Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Today’s my birthday, so enjoy this article about the box Alien scene, an alleged scene from ‘Alien’ that shows up in the Heavy Metal ‘Aliens: The Illustrated Story’ adaptation, and which the artist swears he saw in an early cut of the movie, but no one has been able to find conclusive evidence of its existence. It’s not in any script drafts or the novelization, Giger’s diary doesn’t mention it, it’s not present among any known deleted scenes, and none of the cast or crew remember anything like it. So... there’s that.

And when you’re done with that, here’s a new toy coming out of an Alien that folds up into a box. :v:

I admit the bias in this case is entirely unfair and somewhat not in keeping with the facts, but if Walt Simonson says one thing, and Ridley Scott says another, I'm trusting Simonson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nah I'd say they're both he and the crew are right. If you remember the crab walk bit they filmed, on the making off stuff Scott/etc. said they tried a few weird ways for the alien to be in a creepy resting state/entering the scene bizarrely. So I have no doubt that some simple footage of the alien curled up like a box and unfolding to stand up from it was created. It actually getting screened though makes it sound like they saw maybe less a screening of the "movie" and more just almost everything that was filmed at that point - given the intensity of the movie at that time I'd think if it was like, footage shot on par with the rest of the movie it wouldn't have evoked laughs as much as the crab walk scene did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also happy birthday Xeno!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Also happy birthday Xeno!

:toot:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think we should wait until the next Predator trailer before writing it off. The editing on the teaser was atrocious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Read The Predator script. I thought it owns, but it’s almost my dream Predator Movie. It’s big. It’s silly. It’s weird.

If you long for what came before you will hate it so so so so much.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

When I was looking for the script for this a while ago, I happened upon the bodybuilding.com forums where they were complaining about the summary and wondering why it wasn't super machismo about big strong tough men like the first movie. Like, uh, the movie where all the musclemens got emasculated by a vagina?

I never read the script; just found a few summaries, which the trailer is matching up with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People don't STOP watching Predator after the first action scene, but like with Full Metal Jacket I think there's kind of a mental checkout for people after the first act. Everything after to said folks is just blind vindication that super machismo big strong men are the way to the future because Arnold won.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neo Rasa posted:

People don't STOP watching Predator after the first action scene, but like with Full Metal Jacket I think there's kind of a mental checkout for people after the first act. Everything after to said folks is just blind vindication that super machismo big strong men are the way to the future because Arnold won.

-----Predator mocks a lot of 80s action movie tropes and their reliance on male machismo------->

Average Audience Member's head.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsU6yaA0r0w

Speaking of Xenomorph boxes it always makes me chuckle in that Predator: Concrete Jungle game upon stunning a xenomorph it's stupid ragdoll will just drop to the floor from the wall and immediately go into nap time xenomorph pose.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
HBO Go has pretty much every movie in the Alien franchise on it right now so I finally crossed Alien and Aliens of off my "why the hell haven't I seen this movie already?!" list. They were both great though my wife got kind of bored with Alien. Are any of the others worth watching before they're taken off of HBO or should I quit while I'm ahead?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 assembly cut is loving awesome

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

HBO Go has pretty much every movie in the Alien franchise on it right now so I finally crossed Alien and Aliens of off my "why the hell haven't I seen this movie already?!" list. They were both great though my wife got kind of bored with Alien. Are any of the others worth watching before they're taken off of HBO or should I quit while I'm ahead?

Unfortunately only the inferior version of 3 is on HBOgo. It's still a fine movie and if you enjoy it track down the extended cut sometime.

Alien Resurrection is completely different in tone from the others and is barely worth watching.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Alien Resurrection is just the French one. The studio handed it to Jeunet, which was an insane decision, and got a Jeunet film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Alien Resurrection is just the French one. The studio handed it to Jeunet, which was an insane decision, and got a Jeunet film.

Just to clarify, this post mistakenly makes Resurrection sound like an amazing movie but it is unfortunately crap.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Just to clarify, this post mistakenly makes Resurrection sound like an amazing movie but it is unfortunately crap.

Yeah, the only remotely interesting thing about Resurrection is that you can see Whedon working out the genesis of Firefly in the script.

Oh, and I guess Weaver finally got her wish to gently caress the alien.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are highly entertaining and worth your time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just watch them all resurrection has Ron Pearlman being a badass. You’ve probably wasted time on much worse and boring films.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doing it backwards like this is even dumber than still using this joke

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Invalid Validation posted:

Just watch them all resurrection has Ron Pearlman being a badass. You’ve probably wasted time on much worse and boring films.

This. I rewatched it for Alien Day a month ago and liked it a lot more than I remembered. To be intentionally vague as to not spoil things for C-Euro, it’s worth watching for the interplay between the characters, the practical effects (especially at the very end and in one specific scene in a lab halfway through the movie), Ron Perlman owns, and Sigourney Weaver takes the Ripley character in interesting directions.

It’s got issues - the script doesn’t gel well with Jeunet’s French-surrealist directing style at times, so sometimes the “humor” falls flat or moments that are meant to be serious come across as goofy, but it’s got a lot more going for it than against it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Dan Hedaya.... IN SPACE!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, the only remotely interesting thing about Resurrection is that you can see Whedon working out the genesis of Firefly in the script.

I dunno why this is always brought up or considered fascinating. The only vague connection there is "people in a spaceship" None of the characters are even remotely similar except generic big guy with gun which is a part of every sci-fi thing since forever. JW only refers to it as his Han solo show anyway

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Alien Resurrection is fun in that it feels like an adaption of a some obscure back-up story in an old Heavy Metal issue.

It's also a fascinatingly grotesque movie in general.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I like nutty French sci fi and all but let’s not delude ourselves into thinking Resurrection is anything but a piece of corporate product.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BeigeJacket posted:

I like nutty French sci fi and all but let’s not delude ourselves into thinking Resurrection is anything but a piece of corporate product.

Okay, I’ll bite.

How so?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a french new-wave alien.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Okay, I’ll bite.

How so?

They bought the main character from the dead using a totally contrived, hackneyed plot device. They settled on a generic ‘wander round the spaceship, get killed’ plot that the series can never seem to shake off.

The story is standard sci-fi action mush, of the sort that we everywhere in video games, comics and trashy Alien rip-offs over the last 30 odd years. Totally badass mercenaries, with scars! And quips!

Still the studio got what they paid for - Weaver on the poster for an Aliens film. It’s a standard late 90s blockbuster flick with a few neat Gallic touches.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Okay, I’ll bite.

How so?

It’s made my Fox to keep a dead franchise going for no other reason except money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing with the Alien franchise is that they had to continually get Weaver to agree to come back, and she wasn't always so easy to convince.

So you end up with things in Resurrection that are very much not just safe corporate focused-grouped ideas. The hiring of Jeunet first and foremost, there were a thousand safer options but they were trying to come up with something new and interesting to catch Weaver's interest. She wasn't going to come back for Aliens 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

They bought the main character from the dead using a totally contrived, hackneyed plot device. They settled on a generic ‘wander round the spaceship, get killed’ plot that the series can never seem to shake off.

The story is standard sci-fi action mush, of the sort that we everywhere in video games, comics and trashy Alien rip-offs over the last 30 odd years. Totally badass mercenaries, with scars! And quips!

Still the studio got what they paid for - Weaver on the poster for an Aliens film. It’s a standard late 90s blockbuster flick with a few neat Gallic touches.

Something to put this in perspective more, Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 were insanely influential movies. Alien 3 less so but visually I'd still say it's one of the movies that where you can say 90s movies began. Resurrection is a cynical retread of Alien's imitators with one of the worst scripts ever. Like the script could have been from a z-grade Albert Pyun "folks wander around and get killed" movies like Adrenalin: Feel the Rush or whatever.

People act like Jeunet was a bad choice for the movie but for real, you want to do a cynical cash-in on Alien? Look at the French comic book aesthetic Alien especially but Alien 3 also are extremely brazenly are born out of. That's not a criticism of them, just, like, Resurrection often looks like an issue of Heavy Metal because of Jeunet and that's hardly a fault in the movie. Delicatessen? City of Lost Children? Jeunet was a perfect choice to direct an Alien movie.

When you look at the making of stuff, Jeunet's proud of the end result and had fun but it's pretty obvious that at the end of the day he compromised a ton and was more than happy to work with and do whatever the studio wanted. An earlier poster said what they got was a Jeunet movie, I wish they did.

One bit of trivia I do remember is that Jeunet originally wanted to have almost no gore in the movie and go more suspenseful/what you don't see is worse than what you do and such but they were super adamant about going the other way. I appreciated that he took that in the absurd direction of stuff like Dan Hedaya pulling out a piece of his own brain and such or Brad Dourif getting his head chomped after his beautiful butterfly ranting but also for scenes like when we encounter all of the previous cloning attempts.

Joss Whedon is dogshit.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Something to put this in perspective more, Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 were insanely influential movies. Alien 3 less so but visually I'd still say it's one of the movies that where you can say 90s movies began. Resurrection is a cynical retread of Alien's imitators with one of the worst scripts ever. Like the script could have been from a z-grade Albert Pyun "folks wander around and get killed" movies like Adrenalin: Feel the Rush or whatever.

People act like Jeunet was a bad choice for the movie but for real, you want to do a cynical cash-in on Alien? Look at the French comic book aesthetic Alien especially but Alien 3 also are extremely brazenly are born out of. That's not a criticism of them, just, like, Resurrection often looks like an issue of Heavy Metal because of Jeunet and that's hardly a fault in the movie. Delicatessen? City of Lost Children? Jeunet was a perfect choice to direct an Alien movie.

When you look at the making of stuff, Jeunet's proud of the end result and had fun but it's pretty obvious that at the end of the day he compromised a ton and was more than happy to work with and do whatever the studio wanted. An earlier poster said what they got was a Jeunet movie, I wish they did.

One bit of trivia I do remember is that Jeunet originally wanted to have almost no gore in the movie and go more suspenseful/what you don't see is worse than what you do and such but they were super adamant about going the other way. I appreciated that he took that in the absurd direction of stuff like Dan Hedaya pulling out a piece of his own brain and such or Brad Dourif getting his head chomped after his beautiful butterfly ranting but also for scenes like when we encounter all of the previous cloning attempts.

Joss Whedon is dogshit.

I like Jeunet just fine - he's done some great films (Delicatessen will always be his best film imo), and whatever interesting bits are in the film clearly come from him.

It's a good point about Weaver, she deserves some of the flack for Resurrection for agreeing to such a mish-mash concept.

Theres a good interview with Walter Hill on one of the fan-sites where he talks about Fox have never really known what it is they want to accomplish with this franchise, and this film is a good example. Not tense enough to be a thriller, not balls out enough to be a proper action shoot-em-up, and lame ideas for what to do with the monster.

Neo Rasa posted:

Joss Whedon is dogshit.

Word.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I like to pretend that they all sure in the underwater sequence because I love that scene and don't really like anything afterwards

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I can’t watch the underwater sequence in Resurrection without immediately being reminded that a lot of the crew got like, severely ill because the water became contaminated. Can’t remember my sister’s phone number off the top of my head, but will always remember that Ron Perlman swam through butt water for an Alien movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I can’t watch the underwater sequence in Resurrection without immediately being reminded that a lot of the crew got like, severely ill because the water became contaminated. Can’t remember my sister’s phone number off the top of my head, but will always remember that Ron Perlman swam through butt water for an Alien movie.

That whole sequence was extremely ambitious and looking back it's crazy that they even attempted something like that for the fourth movie in a killer space-alien franchise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

That whole sequence was extremely ambitious and looking back it's crazy that they even attempted something like that for the fourth movie in a killer space-alien franchise.

Tom Woodruff (the guy in the Alien costumes for Alien3, Resurrection, and both AvP movies) almost drowned while filming that scene, because they didn’t expect the Alien costume head to fill with water as quickly as it did, and it wasn’t exactly buoyant.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Alien Resurrection is a good movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is that the movie where they went "This water looks too clear people with think it's CG, uh let's dump a bunch of milk and poo poo into it to cloud it up!" ?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is that the movie where they went "This water looks too clear people with think it's CG, uh let's dump a bunch of milk and poo poo into it to cloud it up!" ?

Not to my recollection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

Tom Woodruff (the guy in the Alien costumes for Alien3, Resurrection, and both AvP movies) almost drowned while filming that scene, because they didn’t expect the Alien costume head to fill with water as quickly as it did, and it wasn’t exactly buoyant.

There's not a single full bodu shot in that scene where the alien isn't really dated CGI.

Which isn't to say I don't believe you, it's just a shame they didn't use any of that footage.