Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrJacobs posted:

My point was killing Johnathan Kent, who had been a fixture of Superman books for a long time wasn't a great idea. it worked for the film, but it took away one of the more interesting aspects about Clark as a person and required some jumping through hoops just to have him show up again.

I think perhaps you're substituting "interesting" for "comforting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell is your new av btw

Don't try to keep up with the kids, man, it's uncool.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think perhaps you're substituting "interesting" for "comforting".

I found it interesting since him losing his father had been shown in a lot of versions, including the Donner version of Superman. Seeing him be able to have a heart to heart with him as well as his mom made the character more interesting to me since how often to you see a superhero able to do that? Aunt May never knew Parker was Spider-Man for a long loving time, and most everyone else was kind of a loner or an Orphan.

Are there any other A-listers who can call their folks and get some kind of support when poo poo gets rough?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Batman and Alfred springs to mind right away.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Barry Allen and his dad.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Superman calling his mom in the middle of the night because he doesn't know what to do is great. That might be my favorite bit of characterization in any comic book movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MrJacobs posted:

I found it interesting since him losing his father had been shown in a lot of versions, including the Donner version of Superman. Seeing him be able to have a heart to heart with him as well as his mom made the character more interesting to me since how often to you see a superhero able to do that? Aunt May never knew Parker was Spider-Man for a long loving time, and most everyone else was kind of a loner or an Orphan.

Are there any other A-listers who can call their folks and get some kind of support when poo poo gets rough?

Thor

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The problem here of course is that you don't realize the movies are contingent, and the authors could have done anything with the storyline rather than have the "heroes" return to their bullshit rebellion.

Thus you end up defending slavery by saying that it's safer for children.

It's like in the Black Panther thread, where an unironic Wakandan internet patriot deflected criticisms of the movie by claiming that people were asking too much of the heroes - not understanding that anything could happen in fiction, so the heroes could in fact have done much more.

They're a rebellion on the brink of death of which this group is attempting a last ditch effort to help. You're asking them to write the movie about completely different things, not just a more altruistic ending. That's not criticism or critical thought, that's fan fiction.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 31, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

They're a rebellion on the brink of death of which this group is attempting a last ditch effort to help. You're asking them to write the movie about completely different things, not just a more altruistic ending. That's not criticism or critical thought, that's fan fiction.

It's a rebellion that deserves death. It would be good if the creators wrote stories about actual heroics instead.

The same applies to the Avengers franchise.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beavis should've ended with Batman dying after sacrificing his life, not Superman.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Davros1 posted:

Beavis should've ended with Batman dying after sacrificing his life, not Superman.

Beavis should have been the 5th or 6th movie in the franchise, not the 2nd

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Third at most, and blame Warner Brothers for it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They could have just made it a good movie and people wouldn't care what order it was in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

It is. Christopher Nolan made three Batman movies. That makes Beavis the fifth movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It is. Christopher Nolan made three Batman movies. That makes Beavis the fifth movie.
You aren't actually implying that Man Of Steel and the DCEU movies following it are part of Nolan's Batman timeline, are you?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They could have just made it a good movie and people wouldn't care what order it was in.

This is also a strong point

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you haven't caught the discussion before (and I don't blame you) a good chunk of us believe that "cinematic universe" is nothing more than a marketing term. The "universe" is one of theme, not of cannon. See for example: Batman 1989/Batman Returns vs Batman Forever/Batman and Robin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think if they took Wonder woman and YouTube trailers out of the film it would have been markedly improved.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really liked Wonder Woman in the movie, but yeah, if I had to make one change to BvS it would be the superhero trailers. There are funny aspects to them (mostly that Luthor branded them) but they don't add much for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think if they took Wonder woman and YouTube trailers out of the film it would have been markedly improved.

SMG did his best to try to justify them and I like his explanation, but I think it just absolutely slaughters the momentum of the film. If they had even moved that scene before Lex Luthor's diatribe to Superman it would have been more tolerable. Superman flies off to fight Batman, the plot reaches fever pitch...we cut to a hotel room where we dick around for 5 minutes watching previews of Justice League.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crows Turn Off posted:

You aren't actually implying that Man Of Steel and the DCEU movies following it are part of Nolan's Batman timeline, are you?

We are talking about franchises, not timelines.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Both points are partially accurate.

WB mangled the movie at the last minute to cut 20+ minutes out of it to get more showings per day, so it feels like there's stuff missing or that it is rushed. That gives the impression that we needed some Batman standalone movie to prepare us for the idea that Batman would react super weirdly/badly to his friends and family dying in a way that is beyond his control.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The idea seems to be that 1) the MCU succeeded because it gave everyone the backstories for these characters before the big teamup and that 2) BvS needed to also do that (although 4 or 5 previous movies seems wayyy excessive).

So while Nolan's movies aren't "canon" to the current universe, they give you enough of a background on an aging Batman who has finally figured out how to step away from the cowl, only to be brought back by a massive tragedy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They were Quicktime files, sir!

.FLV couldn't contain Cyborg! Only a .MP4 could hold that kind of power.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SMG did his best to try to justify them and I like his explanation, but I think it just absolutely slaughters the momentum of the film. If they had even moved that scene before Lex Luthor's diatribe to Superman it would have been more tolerable. Superman flies off to fight Batman, the plot reaches fever pitch...we cut to a hotel room where we dick around for 5 minutes watching previews of Justice League.

Even if the trailers weren't dumb, the fact that they decided to have an extended 20+ minute climax AND cut away in the middle of the climax to spend 5 minutes watching Wonder Woman scroll through a folder and double-click quicktime files is a baffling editing, writing, and directing choice.

A 20+ minute climax is inevitably going to lose momentum after a certain point, but going out of your way to kill it makes no sense.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bruce Wayne not having the mansion is to put us in mind of Dark Knight Batman, who has gone full corporate and operates a batcave out of Wayne Enterprises with the assistance of Lucius Fox. So when Zod/Superman tank the Wayne Enteprises building, killing the Lucius Fox exec figure, it's not just an attack on Bruce Wayne. It's implicitly an attack on Batman, who has had to skulk back up to the shadow of the burned-out mansion to his backup Batcave.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

We are talking about franchises, not timelines.
I mean, I thought it was pretty clear he was referring to the current generation not the Batman movies as a whole. If you do that, then you might as well including Batman 66, Burton's Batman generation, the animated movies....

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Even if the trailers weren't dumb, the fact that they decided to have an extended 20+ minute climax AND cut away in the middle of the climax to spend 5 minutes watching Wonder Woman scroll through a folder and double-click quicktime files is a baffling editing, writing, and directing choice.

A 20+ minute climax is inevitably going to lose momentum after a certain point, but going out of your way to kill it makes no sense.

Yeah another legit problem I have with the film - and the thing that makes it a lesser movie to Man of Steel IMO - is that the movie's arc seemed to be "Can Superman convince this broken man - a stand-in for society - in his power for good?"

And...he does! Hell yeah! And then we spend another hour goofin' off with Human Cudgel Batman and Troll Doomsday. I mean, I wouldn't want to miss the Batman Warehouse Fight and Superman vs Doomsday Laser Eye Battle, but from a thematic point everything that comes after it feels a bit perfunctory (until Superman rides the lightning, of course, which is right back on theme)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean, I thought it was pretty clear he was referring to the current generation not the Batman movies as a whole. If you do that, then you might as well including Batman 66, Burton's Batman generation, the animated movies....

It isn’t exactly an entire generation between now and The Dark Knight Rises in 2012.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean, why not?

Marvel obviously thought Spider-Man had been well established enough to put him in a crossover movie without first being established in the MCU canon.

We don't really need specific moments from canon Batman's life in order to appreciate BvS more, we just need to know what he is about and why seeing a building full of his employees destroyed would cause him to go on an insane crusade. Any Batman media would be sufficient for that, the Nolan movies were just recent and super popular, and kind of segue perfectly into the opening of BvS (Bruce is basically retired from Batmaning and only returns because of a second traumatic event on the level of his parents being murdered).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And then they cast Ben Affleck.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ben Affleck was good though

Although I agree they couldn't have cast a person more designed to piss off nerds

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit: my phone acting up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Affleck's performance was better suited for a Schumacher Batman film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Affleck was good though

Although I agree they couldn't have cast a person more designed to piss off nerds

Work with me on this

Just

Stay with me

Idris

Elba

Batman

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Burkion posted:

Work with me on this

Just

Stay with me

Idris

Elba

Batman

Only if he does his American accent that inexplicably slips into a British accent halfway through each sentence from Pacific Rim as the Batman voice.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

Work with me on this

Just

Stay with me

Idris

Elba

Batman

Elba would've been good for either Batman or Superman.

Denzel Washington would've been a far better choice than Affleck.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Davros1 posted:

Affleck's performance was better suited for a Schumacher Batman film.

He's amazing in the attack on metropolis scene. He establishes himself as Batman without the suit and toys while the audience is being launched into the middle of a disaster movie climax.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

It's placement in the film is so bad that I'm almost convinced Snyder did it as a joke after being told it had to be in the movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Almost Blue posted:

It's placement in the film is so bad that I'm almost convinced Snyder did it as a joke after being told it had to be in the movie

I believe I saw an interview with him where he really did seem to be keen on the idea. I can't find it though and keep in mind I've jumbled my memories before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I believe I saw an interview with him where he really did seem to be keen on the idea. I can't find it though and keep in mind I've jumbled my memories before.

He seems to think it was great, especially Cyborg.

According to his wife, it wasn't in the original script and Snyder added it in himself during filming.

quote:

I think that one of the more intriguing hidden gems comes when the film is introducing the audience to other Justice League heroes. That’s the first glimpse of the Mother Box there. It was an agonizing birth. I really wanted to show Cyborg’s birth because I feel like he plays such a strong part coming up, and I really wanted to give a sense of him. I really want [the audience] to know how far he’s come. Like many births, it’s both miraculous — and painful.

The first thing we had was the Justice League concept - the other movies, in a way, have to support that. That is our Wonder Woman, our Aquaman. They have their own creative concepts that supports them, but they do serve Justice League in the coming together of those heroes. What we are doing is ground up all the way. It is one giant story. So, I think it is pretty incredible to see, in Batman vs. Superman, the Justice League introduced together, one by one.

I want all the other directors of the other films to be able to stretch their legs and do what they want, but at the same time there is a big interconnected universe. I have given everyone amazing access to our story, to me, and what we are doing. All the films have like-minded conceptual jumping on points.

This is what his wife said about how they decided to add the Flash dream and the Wonder Woman PC browsing:

quote:

This was kind of the opposite [of Breaking Bad] because we had the script and it wasn’t in the script. As we started then we worked on our script, I think we were in the middle of shooting and we started working on the outline for the next movie and where they go, and Zack said, ‘Oh my God let’s add this moment that is gonna pay off down the road, and we’ll find out more information.’