Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

This is another one of those LPs that makes me feel like I could make a better Essentials game in six months while drunk than this.
That's not exactly a high bar to clear. You could make a game with zero plot or dialogue, just captures and battles, and it'd be better than this.

Even lovely dialogue would be better as long as it avoids being too edgy or LOLRANDOM, and that's not a high bar to clear either. I'm trying to think of how you'd rewrite, say, Julia to be not-terrible, and it'd probably be quickest just to get rid of her entirely and start from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Haifisch posted:

I'm trying to think of how you'd rewrite, say, Julia to be not-terrible, and it'd probably be quickest just to get rid of her entirely and start from scratch.

Oh, that's easy. You just need to replace her with Megumin, you keep all the explosions while having a far more enjoyable character.

That'll probably need a type change though, Megumin wouldn't use electricity, only explosions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, that's easy. You just need to replace her with Megumin, you keep all the explosions while having a far more enjoyable character.

That'll probably need a type change though, Megumin wouldn't use electricity, only explosions.

Since the game has way too many gyms (or is planning them), a joke leader with an all-self-destructing team could have been great.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

quote:

"Study notes: Ninjask Stat Caps"
"Maximum levels:
HP: 326\nAtk: 306 Def: 207
Sp.Atk: 218\nSp.Def: 218 Speed: 460"

Dragonatrix posted:

I... appreciate(??) that's both pointless, useless cruft and actively, intentionally misleading just because.

This really highlights the... cargo cultish nature of this game, doesn't it? (for lack of a better term) Every design decision we've seen, pretty much, has been imitation without understanding of something, I guess now it's Smogon's turn. It's the same approach they're taking to difficulty and "mature plots".

Isn't that something that people were saying in the Uranium thread too, that the failure mode of fangames is imitating by default without understanding why the original decision was made? It's not even hard to understand how this happens, given they have to (and no doubt want to) maintain some level of familiarity with official entries, but it's incredibly easy to do badly and the end results are... things like this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Haifisch posted:

Even lovely dialogue would be better as long as it avoids being too edgy or LOLRANDOM, and that's not a high bar to clear either. I'm trying to think of how you'd rewrite, say, Julia to be not-terrible, and it'd probably be quickest just to get rid of her entirely and start from scratch.

I was just discussing this with someone, and how most Electric-type Gym leaders are studious or fairly serious, that you could have an excitable peppy Electric Gym Leader being like a kid's Science Show Host (like Bill Nye) or Mythbusters, and theme the gym 'puzzles' around basic principles like conductivity or polarity (for electromagnetism). You can even keep the love of booms, but with tapering so they're not inappropriately giddy over a terrorist bombing.

It wouldn't be anything like Julia, but Julia is a bad character.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Robindaybird posted:

you could have an excitable peppy Electric Gym Leader being like a kid's Science Show Host

Clemont and his little sister Bonnie from Gen 6.

They were irritating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Small brain: Boring straight laced Electric leader
Big brain: Super nerdy and/or peppy Electric leader
Galaxy brain: Fat, jolly Electric leader who is brutal enough to be used as a unit of measurement.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Since the game has way too many gyms (or is planning them), a joke leader with an all-self-destructing team could have been great.

But only if several of the Pokemon you bump into have sturdy.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

Galaxy brain: Fat, jolly Electric leader who is brutal enough to be used as a unit of measurement.

"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they tell me to have a battle with you. Sigh."

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Explopyro posted:

"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they tell me to have a battle with you. Sigh."

"Man, that League Champion battle was at least 2.5 Marvins."

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

That's not exactly a high bar to clear. You could make a game with zero plot or dialogue, just captures and battles, and it'd be better than this.

Now that I think of it, someone making a joke Pokemon fangame in the vein of Megaman Square Root of Negative One would be interesting. On the one hand your content will be far more turgid than a quick MM game, but on the other hand much of the groundwork has already been done. In comparison it's only within the past year or two that the MM fan community has had a robust engine for conjuring up fangames as opposed to reinventing the wheel each time.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 31, 2018

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Explopyro posted:

i like Volkner :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Megaman Square Root of Negative One
How have I never heard of this

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PMush Perfect posted:

How have I never heard of this

Because it sounds imaginary?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Haifisch posted:

A very, very small part of me just wants to rewrite all the text in this game.
It would still be bad, but it would be better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Where does traumatized war veteran Gym Leader fit into this equation?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

chiasaur11 posted:

Where does traumatized war veteran Gym Leader fit into this equation?

Vermillion City.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Reading about the leaked demo for Pokemon Gold/Silver and now reading this thread brought me to a horrible conclusion ... Fangames will totally make polished up versions of those scrapped pokemon and incorporate them into their poo poo, fitting or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ritznit posted:

Reading about the leaked demo for Pokemon Gold/Silver and now reading this thread brought me to a horrible conclusion ... Fangames will totally make polished up versions of those scrapped pokemon and incorporate them into their poo poo, fitting or not.

Y U P. I'm imagining a tonne of "GS remake" hacks are already basing themselves on the prototype version.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

On the other hand, maybe we'll get an AM2R situation and the last one standing will be really good?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly using these unused or changed concepts isn't a terrible idea. I'd even be down for a hacked GS or HGSS that added them in for kicks.
certainly i'd rather they use these than make their own, questionable additions.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Reborn would absolutely be the game to incorporate proto-remoraid which is just A Gun.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

Y U P. I'm imagining a tonne of "GS remake" hacks are already basing themselves on the prototype version.

On the bright side, it would at least lead to a Johto game with more than 2 Ghost-type lines.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ephraim225 posted:

On the bright side, it would at least lead to a Johto game with more than 2 Ghost-type lines.
And then Morty could have more than just Haunter and Gengar!

I've always been baffled that they put a Ghost gym leader into the game with one new ghost type, and didn't even put it into his team.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Haifisch posted:

I've always been baffled that they put a Ghost gym leader into the game with one new ghost type, and didn't even put it into his team.
The same with Pryce and Sneasel.

They really had no idea what to do with a good number of Johto Pokemon (Misdreavus and Sneasel, obviously, but at least Houndour and Murkrow too), so they sort of lazily threw them in the postgame :effort:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

The same with Pryce and Sneasel.

They really had no idea what to do with a good number of Johto Pokemon (Misdreavus and Sneasel, obviously, but at least Houndour and Murkrow too), so they sort of lazily threw them in the postgame :effort:

Lance's team has three Dragonites because they added exactly one dragon in G/S/C (to make a grand total of two fully evolved) and Clair snatched it up for herself.

Kind of insane how prevalent dragon-types are nowadays considering the dearth of them in the first two gens. Same for ghost for that matter.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

rannum posted:

Honestly using these unused or changed concepts isn't a terrible idea. I'd even be down for a hacked GS or HGSS that added them in for kicks.
certainly i'd rather they use these than make their own, questionable additions.

Oh, if they'd be done well, I'd love it. That's exactly the sorta thing fan stuff can explore and have fun with. Nah, I meant specifically bad fangames that just slap them on top without thinking it through.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because it sounds imaginary?

Booooooooo

:golfclap:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Now do one where it's full of eyes.

Done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
By god, it's full of stars eyes!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
poo poo, I didn't realize this was actually a touhoumon hack

azren
Feb 14, 2011

theshim posted:

poo poo, I didn't realize this was actually a touhoumon hack

I was thinking Alucard, but that works too.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I have to say I'm with everyone on how much of a pile of garbage this hack is. I mean, if you're going to make a hack out source the play testing to casuals if you're trying to get everyone to play it so you know what works and what doesn't. Otherwise say SOMEWHERE that it is not to be played like a normal game and that you have to do some actual thinking to get past some parts and not "put best pokemon in first slot, put best move in first slot, press A until victory".

However, there is one thing I have to question OFS about. As you're keeping a running total of a few things, how is it that your "Confirmed Dead" is so off? It should be sitting at a nice 6, not 1. Yes, we know about the one girls boyfriend, but you clearly stated right after the crash that none of the other possible PC avatars made it. Do they not count as real people?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ben Kasack posted:

Do they not count as real people?

Does anyone in this game?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

azren posted:

I was thinking Alucard, but that works too.

I was thinking Pride here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ben Kasack posted:

However, there is one thing I have to question OFS about. As you're keeping a running total of a few things, how is it that your "Confirmed Dead" is so off? It should be sitting at a nice 6, not 1. Yes, we know about the one girls boyfriend, but you clearly stated right after the crash that none of the other possible PC avatars made it. Do they not count as real people?

It's not bluntly stated they are most assuredly dead, and it's not stated how many people are on the train.

The confirmed deaths counter is for when they start killing off characters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Pokemon Zone: Reborn Arc

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

I was thinking Pride here.

My first thought was the country transmutation circle.

Also how often should we be expecting the game to pull an Elesa in terms of surprise team comps?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yukari wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole. She'd gap it into oblivion :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Can't wait for the texture hack where someone replaces all of those with Sharingans.