPO4nmFkCI

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Google the first sentence dingus

Oh. This was that incident from 3 months ago in Syria. (Feb 2018). I remember hearing about this. I remember there being a lot of upset on Russian Social Media about Russia's disavowment of these contractors, too.

http://www.newsweek.com/total-f-russian-mercenaries-syria-lament-us-strike-killed-dozens-818073

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1001191910222987264

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1001191736604053504

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah definitely getting CDL to specialize in a life-wrecking job that will be obviated by robots in less than 15 years.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 28, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah definitely getting CDL to specialize in a life-wrecking job that will be obviated by robots in less than 15 years.

Playing Truck Simulator made me all romantic about the lifestyle (despite already knowing it sucks), but then I read about trucking over the last decade and I was like, yeah, gently caress that. Never trust an industry with over 100 percent annual turnover.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My dad came out of retirement from working industrial jobs to do long-haul OTR trucking and seemed to love it, but now I'm starting to realize he just wanted to get away from me and Mom. LOL

Having a Dad who was gone weeks at a time and a Mom who was too sedentary to stop me from doing anything made me a p. crappy teen.

Thanks for reading this post. Ten bucks is cheap therapy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Owlbear Camus posted:

My dad came out of retirement from working industrial jobs to do long-haul OTR trucking and seemed to love it, but now I'm starting to realize he just wanted to get away from me and Mom. LOL

Having a Dad who was gone weeks at a time and a Mom who was too sedentary to stop me from doing anything made me a p. crappy teen.

Thanks for reading this post. Ten bucks is cheap therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagmmO3WS18

which one is your dad

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001212077699149825?s=19

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
gently caress Memorial Day gently caress Veterans Day and gently caress the veterans in general, haven’t done poo poo in the last 68 years except waste our money and kill innocent people

How u feel now, bitch prez?? Get owned

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hmm yes repealing the very unpopular gop tax bill is definitely a big win for the gop Donny goodbrains.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Teikanmi posted:

gently caress Memorial Day gently caress Veterans Day and gently caress the veterans in general, haven’t done poo poo in the last 68 years except waste our money and kill innocent people

The Lord of the Edge

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Trucking fucks you up. See the Doobie thread for proof

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Stupid dog! Stay outta my tax cuts!

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 28, 2018

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

TontoCorazon posted:

I thought I'd never say this but Pitbull has literally done more for american citizens than trump will ever do.

Pitbull is also like an honorary goon after goons rolled an online poll to get him to play a show at a WalMart in Alaska, and he took the whole experience with good humor and grace. http://www.somethingawful.com/twitter-tuesday/thorpe-meets-pitbull/1/

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001220050995511298?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rip cox.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1001217666043047937

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Nah we're fine.

cnut
May 3, 2016

44th? One more and Trump will have the matching cuffs.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Teikanmi posted:

As a veteran I would just like to say that I've always appreciated it when Papa Murphy's gave me a 30% off discount for my service.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExgnVXSAuE

Ah yes, "alcoholic"

Wikipedia posted:

In 2018 former staffers told Politico that Garrett and his wife often assigned them tasks "that were unofficial and personal in nature."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you want it to be embarrassing but also "medical" so people shouldnt feel minded to investigate further

corrupt poo poo lord just doesnt fit the bill

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Goddammit I wish all the republicans who are jumping ship would just come out and say "This president is a childish, destructive lunatic and I can't stand having to put up with his poo poo for two more years". It'd be the best service they could ever provide to their country AND their party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Goddamn what did Trump do to her?

The hospital visit and her move, I wonder if she had a meltdown. Not a forums meltdown, but a legitimate psychological break. I couldnt blame her.