Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you need impact protection on one of those? I assume you would just monster truck your way over anything you hit smaller than a tree.

My mother likes those giant faux by fours and I can't see why, seems like it'd be a lot more hassle to drive something that gigantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Not likely. I've said it before but cars are basically magic boxes of survival these days. Multiple airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, side-impact bars, automatic braking, etc. etc.

A new Mercedes will even use the stereo to play a very loud burst of 'pink noise' the instant before a crash, because it's been shown to protect your ears against hearing damage from the noise of the impact.

It can't really be overstated how much safer you are in a multi-million pound engineered cocoon of protection than riding about with or without a polystyrene box on your head.

And this is why accident rates are going up - not just because of the risk compensation problem, but the massively overengineered A-pillars, chock-full of airbags, in modern cars can conceal not just motorbikes but entire cars if the driver's too lazy to move their head a bit. I only drive very rarely but every time I do I'm astonished just how little you can actually see out of them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Do you need impact protection on one of those? I assume you would just monster truck your way over anything you hit smaller than a tree.

Lol no, hilariously modern MPVs have loving terrible ground clearance and the wheels are set far too far from the corners, so it's perfectly possible to write off your massive faux-by-four by misjudging the distance to a kerb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol no, hilariously modern MPVs have loving terrible ground clearance and the wheels are set far too far from the corners, so it's perfectly possible to write off your massive faux-by-four by misjudging the distance to a kerb.

Yeah you'll gently caress the car sure but I can't imagine the weight and size of it would pose much threat to the occupants.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

massively overengineered A-pillars, chock-full of airbags, in modern cars can conceal not just motorbikes but entire cars if the driver's too lazy to move their head a bit. I only drive very rarely but every time I do I'm astonished just how little you can actually see out of them.

This is a gigantic problem and I hate it, I would prefer to risk death and be able to see where the gently caress I'm going.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Custard creams are evil in biccie form. I'm crap a riding bikes coz I wobble and I is fat.
I miss my little scooter, I loved riding it but it got nicked because it was 5lbs of plastic you could pick up and walk away with. Plus I nearly died a few times because of car wankers
I am now a car wanker

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

learnincurve posted:

That is to be fair, a bloody silly argument WhatEvil. The point is that a cycle helmet is designed to protect you from an accident that rarely happens (falling off all on your own) and not from an accident involving anything else, such as going at even 15mph downhill into a wall, let alone an encounter with a car. Cycle helmets need to be rated for at least 30mph but they are rated for 12mph. The only good thing they would be useful for in a collision with a lorry would be that the paramedics have all of the bits of your scull nicely contained.

I’ve seen someone die right in front of me going 3mph when another car hit him from the side, there is no situation where it’s safe not to have an airbag.

My point is "Well it won't protect you from everything so I'm not going to wear one :colbert:" is also pretty bloody silly, no? The fact that I literally know a guy who fell of a bike at a slow speed, knocked his head on a curb and paralysed half of his body permanently makes me feel like maybe they're still a good idea. The fact that if I get hit by a car I might still die doesn't make it a ridiculous idea to wear one. In fact, thinking about it, I have literally been hit by a car that was probably going 30mph and my helmet protected my head perfectly. Admittedly from the type of crash it was I probably still wouldn't have hurt my head very much but even so, why take more of a risk? Your argument seems to be "well it won't protect you from everything so why bother at all?" but that's a really lovely argument. It's not just "will it stop you from getting killed in a 60mph crash yes/no?" because obviously it won't, but neither will a motorbike helmet, not in all cases. It's about "might I get into the kind of accident where a helmet might stop me from getting hurt in a minor way OR potentially in a major way, or if I am in a minor accident, might it not completely prevent but lessen my injuries" in which case the answer is yes. If I were arguing that putting a hair net on your head might save you from a motorway crash then I could see your point. Cyclists often get killed by getting mangled under a truck and a helmet won't protect you against that either but I'd still rather have one on.

It's anecdotal I know but the fact that I personally have had one experience where my helmet stopped me hitting my head and know another who has had his life completely changed by hitting his head in an incident where I car wasn't involved tells me something. I'm not stupid enough to think that "well I have a helmet on now, I'm safe to ride my bike the wrong way up the motorway!" but loving hell, some protection is better than nothing so long as you don't let it make your behaviour any riskier.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wear a helmet when I ride my bike not because I think it will protect me from every car impact but because if I do get hit by a car i'd rather have a + 0.11114% chance of not being brain dead than not.

Also because it makes me look like a proper bell end.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Why the gently caress are people deliberately ignoring that cycle helmets are rated to 12mph and will be as useless as a chocolate teapot over that speed, all they are are plastic wrapped polystyrene, not Kevlar.

Just dragging this one back but almost all motorcycle helmets are plastic wrapped polystyrene too. The carbon-kevlar shell on (some) bike helmets is about penetration and abrasion resistance, not about impact. There's even some evidence that - contrary to popular belief - polycarb shells actually improve impact resistance slightly because although they do not themselves disperse impact in the way a composite shell does, by remaining intact on the initial impact they allow the EPS to do it's job much better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

This is a gigantic problem and I hate it, I would prefer to risk death and be able to see where the gently caress I'm going.

All cars should be built like LMP race cars - really good impact resistance but no roof or even windscreen. I bet that would calm a few dickheads down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a Bell Full 9 but make sure you're sitting down before you see the price - it's at the pricey end even for motorbike helmets. I've not used one personally, I have a nice sensible Shoei GT-Air, but MX helmets in general are very very good for breathing - the beak is entirely open at top and bottom, so it's no impediment at all.

Was expecting that, we have bell motorcycle helmets we replace every three years* and it costs a small fortune. Wish I could justify buying one for light trails but I don’t go out on them enough anymore.

*not getting into the debate again, but just reminding people that you need to regularly replace all types of helmet, and also if you drop or knock it, no matter if you have used it or not. Recommended life on them is 3-5 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All cars should be built like LMP race cars - really good impact resistance but no roof or even windscreen. I bet that would calm a few dickheads down.

If you're going to do that I'm just going to move to a motorbike + sidecar because not having to sit in the rain is basically the only reason I would prefer a car.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And this is why accident rates are going up - not just because of the risk compensation problem, but the massively overengineered A-pillars, chock-full of airbags, in modern cars can conceal not just motorbikes but entire cars if the driver's too lazy to move their head a bit. I only drive very rarely but every time I do I'm astonished just how little you can actually see out of them.

Turns out car manufacturers have been solving the trolley problem for years - cram the car with protection and gently caress anyone who might disappear in the blind spots.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bump_fn posted:

its biscuit chat now discuss this chart and why you think its wrong

Rich tea. No ambition. Got it in one.

Well I wouldn't mind being some kind of multiversal overlord but my current ambition level is somewhere between "gently caress it" and "can't be arsed to get out of bed". I'll get around to it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bump_fn posted:

what the gently caress is a ‘cafe noir’ and why is it in this chart instead of a chocolate finger

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

what the gently caress is a ‘cafe noir’ and why is it in this chart instead of a chocolate finger

It's basically a rectangle of coffee flavoured icing sugar with some kind of stodge stuck to the bottom.

It's nice but I dispute whether or not it is a biscuit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If you're going to do that I'm just going to move to a motorbike + sidecar because not having to sit in the rain is basically the only reason I would prefer a car.

Lol I've ridden motorbikes for 24 years now and there's literally no way you'd get me on an outfit. All the danger of a motorbike, all the inconvenience of a car, plus a load of problems utterly unique to themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you're offering a trike or something I'd take that but lol I couldn't stay upright on a motorbike, I have yet to figure out how to walk on a paved flat surface consistently without falling over and loving my ankles up.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

bump_fn posted:

Where the gently caress are Penguins on this chart?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

learnincurve posted:

There is so much impact protection on my parents Nissan cash ki (not know how to spell it) fake 4x4 thing that there is less room inside than a Ford Focus.

I think it's a kashkai? Fun fact, if you say "kashkai" it sounds like an Irish person saying "cash cow".

Spider Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Make tea not war
Slow news day then?

Bojo is a helmet rebel

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only cos he lost it on his last secret mission as brexitman.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only biscuits we ever get at work are custard creams, malted milks or hobnobs and it gets me loving raging

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

WhatEvil posted:

I think it's a kashkai? Fun fact, if you say "kashkai" it sounds like an Irish person saying "cash cow".

Certainly a cashcow for nissan, it's their biggest seller.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Rarity posted:

The only biscuits we ever get at work are custard creams, malted milks or hobnobs and it gets me loving raging

Chocolate hobnobs?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you're offering a trike or something I'd take that but lol I couldn't stay upright on a motorbike, I have yet to figure out how to walk on a paved flat surface consistently without falling over and loving my ankles up.

The fundamental problem with an outfit is that they're asymmetric - your acceleration and braking forces are all happening right out to one side, so you need to steer right when you accelerate and left when you brake. Then of course you have the problem of the chair lifting on left-handers and the rear wheel on the bike lifting on right-handers, losing you grip and potentially just pitching you off.

Even if you get a 2WD Ural it doesn't have a diff so will tend to break away at the rear almost constantly (fnarr) and that's without even getting into the fact that every single instinct you learn on a motorbike will be exactly wrong on an outfit.

And now I'll let you into the dirty little secret of biking (powered or not) - you don't actually need to have a sense of balance to ride one at anything above about 3mph. They sort all that poo poo out for you, and the only thing you have to learn is to get out of their way and let them do their thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did have a pedal bike when I was small and I didn't ever manage to figure out how not to fall of that either.

So I think now I am older and probably can't recover as easily from skidding 10 feet down the pavement on the side of my face, it's probably wisdom not to try and acquire that skillset.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Belatedly, but.

If you're going to cycle you really should wear a helmet. I had a bicycle accident in 2001 (while in Kenya on a locally made bike), where I faceplanted down a steep road after my brakes failed. Was out cold for about 45 minutes, and it took about six hours to get to even basic medical attention. Now, I recognise that that's a very different situation from riding in a modern city, but if I was wearing a helmet I A. wouldn't have lost most of the skin on one side of my face (I looked like the phantom of the opera for about six weeks after; luckily I didn't scar up too bad) or B. suffered life changing head injuries that have resulted in me failing out of university and then spending my entire adult life either struggling with mental illness or recovering from it. Right now I had another outbreak in 2016, and I've been out of work since then as a result.

Seriously, brains are fragile and weird things and you only get one. Wear a helmet- I would if I could bring myself to get on two wheels again.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WhatEvil posted:

A Nordie maybe, but not really.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

are people actually arguing about whether to wear a helmet on a bike for 300 posts?

sometimes usually this thread sucks

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The fundamental problem with an outfit is that they're asymmetric - your acceleration and braking forces are all happening right out to one side, so you need to steer right when you accelerate and left when you brake. Then of course you have the problem of the chair lifting on left-handers and the rear wheel on the bike lifting on right-handers, losing you grip and potentially just pitching you off.
Just put one on each side.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

My mother likes those giant faux by fours and I can't see why, seems like it'd be a lot more hassle to drive something that gigantic.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Camrath, that sounds really poo poo, I hope you’re recovering OK. What sort of work do you usually do?

On biscuits, clearly oatmeal and raisin cookies are the only correct choice. They are the chaotic good choice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Now, in fairness, that does suggest that the stupid truck did attempt to monster truck the mini, but like real monster trucks it's actually quite easy to flip it in the process.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Now, in fairness, that does suggest that the stupid truck did attempt to monster truck the mini, but like real monster trucks it's actually quite easy to flip it in the process.

That's a 2016 Toyota Hilux horrifically failing the 'moose test', and nearly flipping over from a swerve at 35mph.

They had to substantially revise the car as a result, but it shows how unstable cars with a high centre of gravity can be.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Where in Ireland do people talk like that?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

crispix posted:

Darby O' Gill land, where the majority of Britain forms its opinions of Irish people

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Qashqai. For some reason.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

crispix posted:

Belfast?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

bump_fn posted:

I loving love fig rolls and I'm into all the weird poo poo so :getin:

The only problem I have with this chart is no hob nobs or malted milks and what the gently caress is this cafe noir poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

No, mate. I think you were being silly, weren't you? :/

• Locked thread