Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

funeral strippers

In the Etruscan style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoodwinker posted:

spend $50k on a cake instead of $500.
:trumppop: Rounds up.

That said, wedding chat sucks. It needs more guillotine, but also more lulz. Here is someone that needs to meet our good friend, The $100,001 Guillotine:

About to start debt snowball....then bad news
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n05p2/about_to_start_debt_snowballthen_bad_news/

quote:

So to preface this whole thing i have a combined household income of about 145k. The wife and I are at that point to where our debt is concerning. Honestly it was concerning a long time ago. We about 65k in debt between CC’s and a personal loan. We have two auto loans and a mortgage. When it boils down we are looking at about $600 left over a month with paying minimums.

We were looking to tighten our belt and start our snowball. I have already started cutting non essentials out of our budget to maximize the amount of money we can throw at this thing. Before that i know we need to stack up for an emergency fund. Well that emergency fund was needed because now one of our ac units at home has blown and we live in a state where there is high heat and humidity so it is needed. I am not sure what we are going to do to get this replaced anytime soon as ac units are thousands of dollars. We are both on board with getting our finances in better shape but this was like the last kick in the pants before we set off on this journey. I am super discouraged right now and i feel defeated before we started. Dont know what direction to go.

Guess i wanted to vent to like minded folks that have turned their situation around.
I think they're saying they have $0 savings and just had the AC fail, so now they need savings because they can't get more credit? People press them on their budget and so they come up with this. I really wanted to re-order it, but I think the chaos makes more sense:

quote:

$8,354.86

-400 tithes
-1400 Gas and Personal needs

-400 CC #1
-350 Cell/Cable/Internet
-200 CC #2
-380 CC #3
-200 CC# 4
-100 water
-1320 cars
-160 Lights
-40 Gas Bill
-396.78 Home and Car Ins
-300 grocery
-2083.65 Mortgage
-303 Personal loan
-50 CC#5
He goes on to confirm they have >$80k in cars, and something about the personal loan is paid back out of his half of the $1,400 a month? I am lost. Also, lol

quote:

The cars are needed as we work pretty far away from home.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Make $8400 and only give $400 to church? There's your problem right there!!!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

BUG JUG posted:

Make $8400 and only give $400 to church? There's your problem right there!!!
Yeah I don't get that. Doesn't tithe mean tenth (before taxes, usually)? It should be over a grand a month.

I also don't get it because lol tithing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

John Smith posted:

Why would you want a bunch of dead flowers?

Because they are free. They also make good decoy flowers for the crazy neighborhood lady to steal in lieu of stealing your live flowers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Yeah I don't get that. Doesn't tithe mean tenth (before taxes, usually)? It should be over a grand a month.

I also don't get it because lol tithing.

A tenth is pretty common. If they've already cut back on the tithe I would expect they'd be focused on getting their financial poo poo together otherwise the church will get pissed off at them blowing the money. They're supposed to be purchasing spirituality with that money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Heaven ain't free, of course. Like that would make any sense. How are you supposed to keep the riffraff out?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

They're supposed to be purchasing spirituality with that money.
This sounds extremely BWM right here.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nocheez posted:

This sounds extremely BWM right here.
Unless you're a senator in the bible belt, then your virtue signaling is extremely GWM.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Lots of holes here, as expected.

$100 a month in water? That has to be a quarterly bill. $350 a month on cell/cable/internet can certainly be lowered by dropping down a package or just calling the carrier and threatening to cancel.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

$100 a month in water? That has to be a quarterly bill. $350 a month on cell/cable/internet can certainly be lowered by dropping down a package or just calling the carrier and threatening to cancel.
I would fully expect them to say that their $350 a month is some weird grandfathered unlimited data plan and they don't have internet on the road for their job so they have to use their phone as a hotspot to download 30gb of contractor pdfs a month. Or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My dad: We haven't saved a thing for retirement, we still owe as much as our house is worth, and no one is ever likely to want to buy our small business, I'm terrified your mom and I will have to work until we die at our desks.

Also my dad: I'm into fine watches now, I just bought one for $15,000 and I plan to get 8 more.

wtf is wrong with the baby boom generation

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

$100 a month in water? That has to be a quarterly bill.

My water + sewer costs ~$75 a month and we use 3 CCF/month. Water is expensive some places.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

$1320 on car payments. while you have $65k in high interest debt. that is some vintage BWM

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

AndrewP posted:

$1320 on car payments. while you have $65k in high interest debt. that is some vintage BWM

You can't expect a guy to have a stock truck. It's Texas! The man's gotta have it lifted and accessorized!

Reddit, what was an awesome vacation you got from listening to a sales pitch? (self.AskReddit) submitted 10 months ago by Jurkboy1

Has any Redditor ever had a great vacation come from one of those time-share presentations? (self.AskReddit) submitted 10 months ago by Jurkboy1

Has any Redditor ever had a great vacation come from one of those time-share presentations? Without having to buying the timeshare of course. (self.AskReddit) submitted 10 months ago by Jurkboy1

Lifted question (self.Trucks) 9 months ago

quote:

So after this mess we have been dealing with around Houston, i think it has upped the ante on me getting a new truck. I have little to no knowledge on lifted trucks outside of if they are done right they look good and i have been wanting one for a while now. I had an aunt trapped by Harvey and if i had something a little higher i probably could have gotten to her before it got really bad and her having to be boated out.

Anyway, my question is, being that i am going to buy a used 4x4, more than likely a 1500 silverado, Is it cheaper to buy the truck and then have a suspension lift put on after or do you think it would be better to buy something with the lift already on it? Looking for a 6 inch lift. I hope my question isnt too vague. Thanks in advance

If you have lifted a Denali self.Trucks 6 months ago

quote:

" I have narrowed it down to a denali and a sierra stl crew"

Any recommendations for a good black nerf bar? (self.Trucks)

Having a time finding a retailer with running boards in stock (self.Trucks)

"Locals, i was just in Vegas this past weekend and had a debate with my wife, is there reason for the glass on the crosswalks or is it just aesthetics?"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Jesus, what a loving idiot.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Zaurg get in here, this guy makes you look clever and responsible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Sorbo just makes terrible Christian apologetic films (e.g. God's Not Dead)

Not having a breakdown after going from being a real actor to doing that poo poo must take a Herculean effort.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sock The Great posted:

$100 a month in water? That has to be a quarterly bill.
Lots of holes for sure.

Water bill seems reasonable, some places are expensive. I pay that much for 2.3 people and a small yard. Last house in a different district had 3 people, no low flow stuff, no lawn irrigation (which accounts for about $20/mo across the year), and it was ~$60 every 2 months.

MisterOblivious posted:

You can't expect a guy to have a stock truck. It's Texas! The man's gotta have it lifted and accessorized!
LULZ! I should have looked at the post history. That is fantastical, even better than the pair of cars I was expecting. I love truck debt.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This brutally honest comment deserves to live here:
Can a family of 4 live off of a $100k/year salary comfortably?

OP posted:

Currently 20 years old. Thankfully, I already have a job lined up right out of college that allows me to get six figures by my 6th year there. My girlfriend wants to be a stay-at home mother in the future, at least for the first 5 years when we eventually have kids. Is 100k (~75k after tax) enough to live comfortably? We live in suburban Ohio, so the costs of living are NOT going to be like crazy metropolitan California. We both are very frugal with our spending and don't plan on buying an extraordinarily large home.

reply posted:

"Allows" you to get to 6 figures is different than actually getting there. Is she going to want a brand new Yukon every 4 years and 3.5 bathrooms like her girlfriend who's husband comes from money? Is she going to expect an annual girl's trip to Vegas? Are you going to want a brand new 5 series the same color as her Yukon?

100k is plenty or nowhere close to enough depending on how you want to live and you aren't even half way through college. You don't even know if she will be with you in 2 years. It seems like forever now when it's all loving and microwave pizza in your lovely apartment while you plan your world domination, but things change. Slow down and enjoy college. Slow down and enjoy being married. Save responsibly. Let life happen.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'd say Kevin Sorbo's career has been pretty consistent.

Hoodwinker posted:

In the business center I work at, I see so many people have Land/Range Rovers, C-series, and 5 series. I have a pretty good ball park idea of how much a lot of them make, and it's definitely not enough to be having 1-2 year versions of them at all times

Harry fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 29, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Harry posted:

I'd say Kevin Sorbo's career has been pretty consistent.

Kevin Sorbo's ego and crazy factor is supposedly what ruined Andromeda after season 2 and for that he can go to hell.

quote:

In 1999, working from notes by Gene Roddenberry, Wolfe developed the syndicated series Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.[2] The series premiered in the fall of 2000[2] as the number one original hour in syndication, a position it held for most of its five-year run.[3]

Wolfe served as head writer and co-executive producer on Andromeda for its first two seasons.[2] During this time, the series was nominated for two Saturn Awards for Best Syndicated Series and for a Leo Award for Best Dramatic Series.

During the production of the second season, Wolfe claims that he and the studio quarreled over the non-episodic nature of the show and the studio's requests for "more aliens, more space battles, and less internal conflict,"[4][5] eventually resulting in his departure. Actor Kevin Sorbo confirmed the statements, saying that Wolfe, "is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated."[4]

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoodwinker posted:

Awesome. So awesome. Also, no, it's not. You need at least $100,001.

(I really don't think it is enough, but I have friends who are comfortable on less than that... They also probably won't be as comfortable as they should be come retirement. Long term planning is hard...)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

Awesome. So awesome. Also, no, it's not. You need at least $100,001.

(I really don't think it is enough, but I have friends who are comfortable on less than that... They also probably won't be as comfortable as they should be come retirement. Long term planning is hard...)

It all depends on how you live etc. I have a family of 4 in loving Connecticut and we get by just fine on 95k a year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I think you could buy two houses a year in suburban ohio at that salary and still balance the books if you don't buy horseboats

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Four kids probably means four weddings, so they need to budget at least $1 million for that.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moneyball posted:

I got left by one in December, on Christmas. I bought her a christmas gift and got that, so I guess that could be considered BWM
Oh well.

She should have broken up with you before Christmas and saved you both some shopping hassle.

funeral strippers
Yea, this is a real thing. Those low-class mainlander Chinese puts on a strip club at their funerals to attract a large crowd of onlookers, so as to imply that the deceased is high-ranking / honoured to have so many mourners. Instead, it is obvious that they must be low-ranking pathetic fellows to need to resort to such tactics.

You Chinese also, or just happened to read this in the news?

Panfilo posted:

Because they are free. They also make good decoy flowers for the crazy neighborhood lady to steal in lieu of stealing your live flowers.
Well, you know how I feel about property rights and the 2nd amendment. :flame:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Old expense reports not submitted. Am I responsible for paying?

quote:

The title speaks for itself.

I have an AMEX corporate card(the green one) and have racked up a couple grand in old charges I never put through, mostly due to apathy of literally never being home not caring, but never charged a late fee since I always submitted at least the minimum. I currently have charges in our expense software of stuff not submitted from over a year ago that I have to submit via statements only as I dont have those receipts anymore.

My question is can I be legally held responsible to pay those charges out of my own pocket or does that depend on whatever I agreed to when accepting the card? I don't want this to affect my credit so if I have to I will pay it but I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed despite my own negligence. I've submitted reports for all of these past charges complete with statements. I know what I did was lazy and unprofessional but I just want to make sure if I am/am not personally held responsible for this.

Hi reddit, I’m lazy and don’t want to do the simplest, most basic of my job requirements, why do I have to pay for this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

John Smith posted:

You Chinese also, or just happened to read this in the news?

my korean genealogy book only goes back 45 generations, might be a bit chinese

saw it in taiwan

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Old expense reports not submitted. Am I responsible for paying?

Hi reddit, I’m lazy and don’t want to do the simplest, most basic of my job requirements, why do I have to pay for this?

What a post history on that guy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Droo posted:

Kevin Sorbo's ego and crazy factor is supposedly what ruined Andromeda after season 2 and for that he can go to hell.

It was a Hercules joke, you two are overthinking it.

E: Is Greedy Island really a nickname for Taiwan, since they are the capitalist China?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

About to start debt snowball....then bad news
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n05p2/about_to_start_debt_snowballthen_bad_news/
I think they're saying they have $0 savings and just had the AC fail, so now they need savings because they can't get more credit? People press them on their budget and so they come up with this. I really wanted to re-order it, but I think the chaos makes more sense:
He goes on to confirm they have >$80k in cars, and something about the personal loan is paid back out of his half of the $1,400 a month? I am lost. Also, lol

For some reason the thing that gets me on this one is them calling the power bill "lights". Like they were transported from the 1890's.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

SiGmA_X posted:

one of our ac units at home has blown

quote:

ac units are thousands of dollars

Given that window units are not thousands of dollars, I'm assuming this is central air. What kind of ridiculous oversized house do they live in that requires multiple units?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

opengl128 posted:

For some reason the thing that gets me on this one is them calling the power bill "lights". Like they were transported from the 1890's.
Is it a southern thing? I had never heard it till I listened to Dave Ramsey's podcast a few years back. It bugs me, too.

Sock The Great posted:

It all depends on how you live etc. I have a family of 4 in loving Connecticut and we get by just fine on 95k a year.
I know, I know. But is it ever truly enough? usa.txt: Got mine, gently caress you, taking yours!!

John Smith posted:

Well, you know how I feel about property rights and the 2nd amendment. :flame:
Do you take a Constitutional View on it? :sadcoke:something about Whole People and no women <100% sarcasm, sorry forum.>

I'm recovering from debt but my car needs $5.2k of repairs and I'm not sure if I should fix it or get a new one
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n27tm/im_recovering_from_debt_but_my_car_needs_52k_of/

quote:

Hi all,

I'm in a weird situation. I'm 27, I work two jobs, and go to college part-time. I work two jobs to pay off debt and I take care of my mom, sister, and grandmother financially.

My expenses are:

Living expenses (rent, insurance, etc): $1,888
Parking: $75.75
Gas: $243.78
Groceries: $461.05
Going out money: $235.25

College payments: $135 (will increase to around $400 per month)
$500 in paying off credit cards and medical bills
My take home pay every two weeks is $1300. However, I work for Grubhub and take home an additional $300-$400 per week. So my monthly income is around $3,800 per month.

My car needs the following done:

Catalytic Converter: $1,152
Front shocks: $880
Rear shocks: $502
CV Axles (both): $1,971
Valve cover gasket: $371
Oil cooler gasket: $400
Total: $5,276

My car is a Nissan Altima with 177,000 miles. I drive a lot of miles because I work Grubhub during the nights and weekends. My car is in poor condition and KBB said the trade-in value is only $1400 for a car in fair condition. The private party value is $2.500-$4,256. That's if my car was in fair condition which it's not.

Here's my big problem. I need to fix the catalytic converter by the end of June or else it won't pass emissions. I don't have any money for a downpayment and my credit score is only 530. Like I said, I made a lot of mistakes when I was younger and I've been working nonstop to correct them.

My question is, should I buy another car? Or fix my car with 177k miles? If I were to buy a new car I would buy a used Prius or a Civic. I could then drive for Uber or Lyft. I can work the same hours I do as Grubhub and make even more money per month.

Edit: I should explain that I split the living expenses with my brother. The numbers I posted above is my half.

Edit 2: Normally I would chose to repair the car but the car is in poor condition. It has a damaged bumper, and I suspect more problems because it's starting to show other trouble signs with it's engine. I may need even more repairs in the near future.

Edit 3: I asked the same question on /r/mechanicadvice and everyone said the car isn't worth it. They say Nissan's aren't very reliable. Some said that since I drive so many miles, it wouldn't last another year even if I did all of those repairs. This makes it even more difficult to come to a decision.
I just...what?! $1,971 for 2 CV axles for an Altima (Or ANY car, basically) is just insane...! Firestone and the dealership must have seen them coming a mile away...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Given that window units are not thousands of dollars, I'm assuming this is central air. What kind of ridiculous oversized house do they live in that requires multiple units?
Well, any more-than-one-level house should have two or at least zoned (my house doesn't, my folks last 2 story didn't, it sucks/sucked, and I'm the PNW), and they're in Texas so you basically have to have a zone per floor if you want it to work at all. I both do not want to get new HVAC, but I also really want a 2 zone. The 5~8* delta basically all year sucks.

What does BFC say about home ownership...something something...accrue maintenance expenses...on top of an emergency fund and no debt....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Anything two stories over 2000 sq ft in the South needs a second unit.

Ours died a while back and an upgraded replacement with a super warranty cost about $3k and I considered myself lucky to pay that. But we knew the unit was going and were able to plan out it's replacement before peak summer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JFC, assuming the mother isn't disabled, the sister isn't disabled and / or underaged, and the grandmother isn't disabled / 80 years old, that person needs to tell them all to gently caress off. A 27 year old going to college shouldn't have to support three family members. Or any family members that aren't children / spouses.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my korean genealogy book only goes back 45 generations, might be a bit chinese

saw it in taiwan
Oh, you had dropped by Taiwan while making a trip back to the motherland?

It is nice for you that you come from Korea. It is a nice place, and convenient for you to tour since you "know" the place. Whereas China is so disgusting and polluted and horrible and pathetic as a tourism spot. I was dragged there by my parents when young, to visit our distant relatives. Taiwan is nice though, Hong Kong is so so.

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you take a Constitutional View on it? :sadcoke:something about Whole People and no women <100% sarcasm, sorry forum.>
Only in the sense that the Constitution protects these rights.

If you are referring to the Sovereign Citizens movement, then I think that they are idiots. Ultimately, you obey the policeman because he has a gun and you don't. You can sprout all the bullshit you like, but if he wants to arrest you for a driving offence, then he is arresting you for a driving offence.

[And of course, the courts have already ruled that it is all bullshit. So, from a judicial point of view, it is nonsense as well]

John Smith fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 30, 2018

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I hope that this is tangential enough to not eat a probation.

I sat down with my parents recently, who talked me through my sister's three-day weddingstravaganza. My folks are solidly middle class and have been saving for years. They had a beautiful house that they recently sold, upgrading to a McMansion that they now both feel is too big for them.

The cost of the wedding?

Two hundred and sixty thousand dollars.

Lol at middle class and having 250k weddings.

Bro they’re a lot more than middle class.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

Anything two stories over 2000 sq ft in the South needs a second unit.

Ours died a while back and an upgraded replacement with a super warranty cost about $3k and I considered myself lucky to pay that. But we knew the unit was going and were able to plan out it's replacement before peak summer.

Is the humidity the cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

n8r posted:

Lol at middle class and having 250k weddings.

Bro they’re a lot more than middle class.
You don't understand Chinese / Indian weddings. It is common for families to devote their entire lives around this one single event. Think of it as buying a house, but instead of an actual house, you get a wedding.

This single event constitutes a sizable proportion of your lifetime consumption. It is a chance to show your Clan that you have made it, that you are a respectable family, that you are better than the loving Chans. It is your everything, specially for the older folks. I am pretty sure some older folks would be willing to sell their actual loving kidneys if necessary.