Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Emboldening? That's quite a claim.

:cool:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Authorial intent was what I was trying to figure out in the first place. Thanks for posting that; I'll take Zach Snyder at his word and not assume he said that just to save face after the fact.

That said, I can't concede that Snyder executed his vision with much success. I mean 300 is a very entertaining movie but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as any Verhoeven film.

It's true, even before 300 came out Snyder would describe of Leonidas as (paraphrasing) "a man driven by and ruling with ideals I'd hope no one attempts to take seriously today" and such so it wasn't like a damage control thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think 300 made much of an impact on me. I guess it was okay, but I don't remember a lot of it other than the big fat guy with hooves and these weird bone swords for hands. That guy looked like a Hellraiser monster.

I remember enjoying Watchmen a lot (but haven't watched it in a while) except the ending being changed. I get that the giant space squid probably would've been a hard sell but I liked that ending better.

They were down for the squid but the reason they didn't do it was because to sell it would require another 30-40 minutes of screentime

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A good satire is always several steps ahead.

Liberals like to skip over the part in Starship Troopers where Rico’s ineffectual patents are just chilling in a mansion, saying ‘war is yucky, come with us on vacation’.

Then they get squished and held up as an example of the freedoms our troops are dying to defend.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That said, I can't concede that Snyder executed his vision with much success. I mean 300 is a very entertaining movie but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as any Verhoeven film re: effectiveness of satire. That's just my opinion though.

What kind of surprises me about the discussion is that Starship Troopers has become an example of plainly obvious satire by Thinking Man Verhoeven, as a point of contrast to 300 and Snyder.

Time Magazine has a pay wall, but I really wish I could post Richard Schickel's review of the film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That said, I can't concede that Snyder executed his vision with much success. I mean 300 is a very entertaining movie but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as any Verhoeven film re: effectiveness of satire. That's just my opinion though.

The problem is that there is no intrinsic "effectiveness of satire." Ideology doesn't work like that. Nobody's mind is changed by a film, you have to consciously engage with the film and be truthful in your own political positions.

With 300, what we see is persistent misdirections from this, instead attributing the fact that America is full of fascists to a particular failing of the film. Meanwhile, we get vague claims that Verhoeven's movies are 'more effective,' or that Pain & Gain is actually deconstructive and critically misunderstood, but no substantiation of how and why. Suddenly, dominant ideology doesn't matter as long as it's a film one likes.

Structurally speaking, none of these films are actually 'effective,' at all. And not because people get 'the wrong message' - it's because nobody actually gives a poo poo about movies. Because they're just movies. They do not intrinsically or automatically impart 'messages' that transform peoples' consciousness and reconstitute their governance of their lives. You have to desire to engage with the film first, whereas the film itself can only act as a symbolic reflection of what already exists within the schema of the collective imaginary.

When folks fail to realize that this is what's going on, we get into really weird situations, like where the satiric point of RoboCop is about how... Murphy heroically reclaims his identity by getting revenge but then just keeps working for the evil corporation? Wait a minute... that's not satire at all! That's a reactionary reading of RoboCop!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

What kind of surprises me about the discussion is that Starship Troopers has become an example of plainly obvious satire by Thinking Man Verhoeven, as a point of contrast to 300 and Snyder.

Time Magazine has a pay wall, but I really wish I could post Richard Schickel's review of the film.

Yeah I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that when Starship Troopers came out a lot of people missed that it was a satire. Ebert said it was a sly satire at best, which I feel is still underselling how much of a satire it is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

When folks fail to realize that this is what's going on, we get into really weird situations, like where the satiric point of RoboCop is about how... Murphy heroically reclaims his identity by getting revenge but then just keeps working for the evil corporation? Wait a minute... that's not satire at all! That's a reactionary reading of RoboCop!

If you're going to retroactively apply RoboCop 2 to how the first movie plays out then sure.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1002202747591016450

who un-greenlighteded this poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's impressive that The Crow remake has now had a longer production than the entire rest of the franchise.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember enjoying Watchmen a lot (but haven't watched it in a while) except the ending being changed. I get that the giant space squid probably would've been a hard sell but I liked that ending better.

Any time I would feel like dedicating 3 hours to Snyder’s Watchmen adaptation, I could probably just read the comics in that amount of time instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Any time I would feel like dedicating 3 hours to Snyder’s Watchmen adaptation, I could probably just read the comics in that amount of time instead.

Anytime I pick up Watchmen, I end up reading the whole thing cover to cover.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Well you could also read Godfather or Jaws instead of watching them, I suppose, for all the good that will do you.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well you could also read Godfather or Jaws instead of watching them, I suppose, for all the good that will do you.

The Godfather and Jaws, the movies, rule. The Godfather and Jaws, the books, suck major rear end. The opposite of this paradigm is true for Watchmen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It's pretty impressive how much of the movie is not CG even if a lot of the scenery typically was. Like I love the look of the wolf at the beginning with the glowing eyes and stuff.

Yeah but I meant specifically how the guy who played Leonidas said he was not that ripped and it was post CG

Like he was cut I'm sure but not to the comic book standards of that movie

Also it was dumb and bad why are y'all still talking about it? Surface reading is all it deserved

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Godfather and Jaws, the movies, rule. The Godfather and Jaws, the books, suck major rear end. The opposite of this paradigm is true for Watchmen.

Nah, the comic is also good.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but I meant specifically how the guy who played Leonidas said he was not that ripped and it was post CG

wait WHAT

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
300 is a pretty important movie on a technical level, that's something that you really can't take away from it. Something so stylized had never become such a mainstream hit before, it was the first movie where people were like "holy poo poo it's like a comic book came to life!" It started a very strong trend that stuck around for quite a while and led to other big hits like Sin City.

Edit: Huh, apparently Sin City came out the year before 300? That's not how I remember it happening at all but ok I guess Sin City deserves the credit.

Yes, I'm sorry to inform you that Fassbender and Faramir were never golden gods with abs carved from marble. Well, maybe Fassbender.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 31, 2018

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, the comic is also good.

That’s what I was saying, the comic is good but the movie’s boring.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That’s what I was saying, the comic is good but the movie’s boring.

Ah, I misunderstood your post, sorry.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My favorite thing about people saying that RoboCop ends on a happy note because he "got revenge and embraced his humanity" is that he didn't even get revenge on the guy who did all this to him. Dick Jones had nothing to do with creating him and actively opposed the whole enterprise, while all the people directly involved (except Miguel Ferrer) walked scot free. The last scene of the film is literally Murphy reporting to the man who authorized his murder as music plays.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, the bad guys won in Robo-Cop before the story even started.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

On Sunday I was in Hollywood and these 2 fast 3 furious bros shut down an intersection so they could do a donut sideshow. Cops couldn't get to them since traffic was jammed but to cap off their getaway they tossed a firework causing a guy to go into seizure on the boulevard. Cops locked it down and ambulance took him away. Since the show was over I went back to drinking at the Star Wars cantina themed bar where we lamented the poor box office showing of Solo even if we understood the causes thereof but it's cool because we got to hang out with ray park a few days prior

haha

e:
Are there 55 year old air force pilots?

e2:

syscall girl posted:

Also it was dumb and bad why are y'all still talking about it? Surface reading is all it deserved

There's a great article about the physical training the actors did for the movie, and how Leonida's actor just blew it off to go drinking instead or something.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 31, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

Yes, I'm sorry to inform you that Fassbender and Faramir were never golden gods with abs carved from marble. Well, maybe Fassbender.

You ruined 300 you monster

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Actually that makes the movie even better. The Spartans would certainly embellish the size of their abs of they were telling a story about themselves

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sort of relevant the Gauls actually had standards of appearance for their armies.

If your gut hung below your belt you were cut off from the vino

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

This is a tragedy worthy of Sophocles.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Shageletic posted:

haha

e:

Yes, usually they are in the Air National Guard. However, Maverick is a Naval Aviator.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that when Starship Troopers came out a lot of people missed that it was a satire. Ebert said it was a sly satire at best, which I feel is still underselling how much of a satire it is.
It always boggles my mind thinking about how many critics missed the point of Starship Troopers at the time. I saw it in theaters at 15 years old and even my dumb rear end understood that we're not really supposed to sympathize with the fascists. I wonder if the problem was that the film was just too blunt about making it's point? To paraphrase Veerhoeven from the DVD commentary: "If you see a black uniform you should know it's: BAD, BAD, BAD!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shageletic posted:

No mandatory age, but you're expected to promote if you want to stay in the forces, and by year 15 he very likely wouldn't be in a position to fly a jet himself most of the time. If he waited until the maximum allowable age to become a pilot (30), unless he became some kind of general and flies because gently caress-you-I'm-a-general, he'd have retired at least five years ago. And he was 24 when the original movie game out, so really he should have been out 11 years ago.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 31, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

syscall girl posted:

Sort of relevant the Gauls actually had standards of appearance for their armies.

If your gut hung below your belt you were cut off from the vino

So Obelix is disqualified?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait, by hanging below the belt, are we talking "dunlop disease?" If not, then Obelix is safe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

:same:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

My favorite thing about people saying that RoboCop ends on a happy note because he "got revenge and embraced his humanity" is that he didn't even get revenge on the guy who did all this to him. Dick Jones had nothing to do with creating him and actively opposed the whole enterprise, while all the people directly involved (except Miguel Ferrer) walked scot free. The last scene of the film is literally Murphy reporting to the man who authorized his murder as music plays.

Explain how Bob Morton and Dick Jones had nothing to do with the societal direction that lead to RoboCop existing. :P

Look at this way:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Part of why the movie resonates so strongly with people is that it's realistic in that one guy got a kinda sorta win for himself instead of one guy bringing down the system or single handedly changing the world. It's a much more personal movie than the parts of it that most people talk about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't understand why people keep comparing 300 to Starship Troopers. It's much closer to Robocop in that it actually succeeds as the thing it's trying to parody (a kick-rear end action movie) but also works on another level. These are the best satires in my opinion: one that can be read completely straight. I like that.

Also interestingly enough Frank Miller wrote Robocop 2 and it's basically Robocop played straight and it's one nasty piece of work.

Every loving chud in a MAGA hat would be 100% ok with Robocop world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't understand why people keep comparing 300 to Starship Troopers. It's much closer to Robocop in that it actually succeeds as the thing it's trying to parody (a kick-rear end action movie) but also works on another level. These are the best satires in my opinion: one that can be read completely straight. I like that.

Also interestingly enough Frank Miller wrote Robocop 2 and it's basically Robocop played straight and it's one nasty piece of work.

Yup. IIRC it's not AS bad as that "Frank Miller's RoboCop 2" comic that came out where some super untalented people made an adaptation of his script but I can understand why it was changed. I do wish RoboCop 1's creators got to do their original idea for a sequel though after the movie got big, as you'd have another movie that's still relevant today.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

The remake puts a much, much nastier twist on this. Without the blaring, triumphal Poledouris soundtrack, you don't know to take Robo's "freedom" as a sick joke.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

So Obelix is disqualified?

:thunk:

You tell him no

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Every loving chud in a MAGA hat would be 100% ok with Robocop world.

I mean, let's not forget that nerds were trying to get a Robocop statue in Detroit for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, let's not forget that nerds were trying to get a Robocop statue in Detroit for some reason.

Christ I forgot about that