Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And if the level gap within party is higher than 8, you get nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Groggy nard posted:

Doing the roulettes as SCH is great because then you get Healer wait times while still getting levels on your SMN.

Yeah but I want to play a summoner, not a scholar

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is SMN/SCH XP retroactive? As in, if I unlocked a SCH now I have a level 70 SMN, what would I start at?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

And if the level gap within party is higher than 8, you get nothing.

So at 12 I should at least be able to get kill credit with level 20s in the party? I care less about per mob XP and just getting the challenge logs done, when I was partying up on the fate train at level 6-7 nothing was giving me challenge log progress, even stuff that was tagged to our party.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is SMN/SCH XP retroactive? As in, if I unlocked a SCH now I have a level 70 SMN, what would I start at?

SCH will be 70. They're both using the ACN's XP/level.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Darth Walrus posted:

They both run off your Arcanist level, so a freshly unlocked Scholar would be level 70 for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

They both run off your Arcanist level, so a freshly unlocked Scholar would be level 70 for you.

Ah? Interesting. Might make figuring out my rotation a little tricky, though, given that I will have all of the buttons and all of the mechanics dumped on me at once.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah? Interesting. Might make figuring out my rotation a little tricky, though, given that I will have all of the buttons and all of the mechanics dumped on me at once.

Healers don’t really have rotations.

Edit: and I’m a raid sch if you need help figuring out stuff.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 30, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also some skills gated behind Job quests, so you won't have everything dumped on you, but you will have an odd mix of abilities for sure.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I once had a smn try out for a static I was in. It came out that he was using Ruin 2 bound to his spacebar.

We did not end up recruiting him.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
that smn was owning

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I once had a smn try out for a static I was in. It came out that he was using Ruin 2 bound to his spacebar.

We did not end up recruiting him.

everyone knows spacebar is for your mount

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
shift+forward is for your mount, because it makes you run faster.
shift for faster has been common sense since doom :cmon:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Space bar is for jumping and s is for walking backwards

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spacebar is for your most commonly used action, or for an action that you use frequently while moving, since you don't need to move your hand off of WASD (or ESDF if you're some kinda weirdo) to press it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Always jump while moving

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

Spacebar is for your most commonly used action, or for an action that you use frequently while moving, since you don't need to move your hand off of WASD (or ESDF if you're some kinda weirdo) to press it.
Yeah the most commonly used action, jumping.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

how do people using legacy controls do the part of o8s where you have to backpedal towards where Kefka is teleporting while staring at the statue?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

how do people using legacy controls do the part of o8s where you have to backpedal towards where Kefka is teleporting while staring at the statue?

My static runs forward through him if that happens. You have plenty of time to get into place for the teleport.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just smh if you're not constantly jumping

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Jumping lets you avoid ground based AOEs

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leal posted:

Jumping lets you avoid ground based AOEs

I actually believed this back in ARR when I was fighting Titan. :v:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Yeah the most commonly used action, jumping.

:hai:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

orcane posted:

I agree the change is awful, but this specific part isn't new - when the 24-mans are fresh you're not running them in 15-20 minutes and to even see your item drop may require running it those 4-5 (or more) times in the first place. The only part they changed is that you can't count on better odds by being the only job for your armor.

If you're not already treating any single place with RNG loot as "my poo poo's not dropping anyway" and be happy with your token, you have to be prepared to spend hours chasing your carrot though. The only exception (sort of) is full group content because you can generally run raids and trials more often in a sane amount of time to get what you want (and the loot tables are somewhat less bloated).

Back in the day I used 24mans as an easy way to keep my healer geared up since they had better queues and you only had to fight 1 other person for loot. That's all out the window now though, lol.

Wacky Delly posted:

Basically I roll on anything that is an upgrade and not for something I never play like NIN or DRG. It's worked so far only had to make 1 run each week.

Yeah, this is how I'm approaching it now, too much other stuff I'd rather do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still do this on some attacks out of pure reaction. Mentally I associate jumping with moving faster.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Frankly they need to just move 24s to a token system, and let it become an infinite farm for Second Chance points for WT or some other incentive to keep the queues full.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

I run out of orange circles, then turn around until it lands then keep running. I got caught by the mechanic a grand total once once we had it figured out, but I would've been anyway because I zoned out and wasn't paying attention to the symbol at all.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've never had a problem with it because the timing is a lot more generous then you may think. I'm assuming you're talking about the end of the graven image phase with tethers, mind, where the party is all clustered in the centre. Even if you want to play super safe and not move from dead centre until the last look/don't look resolves, popping sprint will get you safely to the edge before his teleport attack goes off. Sprint may not even be necessary.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vermain posted:

The "good" news, I guess, is that there's at least multiple ways of doing gear catch up this time around. 340 gear is pretty easy to get with repeated Rabanastre runs, you can do Eureka to upgrade to 350s, dungeons drop good gear frequently, there's craftable items that are (or were) fairly cheap, there's no Delta/Sigmascape lockout, etc. Back in the day, hammering my head against Syrcus Tower was pretty much the only viable gearing option as a catchup when I joined in 2.4.

What's the grind like for just getting 350 gear in Eureka? I was on hiatus for 4.25 and had written off Eureka because I didn't care about relics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the grind like for just getting 350 gear in Eureka? I was on hiatus for 4.25 and had written off Eureka because I didn't care about relics.
Big

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have no idea if it's true or not, but back when Titan was The poo poo I was told that the game doesn't register your position while you're in the air, so if you tried to jump out of the puddles right before they went off then you'd still get hit by them.

Nowadays it's probably more about latency than anything, but that stuck with me enough that I don't jump around when dodging mechanics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

It’s about the same as it takes to get to level 20, which you’ll need anyway for the next Eureka zone.

The next zone will be just weapons, unfortunately. No one knows if the relic armor will continue past dyeable AF3.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Jose Valasquez posted:

Locking on to the target by pressing L3, obviously.

(I have not actually done this fight nor do I ever actually use target lock but it is amusing that this would technically be a use case for it)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alakaiser posted:

Locking on to the target by pressing L3, obviously.

(I have not actually done this fight nor do I ever actually use target lock but it is amusing that this would technically be a use case for it)

It wouldn't actually help since Kefka is untargettable during that time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just wait for the "look at me" eye to complete and then run to the edge he's teleporting to. There's lots of time.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Control Volume posted:

Space bar is for jumping and s is for walking backwards

This but unironically.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Strafe as close to the safe spot as possible while facing the eye, then book it the rest of the way when the eye resolves.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

For you nerds who are trying to get a house on Excal but don't like Goblet. Just buy a goddamn Goblet plot anyway and sit on it. It'll let you transfer to any available plot the instant it's vacant instead of waiting for the cooldown to go away and praying it doesn't get scooped in the 1-24hr timeframe where it can't be bought by unlanded peasants.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

For you nerds who are trying to get a house on Excal but don't like Goblet. Just buy a goddamn Goblet plot anyway and sit on it. It'll let you transfer to any available plot the instant it's vacant instead of waiting for the cooldown to go away and praying it doesn't get scooped in the 1-24hr timeframe where it can't be bought by unlanded peasants.

Plus if there are empty plots on the densely populated servers, that's a signal to Square that the housing situation is solved.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thank you to the brave goons who almost got me a Tsukuyomi EX clear tonight. If only we hadn't hit enrage that one time.

I hosed up the moon mechanic a hell of a lot at first, sorry. I'm impressed we managed to get past the meteors without using Discord, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Wait, Tsukuyomi actually has an enrage? I've died to mechanics plenty of times but every group that's gotten past, like, the second Akh Morn has cleared.