Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Something that ALP strategists should probably be factoring into the mix is that, should they win election, all the Neo-con appointees in Border Farce will stop concealing the number of 'turn-backs', 'turn-back' deaths and concealed boat arrives and start leaking it all to the press. This will make it look like the ALP (or ALP & Greens) have 'lost control of our borders just like we said they would'. Any policy that isn't a straight out rejection of the current arrangements is doomed. Forget any humanitarian aspects this is pure strategy.

ah yes, the famously neocon australian public service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

QANDA FOREVER!

It is my dream to one day be the fat bastard with a beard and a stripey shirt in the audience who asks the panel why we aren't heading to full Communism.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I was in the QANDA audience for some special they did a few years back (world AIDS Day, I think) and it was hilarious because before they started filming, they had the panel come out, say hi, introduce themselves. Only it was filmed in Melbourne, and Amanda Vanstone preceded Michael Kirby. Amanda got a polite golf clap, and Kirby got rapturous applause. She proceeded to sulk for the rest of the filming and only said about five words. 10/10 would watch meltdown again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

gucci bane posted:

Lol I encourage you to do any sort of casual research into the documented behaviour of coalition appointees to CBP/Borderfarce, also former members of the ADF now employed by Wilson to work the camps.

These people aren't Sue from accounting who minutes the local CPSU branch committee meeting; there are shitloads of true believers drawn to these roles who will absofuckinglutely white ant any attempt to introduce accountability, or stop the rapings.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As a counterpoint, it is also incredibly likely that there are bodies buried all over the joint, and disgruntled former employees or servicemen just waiting for the ability to rat on Morrison/Dutton without fear of hyperpartisan reprisal.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It's nice that America is adopting our 'discourage immigrants by plunging them into Hell' approach. Great to see we're leaders for once.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Lol I encourage you to do any sort of casual research into the documented behaviour of coalition appointees to CBP/Borderfarce, also former members of the ADF now employed by Wilson to work the camps.

These people aren't Sue from accounting who minutes the local CPSU branch committee meeting; there are shitloads of true believers drawn to these roles who will absofuckinglutely white ant any attempt to introduce accountability, or stop the rapings.

i dont believe you

i know ppl that worked at the camps and they were just normal lefties who wanted to live on a tropical island for a while.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, which must be why the government made it illegal to tell the media what's going on there with a punishment of several loving years imprisonment.

Don Dongington posted:

As a counterpoint, it is also incredibly likely that there are bodies buried all over the joint, and disgruntled former employees or servicemen just waiting for the ability to rat on Morrison/Dutton without fear of hyperpartisan reprisal.

Literally buried :(

Well, we never were able to find out where all those who die at sea end up, were we?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Only today did I hear about the Labor candidate running for Perth.

Is it just me or does he look like a stock photo of what a Labor politician should look like?

Check it out: https://www.alp.org.au/patrick_gorman

He really looks more cardboard cutout than real.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Gorman? More like gormless, amirite?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more like possum

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gucci bane posted:

i dont believe you

i know ppl that worked at the camps and they were just normal lefties who wanted to live on a tropical island for a while.

the issue is that the higher-ups owe abbott / turnbull / dutton and are true believers.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

the issue is that the higher-ups owe abbott / turnbull / dutton and are true believers.

Yeah but the higher ups are also the first to be gently retired when government changes, it happens every time.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah but the higher ups are also the first to be gently retired when government changes, it happens every time.

'gently retired' = 'taken out back and shot', yeah? I could get behind that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Les Affaires posted:

you can’t retire them all at once

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

keep in mind also that the higher up in the aps you are the more you have to lose from leaks from your department. take mike pezullo, secretary of home affairs; huge piece of poo poo by anyone’s reckoning, but he’s a career public servant who spent years in labor ministerial offices including as deputy chief of staff to beazley in opposition. he’s not going to throw away decades of experience and networking to score points for the lnp. in addition, he has a personal interest in stopping leaks from his department to create good working relations with his ministers.

now i could see someone like john lloyd, apsc commissioner, leaking to damage a labor government. however the downside to the lnp parachuting an ipa dickhead into the commissioner position is that there’s not much he can do to help them once they leave government. he’ll also be one of the first to go on a change of government as he’s so obviously partisan.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Got two heroic defenders of traditional western values touring the country in July - Stefan Molyneux and Lauren Southern. Molyneux is a red pill-y youtube 'philosopher' who talks like a cult leader. Southern got arrested for firing a flare at a passenger ship

Cash is in front of Estimates again today

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

Why is this moving so slowly? Wasn't she being investigated by the AFP?

bandaid.friend posted:

Got two heroic defenders of traditional western values touring the country in July - Stefan Molyneux and Lauren Southern. Molyneux is a red pill-y youtube 'philosopher' who talks like a cult leader. Southern got arrested for firing a flare at a passenger ship

Hopefully like Milo they get turnouts in the single digit.

Or that like the UK we ban Southern from entering the country.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why is this moving so slowly? Wasn't she being investigated by the AFP?

I think she keeps on weaselling her way out of answering questions

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It takes time to check behind all the white boards in parliament to find her.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i think we should pay barnaby $150,000 to go to the moon, and then we should blow up the moon

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bandaid.friend posted:

It was a Doctors Without Borders vessel.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Refusing to give proper answers and dragging poo poo on for this long should be deemed as working contrary to Australian interests and be grounds for dismissal / imprisonment / execution

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gucci bane posted:

Lol.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-06/second-senior-australian-border-force-officer-on-leave/8682460

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-03/border-force-commissioner-on-leave-amid-external-investigation/8674600

Note how they don't even look like actual public servants (Blue pin stripe suit ). Well it isn't a surprise they are all men now is it?

Also while I'm speculating about the future this is exactly what happened during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd years. Once NTATA got in notice how quickly the boats stopped after the whole agency ceased reporting on them? 'On water matters' anyone?

hooman posted:

Wow.

Quick, everyone race to the bottom!
If only tax rate was the only thing that helped companies do business in the corporate regulators arsenal :rolleyes:

Someone let the PC genie out of the bottle again:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-29/superannuation-report-says-retiree-nest-eggs-are-being-diluted/9809306

quote:

Do industry funds still outperform retail funds?

The report also questions the claim that industry superannuation funds always outperform retail funds and says that some industry funds are also among the underperformers. "Industry funds on average have clearly outperformed retail funds over the past decade but unfortunately for fund members they don't all enjoy the average experience," Ms Chester said.

We found one industry fund, run by the shoppies, that was basically a money laundering facility for the ALP right therefore....

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hopefully like Milo they get turnouts in the single digit.

Or that like the UK we ban Southern from entering the country.

https://mobile.twitter.com/braddybb/status/1001252249765494785

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't get the big business tax cuts. They already don't pay, so is it just to rub it in our faces or what?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AirlieWalsh/status/1001246462099910656

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Companies that don't have the mental faculties to avoid paying tax are getting scammed and must be protected from accidentally contributing to society

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't get the big business tax cuts. They already don't pay, so is it just to rub it in our faces or what?

You have to understand that the mindset of our political class is hierarchical: they consider big business to be a rung above them (since it is their preferred destination after politics) and there are other rungs, among them US right-wing think tanks. In such a mindset, it doesn't matter whether the tax cuts have any utility at all as long as they give them. On top of this, in the last decade, partisanship has intensified, and the governing party of the day ruthlessly roots out the oppositions political and public service appointments. This is the real culture war for them, and they intend to destroy the public service as a neutral buffer between them and the things they desire, handouts to those who will secure them a cushy appointment.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Today the Telegraph makes an implied threat. If two people protest at one of her talks they'll be on about leftist violence

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

Today the Telegraph makes an implied threat. If two people protest at one of her talks they'll be on about leftist violence

Lol look at this literal terrorist.

Imagine if she were anywhere else on the political spectrum/non-white. She'd be banned from entering the country.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"Do you want to retain your culture?" asks Canadian woman wearing US flag.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
all leftist protests should be peaceful

(peaceful=neither seen, heard nor existent)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who cares about some idiot nobody in the newspaper with some dead, gay ideology.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Who cares about some idiot nobody in the newspaper with some dead, gay ideology.

If you think white people being cunts is a dead gay ideology I don't know what to tell you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I like how it's her political opponents she's against, not any actual case in particular. She's just against "the left" not for anything.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They keep showing a video of Barnaby on the abc news channel where the lighting makes him look like a weird pink monster.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They keep showing a video of Barnaby on the abc news channel where the lighting makes him look like a weird pink monster.

it's not the lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

• Locked thread