Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

learnincurve posted:

Why the gently caress are people deliberately ignoring that cycle helmets are rated to 12mph and will be as useless as a chocolate teapot over that speed, all they are are plastic wrapped polystyrene, not Kevlar.

learnincurve posted:

Im at one with the idea that people are being deliberately obtuse in ignoring that bike helmets are only rated for a fall off of a bike going 12mph, and not rated for being hit by a car going 60.

No, the rating is because when you fall off a bike, your head is likely to hit the ground at a speed of 12 mph because of gravity. The speed at which you're riding has nothing to do with the rating, since gravity pulls downward and people don't generally ride into walls with their heads first. If you factor in a car any rating is meaningless because a car will kill you no matter how much "kevlar" you're wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So what we're saying is the main problem with helmets is psychological. Both the increased likelihood of the cyclist to act like a daredevil but also that other road users, car drivers are, for whatever reason, more likely to act unsafely around a helmeted cyclist. The solution is car drivers who do not suffer from this peculiar flaw, the answer is robot cars as I said last week.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lots of non-cyclists in this thread getting remarkably heated over the choices that people who do cycle make about wearing or not wearing a helmet :v:

There are EU countries with a hefty fine for children not wearing a helmet while cycling, or for that matter skiing. It did help lower the injury rate somewhat actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do have to wonder what is going on in the mind of a driver that sees someone wearing a helmet and thinks "hmm, yes, I can drive closer to them, because the helmet protects them"

I can only assume they own a lot of magical talismans to keep tigers away.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why does cyclist chat always bring the worst out of UKMT?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

I do have to wonder what is going on in the mind of a driver that sees someone wearing a helmet and thinks "hmm, yes, I can drive closer to them, because the helmet protects them"

it's probably that if you look like someone who's bad at cycling then people will assume you're going to fall off at any moment and give you a wider berth

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rarity posted:

It's because all cyclists are arseholes, just like all drivers are

The difference is only one set of arseholes tend to get killed in the interaction between the two

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Private Speech posted:

There are EU countries with a hefty fine for children not wearing a helmet while cycling, or for that matter skiing. It did help lower the injury rate somewhat actually.

We have one. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the law about making helmets available, so I'm effectively banned from cycling because nobody will sell me one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

The worst are hydrobikes, they never give way for my boat, even when I have the wind to starboard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

it's probably that if you look like someone who's bad at cycling then people will assume you're going to fall off at any moment and give you a wider berth

I assume that's going to happen anyway and I don't see why wearing a helmet makes you look better at cycling, surely it means you expect to fall off??

Plus how do you even see whether they're wearing a helmet cos they always have their heads buried in the handlebars and their arses in the air. All I ever see is a pair of lycra shorts wiggling up and down.

I entirely believe there are insane people out there who believe that helmets are like a magic circle against cars +1 but I can't say I understand them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Skarsnik posted:

It's because all cyclists are arseholes, just like all drivers are

The difference is only one set of arseholes tend to get killed in the interaction between the two
Implant all cyclists with bombs that trigger on serious injury.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rarity posted:

Well the worst parties to this have their sandwiches cut in the wrong way, with a side of the wrong monster munch (not even the "meh" ones) and they also mispronounce scone

Doomed etc

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Bloody hell 300-odd posts in a few hours, what’s happening in British politics?

Oh. It’s loving bike chat again.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is there much evidence this is true? I can only find a story about one guy who rode through Bristol on a handful of occasions and measured the gap cars left for him. I can certainly see it being true, but it's hardly a wealth of evidence.

I mean he put on a blonde wig and used that to extrapolate that women get given more space, instead of using an actual woman. He's a few steps from being published in Nature.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Implant all cyclists with bombs that trigger on serious injury.

If there's one thing this thread tells us it's that cyclists have enough triggers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DesperateDan posted:

Well the worst parties to this have their sandwiches cut in the wrong way, with a side of the wrong monster munch (not even the "meh" ones) and they also mispronounce scone

Doomed etc

loving pickled onion monster munch dammit I'm triggered

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* no idea but it doesn't sound any stupider than anything else I expect people to do on a regular basis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cycling chat needs to be added to the banned topics jfc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

guardian at least giving the 2 actually major bits of news the headlines

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When I was driving into and out of Weymouth, there were matrix signs advising of a weather warning and some nasty looking clouds seemed to be forming up, but it looks like I missed it. And then when I went to leave Weymouth, my satnav honestly said my second best choice of route to go home was to drive to Lymington, catch a ferry to Yarmouth on the Isle Of Wight, drive from Yarmouth to Fishbourne, then get a ferry back to Portsmouth. I love technology

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

guardian at least giving the 2 actually major bits of news the headlines

I admire the protest, but I hope they used fake pills. Authenticity is awesome but you might as well avoid the two weeks of abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding, no-one's gonna know.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

cause it will be stolen and/or smashed, people are dicks

Hence the lock. I feel if they're going to steal/smash your helmet they'll do the same to your bike tbh

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
its biscuit chat now discuss this chart and why you think its wrong

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I feel like mandatory helmets and five point safety harnesses in cars would save more lives than mandatory cycle helmets

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are cycle helmets zero-rated for VAT? I know motorcycle helmets are, as are other items of legally-mandated PPE like hard hats and steel-toecap boots, but motorbike leathers aren't as they're not a legal requirement for riding on the road.

Yes they are, as long as they're up to EU safety standards and stamped accordingly.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

bump_fn posted:

A Jaffa Cake is, by definition, a cake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

That might actually be the wrongest chart I've ever come across if applied to me.

Party Boat posted:

five point safety harnesses in cars

Those things look great honestly and I kinda want one.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
none of those look remotely edible

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bump_fn posted:

fig roll is my favourite of those and everyone in gbs is well aware of my thoughts about pegging

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that just "wear a motorcycle helmet" ?

Like, if motorcycle helmets were able to do their job without being motorcycle helmets surely they would be?

The fundamental problem with bicycle helmets is they don't protect anything like enough of the head:

Here's a diagram showing the most common impact zones on a motorcycle helmet. Obviously the standout area there is the face - almost a half of impacts with absolutely no protection - but the actual killers are the areas at the bottom/back of the head. Injuries there are almost always serious, and almost no bicycle helmets cover that area.

You don't actually have to abide by the ECE motorcycle helmet standards - in particular the abrasion resistance, which adds a considerable amount of weight and basically requires the helmet shell to be unbroken. You're unlikely to be sliding along at 100kph, which is the basis of the ECE standards, after a bicycle crash and if you are there are going to be a lot more problems. Of course a mostly-unbroken helmet shell is going to be loving terrible for ventilation, and a large solid chinbar likewise.

You absolutely *can* make helmets that match ECE standards for impact and penetration resistance but still allow proper ventilation for cooling and breathing, and indeed Bell and Troy Lee both sell lightened versions of their MX helmets for that purpose. They also look way cooler than normal bike helmets:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is pegging a dark thought?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
^^depends on your mood I guess?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

All your favourite biscuits, lovingly rendered as clip art.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wear your loving bike helmets Jesus Christ. You're one erratic pedestrian brandishing a bag away from a wheelchair.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Here's a diagram showing the most common impact zones on a motorcycle helmet. Obviously the standout area there is the face - almost a half of impacts with absolutely no protection - but the actual killers are the areas at the bottom/back of the head. Injuries there are almost always serious, and almost no bicycle helmets cover that area.

I've never seen a bike helmet that didn't extend so far out the back that it let the back of the head strike the ground before the back of the helmet/shoulders. It would have to be like a precision landing across a guard rail.

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 31, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cafe noir biscuits actually do look like that IRL, they're somewhat uncanny, very nice though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
goddamnedtwisto What’s the mouth ventilation like on that for breathing? (Also it’s exact name so I can google?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The fundamental problem with bicycle helmets is they don't protect anything like enough of the head:

Ah yeah I've seen cycle cross people wear those I think and they're sensible, big spur to stop your face smashing into everything. I'd probably want one of those if I was on a bike.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

gently caress off.

And yes, Cafe Noir is truly the Neutral Evil biscuit

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I feel like mandatory helmets and five point safety harnesses in cars would save more lives than mandatory cycle helmets

Not likely. I've said it before but cars are basically magic boxes of survival these days. Multiple airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, side-impact bars, automatic braking, etc. etc.

A new Mercedes will even use the stereo to play a very loud burst of 'pink noise' the instant before a crash, because it's been shown to protect your ears against hearing damage from the noise of the impact.

It can't really be overstated how much safer you are in a multi-million pound engineered cocoon of protection than riding about with or without a polystyrene box on your head.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2018

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

goddamnedtwisto What’s the mouth ventilation like on that for breathing? (Also it’s exact name so I can google?)

It's a Bell Full 9 but make sure you're sitting down before you see the price - it's at the pricey end even for motorbike helmets. I've not used one personally, I have a nice sensible Shoei GT-Air, but MX helmets in general are very very good for breathing - the beak is entirely open at top and bottom, so it's no impediment at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is so much impact protection on my parents Nissan cash ki (not know how to spell it) fake 4x4 thing that there is less room inside than a Ford Focus.

• Locked thread