Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

Was Star Ocean even good during its time? I only hear people bring it up being disappointed in it, here.

it was maybe neat when it was the only alternative to tales and it got a head start on 3d combat systems, but the combat never actually worked very well mechanically while tales evolved pretty steadily over its first few games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
I liked 3 (even replayed it last year so it's not just rose colored glasses) but my tolerance for bullshit is through the roof so I know my opinion is not the prevailing one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
star ocean 1 is hilarious because it's dull fantasy bullshit for the first hour and then a star trek crew beams down and says "we're here to help" and then you watch space politics for thirty minutes and then the star trek captain says "well, we can fix this if we go through a space time portal but we can't bring any lasers or science"

also the main character is named Roddick

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's no EDGE MAVERICK, though.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Everyone focuses on Edge Maverick but I've always thought Fayt Leingod was a way dumber name

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it was maybe neat when it was the only alternative to tales and it got a head start on 3d combat systems, but the combat never actually worked very well mechanically while tales evolved pretty steadily over its first few games

I like SO2's combat more than Tales of the Abyss's :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

don't make that noise i know you would play a game with hi-res pre-rendered science fiction backgrounds
I thought you wanted to make a Star Ocean game, though? :confused:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Make Suikoden great again

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sefal posted:

Make Suikoden great again

I'm really just astonished that no other game has managed to duplicate the success of that game's stronghold system. I'm not even sure what it is that sets it apart aside from the ginormous cast of characters of varying degrees of memorability. How was Ni No Kuni 2's attempt?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm really just astonished that no other game has managed to duplicate the success of that game's stronghold system. I'm not even sure what it is that sets it apart aside from the ginormous cast of characters of varying degrees of memorability. How was Ni No Kuni 2's attempt?

I've not finished it but I got to the point where I could see all the remaining building options (unless something special happens at level 4?). It was a good impression at first; there's enough dialogue for each of your citizens that they have some unique character about them. There are quests that they can give you and they acknowledge other citizens (including in said quests) so it feels lively.

The city itself though was a bit of a let down. And by level 3 your realise that you aren't going to see any more unique buildings, everything is just a slightly better version of the material generating or training halls you built previously. I can't fault it too much for that, it just dulled any enthusiasm I had for it. The citizens (with a few exceptions) are fairly interchangeable, which kind of leaves me wondering why they bother giving you the decision where to put them to work. There is overlap with some characters on where's best for them to work but I think it would have been better to have just had them go into fixed roles. Unassigning and reassigning people between buildings and projects isn't particularly well handled. Waiting for your kingdom money to generate and then be manually collected didn't feel fantastic either

I just really liked how in suikoden they grew organically as the plot progressed and as you gathered more people, without having a separate management game alongside it. Exploring your newly expanded castle felt kind of exciting compared to running around your kingdom where you already knew exactly what was there. I do like how the buildings, city walls and your throne room change visually as you upgrade them. I had fun with NNK2s take on strongholds but suikoden is still the best imo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RareAcumen posted:

Was Star Ocean even good during its time? I only hear people bring it up being disappointed in it, here.

Star Ocean 2 is a game I love to death, mostly because I picked it up for the first time when it was new and played it to pieces. It's got an endearing cast and the combat system is, uh, okay I guess, but the game is broken on numerous levels and it's really easy to pick the game apart if you know how. I'd say if someone new were to sit down and play it with no preconceptions they would regard it as a mediocre PSX JRPG.

Star Ocean 3 is a fairly solid early 3D action RPG, back before even Tales had thrown its hat in that ring(for reference, SO3 was released 6 months before Tales of Symphonia, which was the first 3D Tales game). It had a terrible plot and a super bizarre and overwrought crafting system but the core gameplay was fun. I think if a new player played it now it would feel very dated and not super great, but at the time it came out it was pretty revolutionary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GrandpaPants posted:

It's more like a mobile builder thing with timers, although all your citizens mostly being people with actual quests and stuff makes it somewhat better than that but it's still just busywork designed to pad out the game, which is NnK 2 in a nutshell unfortunately.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cold steel 2 does the "recruit npc to gain shops and stuff" thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Star Ocean 2 is a game I love to death, mostly because I picked it up for the first time when it was new and played it to pieces. It's got an endearing cast and the combat system is, uh, okay I guess, but the game is broken on numerous levels and it's really easy to pick the game apart if you know how. I'd say if someone new were to sit down and play it with no preconceptions they would regard it as a mediocre PSX JRPG.

Star Ocean 3 is a fairly solid early 3D action RPG, back before even Tales had thrown its hat in that ring(for reference, SO3 was released 6 months before Tales of Symphonia, which was the first 3D Tales game). It had a terrible plot and a super bizarre and overwrought crafting system but the core gameplay was fun. I think if a new player played it now it would feel very dated and not super great, but at the time it came out it was pretty revolutionary.

That's about how I'd describe Star Ocean 3 too. It was actually a pretty big release back in the day too, I remember there being entire rows of copies on the shelves at EB Games.

Though I do think special mention still needs to be made of the fact the game openly wastes your time for the entire first disc while you wait for the Diplo to turn up.

Tae posted:

Cold steel 2 does the "recruit npc to gain shops and stuff" thing.

It's not that new a concept. Skies of Arcadia does the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not that new a concept. Skies of Arcadia does the same thing.

Even Fallout 4 does this! (In a minimally interesting way)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lord Koth posted:

As I just recalled the first ever Shining series game to be released in english is just over a month away,

Shining in the Darkness and the Shining Force games were all in English. Do you mean the latest game in the Shining series?

The Colonel posted:

star ocean from birth was discount tales without the desire to do anything to set itself apart other than have a 3d combat system that also played worse

So was SO4.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shining in the Darkness and the Shining Force games were all in English. Do you mean the latest game in the Shining series?

I assume they mean the Shining Resonance rerelease since that's out in a month or 2. I'm curious about that one too though from the trailers it just looks like an even campier Tales game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

star ocean from birth was discount tales without the desire to do anything to set itself apart other than have a 3d combat system that also played worse

But enough about Tales of Symphonia.

Star Ocean 1 did have designs at greater scope and even some kind of immersion than Tales, with optional/branching characters, areas you could sneak into early, the entire skill/crafting system, and PAs before there were skits. In general it took shots at being more open than Tales of Phantasia.

Granted, it was as janky as the next SNES RPG, but I give Tales credit for trying, so I should give Star Ocean credit for trying too.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

crossposting because i'm excited

dmboogie posted:

Spiderweb Software (Geneforge, Avernum, Avadon) just opened up a kickstarter for a new series!

Not sure how exciting the sales pitch is for people coming in fresh, but I'm stoked, personally.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dmboogie posted:

I can never get into these games but Jeff Vogel is super cool and it rules that he's just out there doing his thing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Everyone focuses on Edge Maverick but I've always thought Fayt Leingod was a way dumber name

it is a dumber name

we focus on edge maverick because the name owns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dmboogie posted:

It looks terrible. Jeff Vogel presents bad minecraft :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I started Earthbound on my SNES Classic. I've tried playing it in the past but for some reason the backgrounds in battle made me sick. They don't anymore and I don't know why. I played Mother 3 and loved it so I always wanted to play Earthbound. So far I'm pleased, but also kind of disappointed. That said, I like it.

I really loved the intro. Again, I've never been able to get past the intro because the battle backgrounds made me feel weird, something Mother 3's didn't for some reason? I found it really charming. Finding the meteor, fighting the Starman and the talking bee, everything involving Pokey and his brother, only for Pokey's mom to kill the bee. I found myself laughing a lot as I played it. I'm disappointed that level of charm hasn't appeared again.

I'm at Twoson, I think the name of the town is?

So far I've only had two or maybe three problems with the game. As a DQ clone, given that sometimes you fight 4-5 enemies at once, I was surprised you don't have a weapon like the boomerang to clear out fodder. Instead you only have multi-hit Psi spell. I found it odd that the game took a lot from DQ without some of DQ's QoL features like the boomerang. Hitting enemies one by one when I'm fighting so many and with Ness alone can be...tedious. Maybe I'm still too early to complain about that but I've itching for my second party member, Paula, ASAP. Problem two is that on the way from Onett I got attacked by some mushrooms and received a mushroom on my head. I was fine with it working as a confused status in battle and having a cute/funny shroom on Ness' head, but when my controls started to change I instantly hated it. I tried to heal Ness with his healing spell, nothing worked, and there wasn't any item to buy to fix it either. In the end I had to trek all the way to the hospital for a cure in a new town I didn't know where the hospital even was, which was absolutely annoying. Im not sure why they thought changing the controls was a good idea but I hope to get a cure spell that can heal it soon because that status effect makes me want to die.

I'm also shocked at the lack of story so far. It's very...barebones for a 1994/1995 late SNES RPG. It feels NES level in many ways, actually. Which coming from Mother 3 is pretty shocking how light it is.

Other than those nitpicks I really like it. My main issues are just QoL stuff like a lack of boomerang like weapon which makes clearing fodder easier and the horrendous mushroom status effect.

On the plus side, it's amazing how current the game feels in a lot of ways. From its encounter system to the fact that enemies below your level run away or even automatically end the battle if they're weak enough. These quality of life features make playing the game feel really good almost like the game is ahead of its time. I feel the encounter system for example to be much better than Chrono Trigger's.

And that's without mentioning how utterly charming the rest of the game is.

I mean, look at Frank and his peers.

The music can be excellent as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rss5DevAg94

Overall, I'm really liking it but don't find it as good/fun as Mother 3 yet especially in the story department. I'm hoping it picks up there once I get Paula.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The start of Earthbound(specifically the stretch from Franky to Paula) is the roughest and least fun part of the game, IMO, because the game doesn't really pull its punches despite you having a whopping one party member. It's not HARD, per se, but it necessitates a lot of grinding/backtracking.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

It looks terrible. Jeff Vogel presents bad minecraft :(

idk where you're getting minecraft from man, it looks like... a spiderweb rpg but with basebuilding this time

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dmboogie posted:

This is gonna be the first videogame kickstarter I ever back because if Jeff Vogel can't deliver on his promises on time then I can't believe in anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kanos posted:

The start of Earthbound(specifically the stretch from Franky to Paula) is the roughest and least fun part of the game, IMO, because the game doesn't really pull its punches despite you having a whopping one party member. It's not HARD, per se, but it necessitates a lot of grinding/backtracking.

I feel that they did that on purpose to really emphasize the message that friendship rocks and makes you really appreciate your party members. Don't you even return through that zone with both Jeff and Paula in tow or am I misremembering?

I also wish I really liked the Spiderweb Software games more, since they seem like such labors of love. But goddamn if the mechanics aren't dull as dirt.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Srice posted:

This is gonna be the first videogame kickstarter I ever back because if Jeff Vogel can't deliver on his promises on time then I can't believe in anything.

:yeah:

GrandpaPants posted:

I also wish I really liked the Spiderweb Software games more, since they seem like such labors of love. But goddamn if the mechanics aren't dull as dirt.

that's fair. geneforge is definitely his most interesting series from both a writing and mechanical perspective, but avernum and avadon scratch a very specific "go dungeoning and questing while listening to chill music or w/e in the background" itch for me even if they're not usually like, actively exciting

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Avernum and Avadon aren't 'exciting', but they're engaging as hell, and one of the few times a video game has actually made me feel like I'm in a living world. Especially Avernum 3.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Avernum and Avadon aren't 'exciting', but they're engaging as hell, and one of the few times a video game has actually made me feel like I'm in a living world. Especially Avernum 3.

you put it a lot better than I did! the writing isn't the centerpiece a lot of the time but like, even minor NPCs usually have enough depth to them to keep them from feeling like interchangeable questgiver #42069, which definitely helps with engagement

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Also, How is it that Lydie and Suelle didn't know Lucia was their cousin or that their dad was heir to Atelier Borthayre despite clearly having known each other growing up? Why would that be a secret?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yeah, I don't even understand why I can be fully engaged with stuff like the Trails of series, which aren't that mechanically rigorous, but just bounce off of the Spiderweb games. I assume the answer is anime, but it is a truth that I am not ready to embrace.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, I don't even understand why I can be fully engaged with stuff like the Trails of series, which aren't that mechanically rigorous, but just bounce off of the Spiderweb games. I assume the answer is anime, but it is a truth that I am not ready to embrace.

this post actually got me thinking and i think a big thing that makes it easier for me to get into jrpgs than wrpgs personally, especially older ones, is aesthetics. trails, even the sky games, generally have much nicer, softer and more easily readable aesthetics than some contemporary wrpgs, let alone something deliberately hearkening back to old isometric infinity engine games like geneforge

mechanics and different approaches to writing are obvs another bigger thing, wrpgs are more immediately daunting not just in how you have to think about character building but in how much more monolithic their approach to character writing and dialog can feel relatively, but aesthetics are something i've kind of had on my mind but hadn't really thought too deeply about til now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Trails and, from what I see of the Spiderweb library, not remotely similar other than level ups rpg things.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

The Colonel posted:

this post actually got me thinking and i think a big thing that makes it easier for me to get into jrpgs than wrpgs personally, especially older ones, is aesthetics. trails, even the sky games, generally have much nicer, softer and more easily readable aesthetics than some contemporary wrpgs, let alone something deliberately hearkening back to old isometric infinity engine games like geneforge

mechanics and different approaches to writing are obvs another bigger thing, wrpgs are more immediately daunting not just in how you have to think about character building but in how much more monolithic their approach to character writing and dialog can feel relatively, but aesthetics are something i've kind of had on my mind but hadn't really thought too deeply about til now

yeah, and trails specifically is an intensely character-focused series while your hero/party in every spiderweb series except Avadon is just a bunch of ciphers - not that there aren't any interesting recurring characters, they just aren't the focus of the games

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

dmboogie posted:

yeah, and trails specifically is an intensely character-focused series while your hero/party in every spiderweb series except Avadon is just a bunch of ciphers - not that there aren't any interesting recurring characters, they just aren't the focus of the games

Maybe this is the crux of what I find appealing in RPGs, that I resonate more with characters, however stereotypical and tropey they may be, more than settings (although I guess I still prioritize mechanics over all). Even in something that's ostensibly more mechanically rigorous like Pillars or the old Infinity Engine games, I liked the characters palling around with me and their commentary on the adventures more than the adventure itself.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Embrace your nepstiny.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe this is the crux of what I find appealing in RPGs, that I resonate more with characters, however stereotypical and tropey they may be, more than settings (although I guess I still prioritize mechanics over all). Even in something that's ostensibly more mechanically rigorous like Pillars or the old Infinity Engine games, I liked the characters palling around with me and their commentary on the adventures more than the adventure itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite western rpg is fallout: new vegas and i think a lot of that is stuff like having a follower who the moment you step foot in the big bad guy's camp takes a moment to ask "ok what are we doing here" and your options range from trying to explain your reasoning, giving a reason that will obviously piss him off or saying "dude. we gonna fuckin kill this guy together"