Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In an alternate universe, Kirishima is the protagonist of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm just glad Justin Cook got another high-profile role, he's criminally under-represented.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hunt11 posted:

She understands full well just how much she could just wreck the economy by herself with her quirk so whenever possible she will buy stuff instead of creating it herself.

She's a coward because she refuses to upend the capitalist world order.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

Always looking for an excuse to post this:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pakled posted:

And it's much weaker for it.

Kirishima is great, but part of what makes him work is that he's a Conventional Shonen Hero as supporting cast. It lets him fail in different ways than he could as the lead, and makes things that would be predictable in a hero (oh, look, he befriended the talented rear end in a top hat. Never seen THAT before.) actually feel like expressions of his personality instead of narrative checkmarks. It also lets Deku be the smart, muttery weirdo in the lead.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Eej posted:

that's villain talk, bub

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rhonne posted:

I think my favorite part about this is still Todoroki's hand covering his face. On one level, it's exactly the kind of goofy angsty pose I'd expect out of Tokoyami, but I also know it's absolutely being used as an excuse so that Horikoshi doesn't have to figure out what face to draw on Todoroki. If it's hard enough for Horikoshi to get Todoroki's expression for his own personality right, how the hell is he going to get it right as a representation of a character with a beak? By not drawing it, that's how.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Holy poo poo Momo as Bakugo sounds amazing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
a true hero ensures that people toil in de facto slavery conditions to dig diamonds out of the ground because you wouldn't want to upset some rich people now would you

imagine if she sat down once a week and synthesized a jar of biologicals or antiretrovirals worth several hundred thousand dollars and gave them to the local health authority for distribution

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
MHA's setting is a glittering utopian society that's also a ruthless candy-coated police state if you turn your head and squint

guess it's just a superhero thing

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Holy poo poo Momo as Bakugo sounds amazing

Bakugo as Momo is pretty good too. And Tsuyu looks ready to gently caress someone up.

I also kind of like Deku's hair pushed back like that, wish we got to see that more often.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Eej posted:

Give her a couple years and she'll totally do that in her rebel teen phase.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Momomo posted:

Give her a couple years and she'll totally do that in her rebel teen phase.

"This is not a phase, mom! I will make my own nukes if I want to!"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What if Momo just made a gun?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I think we'd end up with a Shotgun Wizard scenario.

That's probably why she's limited herself to archaic cannon emplacements so far. Powerful, but kinda impossible for others to use after their one shot and really hard to carry/steal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bakugo with the ability to create whatever he wants and all he does is make every kind of explosive known, and a few he cobbles together because he doesn't stop to think "maybe having ten different triggers for twenty explosives fused together is a bad idea"

But drat if it doesn't get the job done

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

MHA's setting is a glittering utopian society that's also a ruthless candy-coated police state if you turn your head and squint

guess it's just a superhero thing
Horikoshi's favorite hero is Spiderman, but when asked for American comics to recommend to his fans he recommends Astro City and Super!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New viewer post here: I'm at episode 26 and really digging it so far, seems like a refinement of the Naruto formula the lets it stick around the good bit (child fighting tournaments) for longer. Interestingly it seems to do a good job on building on all the secondary characters so far, but without devoting episodes to fights between what amount to two new characters.

See you when I'm caught up!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

BizarroAzrael posted:

New viewer post here: I'm at episode 26 and really digging it so far, seems like a refinement of the Naruto formula the lets it stick around the good bit (child fighting tournaments) for longer. Interestingly it seems to do a good job on building on all the secondary characters so far, but without devoting episodes to fights between what amount to two new characters.

See you when I'm caught up!

The problem with this statement is the implication that the other parts of MHA aren't also the good bits.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's more implying that Naruto has not good bits.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

oh jay posted:

It's more implying that Naruto has not good bits.

Yeah it's this.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I think we'd end up with a Shotgun Wizard scenario.

A wizard is never right, nor is he wrong, he acts precisely as he means to.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Amstrad posted:

A wizard is never right, nor is he wrong, he acts precisely as he means to.

And sometimes that action is a pump-action.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi's favorite hero is Spiderman, but when asked for American comics to recommend to his fans he recommends Astro City and Super!

Astro City is so good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pakled posted:

That'd be like, if she started making gold by the pound, or consumer products by the thousands. Creating four outfits would do gently caress and all to the economy.

I'm probably overthinking this, but then so would she, she has to eat to use her power which depending on how much she spends on the food could more than balance what she makes.

Eej posted:

But also this.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It's jumping back a couple of pages of discussion, but to say that Deku's arm injuries have no bearing on the story and no emotional pay-off is kinda short sighted.

It's literally been his arc from the moment Aizawa stopped him during the ball toss, and it'll be his arc for the foreseeable future too, just this episode we had, not just the doctor telling him to stop loving up his arms, but Deku openly bawling his eyes out because he failed to save someone who should have been in his reach but wasn't because he hosed himself up too bad.

I also can't think of any shonen anime that has made this kind of ultimatum on its main character. Sure you have your "main hero can't use his full power because of magical curse/illness/fear of hurting people/etc" arcs but never does someone go up to Luffy and say "hey, your arms are suffering tensile stress from all that rubbery punching, if you do that 2 or 3 more times they're gonna snap off like a Stretch Armstrong put in liquid hydrogen.", that threat is simply never there.

Ultimately Midoriya's arc is about not only his punching loving up his arms, but also about how this impacts his ability to act as a hero and save people, to be a future Symbol of Peace. To call it toothless after the last episode is really bizarre.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Mostly I'm just surprised at the people who say his self injury has no consequences in the same breath that they criticize poor Inko for being concerned that her son just exploded his arms off for the third time in a year.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I personally can't wait for Deku to headbutt all of the villains as his only form of attack.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Conot posted:

It's jumping back a couple of pages of discussion, but to say that Deku's arm injuries have no bearing on the story and no emotional pay-off is kinda short sighted.

It's literally been his arc from the moment Aizawa stopped him during the ball toss, and it'll be his arc for the foreseeable future too, just this episode we had, not just the doctor telling him to stop loving up his arms, but Deku openly bawling his eyes out because he failed to save someone who should have been in his reach but wasn't because he hosed himself up too bad.

I also can't think of any shonen anime that has made this kind of ultimatum on its main character. Sure you have your "main hero can't use his full power because of magical curse/illness/fear of hurting people/etc" arcs but never does someone go up to Luffy and say "hey, your arms are suffering tensile stress from all that rubbery punching, if you do that 2 or 3 more times they're gonna snap off like a Stretch Armstrong put in liquid hydrogen.", that threat is simply never there.

Ultimately Midoriya's arc is about not only his punching loving up his arms, but also about how this impacts his ability to act as a hero and save people, to be a future Symbol of Peace. To call it toothless after the last episode is really bizarre.

when the show states "you have to stop using that ability. no, really, it'll destroy your arms if you do it again" it sets an expectation that midoriya's new challenge is growing into being a hero that doesn't have that get out of jail free card to throw around. it sets up a clear consequence for a clear action, but when he does that for the second time and doesn't get the expected consequence, that consequence kinda stops having meaning? like, yeah, midoriya has scars all over his arms now and has a (mostly offscreen) tough conversation with his mother, but those things are kind of superficial. it's like, a day later and he seems to have full use of his arms back, honestly i'd have been perfectly satisfied with "no, really, you have to sit this next one out because you did the thing we told you not to do. your arms are hosed up, but with a little more time they'll be mostly functional."

ultimately it feels kind of like the threat of midoriya losing his arms isn't real. because, uh, it isn't, obviously:

Mordaedil posted:

I personally can't wait for Deku to headbutt all of the villains as his only form of attack.

but the threat doesn't even really exist to prevent him from loving his arms up again. as it is, we're basically flat out told "he still has another 1 or 2 of these left in him with little consequence anyway, BUT HOO BOY HE BETTER NOT DO MORE THAN THAT." it feels like, well, he isn't actually limited to not using his power like that, we're just kinda told that he is so it's more dramatic when he does it anyway.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 29, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

when the show states "you have to stop using that ability. no, really, it'll destroy your arms if you do it again" it sets an expectation that midoriya's new challenge is growing into being a hero that doesn't have that get out of jail free card to throw around. it sets up a clear consequence for a clear action, but when he does that for the second time and doesn't get the expected consequence, that consequence kinda stops having meaning? like, yeah, midoriya has scars all over his arms now and has a (mostly offscreen) tough conversation with his mother, but those things are kind of superficial. it's like, a day later and he seems to have full use of his arms back, honestly i'd have been perfectly satisfied with "no, really, you have to sit this next one out because you did the thing we told you not to do. your arms are hosed up, but with a little more time they'll be mostly functional."

ultimately it feels kind of like the threat of midoriya losing his arms isn't real. because, uh, it isn't, obviously:

Sure, he's never going to actually lose his arms because its a shonen series and MHA ending with "lmao midoriya became a reverse paraplegic and All Might commited ritual seppuku at the dishonor he brought on OFA's legacy by giving it to someone unprepared and also Bakugou was right all along" isn't really in keeping with WSJ's theme nor is it the kind of tone that's been established

That doesn't stop it being a very real motivation to the characters. No one believes Ichigo is going to subsume into a hollow when it's stated as a possibility in episode 19 of Bleach but it's still a motivation that holds weight in story because in a non-shonen world it could very easily happen. Even if we, the watcher, know that there is no way Midoriya is going to blow his arms off, it still remains a motivation and a limiter placed on Deku, one that he has noticeably not broken since the Sports Arc, which in-universe has been something like 4 months, and only because he felt he had no choice but to do so in order to save a civilian.

Also didn't they say Midoriya had been conked out for several days while getting constant healing from recovery girl? It lessens the impact, sure, but its not like he naturally healed up after a single day.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

but the threat doesn't even really exist to prevent him from loving his arms up again. as it is, we're basically flat out told "he still has another 1 or 2 of these left in him with little consequence anyway, BUT HOO BOY HE BETTER NOT DO MORE THAN THAT." it feels like, well, he isn't actually limited to not using his power like that, we're just kinda told that he is so it's more dramatic when he does it anyway.

This is a dumb argument, a dumb argument that could also be used to say that All Might's injury and deterioration doesn't actually have consequences or add tension. Your own expectations are the real issue here, the show never said that the next time he overexerted himself would result in specific consequences, it stated something much more vague than that and you read what you wanted into that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jiro and Hagakure are still unconscious a week after receiving an unmonitored dose of anesthetics? Prognosis is looking preeeetty grim at this point

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Jiro and Hagakure are still unconscious a week after receiving an unmonitored dose of anesthetics? Prognosis is looking preeeetty grim at this point

Have they said how many of the Class B kids are still out after they got hit with the gas?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Flavahbeast posted:

Ok. I'm gonna have to be honest.

I've heard their names mentioned at least twice since then and I still have no idea who these characters are.

edit: Oh it's the two girls. I have a pretty big problem remembering all these characters by name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which is weird because the show puts namecards on every character the first time they appear in each episode.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Waffleman_ posted:

Which is weird because the show puts namecards on every character the first time they appear in each episode.

Doesn't help Hagakure, she never appears.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Ok. I'm gonna have to be honest.

I've heard their names mentioned at least twice since then and I still have no idea who these characters are.

edit: Oh it's the two girls. I have a pretty big problem remembering all these characters by name.

lol, to think someone complained about them because they felt they didn't need to be reminded every week who these people were.

Well, there you go. The reason why they do that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm bad with names already, especially foreign names. So the name cards help.

My brain keeps swapping Jirou and Ojirou. I usually double check before writing out a name.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you think Hagakure was born invisible, or that it happened when her quirk developed? Imagine being the poor doctor that has to deliver an invisible baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rhonne posted:

Do you think Hagakure was born invisible, or that it happened when her quirk developed? Imagine being the poor doctor that has to deliver an invisible baby.
Her invisibility is heteromorphic, she's always been that way.