Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder how much better Hotel Transylvania would have been perceived if Adam Sandler wasn't involved at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Probably not at all. People love Adam Sandler, they just don't like Adam Sandler/Happy Madison movies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I watched the first one and was pretty unimpressed. I miiight have watched the second one but it's just as likely that I saw clips on youtube. I don't remember.

Theyre both terrible films but the second is at least a better lesson and film even if it has some weird attitudes to miscegenation.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Adam Sandler isn't the problem with the Hotel Transylvania franchise. I do like the animation in the first one though but everything else wasn't that good

Edit: wait forgot about THE ZING

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked the first Hotel Transylvania fine. It felt like it had some kind of a heart, although the end dance party rap off was like actually being tortured IRL.

Like I think that whole scene with Dracula and uh... Andy Samberg... where Dracula tells him about what happened to his wife and talking about Mavis liking him, etc. That's a good little scene! And the animation in both movies is stellar. But the second movie is a story that just didn't need to be told. No one cares about Mavis' and Andy Samberg's kid.

Also I want that poor werewolf dad to get some sleep

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder how much better Hotel Transylvania would have been perceived if Adam Sandler wasn't involved at all.

A co-worker of mine loves those movies and didn't even realize Adam Sandler was in them until I mentioned I'm not really a fan of him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Macaluso posted:

I liked the first Hotel Transylvania fine. It felt like it had some kind of a heart, although the end dance party rap off was like actually being tortured IRL.

Like I think that whole scene with Dracula and uh... Andy Samberg... where Dracula tells him about what happened to his wife and talking about Mavis liking him, etc. That's a good little scene! And the animation in both movies is stellar. But the second movie is a story that just didn't need to be told. No one cares about Mavis' and Andy Samberg's kid.

Also I want that poor werewolf dad to get some sleep

The whole Zing thing feels like an asspull though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think Hotel Translyvania would be better if the movie didn't decide to focus way too much on Adam Sandler and his friends. I feel like the daughter/love interest barely got any character development compared to Adam Sandler's character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hotel Transylvania 2 was on its way on having a perfectly good, rarely seen lesson that a lot of parents need to be taught but they hosed it all up at the very end

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I havn't seen Hotel Transylvania 2 but I was kind of surprised/impressed at how young Mavis and Andy Samberg looked like they were to be parents.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Steve Buscemi werewolf character is gold. I want a spin-off.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Calaveron posted:

Hotel Transylvania 2 was on its way on having a perfectly good, rarely seen lesson that a lot of parents need to be taught but they hosed it all up at the very end

Wait, could you elaborate on this? I thought the moral was "love your children even if they are not what you want them to be"?
...wait, does it turn out that the baby has vampire powers after all? :C

Barudak
May 7, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, could you elaborate on this? I thought the moral was "love your children even if they are not what you want them to be"?
...wait, does it turn out that the baby has vampire powers after all? :C

Yes the baby has powers all along

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Barudak posted:

Yes the baby has powers all along

Much like The Incredibles funny enough.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nude posted:

Much like The Incredibles funny enough.

The Incredibles never really brought up Jack Jack not having powers as an issue though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Incredibles never really brought up Jack Jack not having powers as an issue though.

That's because it wasn't an issue up to that point, if he'd gotten to be 4 or 5 and still didn't have powers they were just gonna drown him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Eh, the kid having vampire powers doesn't really matter. The grandpa comes to his senses about him before it's revealed that he has the powers. The point of "love your children no matter what" still stands, although the first movie has a pretty similar message so it's not really all that necessary in the first place

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

The whole Zing thing feels like an asspull though.

My roommate really, REALLY hates the "zing" thing because they basically pushed "you can only find your true love once and only once" crap. He was offended since he saw it after his mother had died and his father was about to marry his new step-mother and was actually happy. But nope. Movie says you can't find another person if your other love dies.

I think he hates Adam Sandler too. Which is fair.

Calaveron posted:

Hotel Transylvania 2 removed the funniest joke in the whole movie (the diabetes one) JUST because of two whiny soccer moms. It's not even in the home release. Sony caved to those two people (yes, only two...I checked) making a bunch of noise online. and removed it everywhere.

The two claimed that the joke (A monster was eating an entire cake and another monster says "Remember kids! The real monster is diabetes!") was insulting to children with diabetes. Except it's not because they were going on about Type 1 Diabetes, the joke is about Type 2. They claimed their children were bullied over it or some lie.

It's about as bad as the recent Show Dogs joke censoring because of a conservative group in the US. That got so much stink that an Australian theater banned the movie and the group tried to force Regal and AMC to remove it here. So, despite not wanting to back down at first, the studio just caved and removed the joke from all showings in the US this past Friday.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 29, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be fair the Show Dogs thing was, like, legitimately hosed up in a way it's stunning nobody noticed prior to the movie's release

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just looked that up and holy poo poo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean...is it?

like, when the australian government's classification board goes out of their way to say the complaints are wrong and idiotic you know something's up because our government is a lot stricter on this sort of thing (see here: http://www.classification.gov.au/Public/Resources/Documents/2018-media-releases/25may2018--classification-of-the-film-show-dogs.pdf)

(for example, they banned an episode of peppa pig because its moral was "spiders aren't scary" and this is a bad message for a children's show in australia)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did you read about the joke? It's dogs telling other dogs that to get ahead in the world, sometimes Master has to touch their genitals. Even if they don't understand why, you've just got to go to your happy place and close ypur eyes and ignore it, because parts of the world are inconceivable as a dog so just let them touch your genitals.

Do you not see a problem with that?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty amazing they didn't realize what the reaction would be, especially what with just about everyone in Hollywood being outed as sex fiends the past year or so.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Also double weird now to have a cast member of Arrested Development mansplaining to you why it's not a big deal

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Did you read about the joke? It's dogs telling other dogs that to get ahead in the world, sometimes Master has to touch their genitals. Even if they don't understand why, you've just got to go to your happy place and close ypur eyes and ignore it, because parts of the world are inconceivable as a dog so just let them touch your genitals.

Do you not see a problem with that?

this seems like a classic case of adults thinking of the worst possible interpretation of a way a child could see something

like, a kid's actual response to this is "oh yeah like when i go to the doctor and they have to stick weird things in my ears and nose", not "being sexually molested is great"

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, but probably not to the kid inside those situations. A movie, that says extremely similar things that Uncle A loving Monster does, might make them think their situation is normal. That it's best to accept the abuse, that it's normal, that they shouldn't seek help or try fighting it.

I'm not going to say that it's a likely chance that world and this movie would overlap, but as a society we should actively fight a movie which makes a joke out of someone (who has a distinct power over the other character) making someone uncomfortable by touching them in a sensitive (emotionally and physically) area.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's literally 'if you want to win you must let the stranger touch you'. It's amazingly tone deaf.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The joke was pretty ignorant of the implications at best and really creepy and gross at worst.

My main concern is now there's a precedent set that tells pretty much anyone that if you hate something about a movie, complain enough and you 100% will get your way and it'll be edited while it's still in theaters and maybe on home release too.

I'm sure there's many scenes in movies that would be nitpicked into oblivion now for being "too much". Like Up's opening scenes, Sid treating the toys like he does, Lotso trying to incinerate the toys, and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 1's opening scene of Peter Quill's mother dying of cancer. People actually complained that the latter's opening scene was "too much" and that they couldn't sit through it because it was so sad.

My roommate brought up a good point that this should've been used as learning experience. Watch the movie with your kid and explain that that scene does NOT mean you should just be ok with being touched like that if you're not comfortable. But no, no one wants to do that, they'd rather complain until the scene is removed and they don't have to talk about it if their kid sees it. However, as my roommate pointed out, if they didn't talk about it and the kid saw that scene and then it unfortunately happened to them, they'd possibly get the wrong idea.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

My roommate brought up a good point that this should've been used as learning experience. Watch the movie with your kid and explain that that scene does NOT mean you should just be ok with being touched like that if you're not comfortable. But no, no one wants to do that, they'd rather complain until the scene is removed and they don't have to talk about it if their kid sees it. However, as my roommate pointed out, if they didn't talk about it and the kid saw that scene and then it unfortunately happened to them, they'd possibly get the wrong idea.

I think the better solution is not taking your kid to a creepy movie where they think a scene about forced genital touching is a good idea.

Also, if a studio thinks that the scene is a hill worth dying for, then they shouldn't be surprised there are consequences. Why the hell would theaters put out their necks like that for a lovely children's movie? Nobody is obligated to distribute a bad film.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Macaluso posted:

Eh, the kid having vampire powers doesn't really matter. The grandpa comes to his senses about him before it's revealed that he has the powers. The point of "love your children no matter what" still stands, although the first movie has a pretty similar message so it's not really all that necessary in the first place

Yeah but then the movie has its cake and eats it too

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Show Dogs just looked pretty loving awful, and given the premise, we're probably going to get a bunch of gay stereotypes, honestly the dog junk touching scene probably should've been cut for how creepy it was.

It says something the studio claim it's standard for showing, when the AKC and other dog organizations went 'WTF? No Judge gropes a dog's junk you weirdos"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ungulateman posted:

this seems like a classic case of adults thinking of the worst possible interpretation of a way a child could see something

like, a kid's actual response to this is "oh yeah like when i go to the doctor and they have to stick weird things in my ears and nose", not "being sexually molested is great"

yeah, uh, about that

like seriously how did you get through a whole sentence of defending "adults are gonna do funny touches on you and it's not your place to question why" on the grounds that kids aren't going to understand that's molestation and not think twice

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 29, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have made yet another video about cartoons
https://youtu.be/qhXHFwZ4BT0

VVVVVV
Aww, thanks!

Unmature fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 29, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

Cool, I'll have to watch it after work. I really liked your previous videos, and have been hoping there would be more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1001542476337958912

I mean....yeah, I'd watch Paul Rudd be friends with Sonic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unmature posted:

I half wish you went a little more in depth, but an excellent primer none-the-less.

What mic do you use?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonic’s gonna say “blue lives matter” isn’t he?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

I half wish you went a little more in depth, but an excellent primer none-the-less.

What mic do you use?

I try and keep it to a reasonable length. Right now I'm using a Rode NT1

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Credit where credit is due, of all the decisions that could have been made for this movie this is one of the very small handful that would raise my interest above zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As a lifelong Sonic fan who is named Tom, I don't think my friends are gonna ever let me live this one down.