Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Rand Ecliptic posted:

So I’m planning on spending the summer improving my typing and dipping my toes into code for the first time. I really am super excited for this. I just wish I didn’t wait until my mid-to-late 30s to realize this is probably what I want to do with my life. Ah well.

Don't worry, I was 36 when I figured out I wanted to do development rather than whatever I was faking to do at the time. Self-taught and a few bump and bluffs later I am working as a java backend developer for a fancy hourly rate. Took me 4 year but had income all the time. You can do this. Feeling like a know-nothing failure when you arrive at a job will never go away, you will only grow used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Taffer posted:

While this can definitely be a bad thing, it's always bad by default. For example, I work in Android development (sometimes) and there are lots of things that are seriously arcane and counter-intuitive in its framework. I'll find SO posts that post solutions, and read them and understand them to the best of my ability, and in many cases then literally just copy out the relevant block of code. Because if you understand it (to a necessary degree at least), and it definitely works, why rewrite it by hand? When I do that, I'll also put in comments a link to the post as well as a short explanation about why this arcane block of code was necessary.

For anything that exhibits creativity in the solution, as defined by law, I explicitly don’t want it if I don’t have a valid license for it.

For small snippets that I’d be comfortable arguing are not creative or otherwise have no reasonable alternative, I’ll grab the thing. Personally, this is limited to effectively information that should be in docs: calling parameters and priors to check before calling (or exceptions to check).

I could probably make an argument for ‘standard’ algorithms, but in live code you typically don’t need an implementation of quick sort.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Keetron posted:

Feeling like a know-nothing failure when you arrive at a job will never go away, you will only grow used to it.

This right here is the best advice in the thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Clanpot Shake posted:

That Onion article about universities renaming computer science to "googling stack overflow" is not really a joke. Looking down on stack overflow is incredibly :psyduck:. Get out and don't look back.

I worked at a place where the in-house lawyer told us not to use Stack Overflow because if we included any of their code "they" could get us for copyright infringement.

I had a coffee with the lawyer, who was (of course) misinterpreted through three layers of management, and the "ban" was lifted. The week before I left, I found out they were including GPL'd code anyway...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I worked at a place where the in-house lawyer told us not to use Stack Overflow because if we included any of their code "they" could get us for copyright infringement.

I had a coffee with the lawyer, who was (of course) misinterpreted through three layers of management, and the "ban" was lifted. The week before I left, I found out they were including GPL'd code anyway...

Sometimes you just gotta do things yourself to defeat idiocy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Dude, I’ve heard of a F500 CEO that wasn’t used to technical people and during a major data migration that was important for a company merger and he was visiting engineers he heard an engineer go “the server died” and was so horrified at the language used he ordered him fired immediately. Most big company execs truly live in a different world divorced from anything unpleasant besides each other.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Almost, just almost, like they’re a totally different social stratification of people...almost like a class...:thunk:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Almost, just almost, like they’re a totally different social stratification of people...almost like a class...:thunk:

The future is IoT Guillotines that send metrics and facial recognition and personal data of their bourgeoisie victims to the cloud so that a neural network can identify contacts, family members, and future capitalists for further guillotining.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The future is IoT Guillotines that send metrics and facial recognition and personal data of their bourgeoisie victims to the cloud so that a neural network can identify contacts, family members, and future capitalists for further guillotining.

Hot drat, I’m in. Link to your Kickstarter?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At work we had a reminder session of how Scrum works. Now, I have to say Scrum is implemented pretty well at our place. The whole company up to the CEO is all for it and we got checks in place to prevent it from becoming the fake half-rear end Scrum so many people in this thread talk about when they say 'how much they hate Scrum'.

Anyway, the guy giving the talk kept saying how the Product Owner should be held responsible (to stakeholders) for what a scrum team delivers, because the PO decides the order of the backlog and the PO needs to explain to the team what actually needs to be done. The guy called this the "single wrencheable neck" principle. Every time he brought this up he grabbed his small drinking bottle, made a neck twisting gesture, accompanied with a "krrrr POP" sound.

As the talk went on the POs present got paler and paler faces.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

We don't have POs, instead our non-technical PM decides priorities based on how loudly clients/execs are yelling :doh:

e: we only have two backlogs: one is for all the products, the other is for support tickets so items get constantly added and assigned during the sprint

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2018

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pedestrian Xing posted:

We don't have POs, instead our non-technical PM decides priorities based on how loudly clients/execs are yelling :doh:

e: we only have two backlogs: one is for all the products, the other is for support tickets so items get constantly added and assigned during the sprint

Same but also devs (loosely) maintain our own backlog of technical debt pay-off work, stuff that we know we need to do to keep us alive as we grow, or just to make all the product and bug work go faster. We inject these items into the sprint during planning as we see fit. We did not ask for permission to do this, we told product we were going to take about 20% of each sprint to do stuff that needed to have been done years ago, stuff that causes, for example, us to take two days to change one line of code because everything is such a ball of spaghetti. We remain flexible, we take important "deadlines" into account, we don't stonewall, we negotiate when necessary. But we insist on making at least some investment into the code and infrastructure.

It's still frustrating when we're halfway into a big feature and product comes charging down the hallway, telling us to drop everything and build a brand new thing, or fix a long-standing annoyance-level bug, that one random tiny customer just happens to be shrieking about today.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Anyway, the guy giving the talk kept saying how the Product Owner should be held responsible (to stakeholders) for what a scrum team delivers, because the PO decides the order of the backlog and the PO needs to explain to the team what actually needs to be done. The guy called this the "single wrencheable neck" principle. Every time he brought this up he grabbed his small drinking bottle, made a neck twisting gesture, accompanied with a "krrrr POP" sound.

:swoon:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Yeah, I'm going to start bringing this up at work.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Apologies in advance if questions like this are too commonplace around these parts.

I'm looking to completely change my career focus, and so I'm enrolling in Northwestern University's coding/web development boot camp (https://bootcamp.northwestern.edu/coding/). I have absolutely no experience with either, but this program assumes students don't, so hopefully that's ok. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Will it probably be worth the cost ($10k) in the end? What can I expect from this boot camp?

I guess I'm just nervous that after 6 months when I'm ready to get a job (they supposedly have excellent career placement) I'll get one and despite everything learned from the boot camp I'll sit down at my new desk and have no loving clue what I'm doing. I suppose a good part of this is, that while there are probably a lot of similar boot camps, one offered through NW U will probably carry more cache than most, right? Right??

Since this starts in August, my plan is to spend the summer working through this 12 hour Python coding course so I don't walk in completely cold on day one (https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/how-to-program-computer-science-concepts-and-python-exercises.html). Probably a good idea, right? I don't know much about the strengths/weaknesses/differences between the various coding languages, but from what I have read I think Python has struck my fancy the most.

And perhaps a silly question, but I'm not a particularly good typist (I use 4 fingers max and my hands are all over the keyboard). Is it seriously worth it sitting down with a typing "course" every day to improve this? I'm guessing that it is, but I wanted to hear some opinions on the matter.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Doing it through a real school is probably good, the big worry with bootcamps is that you'll sign up and it's just a bunch of assholes that have no idea what they're doing, and a real school at least has some experience.

I wouldn't do Python though, if you're just doing it to practice up. They are doing everything in Javascript as far as I can tell and that's a practical industry language. If you want another language I would recommend something like Java (completely unrelated to Javascript) since it gives you a little more access to low level constructs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rand Ecliptic posted:

And perhaps a silly question, but I'm not a particularly good typist (I use 4 fingers max and my hands are all over the keyboard). Is it seriously worth it sitting down with a typing "course" every day to improve this? I'm guessing that it is, but I wanted to hear some opinions on the matter.
I've been writing code professionally for 20 years. I still only type with my index and middle fingers, not counting a pinky on the Shift key.

If you're used to typing prose, the amount of time you spend typing special characters in most languages will probably do weird things to your muscle memory. If you find it really hard to adjust to that, you might want to consider changing your approach to typing at that time. But don't put the cart before the horse. You really should be focusing 100% on this main goal of yours—the craft of building software—and avoid being distracted by stuff that doesn't matter.

NovemberMike posted:

I wouldn't do Python though, if you're just doing it to practice up. They are doing everything in Javascript as far as I can tell and that's a practical industry language. If you want another language I would recommend something like Java (completely unrelated to Javascript) since it gives you a little more access to low level constructs.
FWIW, I disagree pretty hard with this. When you're first starting out, the biggest hurdle isn't going to be high or low level languages or constructs or syntax or industry adoption or career readiness. It's going to be fighting the unending waves of discouragement every time you hit a stumbling block between the problem and a working chunk of code. To all new coders: use whatever you enjoy most, because it takes the friction out and none of that other stuff matters.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 29, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
HOLY poo poo! I'm a loving prophet.

I changed jobs just over a year ago because I was severely underpaid. That company got bought out a few months later and I spent the day they announced it polishing my resume instead of doing work. They knew this for months, and people like my supervisor lined up new jobs to quit the day the deal happened. The rest of us were in the dark and in fact found out 4 days after the fact that our insurance was canceled; the new policy was shittier, more expensive, and most important for me did not cover domestic partners. They're owned by giant corporation Raycom Media who gives zero fucks.

They promised all employees at the old company would be kept on, including those of us working remotely. gently caress them for the insurance nonsense in the first place, but that also sounded fishy to me. I lined up my current job in about 2 months and quit.

Now today my inbox is blowing up from former coworkers: They came in today after the long weekend and were pulled into a meeting where they were told ALL PYTHON DEVELOPERS HAVE BEEN LAID OFF, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!

When I quit 8 months ago, I said in 6 months' time they would find an excuse to give us the boot, once the old company was fully absorbed and no longer existed at all on paper and/or any promises made to get the buyout deal to go through expired. I was off by 2 months, but otherwise my instincts were spot on.

Such a shady company. But it feels so good to be able to rub this in the face of people like my father who were on my rear end saying I should just suck it up and tolerate a place treating me like poo poo because "you change jobs every other week" (never mind that I've had all of 4 programming jobs in my career, he had a job handed to him when he graduated and coasted and never even advanced for 30 years and thinks that's normal). Had I not seen this coming and taken control, I would be so hosed right now.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Such a shady company. But it feels so good to be able to rub this in the face of people like my father who were on my rear end saying I should just suck it up and tolerate a place treating me like poo poo because "you change jobs every other week" (never mind that I've had all of 4 programming jobs in my career, he had a job handed to him when he graduated and coasted and never even advanced for 30 years and thinks that's normal). Had I not seen this coming and taken control, I would be so hosed right now.

A good rule of thumb is that once an acquisition happens, if you're not important enough to get a retention agreement (a.k.a. we are willing to pay you not to quit until we're ready), you better start looking for a new job ASAP. In my experience, I've almost always gotten at least a 1-year retention arrangement worth a good chunk of cash (50-75% of the yearly salary.)

Also, look at what others that are higher than you are doing. They almost always have more information than you, and if those rats are jumping off the ship, it's probably sinking.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Question for y'all more experienced devs: Is it bad form to use a word wrap option in your IDE so you don't have to horizontally scroll all the time? I just got taken to task majorly for it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shirec posted:

Question for y'all more experienced devs: Is it bad form to use a word wrap option in your IDE so you don't have to horizontally scroll all the time? I just got taken to task majorly for it.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, it cannot effect the code in any way, it's purely a style thing. Maybe if it was causing you to fuckup the white space rules in Python constantly I could see them bitching, but otherwise it's time to :sever:

edit: if they are bitching about you writing lines longer than X chars, then their complaint is valid. You should be following the team's style guide, but it sounded like they were just bitching about your IDE settings.

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 30, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shirec posted:

In the bad old days, it was very hard to view a line that extended more than 80 characters, so the rule was to limit yourself to 80 characters per line. The reasons for having that restriction went away, but it's the rule, and rules will often outlive their rationales. Some people are very picky about it. Others, like me, see it as a nice guideline that we should all strive to live up to whenever we remember to.

Having lines so long that word wrap kicks in is probably a real issue because anyone who tries to view that code outside of an IDE won't necessarily have the option to enable word wrap. On the other hand, your boss is the worst, so you shouldn't read too much into this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's best to avoid long lines so that wrap isn't necessary because this will make it easier to read and understand, but given that there are such lines despite the best possible intentions, it literally doesn't matter how you display your code.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who says she wrote the long line? Don’t blame her for something she probably didn’t even touch.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Ok good to know. I figured my boss was completely nuts for ranting about this and wanted to make sure. He also threw in some choice lines about how "this isn't Excel or Word, line length matters" (I come from a business background as he's always quick to remind me, so it makes me extra bad).

As to why he gives a gently caress :
"Shirec, what if you take a screenshot of something and you're using word wrap and the offshore team isn't? So they are going to ping you back and overall that whole thing will be one whole wasted day over you using word wrap. I have decades of experience that you don't have, and I've spent a lot of time and effort perfectly developing our IDE, dev, and VM environment, and any changes you make need to be discussed as a team."

Pollyanna posted:

Who says she wrote the long line? Don’t blame her for something she probably didn’t even touch.

Haha I wouldn't if I had a choice but this dude has really particular requirements. I'm currently working on fulfilling unit tests that have some properties that are half a dozen lines worth of 'value' that he wants validated. I had issues because I was getting exactly what that was, without returns, and the unit tests were injecting tabs and whatnot into it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Shirec posted:

Ok good to know. I figured my boss was completely nuts for ranting about this and wanted to make sure. He also threw in some choice lines about how "this isn't Excel or Word, line length matters" (I come from a business background as he's always quick to remind me, so it makes me extra bad).

"Shirec, what if you take a screenshot of something and you're using word wrap and the offshore team isn't? So they are going to ping you back and overall that whole thing will be one whole wasted day over you using word wrap. I have decades of experience that you don't have, and I've spent a lot of time and effort perfectly developing our IDE, dev, and VM environment, and any changes you make need to be discussed as a team."

Who takes screenshots of code?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Hahaha hoooo boy. I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm learning a whole lot of bad practices. TBF, we aren't using screenshots that often (except to set up wiki pages) but I guess he imagines that is how I will be sharing code with offshore? I have no idea.

I'm also not allowed to currently bring up any issues with our unit tests or discuss problems/typos whatever I'm having since I need to "pretend" I'm an offshore resource so we can get a feel for what the process is like.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

The people who print their email, scan the resulting paper and send you the PDF.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shirec posted:

Haha I wouldn't if I had a choice but this dude has really particular requirements. I'm currently working on fulfilling unit tests that have some properties that are half a dozen lines worth of 'value' that he wants validated. I had issues because I was getting exactly what that was, without returns, and the unit tests were injecting tabs and whatnot into it.

:sever:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

"Shirec, what if you take a screenshot of something and you're using word wrap and the offshore team isn't? So they are going to ping you back and overall that whole thing will be one whole wasted day over you using word wrap."

Hmmm It's almost like offshoring cost savings are entirely lost on lower quality and time lost in communication availability.
:thunk:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Shirec posted:

I'm also not allowed to currently bring up any issues with our unit tests or discuss problems/typos whatever I'm having since I need to "pretend" I'm an offshore resource so we can get a feel for what the process is like.

Get out of the well!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shirec posted:

Hahaha hoooo boy. I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm learning a whole lot of bad practices.

Do, uh, you use source control? git?

It's 2018, you use git right?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Get out of the well!

In the process of! I'm waiting on hearing back from a last round interview currently. I have< 1 yr experience so it takes longer than I assume it would for folks with a bit more to offer. I've mainly been posting about that in the Newbie thread though, as that is what I am :)

Gildiss posted:

Hmmm It's almost like offshoring cost savings are entirely lost on lower quality and time lost in communication availability.
:thunk:

Oh for sure, and he acknowledges that. He actually treats them like an input/output machine that will perfectly get all unit tests passing, but it has to be carefully worded so they don't gently caress it up. Also any of those time delays are my fault generally. I'm "inefficient"

Brain Candy posted:

Do, uh, you use source control? git?

It's 2018, you use git right?

We do, with increasingly esoteric requirements. Once it was master with branches, then it was a test branch copy of master that had branches off that, and now we have 3 or so "candidate" branches for each iteration of releases.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

Oh for sure, and he acknowledges that. He actually treats them like an input/output machine that will perfectly get all unit tests passing, but it has to be carefully worded so they don't gently caress it up. Also any of those time delays are my fault generally. I'm "inefficient"

He doesn't understand how to write good unit tests, either. The developer writing the code should be writing the tests for the code, at the same time they're writing their code (or at least very shortly after).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

He doesn't understand how to write good unit tests, either. The developer writing the code should be writing the tests for the code, at the same time they're writing their code (or at least very shortly after).

This. Unless you're backfilling tests from an awful developer, he's doing a lot of things wrong.

Shirec posted:

Also any of those time delays are my fault generally. I'm "inefficient"

Your boss sounds like a disaster, just remember not to internalise his criticism.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

He doesn't understand how to write good unit tests, either.
No, you see, this is just another form of TDD. Write tests first, see them fail. Six months later, see them pass(*).

* Lol

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Shirec posted:

In the process of! I'm waiting on hearing back from a last round interview currently. I have< 1 yr experience so it takes longer than I assume it would for folks with a bit more to offer. I've mainly been posting about that in the Newbie thread though, as that is what I am :)

good lord I hope this works out for you because your current position sounds like :butt:

Shirec posted:

Also any of those time delays are my fault generally. I'm "inefficient"

also your boss is a jerk and you should absolutely make sure to only listen to him to the extent that you don't get fired and take any qualitative advice he gives you with a sizeable portion of salt

christ, what raging dickwad of a manager calls out a junior for being inefficient

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

good lord I hope this works out for you because your current position sounds like :butt:

also your boss is a jerk and you should absolutely make sure to only listen to him to the extent that you don't get fired and take any qualitative advice he gives you with a sizeable portion of salt

christ, what raging dickwad of a manager calls out a junior for being inefficient

Oh you should read the Tragedy of Shirec in the newbie thread.
Her boss is the actual devil.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

what the gently caress

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

That was a thing of beauty to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The right way to approach the issue would have been to get you a nice new mouse with a tilt to side scroll wheel and leave it on your desk with a note to the effect of "Now you can disable line wrapping. You're welcome :)"

ChickenWing posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah, I can't wait for the name-and-shame when we find his LinkedIn and his decades of experience turns out to be a series of nepotism hires where he follows some other disaster of a manager around, failing upwards.