Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandorKP posted:

They don't pick up thier dog poo poo either. Then others scream obscenities at people in town as we walk our dogs. Yay.

I used to actually say things to people but one time I called out some Ed Hardy douche bro and his large teenage son for being an rear end in a top hat to ducks in a park (during baby duck season) and almost got my rear end beat. I wish we lived in a society in which people were capable of feeling shame for their bad behavior, but alas I'm not sure such a thing even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was just on a popular trail in anchorage and there was dog poo poo everywhere there too. So it’s not just a WA/OR thing where people are selfish shitheads.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I was just on a popular trail in anchorage and there was dog poo poo everywhere there too. So it’s not just a WA/OR thing where people are selfish shitheads.

I don't doubt it it's just annoying when there's like twenty prominent NO DOGS ALLOWED signs at pretty much every state park trailhead. Of course everybody's ill behaved lovely dog is a "service animal" now so... :rolleyes:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd rather have dogs around than screaming children when trying to enjoy a hike, honestly.

Just be glad most trails aren't open to horse people. Now THOSE are some turds.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javid posted:

I'd rather have dogs around than screaming children when trying to enjoy a hike, honestly.

Just be glad most trails aren't open to horse people. Now THOSE are some turds.

No doubt, and I know it sounds like I'm some dog hating weirdo, it's not that. It's just, there are very good reasons why dogs aren't allowed in State Parks and it's frustrating that so many people just don't give a gently caress.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bad dog owners are the worst. I own two pups myself and I would never claim them to be 'service animals' to get them into somewhere they shouldn't go.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
nothing east of the cascades is the pacific northwest

what the gently caress

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what the gently caress
True, but we drag eastern Washington and Oregon along with us anyway, precisely because the fuckers hate it so much.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what the gently caress
it's a real shame the poll results aren't public. a real shame.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Yeah and unfortunately as long as the misses has a M-F job that's what we get for the time being. Unless we get up early enough to be at a trailhead by 7 or 8 it's usually not worth it. Seen a lot of people taking their dogs into State Parks lately too; people just don't seem to give a gently caress about anyone else.

This is probably very "old man yells at cloud" ish. :smith:
If you aren't already at the summit waiting for the sun to rise are you even really hiking?

I've been doing a different trail/mountain every weekend. I did Mt Si a few weeks ago and when I got there at 7:00 AM two of the parking lot segments were already full. I did Teneriffe this Saturday and even when I came down at about 2:00 PM there was hardly anyone in the parking lot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mt Si is a pretty easy pass these days given how busy it always is. Especially when there are better/as good hikes not too far away.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Mt Si is a pretty easy pass these days given how busy it always is. Especially when there are better/as good hikes not too far away.

Yeah there is so much. I've yet to run out of great trails within 15 minutes. I've had relatives visit and I try to explain: no all of them, all of these mountains you can see have great trail systems.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I vote for California. :colbert:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

I vote for California. :colbert:
mods????? mods???????????

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Umm, not really. Wouldn't want outsiders to know how many folks here think B.C. and OR aren't Pacific NW.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oops
https://twitter.com/chiefferraris/status/1001671380574851072
https://twitter.com/MCSOInTheKnow/status/1001670507983335424

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

lmao

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
A Civil emergency? I had better notify The Police, who I am sure don't already know about it.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/drinking-water-advisory.aspx posted:

WHY IS THERE AN ADVISORY?

Low levels of cylindrospermopsin and microcystin (cyanotoxins) have been found in treated drinking water. These toxins are created by algal blooms in the source of City of Salem drinking water, Detroit Reservoir.

To ensure the greatest quality of drinking water, City of Salem voluntarily samples for such toxins during algal events. Samples were collected on May 23, 2018 and May 25, 2018. Results confirmed the presence of cyanotoxins in the drinking water at levels above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Cyanotoxins National Drinking Water Health Advisories.

Levels of toxins have been detected in the City of Salem water system that supplies water to City of Salem, City of Turner, Suburban East Salem Water District, and Orchard Heights Water Association.

Children under the age of six, people with compromised immune systems, people receiving dialysis treatment, people with pre-existing liver conditions, pets, pregnant women or nursing mothers, or other sensitive populations should follow this advisory. At this time, people not on this list may continue to drink the water unless additional messaging is received. Please visit cityofsalem.net for the most up to date information.

City of Salem is continuing to adjust treatment operations to reduce concentrations of cyanotoxins as quickly as possible.

Most people shouldn't be affected by this but it seems to be causing a minor freak out here. Now we won't be ready for an attack by North Korea.

mrchoupon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 30, 2018

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what the gently caress

It's nice to feel wanted.

Also I enjoy that cityofsalem.net tells you to go to cityofsalem.net for more info.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mrchoupon posted:

Most people shouldn't be affected by this but it seems to be causing a minor freak out here. Now we won't be ready for an attack by North Korea.

because stop dropping and rolling will save you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/senjeffmerkley/status/1003434454587723776

I had to check but he's not up for reelection until 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I saw people collecting signatures for a single payer universal healthcare ballot initiative Thursday. Little old Lady basically led with: gently caress Tim Eyman.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The Poor People's Campaign will be in the Washington state capitol on Monday, doing some Direct Actions babey http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article210987639.html

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BrandorKP posted:

Little old Lady basically led with: gently caress Tim Eyman.

This is a good way to get positive attention in Washington. gently caress Tim Eyman.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peachfart posted:

This is a good way to get positive attention in Washington. gently caress Tim Eyman.

A friend of mine had the pleasure of encountering him a few weeks back and he’s every bit the spiteful, entitled Mukilteo rear end in a top hat you think he is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Peachfart posted:

She was raking in the signitures. I don't sign anything and she nabbed mine.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I saw someone asking for signatures for something like "no grocery tax", does anyone know the specifics on that are?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

GodFish posted:

I saw someone asking for signatures for something like "no grocery tax", does anyone know the specifics on that are?

Grocery stores want to be tax exempt because you see any tax on a grocery store is a hidden sales tax on groceries. It really is that stupid.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-sales-tax-groceries-ballot-measure-initiative/

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Ban_Tax_on_Groceries_Initiative_(2018)

Or less dismissively: in 2016 grocery stores used the hidden sales tax argument to defeat a corporate tax hike. It was a very successful if dishonest strategy and they determined that they can use the same argument to get a huge break from future taxes on revenue from selling food so Walmart and Kroger are going for the prize.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 10, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

xrunner posted:

Grocery stores want to be tax exempt because you see any tax on a grocery store is a hidden sales tax on groceries. It really is that stupid.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-sales-tax-groceries-ballot-measure-initiative/

Or less dismissively: in 2016 grocery stores used the hidden sales tax argument to defeat a corporate tax hike. It was a very successful if dishonest strategy and they determined that they can use the same argument to get a huge break from future taxes on revenue from selling food so Walmart and Kroger are going for the prize.

I had a feeling it was something like that, thanks.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

xrunner posted:

Hot take: Walmart and Fred Meyer aren't grocers. They are retail stores that have a grocery section.

Is Target a grocer because they sell milk, a few frozen dinners and an anemic assortment of vegetables?

Honest question: Why are they seeking a constitutional amendment to prohibit sales taxes on grocers if sales tax is already prohibited by the Oregon constitution? Are they literally making the argument that the taxes on alcohol, tobacco and gasoline are prohibitively expensive to their businesses?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

Hot take: Walmart and Fred Meyer aren't grocers. They are retail stores that have a grocery section.

Is Target a grocer because they sell milk, a few frozen dinners and an anemic assortment of vegetables?

Honest question: Why are they seeking a constitutional amendment to prohibit sales taxes on grocers if sales tax is already prohibited by the Oregon constitution? Are they literally making the argument that the taxes on alcohol, tobacco and gasoline are prohibitively expensive to their businesses?

what the gently caress are you talking about Fred Meyer doesn't sell very much other than groceries
e: my roommate saw me post this and apparently the one fred meyer I went to isn't typical

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I grew up next to a Fred Meyer with zero groceries.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

whomupclicklike posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about Fred Meyer doesn't sell very much other than groceries
e: my roommate saw me post this and apparently the one fred meyer I went to isn't typical

I would (and will) make the argument that the average Fred Meyer is 35% Home & Garden, 30% Apparel, 20% Consumer Goods, 10% Grocery, 5% Misc. by square footage. I'm not convinced that based on my own recognition bias that square footage == sales, but I absolutely would put them in the same bucket as Safeway, Albertsons, Grocery Outlet, WinCo.

My experience (growing up) who's family shopped at Fred Meyer, their grocery section(s) were an afterthought and perhaps that's biased by the fact that the two nearest ones to me (again growing up) underwent pretty heavy remodeling to expand their grocery/produce section(s).

I've always associated them with the Black Friday FRED MEYER Sock Sale, or the place you go to buy patio furniture. Not the place you buy ears of corn or a cut of meat for a Sunday roast. :shrug:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a Fred Meyer's in Redmond with a full sized grocery store attached to a full sized clothing store and full sized home and garden store

It is very large

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a Fred Meyer's in Redmond with a full sized grocery store attached to a full sized clothing store and full sized home and garden store

It is very large
You forgot the loft.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

This isn’t true as far as I know. Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax but it’s not constitutionally prohibited. Ashland has a local restaurant/bar sales tax. And this measure goes well beyond sales taxes. And arguably beyond grocers (it looks like it would also prevent taxes on restaurant sales - that is a very broad definition of groceries).

quote:

Measure prohibits “sales tax, gross receipts tax, commercial activity tax, value-added tax, excise tax, privilege tax, and any other similar tax on sale of groceries.” “Groceries” defined as “any raw or processed food or beverage intended for human consumption.”

So it would prevent a sales tax which honestly isn’t even a political reality, yes. But it would also prevent sugary drink taxes imposed on distributors based on weight (which - I’m not sure I support those taxes but I don’t think we need a blanket ban) and it would prevent something like a tax on gross receipts over a high threshold (something like the defeated measure 97) and honestly depending on how it gets interpreted it would prevent a rate increase from the Multnomah county business license tax on these products [edit:I’m wrong on that one - I looked it up and it’s a tax on net income and not gross receipts like I had thought]

It’s very dumb and it’s because grocery retailers saw how well their measure 97 propaganda worked and they think they can get a blanket constitutional carve out for their business. Because people who sell food shouldn’t pay taxes because that means through the transitive property it’s a sales tax on food!

Edit: it’s dumb and pointless and I give it a 75% chance of success.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 10, 2018

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't believe this poo poo is going on in our own back yard

http://kuow.org/post/immigrant-moms-seatac-prison-could-hear-their-children-screaming

quote:

“In most cases, they were taken into a different room like, ‘Here we’re going take your photograph,’” said U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal. “Then after the photo was taken, they were taken to a different room from their child. So they never got to say goodbye.”

I need to do something about this. Anything. I feel like we are watching horrible atrocities and I just can't stomach not doing anything about it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

I can't believe this poo poo is going on in our own back yard

http://kuow.org/post/immigrant-moms-seatac-prison-could-hear-their-children-screaming

I need to do something about this. Anything. I feel like we are watching horrible atrocities and I just can't stomach not doing anything about it

There's a USCIS office in 1000 2nd Avenue leased from Martin Selig. Protesting outside of their is an option. Or protesting outside of Martin Selig's office (Martin Selig is also a piece of poo poo). You can write your congressperson, or your city council person, but if you're leaving in a district controlled by someone from the Burgess faction of the council (Bagshaw, Harrell, Johnson, Herbold), good loving luck. And other than ordering the police not to work with Immigration, there's not a ton they can do. Same with the County Council and the Sheriff's Office.

There's also the detention office in Tacoma, but again, not a ton can be done, other than protesting. Write your Congressperson/Senators, encourage them not to support the Pelosi/Schumer Trump Collaboration cabal.

poo poo's hosed, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

There's a USCIS office in 1000 2nd Avenue leased from Martin Selig. Protesting outside of their is an option. Or protesting outside of Martin Selig's office (Martin Selig is also a piece of poo poo). You can write your congressperson, or your city council person, but if you're leaving in a district controlled by someone from the Burgess faction of the council (Bagshaw, Harrell, Johnson, Herbold), good loving luck. And other than ordering the police not to work with Immigration, there's not a ton they can do. Same with the County Council and the Sheriff's Office.

There's also the detention office in Tacoma, but again, not a ton can be done, other than protesting. Write your Congressperson/Senators, encourage them not to support the Pelosi/Schumer Trump Collaboration cabal.

poo poo's hosed, yo.

I've already got Jayapal as my congress rep so that's covered. Murray and Cantwell have been against this poo poo publicly from what i've seen. Inslee was down there yesterday trying to bring attention to it. Protesting is about all that's left I guess. :\