Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hate the Fountainhead more than any Superman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

And to think that some of the Snyder fans have actually convinced themselves that BvS and MoS have leftist anti-capitalist messages.

i'd say the movie where superman punches a predator drone leans a bit to the left, yeah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ashpanash posted:

It's pretty fascinating sometimes. I wade in CD occasionally with comments but I'm basically told, unambiguously, that I'm not only wrong, I'm actually thinking something different - deep down, in my heart, I apparently actually agree with them - but I'm not acknowledging it because... (and then they trail off.)

I'm not exactly Mr. Smartypants Genius 2000, and yeah, sometimes I'm wrong. But I know when I'm being preached to. It's cultish and weird.

I commented on how bad the JL Flash costume was (and it's horrible) and I got shouted down pretty quickly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Barry Convex posted:

And to think that some of the Snyder fans have actually convinced themselves that BvS and MoS have leftist anti-capitalist messages.

I have a friend who truly and fully believes that Snyder's take on The Fountainhead would be to present individualism as a terrible ideology and show society at large how much these ideas that have become synonymous with capitalism are morally wrong.

It's the hardest our discord has nodded along and let a topic go.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I commented on how bad the JL Flash costume was (and it's horrible) and I got shouted down pretty quickly.

No you didn't, you said it was bad and about three posters (myself included) responded with simple "I liked it" posts. Hell mine was, "I liked it, but wished the movie was actually good"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, I apologise for starting this 'CD sucks' derail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

No you didn't, you said it was bad and about three posters (myself included) responded with simple "I liked it" posts. Hell mine was, "I liked it, but wished the movie was actually good"

Oh yeah.

Well your opinion is about as bad as CD as a whole because that costume is loving rear end.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I have a friend who truly and fully believes that Snyder's take on The Fountainhead would be to present individualism as a terrible ideology and show society at large how much these ideas that have become synonymous with capitalism are morally wrong.

It's the hardest our discord has nodded along and let a topic go.

I guarantee you that this will be the usual suspects' spin on this news. I'm pretty sure it already is, in fact.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah.

Well your opinion is about as bad as CD as a whole because that costume is loving rear end.

Lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I doubt that, his stated reason for making that film has always been about his experience with the creative process and outside interference, so Roark and the government or whatever (I haven't read it) will probably be analogues for himself and Warner Bros

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I doubt that, his stated reason for making that film has always been about his experience with the creative process and outside interference, so Roark and the government or whatever (I haven't read it) will probably be analogues for himself and Warner Bros

He's making it for Warner Bros. It's Warner Bros' script.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fangz posted:

He's making it for Warner Bros. It's Warner Bros' script.

So?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah.

That costume was terrible and still managed to be the best thing about that entire character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Fountainhead is a weird book because the main character is a bad architect because he only designs what he wants and doesn't care what his clients actually want. While the "bad" architect is popular and rich because he designs buildings that are fashionable and popular, this is somehow a bad thing.

Also the main character rapes the lead female character halfway through the book.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

muscles like this! posted:

The Fountainhead is a weird book because the main character is a bad architect because he only designs what he wants and doesn't care what his clients actually want. While the "bad" architect is popular and rich because he designs buildings that are fashionable and popular, this is somehow a bad thing.

So it's basically Zach Snyder vs. Kevin Feige

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

Also the main character rapes the lead female character halfway through the book.

It's been literally over 20 years (nearly 25?) since I read it but my memory is that the "bad" architect made buildings that were fashionable to "society elites" but bad at their intended use and expensive, while the main character designed a building that was super-functional/affordable but didn't have gargoyles or something. When I had a class on ethics waaaay back when there was a noticeable parallel to discussion of the Challenger explosion - the shuttle engineers knew that the o-rings were flawed but there was a lot of pressure to have the launch without delays, and the engineers didn't go as far as they could/should have to stop the launch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Smiley posted:

That costume was terrible and still managed to be the best thing about that entire character.

A real shame because Miller is a great actor. But jesus his stupid running.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zachack posted:

the main character designed a building that was super-functional/affordable but didn't have gargoyles or something.

Yeah but gargoyles own and more buildings should have gargoyles so the protagonist is in fact the dipshit who is wrong

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DP question: Do they really fridge his girlfriend? :\

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
The writer who came up with the term fridging says no.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would I trust a writer for Green Lantern?!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think they mean Gail Simone :sweatdrop:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fangz posted:

Okay, I apologise for starting this 'CD sucks' derail.

Pretty much the only purpose of this thread is for people to talk about how scared they are of posting in CD.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

They very clearly do. It's very difficult to miss this.

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty much the only purpose of this thread is for people to talk about how scared they are of posting in CD.

For all the whining about the hive-mind of CD, this place is just as cultish and hive-minded, just in the opposite direction. Also, there's a lot of exaggeration going on. Like, Rhyno wasn't chased out of CD, a couple posters just politely disagreed with him and he equates that with being shouted down.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 29, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't say I was chased out, I continued to post after that. But it's still a crappy, hivemind subforum.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I didn't say I was chased out, I continued to post after that.

You're technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, my mistake. Having said that, I don't think you were shouted down either.

Rhyno posted:

But it's still a crappy, hivemind subforum.

Pot, kettle, etc etc.

Difference is this is a hivemind you're more attuned too. And that's fine! Sometimes we just want to shitpost without a dozen people jumping on your neck, but let's call a spade a spade here, and stop pretending this place is a bastion of enlightened unbiased common sense. This is a shelbyville-springfield situation, people should drop the persecution complex, both sides are terrible in their own way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This isn't a CD complaint thread. As has been stated many times. If you're thinking about posting about CD then don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

It's been literally over 20 years (nearly 25?) since I read it but my memory is that the "bad" architect made buildings that were fashionable to "society elites" but bad at their intended use and expensive, while the main character designed a building that was super-functional/affordable but didn't have gargoyles or something. When I had a class on ethics waaaay back when there was a noticeable parallel to discussion of the Challenger explosion - the shuttle engineers knew that the o-rings were flawed but there was a lot of pressure to have the launch without delays, and the engineers didn't go as far as they could/should have to stop the launch.

The bigger thing and why he was a Randian Ubermensch was that he refused to compromise his ideals of making good buildings by even allowing his name to be used in a building where he redesigned the interior of a building Bad Architect since it would still have the contemporary facade. Like there is a whole thing about him redrawing the interior to unfurl strange hallways and give every office a window or whatever. Being a Randian Ubermensch he also knows how to actually work with the materials as is evidenced by him helping a construction worker cut a beam (I believe? It's been 15 years or so since I read it.).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is technically him complaining about BSS so I think it's still clear.

McCloud posted:

For all the whining about the hive-mind of CD, this place is just as cultish and hive-minded, just in the opposite direction.

No that's just how things in life seem when you're wrong.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

A real shame because Miller is a great actor. But jesus his stupid running.

That's one of those moments where you know a group of production people sat around trying to come up with the most efficient way for someone with super speed to run instead of just letting him run like a normal human being.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

DP question: Do they really fridge his girlfriend? :\

Yes and it's bad but still somehow not as bad as in Solo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solo doesn't do that though?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Technically Not for the main character but for 2 of the male side characters but I don't know that I'd call that fridging.

Deadpool 2 definitely fridges Vanessa but makes up for it by fixing the timeline

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Technically Not for the main character but for 2 of the male side characters but I don't know that I'd call that fridging.

Fridging isn't "a woman dies". A heroic sacrifice isn't that.

I forgot the droid though.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Deadpool 2 definitely fridges Vanessa but makes up for it by fixing the timeline

eh, altering the timeline wasn't really necessary to "make up for it" since even after her death Vanessa remained present in the film as a distinct character, and moving her to be a stand-in for the character of Death is far from the worst way of handling things moving forward if you're trying to keep the film character broadly consistent with the comics regarding things like all of his relationships being doomed and his continued existence a torment

that said, as someone who liked the alternate takes on the characters in the first movie and was really hoping Vanessa would stay alive/be used well in any sequels I'm quite happy it was one of the things they fixed in the post-credits

e: I'm also pretty sure it's not "fridging" in the original sense as Vanessa is not treated as disposable and her death isn't used as a primary source of motivation for the hero to engage in a conflict with an antagonist, or even to directly motivate the hero to engage in a certain course of action/lifestyle- her murderer is disposed of in the same scene/doesn't tie directly into the broader plot, and while her death and the depressive spiral Wade enters definitely heavily informs and affects his later actions, it's also not the primary motivation behind his decision to go all-out in saving Russell

"fridging" definitely prompted a productive broader discussion about how female characters are treated in comics (and related media) and what DP2 does with Vanessa as a character absolutely fits into that discussion, but I don't know that "fridging" remains a useful term if it's broadened to encompass any time a woman dies in a story

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 29, 2018

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So Blumhouse has announced the new Spawn movie starring Jamie Fox.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This truly is hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo he actually got Jamie Foxx to do it?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
"the directorial debut of Spawn creator Todd McFarlane"

This is gonna be good ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lomzus posted:

"the directorial debut of Spawn creator Todd McFarlane"

This is gonna be good ha ha