Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Busy Bee posted:

I finally installed Oreo 8.0 on my phone and after I installed the update it cleared up about 8 GB of space on my phone. What happened?

It's just a lot smaller than previous versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

I cannot find the app anywhere aside from a shady rear end app site.

Strange, maybe it's one of those apps that only shows up when the correct carrier sim is in place, sorry

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

APK Mirror isn't shady.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

apkmirror is like the only non-shady apk site lol

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

do u know jenny posted:

apkmirror is like the only non-shady apk site lol

They're owned and operated by Androidpolice in fact, one of the few decent Android news sites.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

apkmirror owns

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It's gotten way looser since purchase. I'm not exaggerating when I say the weight of the cable is more than enough to pull it out on it's own just sitting on a table. I'd write Apple a complaint but it's a MacBook Pro so the keyboard isn't reliable enough to register keypresses.

It's pretty amazing how much worse it is in every way from the 2011 MacBook Air it replaced.

Maybe when you have to pay to replace the keyboard because a piece of dust got under a key you can have them fix the ports too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks all.

Apparently this is all TMobile's fault. At find the app but basically they keep getting confused over wether or not the phone has a balance or belonged to another customer.

Even though it was new.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks all.

Apparently this is all TMobile's fault. At find the app but basically they keep getting confused over wether or not the phone has a balance or belonged to another customer.

Even though it was new.

Any chance it was a return?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I know everybody hates the Moto G line now, but I just got notice that the G6 is up for preorder now. Available only in black, estimated delivery date of 6/6/18 right at this instant.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think the G6 seems like a pretty good option for that price range.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8.1 with June security patch seems to be rolling out to the G5S Plus.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/30/android-8-1-oreo-rolling-moto-g5s-plus/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

Any chance it was a return?

It's possible but we've had no less than four different results from five calls. Sister got another unlock code *requested* by the agent, so we're monitoring for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google is adding the Moto G6, LG G7, and LG v35 to Google Fi.

I believe these are also the first non-Google, non-Android One devices for the service. I wonder if the manufacturers made any update commitment to Google to get them on Fi.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 30, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Google is adding the Moto G6, LG G7, and LG v35 to Google Fi.

I believe these are also the first non-Google, non-Android One devices for the service. I wonder if with manufacturer made any update commitment to Google to get them on Fi.

Zero interest financing too, $8.29 a month for 24 months to get a G6.

Fi is a good deal if you don't use much data. Going zero to smartphone for $40/mo all in for phone and service is excellent, assuming you can be a data miser.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

June security patch

I guess that means general availability for the patch will be in August :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Twerk from Home posted:

Zero interest financing too, $8.29 a month for 24 months to get a G6.

Fi is a good deal if you don't use much data. Going zero to smartphone for $40/mo all in for phone and service is excellent, assuming you can be a data miser.

I think it's a terrible deal. I pay like $16/month for unlimited talk/text and 2gig data on Mint. I can use wifi voice calls as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's a terrible deal. I pay like $16/month for unlimited talk/text and 2gig data on Mint. I can use wifi voice calls as well.

That looks like it is some sort of promo offer, although Mint looks pretty drat cheap in general.

Also, Mint won't finance you a phone, so I'm assuming you have to go buy the phone outright somewhere. My $40 spitball number was including financing the phone.

Edit: After looking more, Mint gives you discounts if you pay for the whole year of service up front to get that cheap. Interesting model, won't work for the extremely cash strapped. $40/mo to Fi with $0 up front is easier for a large chunk of the US population than $180 for a year of service from Mint + $250 to buy an unlocked Moto G6.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

For 45 dollars you can get unlimited data with T-Mobile backbone (lol who cares about Sprint) from simple mobile

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner/status/1001757270550679552

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
just got an e-mail about the Moto G6 preorder. Worth upgrading from the 5?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nope

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

just got an e-mail about the Moto G6 preorder. Worth upgrading from the 5?

The CPU is slower, I don't think the camera is much better.

Edit: Also, it doesn't have NFC.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
nice 'upgrade' then, ignore! Not that I need a new phone anyway. But you know, new shiny things.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Weaponized Cum posted:

nice 'upgrade' then, ignore! Not that I need a new phone anyway. But you know, new shiny things.

I upgraded from a Moto G5 to a Mate SE for $220 and it's a giant, massive upgrade that I still haven't gotten used to yet

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The mate se is a good phone but they're not providing bootloader unlock codes after 60 days from like last week so if you are worried about that and the potential for no upgrades, get it now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Can I get the g6 from google and immediately switch it to my vzw plan without paying anything extra or the monthly fee? It's $30 cheaper than amazon...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know this is mod sassing to some extent, but I don't think it's really worth posting everyone's fabricated design based off of two screen protectors that can't be validated to have anything to do with the Pixel at all.

I mean, the XL is likely to have a notch, but literally everything else about the design is up in the air.

Even the size of the notch may not be easily extrapolated from the screen protector because we're assuming the black areas of a pre-production screen protector of a pre-production phone perfectly covers the black area of the bezel while having no other clues of screen size.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I know this is mod sassing to some extent, but I don't think it's really worth posting everyone's fabricated design based off of two screen protectors that can't be validated to have anything to do with the Pixel at all.

I agree with you. I don't see the point of posting what essentially is a fan render.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Renders based upon the slightest leaked information are a dime a dozen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

render deez nutz

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

The mate se is a good phone but they're not providing bootloader unlock codes after 60 days from like last week so if you are worried about that and the potential for no upgrades, get it now

lol nah I couldn't care less about a buttloader

The cool thing about buying a nice $200 phone is throwing it in a drawer in 12-18 months when it starts to feel boring or slow or behind on Android releases, plus never caring about dropping it or handing it to one of your toddlers

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Id still be pretty upset if my kid destroyed $200

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Id still be pretty upset if my kid destroyed $200

It happens regularly with little kids, frequently in the form of medical bills.

Also, daycare "destroys" more than $1k/mo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

lol nah I couldn't care less about a buttloader

The cool thing about buying a nice $200 phone is throwing it in a drawer in 12-18 months when it starts to feel boring or slow or behind on Android releases, plus never caring about dropping it or handing it to one of your toddlers

Phone works fine, kid buys $1500 worth of smurf berries.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now here's a juicy rumor for the Pixel 3 and 3 XL.

Bloomberg is reporting that Google is in talks with Foxconn for building both devices.

This tracks with bringing HTC talent in house. Just think, no more arguments about who built their Pixel better!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-30/google-is-said-to-plan-pixel-upgrades-seeking-iphone-challenger

Another interesting thing in that source is they are saying the smaller model will not have an edge to edge display. It will be similar to this and last year's model. This invalidates part of the screen protector leak and honestly seems more likely to me if they want to keep the 5" size since there exists no edge to edge 5" OLED panel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Using the latest and greatest rendering technology available, we can determine with reasonable certainty that the new phone will be a glossy rectangle with a notch.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Another interesting thing in that source is they are saying the smaller model will not have an edge to edge display. It will be similar to this and last year's model. This invalidates part of the screen protector leak and honestly seems more likely to me if they want to keep the 5" size since there exists no edge to edge 5" OLED panel.

drat, don't get my hopes up, that'd rule

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sir Lemming posted:

Using the latest and greatest rendering technology available, we can determine with reasonable certainty that the new phone will be a glossy rectangle with a notch.

sourdough posted:

drat, don't get my hopes up, that'd rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I mean, the XL is likely to have a notch, but literally everything else about the design is up in the air.

Even the size of the notch may not be easily extrapolated from the screen protector because we're assuming the black areas of a pre-production screen protector of a pre-production phone perfectly covers the black area of the bezel while having no other clues of screen size.

Here's a hot take. Shut up and let people post rumors.