Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There should be a tier where he sues you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There should be a tier where he sues you.

I thought that was the $1 tier?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's reporting and threatening legal action against commenters, so you're not wrong.

No, no, McCraken only -witnessed- a shooting and blamed the victim? Or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. McCraken had a far deeper and richer personal life than I could have suspected.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's nice that dude is imploding in the most fun way he possibly could. It'd have been a real shame if he just kinda shrugged off the failure and moved on with his life

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Anniversary posted:

I thought that was the $1 tier?
I think that only gets you reported to the Kickstarter admins?

I did have an honest go at reading the examples of play he just posted and I think I'm going to drink tonight after all.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I think that only gets you reported to the Kickstarter admins?

I did have an honest go at reading the examples of play he just posted and I think I'm going to drink tonight after all.

Oh. Hmm. Maybe?

And yeah, those examples of play... sure are something?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, no, McCraken only -witnessed- a shooting and blamed the victim? Or something.

No, that's what happened. Raven was also going to write a novel about it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Anniversary posted:

Oh. Hmm. Maybe?

And yeah, those examples of play... sure are something?

:wow:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, has anyone found this dude's time portal to 1994?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Hey y'all, we just launched the Kickstarter for Vast: The Mysterious Manor, our follow-up to Vast: The Crystal Caverns.

I'm the editor and the usability developer for it, so you'll have a goon to yell at if it sucks—we learned a lot about teaching and presenting highly asymmetric games from the first Vast, which we applied to Root, and we hope to take even further with the Mysterious Manor.

(Note that I've only done some basic work on the rulebook so far, so there's much more refining to come as the design goes from almost to fully done.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Caedar posted:

Hey y'all, we just launched the Kickstarter for Vast: The Mysterious Manor, our follow-up to Vast: The Crystal Caverns.

I'm the editor and the usability developer for it, so you'll have a goon to yell at if it sucks—we learned a lot about teaching and presenting highly asymmetric games from the first Vast, which we applied to Root, and we hope to take even further with the Mysterious Manor.

(Note that I've only done some basic work on the rulebook so far, so there's much more refining to come as the design goes from almost to fully done.)

So how did you address the issue each player basically needed to learn 4-5 different rulesets to properly interact with each other, and that one of those rulesets was the Cave which was dull as loving dirt and basically guaranteed at least one player at the table hates the game?

I haven't read the rules, but I see the Skeletons alone have (at least) 5 different types of skeletons, and the Manor resembles the Cave, which is somewhat worrisome.

Edit: On another note, I'm kinda bummed that Empyreal probably won't reach those alt conductors.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: On another note, I'm kinda bummed that Empyreal probably won't reach those alt conductors.

Also makes me think it won't make it to retail, which makes me want to back it, even though I really don't need to be getting any more games right now.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

GrandpaPants posted:

So how did you address the issue each player basically needed to learn 4-5 different rulesets to properly interact with each other, and that one of those rulesets was the Cave which was dull as loving dirt and basically guaranteed at least one player at the table hates the game?

I haven't read the rules, but I see the Skeletons alone have (at least) 5 different types of skeletons, and the Manor resembles the Cave, which is somewhat worrisome.

The "dull as loving dirt" question I can't speak to as much because of my specific role—I've been working on Root as the creative team has been working on TMM—but we're posting developer diaries about the new roles over on BGG, so you'll see full breakdowns of the roles' evolution there.

On the usability side, in any highly asymmetric game there's always going to be some amount of cross-learning, but here are a few of our overarching design goals to make that process easier and more enjoyable:

Remove Need for Big Player Aids. Include basically everything you need to play your own role on your player board. We did this to great effect in Root—it made learning your role significantly easier, and we could get players understanding their roles intuitively within minutes—and we're on track to repeat this in TMM. Some of the game design changes to TMM made it possible to create more "heuristic" rules that made this much easier to do than in TCC.

Improve Mobility of Info. We want to make it easier for players to pass around information around the table related to interactive parts of the game. For example, you'll notice that the Spider doesn't have a tableau of abilities printed on the player board itself, but rather they're on a smaller Form card that you can pass around if someone else wants to learn more about you. Likewise, most of the Skeletons' (all, if I can get my way) pertinent information is included on cards, rather than printed on the board. We may also include some small card-sized cross-faction aids, as we did in Root, that give the essential interactions between roles that you can reference once you have a sense of your role.

Include Narrative Walkthrough Script. One thing we added to Root, which we'll be experimenting with in TMM, is a walkthrough teaching script, so that players can learn how their roles play while also teaching each other the essential interactions. A lot of people really enjoyed this method of learning in Root, and I have a hunch that this style of rules learning will help Vast TMM even more.

We have many more ideas for improving the learning and referencing experience, but naturally that'll evolve over the course of usability testing and iteration.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Funny, I was just about to link that !

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Caedar posted:

Remove Need for Big Player Aids. Include basically everything you need to play your own role on your player board. We did this to great effect in Root—it made learning your role significantly easier, and we could get players understanding their roles intuitively within minutes—and we're on track to repeat this in TMM. Some of the game design changes to TMM made it possible to create more "heuristic" rules that made this much easier to do than in TCC.

The main problem in Vast isn't learning your own role, but learning other players' roles and how they interact with the board state. I remember being the Thief, and I knew exactly what my abilities are and what I needed to do to win, but I didn't get good feedback as to how my actions affected other players. I still have no idea how the Dragon plays, so as a result, I didn't feel informed about effective how my actions were against the Dragon. The Spider Form card, for example, would be worthless to me, the Knight player, if I had no idea how it actually worked with the Spider's mechanics, which I would have to learn separately from my own Knight mechanics.

You can have highly asymmetric games but still bind everyone within the same ruleset. Chaos in the Old World, Cthulhu Wars, and Twilight Struggle are very asymmetric games, but every player plays by the same basic rules, which is what basically kills Vast. Even COIN games have pretty high overlap in the rules between each of the factions, although I'm less confident in that assertion since I haven't delved into the harder COIN games. Asking players to learn 4-5 different rulesets to play a game where those rulesets don't necessarily become greater than the sum of its parts is the hurdle that I'm not sure Root or Vast has overcome. Like having a game where one player is playing Hearthstone, another is playing Yugioh, and another is playing MTG does not make for a compelling experience outside of "high asymmetry."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of projects that are going on:

Part-Time Gods, Second Edition has 11 days left. In PTG, you play humans who have been infused with the power of godhood over a single concept (like fire, alcohol, music, guns, dogs, etc.) and now have to balance their moral lives with their divine lives to avoid losing the connection to either. I reviewed the first edition ages ago, and despite the clunky mechanics I really liked it. Fortunately, this new version is using a more modern, narrative ruleset. There's a free preview up on DriveThru as well.

Tachyon Squadron launched today. It's a Fate Core sci-fi game focused on space battles and dogfighting. Backing gets you access to the text-only draft.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Part-Time Gods, Second Edition has 11 days left. In PTG, you play humans who have been infused with the power of godhood over a single concept (like fire, alcohol, music, guns, dogs, etc.) and now have to balance their moral lives with their divine lives to avoid losing the connection to either. I reviewed the first edition ages ago, and despite the clunky mechanics I really liked it. Fortunately, this new version is using a more modern, narrative ruleset. There's a free preview up on DriveThru as well.

I backed it when it started - I figure if its 2E does for it what Ninja Crusade's second edition did for it, we'll be in good shape.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Orc Stabr is in it's last 36 hours now. I didn't quite expect how many final hour backers we'd get. We just posted an update hinting at one of the cool extras included in the packs, but if you want half a sheet of rpg rules written by a fictional orc and you've got $2 burning a hole in your pocket, now's the time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1930759690/orc-stabr

We're arranging a small meet and greet at GenCon for people to get their games early, complete with said fictional orc and some exclusive doodads that we're not telling anyone about

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Orc Stabr is in it's last 36 hours now. I didn't quite expect how many final hour backers we'd get. We just posted an update hinting at one of the cool extras included in the packs, but if you want half a sheet of rpg rules written by a fictional orc and you've got $2 burning a hole in your pocket, now's the time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1930759690/orc-stabr

We're arranging a small meet and greet at GenCon for people to get their games early, complete with said fictional orc and some exclusive doodads that we're not telling anyone about

Man, I was the four hundredth backer, and I'm gonna be at gencon, but I just haunt the heroes of rokugan area because getting around such a huge con is too drat hard for me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh hey friend.

Well I'll be around GenCon a whole bunch, I'll find some time to come to you. You did win that special rock after all.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh hey friend.

Well I'll be around GenCon a whole bunch, I'll find some time to come to you. You did win that special rock after all.

I love rocks!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Orc Stabr is the feel-good sensation of the last 30 days.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Aventura Legacy guy is really upset about this one guy who keeps making shitposts on his kickstarter and keeps referring to him in comments to other people, so all of his recent comments take on this surrealist vibe as he rants about "Mr Sticky Pants"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tachyon Squadron launched today. It's a Fate Core sci-fi game focused on space battles and dogfighting. Backing gets you access to the text-only draft.

I've backed this to see what the dogfighting rules are like. It's annoying that Fate continues to be the best choice to run a Star Wars game. :argh:

Also, lol:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love Outlaw Star!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've backed this to see what the dogfighting rules are like. It's annoying that Fate continues to be the best choice to run a Star Wars game. :argh:

Also, lol:

Insect goatse?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Continuing my tradition of bringing you tiny affordable games, Mad Love is only $8! Mignola-esque art makes this little 2 player co-op card game pop. You can P&P a free version from the campaign page too.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, lol:

So, how ARE those dogfighting rules?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Continuing my tradition of bringing you tiny affordable games, Mad Love is only $8! Mignola-esque art makes this little 2 player co-op card game pop. You can P&P a free version from the campaign page too.

Pretty art, clever mechanics, and cheap! That's my kind of combination! Backed!

And Eight doesn't get nearly as much love as he deserves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Insect goatse?

LeSquide posted:

So, how ARE those dogfighting rules?

I'll let you know as soon as I've had the time to sit down and read the rules draft. :v:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Archives of the Sky: Epic Sci-fi Roleplaying is just a day out from sucessfully funding. Its looks to be a small, somber sci-fi game with mechanics along the lines of Fiasco or Downfall. I'm digging it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I almost forgot to back Orc Stabr. It would have been my mistake of century.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm pondering getting it for a friend, but...um...can someone translate for me? Is the $10 level *actually* "You'll get the full one page of rules" or "you'll get two torn pieces" or somewhere in between?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Way I'm reading it, you still get the half piece but your name will be on it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Every backer will also be sent a PDF of the complete rules, so it should be playable regardless.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I'm pondering getting it for a friend, but...um...can someone translate for me? Is the $10 level *actually* "You'll get the full one page of rules" or "you'll get two torn pieces" or somewhere in between?

I believe you'll get two halves, badly taped together, which may not have initially been a single copy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NinjaDebugger has the rightish idea, you'll get one sheet of rules, that have been "repaired". Here's a prototype we sent to a reviewer.
https://imgur.com/a/zt16ykZ

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, lol:

Even ignoring the Fate game part just seeing that pic tells me this is an Evil Hat game because I'm not sure this artist does work for anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I almost forgot to back Orc Stabr. It would have been my mistake of century.

Ditto. Just fixed that now. Looking forward to the stabbn